Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

feedmyleg posted:

If you REALLY wanna supercharge it, well...

there used to be a youtube video where all six star wars movies were overlaid on each other at once and it was honestly kind of incredible, dunno if it still exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Anonymous Robot posted:

It’s a real trip to watch, that’s for sure. A rock solid conceit, technical proficiency, wonderful visuals, and a script that misses its own point so hard that it’s all jettisoned into a trash fire.

The concept of a child, who is acting out in imitation of her petulant wretch of a father, unearthing a fantastical embodiment of petty egotism and self-serving cruelty, which enables her to go on a power trip, then finding that he is being pursued by a fantastical embodiment of her sanctimonious, controlling mother, is a really strong core idea that’s taken to the next level by combining it with a loving tribute to super sentai and the effects work to do it justice.

But in the actual script, we never see the mother really doing anything all that toxic. The father is a despicable lout that’s treated as if he’s charming and relatable, the daughter that imitates him is characterized as if she is cool and mature for doing so, both of them are vindicated in the end, and fittingly, PG goes back to slaughtering Earth without quarrel.

There’s a strong script in there. The scene where PG realizes that his supposed minions hate him and are living better, healthier lives without him could serve as a point where he might undergo character growth and try to resolve his dispute with the archangel in a new way.

Or, alternatively, witnessing PG and archangel’s endless cycle of strife, itself a mirror of their parents’ domestic problems, could cause the children to cut ties with PG in a manner that resolves their character dilemma as children in a toxic household.

That the movie so obviously misses its own point and allows its characters to relish their own abusive behavior not only compromises the picture’s considerable strengths, but is born out in its lazy, puerile, cruel sense of humor. It’s honestly astounding how this went over the filmmakers’ heads.

Yeah I don’t agree with a letter of this post and I think it’s the funniest film of the year and I am now working with one of the leads in a short film and I can’t wait.

Sorry it’s not your thing but that humor is right up my alley. I love that mean weird poo poo. It’s very invader Zim and Rick and Morty.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t even agree with a space or a punctuation of that post either.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I've just learned that Walton goggins and Joe pantaliano are different guys

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Samuel Clemens posted:

I appreciate the fact that you put Citizen Kane on your iPod purely so you could make this joke.

That is why you put Citizen Kane on your iPod, right?

I wanted to watch it on a train journey in 2011.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

It was already spinning its wheels by the end of the second season, and I have to wait another season until he becomes Saul Goodman? Fohhhhhhh

Better Call Saul could have been a good scheme-of-the-week show but the decision to make it Breaking Bad but Less Funny and Less Bodies Dissolved In Acid made it bad imo.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

Put it this way. 400 hours equals somewhere around 250 films. I know people who watch 3-4 times that amount a year, and they're not getting paid for it. I have no doubt some fans dedicate the same amount of free time to TV sitcoms, even if good taste says they probably shouldn't.

You know people that watch between 2 and 3 films every single day of the year? And it isn't their job? What the hell do these people do for a living, and when do they have time to do anything besides work, sleep,, eat and watch films?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Hey do any of you know stuff about tube amps? I have an old Silvertone 1484 that makes a buzzing sound and when I cut the signal I can hear the power amp tubes making that sound. I never noticed if they always made that sound and it just wasn't audible in the signal of if my problem is just the tubes. They're a pair of 6L6s.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Just finishing The Office put me off television for years.

Shoulda watched the superior British version

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Niric posted:

You know people that watch between 2 and 3 films every single day of the year? And it isn't their job? What the hell do these people do for a living, and when do they have time to do anything besides work, sleep,, eat and watch films?

How many people do you know that are doing nothing else while the TV is on? The average person in the US spends something like four hours a day with the TV on.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Better Call Saul is actually a better show than Breaking Bad. There’s still stuff that drags, generally the Gus and Mike stuff that leans too heavily on BB, but overall I just love it. It’s got some killer performances. I just hope the final season doesn’t try too hard to connect all the dots to BB or go to pains to have everything neatly set up. It’s generally a better show when it can stand on its own instead of being Breaking Bad: The Prequel.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

How many people do you know that are doing nothing else while the TV is on? The average person in the US spends something like four hours a day with the TV on.

Me. Why put a thing on if you're not actually watching it. It's madness!

wizardofloneliness posted:

Better Call Saul is actually a better show than Breaking Bad. There’s still stuff that drags, generally the Gus and Mike stuff that leans too heavily on BB, but overall I just love it. It’s got some killer performances. I just hope the final season doesn’t try too hard to connect all the dots to BB or go to pains to have everything neatly set up. It’s generally a better show when it can stand on its own instead of being Breaking Bad: The Prequel.

The most recent season focused way too much on the non-Jimmy McGill story.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Samuel Clemens posted:

Put it this way. 400 hours equals somewhere around 250 films. I know people who watch 3-4 times that amount a year, and they're not getting paid for it. I have no doubt some fans dedicate the same amount of free time to TV sitcoms, even if good taste says they probably shouldn't.

Yeah, there's nothing the least bit deranged about watching 80 consecutive feature films about Ross getting a pet monkey.

TV is bad!

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Yeah, there's nothing the least bit deranged about watching 80 consecutive feature films about Ross getting a pet monkey.

TV is bad!

Did you watch the Watchmen series, Mr. Richard Attenborough with a blue penis on his forehead?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Skwirl posted:

I briefly forgot the TV show Girls existed, so I thought this tweet was just being jaw droppingly sexist at first.

I have heard of that one, mostly in that people loved it til they realised Lena Dunham's character wasn't really an act.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It was mostly just seeing the phrase "what kind of top comedy list has girls on it" threw me for a loving loop until I realized they meant the show titled Girls and not just women in comedy in general.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/1405702805948538881?s=19

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat, killing an entire meme with one tweet

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I have heard of that one, mostly in that people loved it til they realised Lena Dunham's character wasn't really an act.

I got a good laugh out of this post because I said exactly this thing on the previous page of the thread.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Niric posted:

and when do they have time to do anything besides work, sleep,, eat and watch films?

They usually don't. That's the price you pay for being a humongous film nerd. :v:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I wish I could remember the name of it but there's a documentary about some guys with unhealthy obsessions with watching movies. One of them would eat stuff that made him constipated so he would have more time to watch movies instead of going to the bathroom.

edit: It's called Cinemania.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CPL593H posted:

I got a good laugh out of this post because I said exactly this thing on the previous page of the thread.

S'what I get for replying before reading the rest.

Even before people actually internalised the 'bragged about molesting her sister' there was having a meltdown over a black man not immediately hitting on her.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It was already spinning its wheels by the end of the second season, and I have to wait another season until he becomes Saul Goodman? Fohhhhhhh

Better Call Saul could have been a good scheme-of-the-week show but the decision to make it Breaking Bad but Less Funny and Less Bodies Dissolved In Acid made it bad imo.

Jimmys story is over by the time he becomes Saul Goodman because Goodman is (very deliberately on Jimmys part) a soulless, one-dimensional archetype.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

caligulamprey posted:

It's cause they wanted to make Halle Berry look like this:

:staredog:
:stonk:

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

This would make a great double feature with Berberian Sound Studio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRrhXjH1M70

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

So Jon Stewart's got brain worms now and is going around saying that the coronavirus was created in a lab. I wonder how long it is before he goes full Dennis Miller and starts being a conservative mouth piece.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That's a bummer. But he also hasn't been relevant since the Bush years.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah it was cool when he'd tear Tucker Carlson apart, but that guy is more popular than ever while going full mask off white supremacist, so it's not like that even did anything useful.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

So Jon Stewart's got brain worms now and is going around saying that the coronavirus was created in a lab. I wonder how long it is before he goes full Dennis Miller and starts being a conservative mouth piece.
Rich old white guy turned out to actually be trash? Dang.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

CPL593H posted:

Lol trump broke a lot a lib brains

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve read multiple articles about this and still can’t tell if he was joking or not. I’ll watch the vid when I am able but it sounds like Colbert felt pretty fuckin awkward about it

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

I’ve read multiple articles about this and still can’t tell if he was joking or not. I’ll watch the vid when I am able but it sounds like Colbert felt pretty fuckin awkward about it

I saw some of the interview and Colbert looked pretty uncomfortable and was trying and failing to steer the whole situation towards some sort of humor. He seemed pretty sincere and I don't think he was doing a bit because he's not that good of an actor.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

CPL593H posted:

I saw some of the interview and Colbert looked pretty uncomfortable and was trying and failing to steer the whole situation towards some sort of humor. He seemed pretty sincere and I don't think he was doing a bit because he's not that good of an actor.

Same thing happened with his Rita Moreno interview. He did whatever he could to give her an out (re: colorism and lack of afro-latinxs in In The Heights) but she just ran past that and...well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrM5M1ZK1JU&t=77s

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

porfiria posted:

Was Cloud Atlas as turbo racist as it sounds on paper or no?

it has Halle Berry as a Korean man at one point so you be the judge

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s a pretty great list. But I do agree that there should have been at least one McBride show on there. Disappointing lack of You’re the Worst, too.

Better Things is amazing and everyone should watch it

quote:

Louis CK
pass

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He got fired after everything and there have been 3 seasons without him and they’re even better

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

was Howard from Treasure of Sierra Madre the basis for all gold miner stereotypes?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I would have bought into the whole concept of the racial fluidity thing in Cloud Atlas if they stuck a single person in blackface prosthetics, but apparently that's the bad kind, but slap some slant eyes on everyone else and everything's cool and groovy.

But then again what can one expect, most people didn't understand Asian racism was a thing until this year. :gonk:

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 18, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Not that yellow face isn't a thing, but black face is way, way more loaded as a subject in America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Skwirl posted:

Not that yellow face isn't a thing, but black face is way, way more loaded as a subject in America.
And I'm of the opinion that if that's the story you want to tell, you have to go all in on it or don't do it. Don't do hosed up race poo poo but not this one particularly especially hosed up race poo poo. Commit to the bit, cowards.

Also it's not Speed Racer. :colbert: