Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

It's a shame the game didn't really receive any improvements since the first beta test. I missed the second one due to vacation, but playing the full game there's very little improvement. Combat just completely breaks down when multiple things happen to your character in a short window. Whether it's an archer hitting you, or multiple people swinging at each other in close proximity, it's like it's a ton of different clients all reporting this is what happened and the game doesn't know which to go with. The game holds up well in smaller combat like a 1 on 1 or even up to 3-4 people, but after that it it becomes an absolute mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

mdct posted:

The Greatsword is bad at 1v1s compared to those other two weapons, yeah.

Where the greatsword shines is 1vX, where it's one of the best weapons in the game. Group fights mean countering someone from a mile away leading you to being invincible for a year as you carve through 3 other people trying to attack you at once; you cover such a huge area that the chances of you not hitting are entirely based on them not being there at all, or them blocking.

Even in that exact situation I still find the other swords tend to perform better. In 1vX situations the enemy will be all up in your rear end anyway, so range is rarely a factor in whether your ripostes hit them. But the longer windup means you miss hits you might've landed, and the longer recovery can lead to eating hits you could've avoided.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

mdct posted:

The Greatsword is bad at 1v1s compared to those other two weapons, yeah.

Where the greatsword shines is 1vX, where it's one of the best weapons in the game. Group fights mean countering someone from a mile away leading you to being invincible for a year as you carve through 3 other people trying to attack you at once; you cover such a huge area that the chances of you not hitting are entirely based on them not being there at all, or them blocking.

Throwing the greatsword right into an opponents mouth is very satisfying. Other than that....yeah I agree.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

bees everywhere posted:

Do bots impact the score in TDM? It would be a bit of a bummer if they did but it would apply to both teams so no big deal either way. I love seeing a horde of bots coming my way, especially if I have a longbow.
Bots do indeed count for TDM and it sucks because the team balancing is very bad. One team can have more bots than the other and they just end up getting farmed for points. I really wish they'd turn bots off after the server was half full.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So the Duke/Heir can heal just like everyone else? Do banners and medkits and toots all work on him or do only some things work? Can they eat food too. I'm not good enough to have ever been in first place lol

The duke heals like normal but has such a big health bar the healing effects feel very small. I thought selection was random though, is it really whoever's topping the board?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Clanpot Shake posted:

Bots do indeed count for TDM and it sucks because the team balancing is very bad. One team can have more bots than the other and they just end up getting farmed for points. I really wish they'd turn bots off after the server was half full.

The duke heals like normal but has such a big health bar the healing effects feel very small. I thought selection was random though, is it really whoever's topping the board?

Whoever is currently topping the board when the stage begins gets a prompt asking whether they want to be duke. If they refuse, I expect it'll go down to the next in line.

I also just realised the silliest thing: There's nothing to keep people from switching teams even when teams even or the other team is bigger. So when your side is doing poorly, you can switch to your opponents, and then some poor sod from the other side will be auto-switched to the losing team. :allears:

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

I discovered a bug to guarantee a win on a certain map in Chivalry II Is there a way to report it in game or do I need to send an email?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Bots do weird things like not push up far enough to actually defend an objective or stopping in door ways. Seems they’re more useless on defense than offense.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Aerith Gainthborough posted:

I discovered a bug to guarantee a win on a certain map in Chivalry II Is there a way to report it in game or do I need to send an email?

I think you can do that through their website but you probably have to register there

https://support.chivalry2.com/

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I think you can do that through their website but you probably have to register there

https://support.chivalry2.com/

Worked perfectly, thank you!

Hopefully they can do a hot fix on it before anyone else discovers it.

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Always burn the duke out :kingsley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP8ZmwHNxC0

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Bots are okay except for TDM. I laugh whenever one just goes loving ham and starts chopping heads instead of doing their weird little shuffle that is the normal typical bot behavior.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Can someone help me with the whole jab concept? The tutorial tells you that it's a good way to recover from being hit as it'll disrupt the attacker's swing/combo, but I feel like the jab either comes out slower than the actual attack, it has wonky hit detection or it hits and seemingly does nothing. I thought I got the thing down but then I end up landing it and it provides me with no openings whatsoever. Or I try it and the jab is as slow as my attacks.

Also unlocked the Glaive and I've never been do disappointed in a weapon. It's so slow, has the aforementioned slow-rear end jabs and does dick for damage. On the other hand, the two-handed spear is pretty amazing once you get used to its moveset.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
The jab will interrupt an attack if someone is comboing and doing that and immediately attacking will give you the initiative advantage if you start your swing right after it lands. It can be blocked, but jabbing doesn't seem to have much of a recovery at all so some people will see your jab plink off of them, will immediately swing in response, and still be down on initiative to allow you to get a hit in.

Best case scenario you'll interrupt and gain initiative, second best they block and swing thinking they have initiative and then you swing on them right out of the jab and get a hit, third best is neutral in which they block but don't get lured into a swing.

Ideally you use it to break a combo mid-swing. The really bad thing with it is that since it doesn't have a wide arc or range you may whiff, thus not interrupting the combo, and just get smacked in the face for it.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

There was zero progress made on this game from the beta in April until now. All of the fuckery with objectives being taken and the forward spawning are still in and haven't had any adjustments. Players still climb ladders and lose their weapons(this one has a post as early as a month before the first open beta in April).

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
I think the general strats for Duke/Heir are to be vigilant and move to wherever you have a cover/screen of friendlies as Duke, whereas you just huddle in a corner as Heir. First time as Duke was relatively straightforward, but I had people screaming at me and calling me all sorts of poo poo for not immediately rushing to a corner as Heir. Didn't help that a guy was constantly TK-ing me...

Anyone have a good alternative bind for jab? R is patently stupid for it, but my muscle memory is too strong to overcome by switching it to E.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jun 18, 2021

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

School Nickname posted:

Anyone have a good alternative bind for jab? R is patently stupid for it, but my muscle memory is too strong to overcome by switching it to E.

I put jab and throw on mouse forward/back

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

School Nickname posted:

I think the general strats for Duke/Heir are to be vigilant and move to wherever you have a cover/screen of friendlies as Duke, whereas you just huddle in a corner as Heir. First time as Duke was relatively straightforward, but I had people screaming at me and calling me all sorts of poo poo for not immediately rushing to a corner as Heir. Didn't help that a guy was constantly TK-ing me...

I personally haven't seen any gameplay disadvantage to always having chat hidden in this game, and I never enable voicechat with randos in any game. People can scream at me all they want, I won't hear or see it. :shrug:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

School Nickname posted:

Step 1 for me was "Unbind flourish from mouse wheel click because I'm a loving idiot who keeps accidentally causing it"
Step 2 later suffering a similar problem as you was "Hey let's try binding jab to mouse wheel click instead?"
EDIT: which to be fair. Then caused me to keep hitting R perfectly and forgetting I had it bound to mousewheel click :downs:

My current record is jabbing someone six times in a row, so it must have been destiny.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 18, 2021

Speked
Dec 13, 2011

LTA Represent !!
Every day Im shoveling....

Tis is the greatest of all weapons.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Jimbot posted:

Also unlocked the Glaive and I've never been do disappointed in a weapon. It's so slow, has the aforementioned slow-rear end jabs and does dick for damage. On the other hand, the two-handed spear is pretty amazing once you get used to its moveset.

I felt the same way like 4 days ago, and now Glaive is one of my favorite weapons. It can cleave through a ton of people, you can accel it like crazy, the overhead comes out nice and vertical so you can avoid hitting teammates in a scrum (if you care about that sort of thing), the Q attack has a nice leap forward and can cover a decent amount of ground, and the charge attack does a good bit of damage with the footman.

Yeah, the poke isn't super fast like the swords (gently caress you Messer), but it's a good mix up and can slip through guards you wouldn't expect it to. While normal attacks do pretty low damage, the heavies make up for it, and you can really style on people.

I wish I was better at explaining why it actually isn't bad and is instead good, but it really is more of a "feel" thing, and it feels really good to me now that I've used it a bit.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'll give it another go. I've only really used it in free-for-all and I did not enjoy my time with it there but maybe in a team setting it'll be a lot more fun. Just didn't expect a polearm with a massive freaking blade at the end to give a crummy first impression.

Another gripe in my sea of loving this game is that they need to change how health packs work. Doing damage is funny at first but when you start killing teammates with it then it becomes less fun and more bad. The only reliable way to heal people is to throw the packs at them and it shouldn't damage them.

Dineren
Dec 14, 2008
Lipstick Apathy

Jimbot posted:

Another gripe in my sea of loving this game is that they need to change how health packs work. Doing damage is funny at first but when you start killing teammates with it then it becomes less fun and more bad. The only reliable way to heal people is to throw the packs at them and it shouldn't damage them.

I saw it mentioned elsewhere that this is a bug that has been fixed in a coming patch.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

I have a new love in this game, and it’s jumping off a rock while downward smashing the sledgehammer on someone.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Jimbot posted:

I'll give it another go. I've only really used it in free-for-all and I did not enjoy my time with it there but maybe in a team setting it'll be a lot more fun. Just didn't expect a polearm with a massive freaking blade at the end to give a crummy first impression.

Yeah, FFA probably isn't where it shines the brightest. It's fine in that setting, but you'll have to do more work for less payoff than if you were using something else. I don't play much FFA, so I'll refrain from opining further.

One of the things I love the most about this game, far more than a reasonable person should, is the "Commend" feature. The ability to give a small acknowledgement to someone who bested me, or to receive acknowledgement from someone I bested, just completely changes my perspective on a fight and puts me in a much more pleasant headspace. I find I can play this game for much longer without getting frustrated and hating other players than I usually experience in other PvP games, and that's very nice. On the flip-side of those pleasant emotions, it also allows me to identify people I really don't like and to then take more joy from killing them in the future. "Oh, Mr. Bald-Headed Gold Armor Messer User didn't commend me after that amazing dodge/feint/murder after a long duel? Now we are enemies." The only blight on the commendation system is not being able to commend the player that did 95% of the damage when an archer swoops in and gets the kill with an arrow to the back."

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I dunno if it’s my weird keybinds but I pretty much always “commend” everyone who kills me by accident; as in, I die and it instantly says “you commended X” even if I didn’t want to.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

megane posted:

I dunno if it’s my weird keybinds but I pretty much always “commend” everyone who kills me by accident; as in, I die and it instantly says “you commended X” even if I didn’t want to.

I think the default commend key is 'F'.

I just got the joke. Press F to pay respect.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im on vacation this week but we should do some chiv nights at some point

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Wow I am bad with the poleman's spear compared to the halberd. Tips? Besides stab more I guess. I keep losing 1v2s badly that I'd possibly have won before.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ravenfood posted:

Wow I am bad with the poleman's spear compared to the halberd. Tips? Besides stab more I guess. I keep losing 1v2s badly that I'd possibly have won before.

Stab more, also dodge more. I get a lot of kills by dodging out of the way and giving a quick jab to the side of the head. I really dance around a lot when I'm using the spear, backdashes are good to try and keep people at range. If someone's coming into your bubble start poking to punish them and force them to back off. If they get close it's gonna be hard but try dashing to get away and poke to get distance again.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Also, never get very far from your allies. That's true for most weapons, of course, but the spear gets hosed extra hard by being outnumbered or having enemies get up in your face -- you can't do the bullshit mile-wide invincible riposte slash to drive them back like an axe or sword can. When people push you, you want to be able to retreat a few steps and be surrounded by angry buddies who will protect you* while you recover your stamina and reposition. Also, you're way more dangerous if you can poke them from outside their range, since then you don't need to block and thus aren't giving them ripostes; buddies will hinder them* from closing the distance and removing that advantage.

* Not that they're trying to protect or help you, of course.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

lmao the death timer counting down to 1 and then starting all over.

Using horn while deserting results in a horn that gets used but no effect.

Third person and first person shouldn't be in the same matches. Yes you can do well as first person, but it's a severe disadvantage compared to third person.

Hell y can't even get a working ping monitor.

I stand by the fact this game needed 3 more months of work if not 6. I don't even know if they can fix their netcode but it's downright terrible.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 18, 2021

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The Ping seems off. It always says I have 4 or 12 Ping but then there’s horrible rubberbanding.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

VulgarandStupid posted:

The Ping seems off. It always says I have 4 or 12 Ping but then there’s horrible rubberbanding.

Do you use the server browser or do you matchmake? (Don't use the server browser)

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 18, 2021

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
don't use server browser

also first person is superior and i don't think you are at that big of a disadvantage, if any

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

I just got three kills at once with the shovel and then threw it at a bunch of suspended rocks and killed three more...one of those three was me.

No regrets.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Do you use the server browser or do you matchmake? (Don't use the server browser)

Match make. It’s just bizarre that sometimes 4 Ping is amazing and sometimes it’s absolute dog poo poo.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

explosivo posted:

Stab more, also dodge more. I get a lot of kills by dodging out of the way and giving a quick jab to the side of the head. I really dance around a lot when I'm using the spear, backdashes are good to try and keep people at range. If someone's coming into your bubble start poking to punish them and force them to back off. If they get close it's gonna be hard but try dashing to get away and poke to get distance again.

megane posted:

Also, never get very far from your allies. That's true for most weapons, of course, but the spear gets hosed extra hard by being outnumbered or having enemies get up in your face -- you can't do the bullshit mile-wide invincible riposte slash to drive them back like an axe or sword can. When people push you, you want to be able to retreat a few steps and be surrounded by angry buddies who will protect you* while you recover your stamina and reposition. Also, you're way more dangerous if you can poke them from outside their range, since then you don't need to block and thus aren't giving them ripostes; buddies will hinder them* from closing the distance and removing that advantage.

* Not that they're trying to protect or help you, of course.
Thanks, that was helpful! I'll keep it all in mind.

On the other hand I just played some rounds as Raider and unlocked the Messer. Dear god, this thing is getting nerfed, right? Because I went from being mid-tier to getting in the top three pretty consistently once I started using it, and feel like I see most people using them too. I just need to get better at throwing my Dane Axe (is another weapon better for throwing btw?) and I think I'll be a danger at all ranges.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

Thanks, that was helpful! I'll keep it all in mind.

On the other hand I just played some rounds as Raider and unlocked the Messer. Dear god, this thing is getting nerfed, right? Because I went from being mid-tier to getting in the top three pretty consistently once I started using it, and feel like I see most people using them too. I just need to get better at throwing my Dane Axe (is another weapon better for throwing btw?) and I think I'll be a danger at all ranges.

The messer is like having a button you press to give you anywhere from 1 to 3 kills each time you hit it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Looking forward to those Fairground No Archers 24/7 servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I gotta say it really sucks coming back to a game with an arbitrary archer limit after playing Mordhau for so long.