Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Man Arise is looking so cool, I played berseria on release and never did end up getting back to playing it in New Game + so I can't wait to have a tales game to play again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

OneDeadman posted:

Arise looking pretty good. Also is Sakuraba the primary composer on Arise because the music sounds more like stuff from Crestoria than usual Sakuraba flair.

good if so because crestoria has a banging ost

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

some rando gameplay things ive picked up

1) kisara blocks rather than dodgerolls, which is neat variety
2) its like xillia, every character has their own gimmick in combat. after using an arte alphen can hold down the arte button to extend it at the cost of hp, rinwell can charge her spells and then store them for later use which lets her do big combos, kisara gets buffs when she blocks attacks, dohalim's staff gets bigger when he does a perfect dodge, like leia in xillia
3) you can only equip 6 artes, 3 for ground and 3 for the air

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ_SaakVwl8

heres an extremely indepth breakdown of the combat from a tales fan

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Caphi posted:

Arise did a private press demo and the reports are coming out.

http://www.abyssalchronicles.com/news/tales-of-arise-hands-on-report-pc-demo-with-tales-ambassadors-shiina-and-lex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ-NE96RC3w

Hope for this demo to be publically available in the near future.

I hope we can change the evade binding but otherwise really liking how this looks! The Team Strike moves are suspiciously close to the instant kill thing from Vesperia (forget the name)

Endorph posted:

some rando gameplay things ive picked up

1) kisara blocks rather than dodgerolls, which is neat variety
2) its like xillia, every character has their own gimmick in combat. after using an arte alphen can hold down the arte button to extend it at the cost of hp, rinwell can charge her spells and then store them for later use which lets her do big combos, kisara gets buffs when she blocks attacks, dohalim's staff gets bigger when he does a perfect dodge, like leia in xillia
3) you can only equip 6 artes, 3 for ground and 3 for the air

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ_SaakVwl8

heres an extremely indepth breakdown of the combat from a tales fan

I'm getting hyped! Hopefully this is a Berseria hype and not a Zesteria hype

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqyacvd6_Oo

Kisara and Dohalim MAs.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Big fan of the giant rear end shield.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm watching the review gameplay and I like how the group banters and discusses tactics on the fly during battle. It adds character and reminds the player what to do with specific enemies-Alphen will call to to Rinwell when an enemy is casting for her to stop her, Law mentions that he can break enemy shells, Shionne says she'll take the lead with flying enemies that her bullets can knock down, Dohalim gets a little poetic when he talks about binding agile enemies and Shionne calls him out, going 'less talking, more fighting!', etc. etc.

There's also some interesting character notes-Rinwell is apparently jealous of Shionne's healing artes, saying her astral artes are only good for destruction.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Arise is looking really good. Gameplay looks totally up my alley and if the guy in that preview is right about the game being filled with fun character interactions even ignoring skits then I think i'm going to be super into this game.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Also, I think people might be right on Dohalim being an Earth and Dark caster, given that his unique action involves binding with vines and his dual strike attack with Kisara has him summon a giant crystal, not to mention his MA.

In fact I paused during his Kisara dual, and his eyes do glow blue, just like Shionne's.

I wonder if that means we might get some new spells based on plants and crystals with him, instead of the usual rocks, rocks, and more rocks that earth spells usually are.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I would absolutely love to see some plant magic, that has been something this series has been super lacking. The only one I can think of offhand was Rita's Ivy Rush.

Hellioning posted:

Big fan of the giant rear end shield.

According to her equipment screen she only has a slot for the shield. I guess the mace is just there for emotional support.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay I was checking out the RPGFan preview, and this comment appears about Rinwell:

"Each character also has a unique combat mechanic. My favourite of these belongs to the party mage Rinwell. For Rinwell, spells that take time to cast can be stored when fully charged with a press of the right shoulder button. This stored spell is instantly cast after your next spell but, to make this even more interesting, if you store and cast the same spell again, the first cast becomes an upgraded spell. Charge up Freeze Lance and store it? Casting Freeze Lance again instead casts Tidal Wave and Freeze Lance in quick succession. "

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Blah blah blah Tidal Wave!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

All this info is well and good, but I need the real important info: What is the mascot character? :v:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

All this info is well and good, but I need the real important info: What is the mascot character? :v:

do you not remember Hootle

they're even selling a plushie of him

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Junpei posted:

Okay I was checking out the RPGFan preview, and this comment appears about Rinwell:

"Each character also has a unique combat mechanic. My favourite of these belongs to the party mage Rinwell. For Rinwell, spells that take time to cast can be stored when fully charged with a press of the right shoulder button. This stored spell is instantly cast after your next spell but, to make this even more interesting, if you store and cast the same spell again, the first cast becomes an upgraded spell. Charge up Freeze Lance and store it? Casting Freeze Lance again instead casts Tidal Wave and Freeze Lance in quick succession. "
I remember this EX skill from symphonia!

(it was probably also a skill in abyss and vesperia but i never dug fully into those skill systems for obvious reasons)

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The even wilder thing about Rinwell, if I understand 4Gamer's description correctly, is that if you cast a spell of a different element to your stocked spell, it picks a "special" spell based on the combination of the two. Presumably this applies not only to combining her own types, but any she's stolen from an enemy.

4Gamer says this as part of a section in which they assure us that while there are only six bindings (eventually to become twelve), "through a variety of conditions, you have access to an array of derived artes." The other examples they give are Alphen's Flaming Edge artes (where most of his strikes can be converted into a flaming version that damages him in place of AG) and an unspecified "hold the button" mechanic of Shionne's. I suspect Kisara's artes work differently when she uses them while guarding, as part of that mechanic.

I'm extremely hype for this game.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty
The way some of these are described makes me think a lot of it is stuff we've seen before updated and remixed a bit. Dohalim's staff extension crit thing is Leia's from Xillia, Rinwell's spell-charge could be a couple different things: it might be the up-spelling you can do in Graces/Zest/Bers, or it might be something like Abyss' FoF just at will instead of having to find them on the ground. Alphen's sword skills sound kinda like they'll end up being like Bersie's "hold button to chain specific artes together" which might give him access to most/all of his skills if you set the right ones and don't mind him using up all his own hp.

I was a bit worried about the "6 artes" thing, but the game seems like it's pretty packed, so that's probably not as limiting as it sounded. Plus almost everything they've shown so far can all be expanded on with the skill system they haven't shown yet. Tales characters usually get a lot of perks and quirks as they gain whatever the system's gimmicks are, so there's a lot of room for this cast to be incredibly fun and diverse playstyle-wise. Kisara might even get a Chloe-style "choose your own revenge" move and we haven't seen that in ages.

I'm excited about it.

Not to mention that there's easily space for two more characters in the boost assist UI that may or may not end up being used for things. :v:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Ershalim posted:

Not to mention that there's easily space for two more characters in the boost assist UI that may or may not end up being used for things. :v:

Regarding that, I remember an earlier article that Zephyr would join as a "support character" which it's easy to see describing the characters who aren't in battle but whose Boost Attacks you can call in. It might just be common language but it would be really cool if you could bring NPCs with you who weren't full fighters but worked as Boost assists.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Game looks good can't wait to call in strikers all the time for massive combos.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://twitter.com/TalesofU/status/1405570994589286401

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

It's like they looked up 'stereotypical edgelord traits' and then just put them all in.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Good

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Oh hey Rinwell has a water-based variant on Edna and Eleanor's Rock Satelite (the one that summons three floating rocks around them)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
he looks like a rival character who'd appear halfway through a shoujo manga about a cold and tormented swordsman, challenging him to a battle in revenge for past transgressions he no longer remembers. so he's perfect

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hes gonna take off his hood and be hot, and hell get 7th place on the next popualrity poll.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im calling that shot btw, i will quote that post when the next tales popularity poll comes out.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I need a 'Steal his look' meme on this man, stat.

Who's the blacksmith that made that sword, bro?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Endorph posted:

also that alcohol stuff definitely sounds like the kinda gag theyd do with an older male character, not that this having one is exactly a surprise.

calling back to this, do you think Dohalim might be that? Or like, it could be Zephyr?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dohalim doesn't look that old or like he'd have that kind of dialogue, I'd guess Zephyr, yeah.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Endorph posted:

hes gonna take off his hood and be hot, and hell get 7th place on the next popualrity poll.

What if he never takes off the hood

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

What if he never takes off the hood

8th

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSXMsxmsADM

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

A bit weird to have English voice acting for the cutscenes and then Japanese voice acting for the combat, but eh.

Also kind of hoping we can just keep Alphen in that helmet for the entire game as a costume.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm assuming the English dub isn't done yet.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
People have checked out:

-Lightning is a separate element, it's not grouped with light or wind or is a fire + wind combo, it's it's own thing

-Dohalim is our Earth and Dark caster-he's got Negative Gate, Bloody Howling, Stalagmite and Air Pressure (as well as one healing move)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Hellioning posted:

A bit weird to have English voice acting for the cutscenes and then Japanese voice acting for the combat, but eh.

Having just played Yakuza 7 again and noticing a huge swath of the non-main player voices are just japanese still in dub mode.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

In Like a Dragon at least it's a result of the way certain voice lines are placed in the games files as SFX making them prohibitively time-consuming to find. Judgment did the same thing. But in this case, Berseria didn't have that problem so I can't imagine why Arise would.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
They mentioned at some point that the OP will be done by an "All-male four-member group".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

He has a super smug grin.