Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

graventy posted:

that's not his trademark squint!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
If anyone is wondering when the MCU people became good at conversions, it was Guardians 1 and onward. (minus Age of Ultron because lol nothing goes right with that movie.)

Antman and Doctor Strange were the two MCU movies that won me over for MCU 3D. Especially the Quantum Realm stuff in Antman.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The last 15+ months has been such trash for big budget movies, Avatar probably has a better chance being released this year than 2015-2019.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I feel like Avatar is just one of those things that doesn't work in today's climate.

It's about a disabled guy who puts his consciousness into another the body of another species because he hates having to use a wheelchair and adopts their ways and customs and is the person who helps them overcome the evil forces.

What about that description is not at all problematic in 2021?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Cemetry Gator posted:

I feel like Avatar is just one of those things that doesn't work in today's climate.

It's about a disabled guy who puts his consciousness into another the body of another species because he hates having to use a wheelchair and adopts their ways and customs and is the person who helps them overcome the evil forces.

The sequels, apparently, are going to be about his cat kids.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I can’t imagine anyone giving half a gently caress about Sam Worthington anymore. He wasn’t exactly beloved 10 years ago.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

drat that's ugly

This one's nicer:

https://twitter.com/HighDefDiscNews/status/1405603446426906629?s=20

I'm not buying any version, but this one does look better.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Franchescanado posted:

My Blood Valentine 3D and?

Cave of Forgotten Dreams. In fact it's the only 3D movie I ever saw where I actually enjoyed the 3D effect rather than being annoyed by it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I liked spiral but not nearly enough to buy it. I’d watch it one more time though.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

Nope. Egbert pointed out yesterday that that's one of the last big milestones for the format. Which label's gonna make the first silent film UHD, and what the movie will be.

The 4K restorations used for the Blu-rays of Speedy (Harold Lloyd), The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, The General (Buster Keaton), and The Kid (Chaplin) are all such excellent quality that there may be an incentive.

Only problem is that per Kino Lorber, who has released the most silents on Blu-ray so far, their best-selling titles have been Metropolis, Nosferatu, and Phantom of the Opera. Both films with compromised film elements and wouldn’t exactly be 4K material. There’s evidence that Phantom might be one of Universal’s silent film restorations as they recently did The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Metropolis would require a full re-do in 4K and there’s still the heavily damaged 16mm footage from the uncut print, though it’s plausible there’s software available now to help out that.

From what I can see on Blu-ray.com, here’s the top 10 silent films in the most collections:

1. Metropolis (2K restoration)
2. The Gold Rush (6K scan of silent version, 2K restoration)
3. City Lights (4K scan of nitrate dupe negative, 2K restoration)
4. Safety Last! (2K restoration from nitrate print)
5. The Phantom Carriage (2K restoration)
6. Nosferatu (2K restoration)
7. The Kid (4K restoration from camera negative and fine-grain)
8. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (4K restoration from camera negative and nitrate prints)
9. Haxan (2K restoration)
10. The Lodger (2K restoration)

Even for the oldest films on UHD so far, let’s look at what the sources were:

The Wizard of Oz - Original nitrate 3-strip camera negatives for bulk of the film, B&W/sepia portions from nitrate fine-grain positives and I think some shots in the Technicolor bulk are from fine-grains (high quality positive made off the negative). An obvious choice between the prime material and possibility for color.
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Primarily from the camera negative, with some bits taken from a nitrate fine-grain and nitrate print.
It’s a Wonderful Life - Also primarily from the nitrate camera negative, only used a nitrate fine-grain for damage at the beginning and end of reels.

What silent films besides Dr. Caligari and The Kid have restorations primarily from camera negatives? Warner’s The Big Parade was apparently 4K scan/2K restoration using the 35mm “B” nitrate camera negative with sections taken from a 30s fine-grain. The sales were apparently disappointing to Warner and they never released another silent film on Blu-ray besides The Jazz Singer (which has a 4K restoration). The Cameraman was licensed to Criterion, but is a patchwork of a 50s fine-grain and two 16mm prints, despite being restored in 4K.

I do think that Abel Gance’s Napoleon has a shot because the new restoration is 4K and would be justified if just for the 3-panel parts. And apparently the majority is from camera negative this time. At worst, we’ll at least get it in 4K HDR through Netflix this winter.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 17, 2021

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

This one's nicer:

https://twitter.com/HighDefDiscNews/status/1405603446426906629?s=20

I'm not buying any version, but this one does look better.

It's an improvement but still not great. That disc art is solid tho

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Spatulater bro! posted:

Cave of Forgotten Dreams. In fact it's the only 3D movie I ever saw where I actually enjoyed the 3D effect rather than being annoyed by it.

Also Dredd.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
The one movie I saw in 3D that actually used it to good effect was Drive Angry. There's this great shot where Nicholas Cage is driving angry and the windshield of the car is showing a different scene he's remembering while you can see his face though a hole in the glass. It was really impressive how perfectly they created the illusion of depth for that. I still imagine a more beautiful world where Crank 3D was made.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The darkening of every scene in Rogue One by the 3D effect made CG Peter Cushing appear less objectionable.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Egbert Souse posted:

From what I can see on Blu-ray.com, here’s the top 10 silent films in the most collections:

1. Metropolis (2K restoration)
2. The Gold Rush (6K scan of silent version, 2K restoration)
3. City Lights (4K scan of nitrate dupe negative, 2K restoration)
4. Safety Last! (2K restoration from nitrate print)
5. The Phantom Carriage (2K restoration)
6. Nosferatu (2K restoration)
7. The Kid (4K restoration from camera negative and fine-grain)
8. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (4K restoration from camera negative and nitrate prints)
9. Haxan (2K restoration)
10. The Lodger (2K restoration)

Most of these don't come as a surprise to me, but I didn't expect to see Häxan in the top 10. Was there a big marketing push when it came out or did the premise just intrigue a lot of people?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Samuel Clemens posted:

Most of these don't come as a surprise to me, but I didn't expect to see Häxan in the top 10. Was there a big marketing push when it came out or did the premise just intrigue a lot of people.

I just think it's had a surge in popularity over the past few years. I see people post the Criterion online, it was/is featured on Criterion Channel, and it's had a lot of GIFs made from it. In 2019, I saw it in theaters with a live score, and that was a pretty full showing without it selling out. And it was pretty popular in one or two October Horror Challenge threads.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Franchescanado posted:

Coraline

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It’s also one of the more interesting silents I’ve seen, just because it’s part documentary and part “re-enactment”. It’s oddly fun with a crowd.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s also one of the more interesting silents I’ve seen, just because it’s part documentary and part “re-enactment”. It’s oddly fun with a crowd.

It's non-stop physical effects, too. It's visually appealing, and the representations of Satan, demons and witches is pretty funny these days. Really good for throwing on a screen at a Halloween party for background visuals. I highly recommend seeing it in theaters with a live band performing a score for it, if you ever get that opportunity.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Yeah, I definitely don't mind it getting more exposure because it's a great film. I'm just surprised to see it outperform the collected works of such titants of the silent era as Keaton, von Stroheim, Vidor, Eisenstein, and Dreyer.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Haxan owns hard.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

On top of some of the ones mentioned, Hugo, Prometheus, The Great Gatsby, Doctor Strange, Gravity.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Prometheus was great in 3D, the sandstorm was wild.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

On top of some of the ones mentioned, Hugo, Prometheus, The Great Gatsby, Doctor Strange, Gravity.
Gravity is the most fun and I can’t believe I haven’t mentioned it in a previous post. I don’t think I could ever watch that in 2d. In 3d it was like a theme park ride.

If most of my collection wasn’t in storage I could go through and probably name a few other good ones.

Off the top of my head: X-Men Days of Future Past, Antman, Both Guardians movies, Last Jedi, and Terminator 2.

There are def some bad movies that looked great like the Transformers and Resident Evil movies shot in 3d but harder to recommend those movies.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Spacebump posted:

Gravity is the most fun and I can’t believe I haven’t mentioned it in a previous post. I don’t think I could ever watch that in 2d. In 3d it was like a theme park ride.

If most of my collection wasn’t in storage I could go through and probably name a few other good ones.

Off the top of my head: X-Men Days of Future Past, Antman, Both Guardians movies, Last Jedi, and Terminator 2.

There are def some bad movies that looked great like the Transformers and Resident Evil movies shot in 3d but harder to recommend those movies.

Seconding Gravity, it was incredible in 3D. I wish I could see it in 3D again.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Spacebump posted:

Yeah, you just made me remember watching as the space shuttle silently got waxed in the background, which I can't imagine being effective in 2D

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I didn't even remember Gravity being in 3D. Even without that in IMAX it's quite a thing to experience.

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
There's shots in Godard's Goodbye to Language where the two "eyes" split apart from each other mid shot for a pan and then come back together, still one of my favorite experiences in a theater was having that happen the first time and feeling my brain break a little as I adjusted to it

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Xenomrph posted:

Prometheus was great in 3D, the sandstorm was wild.

Shame about the rest of the movie.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cemetry Gator posted:

That's not a very generous reading of the movie. Jake Sully is a man thrown away by his own world. They explicitly say that they have the technology to restore his body, but he's too poor. (It's also pretty significant that he was only even injured because he was fighting for oil for the US government). It's not saying that disabled people are bad. It's condemning a system that can help people but chooses not to.

Everything about Earth is shown to be absolutely poo poo because the people (and by extension everything they touch) on it do nothing but consume consume consume. The only reason Jake is even given the opportunity is because his twin brother was killed. Jake completely abandons his Earth customs because there's nothing for him there. He doesn't teach the Naavi how to be better or any of that. He merely tells them about their strategies.

I mean, you're right about him hating the US, and he has good season to.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Gravity in imax 3D was an extremely good time. I actually just watched it (non 3D) last week for the first time since I saw it in theaters and it is still an absolute thrill ride from beginning to end.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, you just made me remember watching as the space shuttle silently got waxed in the background, which I can't imagine being effective in 2D

The sense of dread that movie built as all the space junk was coming back was incredible. If I ever was going to show off a 3d blu ray to a friend that had never seen one, it was that movie.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I’m bummed but at the same time glad I don’t have a 3D TV because I’d probably go broke buying 3D Blu-rays. A whore for 3D but my TV replacement timeframe just missed it. Too expensive when I got one and gone by the time I upgraded.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I ripped my 3D blurays for Kodi in the chance that I get some kind of VR headset to watch them. Otherwise I've never owned any kind of 3D setup to have ever used those discs.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
PSVR is decent for 3D but you can't really watch it with someone else. I should hook mine back up sometime

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

Yeah, I definitely don't mind it getting more exposure because it's a great film. I'm just surprised to see it outperform the collected works of such titants of the silent era as Keaton, von Stroheim, Vidor, Eisenstein, and Dreyer.

That list was based on sales. On Letterboxd, here’s the most popular 1920s films and what state the elements are in:

Metropolis - see earlier list (rest left blank are repeats)
Nosferatu - 2K restoration , but all film elements are at best 2nd generation, at worst 3rd/4th
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
The Passion of Joan of Arc - 2K restoration from original nitrate print
Battleship Potemkin - 4K scan, 2K restoration from original prints
The Kid
The General - 4K restoration from nitrate fine-grain, would probably benefit from UHD
Man with a Movie Camera - 2K restoration from nitrate print
Sunrise - 2K restoration from safety duplicate negative and duplicate positive
The Gold Rush
Haxan
Safety Last!
The Phantom Carriage
The Circus - 4K restoration from safety dupe negative from Chaplin’s 1969 reissue
Faust - 2K restoration
A Page of Madness - Good elements exist, haven’t been used yet (Flicker Alley MOD Blu is from 16mm print)
The Phantom of the Opera - 2K restoration exists, possibly being restored in 4K by Universal
The Last Laugh - 2K restoration
Napoleon - 4K restoration in progress, BFI version 2K restoration from 4K scans

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
After about 7.3 seconds my brain forgets that it's watching something in 3D and just processes it as 2D. Definitely worth the extra upcharge.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Looks like Arrow is going to be doing some Shaw Brothers releases: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzPeJ43W7Ak

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Please be in region a. We’re starved for good martial arts films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Fly Ricky posted:

I’m bummed but at the same time glad I don’t have a 3D TV because I’d probably go broke buying 3D Blu-rays. A whore for 3D but my TV replacement timeframe just missed it. Too expensive when I got one and gone by the time I upgraded.

I have a 3D blu ray player and a TV with a high enough refresh rate, but my specific model doesn't have a 3D mode :(