Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

quote:

America Should Become a Nation of Renters
The very features that made houses an affordable and stable investment are coming to an end.

More rental units, please.

Rising real-estate prices are stoking fears that homeownership, long considered a core component of the American dream, is slipping out of reach for low- and moderate-income Americans. That may be so — but a nation of renters is not something to fear. In fact, it’s the opposite.

This process is painful, but it’s not all bad. Slowly but surely, most Americans’ single biggest asset — their home — is becoming more liquid. Call it the liquefaction of the U.S. housing market.

Houses have typically traded with very little liquidity premium. That meant a relatively low purchase price compared to what it would cost to rent — the equivalent of the dividend from housing investment — and stable prices over time.

It may have seemed at the time like a failed experiment. But financialization had changed the housing market forever. Houses are now more prone to be priced high relative to rents, and to see their prices fluctuate with the market. The very features that made home buying an affordable and stable investment are coming to an end.

But the illiquidity that made houses a safe investment also made America less dynamic and mobile. In coastal markets with strong demand for housing, market forces would normally have led to the replacement of single-family homes with duplexes and apartments. But existing homeowners are reluctant to agree to development with unknowable effects on the value of their most precious investments. The result is less development — and sky-high rents for any residents not lucky enough to own their own home.

As institutional investors increasingly enter the housing market, however, the incentives begin to shift. Large investors can expand or redevelop their properties themselves, because they benefit from a greater number of overall tenants, even if rents themselves dip.

Meanwhile, the increased availability of rental properties could benefit homeowners in declining areas of the country. They frequently cannot move to more prosperous areas because they can’t sell their homes for nearly enough to buy a new place somewhere else. In an economy with more rentals, however, they could afford to try a new place for a few years without the commitment of a mortgage or down payment.

A nation of renters could lead to a world where location decisions are driven far more by personal preferences and life-cycle demands. Younger workers might prefer the excitement of the city. A couple just starting a family could reunite with their parents or siblings in a small town.

The U.S. is not quite there yet, and not just because too many people are chasing too few apartments. To see the U.S. as a nation of renters requires a revision of the American dream of homeownership. [b]This country was always more about new frontiers than comfortable settlements, anyway.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/a..._source=twitter

Congrats to the death of the American Dream and to the exciting future of being beholden to the whims of whatever hedge fund owns your home. No one ever wanted to be comfortable in a home anyways, this is a country of the kind of rugged independence of having your landlord jack up your rent knowing that the huge increase is barely more than the exorbitant emotional and financial cost of moving instead of paying the increased rent. When you really thing about it, you always really wanted better liquid financial investments, just like right to work gave you the freedom to find a new job whenever you wanted. Trust me, you'll love it!

Congrats America, your dream is dead to provide an even brighter future!

:911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Like all things American, it was a stupid dream.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Man if only we all inherited a condo

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

you know it has been a while since we saw your condo, i remember when you couldn't stop posting about it. how is the old joint nowadays?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Derpies posted:

Man if only we all inherited a condo

You know you can buy a condo with the money you inherited right?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Actually The American Dream died in 2015.

RIP Dusty. You showed that to be a professional wrestler, you didn't need to be attractive, athletic, or even have perfect diction.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

you know it has been a while since we saw your condo, i remember when you couldn't stop posting about it. how is the old joint nowadays?

I got married and moved, we owned too many houses.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat
I mostly dream about showing up at school with no pants on. I live right by a high school so that dream is still totally achievable.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Three Olives posted:

I got married and moved, we owned too many houses.

three olives everybody :ocelot:

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Duck and Cover posted:

I stand corrected.

Man why dont my boomer parents die so I can buy a few investment condos too!

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I look forward to the housing market collapsing again tbh

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Pimpcasso posted:

Same

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Derpies posted:

I stand corrected.

Man why dont my boomer parents die so I can buy a few investment condos too!

Uh don't you have grandparents? Sheesh wanting your parents to die is terrible!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Pimpcasso posted:

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Duck and Cover posted:

Uh don't you have grandparents? Sheesh wanting your parents to die is terrible!

Lol look at this boomer lover over here

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I've long suspected 3 Olives has exaggerated his fygm beliefs for attention but still, I think it's both telling as to America's rapid deterioration and heartwarming as to people's potential to grow, that he is posting from this more lefterly perspective.

Elburroman
Dec 27, 2012
I always think 3 olives and 50 foot ant are the same forums exile and get kinda startled to see either post, like seeing a driverless car in action or a car driven by a dog in action

i liked this post though what do i know

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Pimpcasso posted:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Duck and Cover posted:

lol

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
This is America. You don’t even have to buy to get your spot in your nearest tent city. You just borrow it until the police come gather it up and throw it in dump truck with al your other stuff

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
There should be a cap on rental ownership to allow families to have reasonable homes. Companies should not be allowed to hoover up homes. People should get paid enough to be able to buy a home. This is pretty simple poo poo.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
In my American dreams for some reason I'm always eating a cheese burger and then I get shot

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
oh hell naw three olvies still posting??? that's kinda whakc man, but it be whhat it be. no hate, just speakin from the mind

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

vandalism posted:

There should be a cap on rental ownership to allow families to have reasonable homes. Companies should not be allowed to hoover up homes. People should get paid enough to be able to buy a home. This is pretty simple poo poo.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

vandalism posted:

I don't own a house but I realize people not having houses is an important part of the satisfaction in owning a house.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
My cousin is a landlord. She also got punched in the face for calling someone the n-word at a movie theater. That's pretty much everything you need to know about her to properly judge her character.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
My wife and I *just* bought our first house; did we win or are we the first to lose?

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
this has been a Three Olives thread

(gif of dog puking and another dog eating it goes here)

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
The dystopia is sooo close to completion. All that's missing is for a new designer drug called Blitz to ravage to underclass and for combat drones to be granted 2nd Amendment rights.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

This is some hard hitting journalism, op.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

The dystopia is sooo close to completion. All that's missing is for a new designer drug called Blitz to ravage to underclass and for combat drones to be granted 2nd Amendment rights.

We've been living in a dystopia for a long time. Opiates are ravaging the underclass and the cops already use robots.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Ville Valo posted:

My wife and I *just* bought our first house; did we win or are we the first to lose?

Rent it out and then rent another property to live in.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
3 Olives remember that time when I wrecked your poo poo so bad on STP you zelle'd my senator 750k to legislate mandatory 24 hour employment under penalty of death?
Good times, girlfriend

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Masturbasturd posted:

3 Olives remember that time when I wrecked your poo poo so bad on STP you zelle'd my senator 750k to legislate mandatory 24 hour employment under penalty of death?
Good times, girlfriend

:thunk:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

https://forums.somethingawful.com/stats.php?statid=4&all=#jump

Lol you lose Mr. Olives get wrecked!

edit: Keep posting though.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 18, 2021

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

Three Olives posted:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/a..._source=twitter

Congrats to the death of the American Dream and to the exciting future of being beholden to the whims of whatever hedge fund owns your home. No one ever wanted to be comfortable in a home anyways, this is a country of the kind of rugged independence of having your landlord jack up your rent knowing that the huge increase is barely more than the exorbitant emotional and financial cost of moving instead of paying the increased rent. When you really thing about it, you always really wanted better liquid financial investments, just like right to work gave you the freedom to find a new job whenever you wanted. Trust me, you'll love it!

Congrats America, your dream is dead to provide an even brighter future!

:911:

Can I squat in your condo dude?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

ill eat my own balls hows that for a loving american dream