Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I've always felt that everything bieng better across the board, from damage to heat to weight to range, was always stupid and definitely a form of power creep that the designers at the time maybe felt they needed to sell the clans as actual threats.

With how the clan societies work you'd think their tech would be far more focused towards how they fight, so better damage and weight maybe, but heat and range should not be their strong suits. Who cares about range when most of your fighting is close range dueling and heat is a secondary concern when your opposition is likely to be dead before overheating is really going to affect you.

Organ Fiend posted:

I saw the Orion picture. Its a decent config, but what I said still stands. Its going to be outclassed by clan mechs. I also had a brawler Orion that did fine in 5 skull IS drops, but faltered in the more advanced clan drops. Check out the MAD-C config in the post I linked. That was my Orion replacement, and it just wrecks things. Also check out the MAD-S. The MAD-S is extremely rare, but you only need one part from it (plus parts from any other MAD) to build it. Its the only jumping madcat and is, by far, the best 5-jumper in the game. The double-omega final GHR (it replaced my GHR).

Thanks for all the advice. Yeah, I plan to replace what I have with clan stuff when I get the chance, I've only just reached clan space and had time to do 1 mission so far.

edit: Does clan stuff come in +/++/+++ varieties?

Carcer fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

sean10mm posted:

The Trebuchet is kind of a stupid mech because it sacrifices available tonnage for speed, when LRMs have almost unlimited reach so its speed means nothing.

SRM+medium laser spam is very strong.

The Jagermech only seems strong because it sacrifices all its armor to carry more guns, it weighs 65 tons and is fragile for a 45 tonner Ultimately you will need to either reconfigure it completely or just junk it. The AC2 in particular is a trash gun because it weighs way too much just to do the damage of one medium laser, at the very least convert it from 2xAC2 2xAC5 to 3xAC5.

I just managed to headshot a catapult and get one assembled. Working on tracking down some LRM's 20++

My main bay currently has:
--Marauder still rocking the stub PCC++ as I havent manged to piece together another heavy mech yet
--Catapult
--Hunchback with all the medium lasers. Just....all of them
--Shadowhawk with lots of SRM's
--Jagermech just dropped his AC2's and AC5's for a AC20++ and something else. At work, can't remember the other weapon. I believe a AC5
And.....some other Mech. Maybe a Centurion. Can't recall

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

tell us how it goes. We don't get many first time stories in thread anymore. People are usually pretty helpful too

I'm REALLY enjoying the campaign. The music, the cutscenes are really well done
Just did a assassinate mission in the middle of a city and that was amazing.
Stomping through cars, mechs jumping in and out of line of sight, blowing up buildings people are standing on
Dammit, that was everything about the game working perfectly together. Loved it

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I just saw a complete Bull Shark MAZ for sale in my BEX campaign, in the black market on some random world up near clan space. With the one from the flashpoint I'm now the proud owner of two of them, but is that meant to happen? I thought the Bull Shark was meant to be a super-lostech one-off flashpoint reward?

Zephro fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 16, 2021

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
In vanilla they start appearing in shops either when you finish the HM campaign or when you get one during the campaign.

The same thing happens with the Raven/Cataphract 0x and the hatchetman; they dont appear until you do the flashpoints associated with them.

Its the only way to get the M3 version of the Bullshark to appear, which makes for an amazing long range fire support with LRMs/UAC2s/LBX2s.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 16, 2021

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Carcer posted:

Thanks for all the advice. Yeah, I plan to replace what I have with clan stuff when I get the chance, I've only just reached clan space and had time to do 1 mission so far.

edit: Does clan stuff come in +/++/+++ varieties?

Nah. Clan stuff has a single quality level.

Some of the IS ++/+++ stuff is actually on the level with clan stuff. You'll notice in the configs I linked to that I'm still using IS ML++ and SRM+++. The ML++ and cERML balanced with each other, with the cERML trading heat for range. Same story with the LL+++ and ERLL. The SRM+++ actually has better damage per ton (base tonnage, ammo, heat, etc) than clan SRMs, but for clan SRMs, a great percentage of that support tonnage is heat, so they work for burst/overheat configs. On the other hand, the cERPPC is strictly superior to all IS PPCs. Clan ballistics are also superior to IS varieties (there may be some ++ versions of IS UACs/LBX/GRs I haven't seen yet), although a case could be made for the AC20+++ and AC10++dmg.

For salvage, I'd suggest prioritizing the MAD, GLA and DAI, and in the absence of these, prioritize ERPPCs, ballistics, and LRMs to upgrade your IS mechs.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The Thor-B is also really good as a jumping 30-SRM/55-60 LRM carrier.

If you're playing 3057 era or extend your 3049 play beyond 3052, the Night Gyr is insanely good as well. All variants are jump-capable, and it's a 75-tonner like the Mad Cat but moves slower (Marauder/Orion speed) and has a shitton of tonnage to use for weapons.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Dyz posted:

In vanilla they start appearing in shops either when you finish the HM campaign or when you get one during the campaign.

The same thing happens with the Raven/Cataphract 0x and the hatchetman; they dont appear until you do the flashpoints associated with them.

Its the only way to get the M3 version of the Bullshark to appear, which makes for an amazing long range fire support with LRMs/UAC2s/LBX2s.
Ah, OK, that's interesting, thanks. Four Bull Shark lance is my new goal.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Organ Fiend posted:

Nah. Clan stuff has a single quality level.

Some of the IS ++/+++ stuff is actually on the level with clan stuff. You'll notice in the configs I linked to that I'm still using IS ML++ and SRM+++. The ML++ and cERML balanced with each other, with the cERML trading heat for range. Same story with the LL+++ and ERLL. The SRM+++ actually has better damage per ton (base tonnage, ammo, heat, etc) than clan SRMs, but for clan SRMs, a great percentage of that support tonnage is heat, so they work for burst/overheat configs. On the other hand, the cERPPC is strictly superior to all IS PPCs. Clan ballistics are also superior to IS varieties (there may be some ++ versions of IS UACs/LBX/GRs I haven't seen yet), although a case could be made for the AC20+++ and AC10++dmg.

For salvage, I'd suggest prioritizing the MAD, GLA and DAI, and in the absence of these, prioritize ERPPCs, ballistics, and LRMs to upgrade your IS mechs.

There are some ++ IS lostech things in faction stores, though pretty sparse. I think for LBX I only saw accuracy, but there are +dmg IS mpulses (shorter range than clan stuff) which may be relevant for some builds; also +DMG Artemis missile variants, IIRC.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Zephro posted:

Ah, OK, that's interesting, thanks. Four Bull Shark lance is my new goal.

My pre-DLC vanilla run, I ended up where I could deploy all-King Crab lances of various makeup:

2x dual AC20/lasers
2x dual AC10s/lasers/SRMs
2x LRMboat/lasers

AC10s had better range, but just didn't have the head/leg deletion that i wanted. Mainly kept around for when I needed deeper ammo reserves. LRMboats got outclassed by Stalkers immediately.

Kinda thinking of making a pure arty second lance - LRM/Arrow IV Stalker, mortarboat Hellbringer, Sniper arty Helepolis, and I think I have a second Hele that I could stuff a Thumper into. (Regular ammo only, though. :smith:) First lance would just clean up all the stab-damaged victims - Marauder (Gauss/MLs), Atlas (Gauss/MLs/2x rocket racks), Grasshopper (Gauss/PPC/lasers), and ????. (Fourth slot is where the Stalker usually lives.) (All this is RogueTech, BTW.)

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

TescoBag posted:

Here is a question:

Getting frustrated in BEX with missing high percentage shots all the time. I know it could be bias, but is the percentage shown to hit the actual percentage or is weird maths used in Battletech?

I am 100% sure the called shot percentages are flat out incorrect. I run Phoenix Hawks a lot (with 5 armaments mounted) and the amount of time I've hit zero on the CT from the rear (a 74% chance), I can't wrap my head around it. For each time I hit all 5 into the CT there are 5 or 10 occasions I don't hit any.

I assume something weird is going on with the % chance to hit and then the % chance to hit a specific part. Because even when I'm at 90% to hit, it doesn't seem to make any difference whatsoever.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Organ Fiend posted:

Could you post a similar screenshot of the directory containing the weapon .json files?

Organ Fiend posted:

Also, could you post the content of the weapon .json files?

code:
{
    "Category" : "Energy",
    "Type" : "PPC",
    "WeaponSubType" : "PPC",
    "MinRange" : 90,
    "MaxRange" : 540,
    "RangeSplit" : [
    ],
    "ammoCategoryID" : "NotSet",
    "StartingAmmoCapacity" : 0,
    "HeatGenerated" : 28,
    "Damage" : 50,
    "OverheatedDamageMultiplier" : 0,
    "EvasiveDamageMultiplier" : 0,
    "EvasivePipsIgnored" : 0,
    "DamageVariance" : 0,
    "HeatDamage" : 0,
    "AccuracyModifier" : 0,
    "CriticalChanceMultiplier" : 1,
    "AOECapable" : false,
    "IndirectFireCapable" : false,
    "RefireModifier" : 0,
    "ShotsWhenFired" : 1,
    "ProjectilesPerShot" : 1,
    "AttackRecoil" : 3,
    "Instability" : 20,
    "WeaponEffectID" : "WeaponEffect-Weapon_PPC",
    "Description" : {
        "Cost" : 180000,
        "Rarity" : 0,
        "Purchasable" : true,
        "Manufacturer" : "Magna",
        "Model" : "Particle Projector Cannon",
        "UIName" : "PPC",
        "Id" : "Weapon_PPC_PPC_0-STOCK",
        "Name" : "PPC",
        "Details" : "Particle Projector Cannons\u2014PPCs\u2014fire streams of energized lightning at their target that deal substantial damage and stability impact. However, this comes with intense heat generation and bulkiness. PPCs also generate a mild EM field that degrades the firing capability of their target.",
        "Icon" : "uixSvgIcon_weapon_Energy"
    },
    "BonusValueA" : "",
    "BonusValueB" : "",
    "ComponentType" : "Weapon",
    "ComponentSubType" : "Weapon",
    "PrefabIdentifier" : "PPC",
    "BattleValue" : 0,
    "InventorySize" : 3,
    "Tonnage" : 7,
    "AllowedLocations" : "All",
    "DisallowedLocations" : "All",
    "CriticalComponent" : false,
    "statusEffects" : [
        {
            "durationData" : {
                "duration" : 1,
                "ticksOnActivations" : true,
                "useActivationsOfTarget" : true,
                "ticksOnEndOfRound" : false,
                "ticksOnMovements" : false,
                "stackLimit" : 0,
                "clearedWhenAttacked" : false
            },
            "targetingData" : {
                "effectTriggerType" : "OnHit",
                "triggerLimit" : 0,
                "extendDurationOnTrigger" : 0,
                "specialRules" : "NotSet",
                "effectTargetType" : "NotSet",
                "range" : 0,
                "forcePathRebuild" : false,
                "forceVisRebuild" : false,
                "showInTargetPreview" : true,
                "showInStatusPanel" : true
            },
            "effectType" : "StatisticEffect",
            "Description" : {
                "Id" : "AbilityDefPPC",
                "Name" : "SENSORS IMPAIRED",
                "Details" : "[AMT] Difficulty to all of this unit's attacks until its next activation.",
                "Icon" : "uixSvgIcon_status_sensorsImpaired"
            },
            "nature" : "Debuff",
            "statisticData" : {
                "appliesEachTick" : false,
                "effectsPersistAfterDestruction" : false,
                "statName" : "AccuracyModifier",
                "operation" : "Float_Add",
                "modValue" : "1.0",
                "modType" : "System.Single",
                "additionalRules" : "NotSet",
                "targetCollection" : "NotSet",
                "targetWeaponCategory" : "NotSet",
                "targetWeaponType" : "NotSet",
                "targetAmmoCategory" : "NotSet",
                "targetWeaponSubType" : "NotSet"
            },
            "tagData" : null,
            "floatieData" : null,
            "actorBurningData" : null,
            "vfxData" : null,
            "instantModData" : null,
            "poorlyMaintainedEffectData" : null
        }
    ],
    "ComponentTags" : {
        "items" : [
            "component_type_stock",
            "range_very-long"
        ],
        "tagSetSourceFile" : ""
    }
}
Edit: For the heck of it, I succesfully validated my local game files.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 17, 2021

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

which version of the grasshopper is it that has all the support slots? i really wish MW5 had gone with the support slots thing. flamers and small lasers can go in the same slots, but machineguns can't, and i really want to fit just a billion tiny weapons on a grasshopper, but all the ones i've seen in MW5 have fairly normal amounts of slots

i am glad to report that the hunchback 4P (the 8 laser one) is fun as hell to drive in MW5, the same way it is to use in battletech

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
The basic GHR-5H? Not too many variants of it, either, though I don't know what year MW5 is set.

Edit: 5N has an extra medium laser, but I think none of them actually come with small weapons stock?
See https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Grasshopper

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 17, 2021

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
Everything looks fine ... but I did notice something.

In the first screenshot, the .json extension is visible, but in the second, none of the files have .json show after them ... but windows is recognizing the extension (see file type column). Is it possible that mod.json is actually named mod.json.json? It looks like Windows is hiding file extensions, so that would mean that the .json that's visible in the first screenshot is a second .json.

Check to make sure this isn't the case, and if it is, remove the extra .json. That should fix it.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

So I've been really enjoying my BEX:CE run, I'm running from 3025 and trying to get as much lostech together as I can before the clan invades.

I'm just at the point where I'm starting to entertain the idea of a second Lance, but I will have to buy a second leopard for that which will increase monthly costs quite a bit.

You can also add a fifth mech to your Lance, but as far as I am aware that will also require a second leopard for some reason? Any way to get around having to have a second leopard for that?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
It requires a second leopard because leopards can only hold 4 mechs.

e: What do you have to do to get bigger drops? I've got bex but I can't find what I need to alter to allow me more lances.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jun 17, 2021

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Carcer posted:

It requires a second leopard because leopards can only hold 4 mechs.

e: What do you have to do to get bigger drops? I've got bex but I can't find what I need to alter to allow me more lances.

If you check nexus mods there are optional files to download to enable it

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Organ Fiend posted:

Check to make sure this isn't the case, and if it is, remove the extra .json. That should fix it.

Thank you!! I'm super excited to get back into this game, I'll dig back into it this weekend. Thanks again for all your patient help!

It needed to be fixed in \my games\ etc. , by the way.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Jack B Nimble posted:

Thank you!! I'm super excited to get back into this game, I'll dig back into it this weekend. Thanks again for all your patient help!

It needed to be fixed in \my games\ etc. , by the way.

Glad I could help!

There are some other really basic weapon balance changes I'd suggest to make some of the more worthless weapons useful:

AC10:
-Heat = 6 or 9 (go with 6 if you don't change the damage)
-Damage = 65 (this turns it into a head chopper, enemies with AC10s can take your head in open ground, add +5 to all ++/+++ versions)

AC2:
-Damage = 30 (add +5 to all ++/+++ versions)

LRM10:
-Heat = 9 (for some reason the LRM10 is less damage/total-tonnage efficient than every other LRM launcher. This fixes it)

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

anakha posted:

The Thor-B is also really good as a jumping 30-SRM/55-60 LRM carrier.

If you're playing 3057 era or extend your 3049 play beyond 3052, the Night Gyr is insanely good as well. All variants are jump-capable, and it's a 75-tonner like the Mad Cat but moves slower (Marauder/Orion speed) and has a shitton of tonnage to use for weapons.

I keep forgetting about the Thor-B. I started a new campaign with the 3053 start, and I definitely intend to make one of these once I get to clan space.

Does the Artemis system affect called shots? If so, it might make the Thor-B a real GHR replacement.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I'm slowly making my way through the vanilla-campaign, after stopping nearly a year ago.

Fun, so far. After getting the Argo I went on a grand tour of the map towards the southern Taurian border, to collect funds for upgrades and mechs. Also to visit Taurian space before they hate me too much.

Of course, the RNG made getting this far a wild ride:

- Every single heavy I've faced fought to the bitter end, with both heads and legs just laughing at my called shots like they were protected by energy shields.

- A Marauder I got fairly early showed up unexpectedly when I was very low on money and of course the RNG denied me the missing 3rd part. Then I never saw that specific marauder type ever again.

- Then my main character spend 8+ months in hospital because her mech got cored and on the very first mission after her first four months, the exact same thing happened.

- A story-event gave me a Highlander-part for 100k money, then later another event gave me 100k money in exchange for one of my pilots running away to join the Grey Death Legion. Ah, well.

- The game cruelly delighted in sending a variety of interesting heavy mechs my way and then have them fight until every single part is destroyed, then never sending the same type ever again.

Now I'm at ca. day 450 of the campaign and have managed to leave medium mech land behind, mostly.

The break came when a Katapult got decapitated by my Centurion with a LB-X/10. Then I leveraged funds from suddenly easier missions to just buy some missing mech parts.

Now I've reached the Taurian border, but thanks to all the money I've needed, I had to take far too many contracts against them, and now they hate me too much. I'm not allowed to take any of the Pro-Taurian missions on offer here. (I hear the dread god Erenge laughing in the background)

Welp, my current main lance is Shadowhawk, Thunderbolt, Griffin and Archer. Seems to be enough for Panzyr, though I still want to cross the border to see if I can repair my reputation with the Taurians a bit.

Also hopefully I can finally finish one of the many Marauders, Jägermechs and Warhammers I've collected parts of on my way back.

Ridiculously, I managed to even get a Crab somewhere. Cute mech. It's now in my reserve together with my Katapult and the Yen-Lo-Wang Light my team used as a power house before I got the Thunderbolt

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Organ Fiend posted:

I keep forgetting about the Thor-B. I started a new campaign with the 3053 start, and I definitely intend to make one of these once I get to clan space.

Does the Artemis system affect called shots? If so, it might make the Thor-B a real GHR replacement.

Artemis adds base accuracy for some increased weight IIRC. I don't think it really impacts called shots other than that.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Alright, with some .json fiddling and messing around with mods, I finally got the Battle of Tukayyid flashpoint to spawn and it's been... underwhelming.

Pros:
  • Gets the attacking and defending units from the Com Guards and Clans correct, and allows you to face off against all 7 attacking Clans, in the order they attacked in canon.
  • Tries to recreate the specific key battles against each Clan.
  • The consecutive battles mechanic does recreate the nonstop battle setting for the Trial - you get shuffled around from one Clan to the next, and you're tasked with helping the Com Guards defeat at least 4 out of the 7 Clans.
  • You're given the option to pull out of the consecutive battles to rest and refit, at the cost of potentially making the next fight harder because you weren't involved in the previous battle.
  • In scenarios where two Clans are engaged at the same time, you're given the option of which Clan to face.

Cons:
  • The dialogue needs spellcheck and proofreading, badly.
  • The premise is weird: Focht invites you, a rinky-dink merc unit, to participate in arguably the most critical battle since the SLDF retook Terra? This might have been better off being coded similar to the Artru escape mission, where you don't select your pilots and Mechs but are instead controlling Com Guard units in SLDF-level tech.
  • The missions themselves are disappointing and lack variety: always 4-skull fights, almost always either a 4v4 or 4v8 battle or base defense, with other mission types occasionally appearing. The Opfor should have at least been organized into stars instead of lances.
  • The lack of variety in skulls means you mostly face Clan heavies with 2-3 mediums. I would have appreciated some missions where you have to take lights or mediums against Clan lights/mediums as well.

I ended up aborting the flashpoint halfway through as I didn't feel like finishing it anymore. I'll probably start up a 3025/3039 career next to try out the GDL flashpoints - hopefully they were written better.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I am losing my god drat mind.

I'm trying to up my steiner rep so I can get more salvage in clan battles, but no matter where I go steiner only ever wants me to fight pirates. In 10 jumps I've had 2 missions that don't involve pirates.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Carcer posted:

I am losing my god drat mind.

I'm trying to up my steiner rep so I can get more salvage in clan battles, but no matter where I go steiner only ever wants me to fight pirates. In 10 jumps I've had 2 missions that don't involve pirates.

Have you tried taking a couple anti-pirate missions at minimal salvage/pay, to grind extra Steiner rep? If you haven't totally ruined pirate rep, you can ten do the same for some of their jobs - especially pirate vs. local .gov. Did a few pirate jobs like that when I found a system with multiple contrYAAAARcts, but I also had the spare cash to ride out the income loss. Went from a -56 Hated to something like +20 in four drops.

Also, if you have Flashpoints available, you can do the Prototype one and give the McGuffin to the mateys, they'll love you long time for that.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Steiner likes me mostly already and I'm deep in their territory, there is no local government unless I fly back across the entire inner sphere.

Despite there bieng tons of kurita missions that target steiner, all the steiner missions target pirates and all the pirate missions target kurita. I am actually running out of money because I can't find a job that doesn't piss either one off.

13 jumps now and I'm starting to think the game just wants to screw me.

e: 16 jumps what the gently caress is going on.

e2: 20 jumps, every single mission is vs pirates. Even in systems with no pirate presence or blackmarket. Something has broken.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 17, 2021

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Get out of deep Steiner territory, find a border. Or just start checking who-all is active at a planet you might travel to, best is if you can find four or more factions present. Contested space out between major House territories is good for this, albeit at the cost of shite/no stores.

Are you running a modpack? Considering you're gearing up for Clanfights, I'd think so, but as I only ever played vanilla-story-pre-DLC and then dropped right into RT, I'm not certain.

Worst comes to worst, slap the game in the face by using a savegame editor. Tweak just enough to where you'd legit be rep/cashwise if things were working the way you want.

You're not fully allied with a faction, right? That can gently caress up reps bad enough to match what you're seeing...

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I am enjoying drilling holes in Clanner heads and CTs with my Annihilator, Cyclops and 2x Bull Shark lance. Bollocks to your "ferro-fibrous" and "endo-steel" and fancy 2-slot heatsinks, you die in a volley of called-shot UAC-5 fire like everyone else

Zephro fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 17, 2021

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Zephro posted:

I am enjoying drilling holes in Clanner heads and CTs with my Annihilator, Cyclops and 2x Bull Shark lance. Bollocks to your "ferro-fibrous" and "endo-steel" and fancy 2-slot heatsinks, you die in a volley of called-shot UAC-5 fire like everyone else

Zellbrigen would be such a cool concept to try and implement in this game. And you could keep winning fights with it by the endgame by simply doing this strategy.

I wonder, is there some Clan rule against targeting the cockpit if other mechs?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

evilmiera posted:

Nope, killing the other guy is extra honorable*

*because they can't complain about your tactics afterwards.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Organ Fiend posted:

Glad I could help!

There are some other really basic weapon balance changes I'd suggest to make some of the more worthless weapons useful:

AC10:
-Heat = 6 or 9 (go with 6 if you don't change the damage)
-Damage = 65 (this turns it into a head chopper, enemies with AC10s can take your head in open ground, add +5 to all ++/+++ versions)

AC2:
-Damage = 30 (add +5 to all ++/+++ versions)

LRM10:
-Heat = 9 (for some reason the LRM10 is less damage/total-tonnage efficient than every other LRM launcher. This fixes it)

I'm working on implimenting your suggestions now, but I want to be a bit cleaner than just throwing it all into PPC_Rebalance and instear use multiple mods.

Do I just go into the "load order" .json and add more mods, like:

[
"1.9.1-686R",
"PPC_Rebalance",
"AC10"
]

Edit: So, I'm reading https://github.com/BattletechModders/ModTek/blob/master/doc/MOD_JSON_FORMAT.md and MOD.JSON, should it look like this:

code:
{
    "Name": "PPC_Rebalance",
    "Enabled": true,

"Version": "1.0.0",
    "Description": "Fix PPC heat",
    "Author": "Me",
    "Website": "https://github.com/lol/notarealurl",
    "Contact": "",

"Settings" : {}
}

{
    "Name": "AC10",

}

{
    "Name": "AC2",

}

{
    "Name": "LRM10",

}

Because that...doesn't seem to be working. Maybe every the "body" of each mod goes into the first set of curly brackets?

Or do I need multiple mod.JSON files with some different naming?

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 18, 2021

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

evilmiera posted:

Zellbrigen would be such a cool concept to try and implement in this game. And you could keep winning fights with it by the endgame by simply doing this strategy.

I sincerely doubt most, if any, clan mechwarriors would engage in a proper duel with a mercenary unit on the basis that mercs are dishonorable to begin with and will obviously try and cheat somehow.

The ideal duel is probably one in which a single shot destroys the enemy cockpit. One side is completely and utterly defeated, there's no one left to argue, minimal damage done to the mechs.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

There was a mission branch in MW4:Mercs that resulted in you challenging a Star Colonel to a trial of possession. Your 2 Lances vs her Binary, and if you won she had to join your outfit. The alternative mission was to raid their camp in the middle of the night with passive sensors, and take them out in their sleep.

So yeah, Clanners are right to be wary of mercs.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
It should be noted that mission comes at the end of a longish contract and the trial of possession is, if I remember correctly, a desperation move to stop having you kick their asses in open combat.

I always picked the one that let you take her as a bondswoman. She was an incredibly skilled pilot but her best quality was that she'd screech like a bird when attacking.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm working on implimenting your suggestions now, but I want to be a bit cleaner than just throwing it all into PPC_Rebalance and instear use multiple mods.

Do I just go into the "load order" .json and add more mods, like:

[
"1.9.1-686R",
"PPC_Rebalance",
"AC10"
]

Edit: So, I'm reading https://github.com/BattletechModders/ModTek/blob/master/doc/MOD_JSON_FORMAT.md and MOD.JSON, should it look like this:

code:
{
    "Name": "PPC_Rebalance",

}

{
    "Name": "AC10",

}

{
    "Name": "AC2",

}

{
    "Name": "LRM10",

}

Because that...doesn't seem to be working. Maybe every the "body" of each mod goes into the first set of curly brackets?

Or do I need multiple mod.JSON files with some different naming?

I've never had to mess with the load order .json. I'm pretty sure BATTLETECH generates entries for new mods in this file automatically. Edits of this file sould only be an issue for more complicated mods that may be editing the same files. For simple .json edits like the PPC heat fix you made, this shouldn't be necessary.

For each new mod, just create a new directory with its own mod.json file, and the file structure path to the edited weapon .json files, just like you did with the PPC heat fix. You should see each mod listed separately in the MODS menu, and you can use that menu to click them on and off at will.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

And Tyler Too! posted:

There was a mission branch in MW4:Mercs that resulted in you challenging a Star Colonel to a trial of possession. Your 2 Lances vs her Binary, and if you won she had to join your outfit. The alternative mission was to raid their camp in the middle of the night with passive sensors, and take them out in their sleep.

So yeah, Clanners are right to be wary of mercs.

If the clans were formally added to BATTLETECH (i.e. in BATTLETECH 2), then clan pilots should show up in the salvage screen if they survive.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
You'd have to add AI ejecting to the main game, but a system for taking hostages and then either ransoming, releasing them or sometimes deciding to work for you would be very interesting.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Carcer posted:

You'd have to add AI ejecting to the main game, but a system for taking hostages and then either ransoming, releasing them or sometimes deciding to work for you would be very interesting.

BEX added panic and pilot ejects and it works extremely well. It always bothered me to have that Catapult limping around the map with one leg and no weapons trying to ineffectually melee you instead of just ejecting.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

especially as its canon that pilots would rather eject and be captured than take significant damage to their mech, since in the inner-sphere mechs and mech parts are scarce after like 400 years of wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I'm heavily leaning towards dropping the 85 ton Battlemaster and adding in a 2nd 75 ton Marauder. Pushing the Armour higher while rocking the few UAC 2 and 5's I've found just make it a monster. Even if not popping heads, targeting the CT or legs of nearly anything sub 65 tons and I 1 round them
With the pushed Armour I've avoided getting it shot off the map by using the clever strategy of "sprint the hell away and peek out for precision shots"
My other 2 mechs would be a highlander and a Annihilator.
I've found a whopping 1 other double heat sink and the campaign is going well. I'm jumping to systems I haven't been to before in between campaign missions hoping to find more UAC gear or ++ weapons with little to no luck. All my missions are now 3 to 4 skulls.

I'm kinda sad in that I have never used like a black knight or grasshopper and likely won't due to getting the 90 and 100 ton mech