Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

fritz posted:

in tiananmen the vehicles stopped when someone stood in front of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

slownews45 1 day ago [–]

The issue is the harm being described in apocalyptic terms by the astro community is not being weighed properly against the benefits to
1) humanity
2) astronomy in longer run.
It's become clear that at least the folks making the news are not going to be innovating. The cost reduction in space access represented by starlink should be a wake up a call to someone somewhere to think about could be done by embracing the SpaceX approach.
I'm not an astronomer, but I am a photographer. The fact that astronomers shoot these ridiculous shots showing insane streaks across their photos makes no sense. I could eliminate those trivially with a multi-exposure process for the types of photos being shown. I get the some things with ultra long integration times may not be able to take that approach, but again, the apparent helplessness of astronomers to manage even basic steps is revealing.
And then - why not consider what could be gained by looking at things in a new way from space? The physics is almost always better up there for looking at other stars and space.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i.. er, ah... hm

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

“I would simply not have problems” he said hackernewsishly

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

fritz posted:

slownews45 1 day ago [–]

The issue is the harm being described in apocalyptic terms by the astro community is not being weighed properly against the benefits to
1) humanity
2) astronomy in longer run.
It's become clear that at least the folks making the news are not going to be innovating. The cost reduction in space access represented by starlink should be a wake up a call to someone somewhere to think about could be done by embracing the SpaceX approach.
I'm not an astronomer, but I am a photographer. The fact that astronomers shoot these ridiculous shots showing insane streaks across their photos makes no sense. I could eliminate those trivially with a multi-exposure process for the types of photos being shown. I get the some things with ultra long integration times may not be able to take that approach, but again, the apparent helplessness of astronomers to manage even basic steps is revealing.
And then - why not consider what could be gained by looking at things in a new way from space? The physics is almost always better up there for looking at other stars and space.

this is some kind of hacker news triple word score for not understanding the problem, thinking their expertise in an unrelated field is translatable, and uncritical acceptance of techie bullshit

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
it’s a space telescope, elon. what it could it cost, ten billion dollars?

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

kitten emergency posted:

this is some kind of hacker news triple word score for not understanding the problem, thinking their expertise in an unrelated field is translatable, and uncritical acceptance of techie bullshit

don’t Astro-photographers literally do long multi exposures already?

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

quote:

Pedigree filtering is most often myopic elitism, especially in a business context. Anecdotally, I avoided MIT and Harvard because of Boston's snow and traffic. CalTech is Pasadena: too frick'n hot. I didn't study at all for the SAT-I and aced the math section. (The SAT should be more like the JEE.) I went to an expensive, "top 50" public university where I liked the area. Also, it was more practical and rigorous academically than most Pac10s (Pac12s now) and Ivys because they had something to prove (no grade inflation at all, they don't care if you turn in homework or not, not much market for homework and tests, and proctored exams). I also didn't do a PhD because of the economic disincentive: if I put in the work and the cost, I could do an MD, JD, or PhD CS but there is no added benefit.

quote:

I bombed an Apple interview for a mid-career role by being too intelligent and too maverick compared to the group of compliant, I hate to say, yuppies. It was an interview panel of about 9 people and they were just speechless.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Zlodo posted:

I bombed an Apple interview for a mid-career role by being too intelligent and too maverick compared to the group of compliant, I hate to say, yuppies. It was an interview panel of about 9 people and they were just speechless.

I'd really love to see a recording of that interview.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
source you are quotes

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

eschaton posted:

source you are quotes

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=27545622

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

fritz posted:

I'm not an astronomer, but I am a photographer. The fact that astronomers shoot these ridiculous shots showing insane streaks across their photos makes no sense. I could eliminate those trivially with a multi-exposure process for the types of photos being shown.

absolutely astonishing

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

cinquemb 9 hours ago [–]

> Apparently the only qualification should be whether the candidate can do contrived coding tests and programming jeopardy, but whether you actually want to work with them is beside the point!
Yeah, different companies want different things and are ok with different things. My best experiences have been with companies that have taken less than 2 weeks to hire me with no testing whatsoever: just a couple of calls. Other companies want and only select for the contrived coding tests and programming jeopardy, and that's fine, but I want nothing to do with them at all.
I would be interested in using triplebyte if they explored something like this: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=27545446
Maybe even allowing 3rd parties to bet on specific hiring decisions (in addition to what is described in the link) could add another layer of incentivized feedback loops to the process (esp if the people making the hire/fire before 3 months are made known) and add another layer of market driven signals for them to pay attentions to. Maybe make it more expensive to chase certain types that are in higher demand, and less expensive to chase others types that are in low demand (not the salary to the employee, just the payment for filtering). Maybe less expensive for shorter refund windows, and more expensive for longer refund windows.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

wombatmobile 1 hour ago [–]

> I think a proper examination of the variation within these species and the addition of other species would probably eliminate the appearance of negative allometry in the hominins.
What is “proper”?
The fact is simply that different species have different ratios. Any attempt to organise species measurements to show a trend is a fetish.
There is no trend. Animals just are what they are.
This need to infer a trend is rooted in the urge of (some) humans to rationalise their worldview of being superior to other animals.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

failwhaleshark 18 hours ago [–]

Pedigree filtering is most often myopic elitism, especially in a business context. Anecdotally, I avoided MIT and Harvard because of Boston's snow and traffic. CalTech is Pasadena: too frick'n hot. I didn't study at all for the SAT-I and aced the math section. (The SAT should be more like the JEE.) I went to an expensive, "top 50" public university where I liked the area. Also, it was more practical and rigorous academically than most Pac10s (Pac12s now) and Ivys because they had something to prove (no grade inflation at all, they don't care if you turn in homework or not, not much market for homework and tests, and proctored exams). I also didn't do a PhD because of the economic disincentive: if I put in the work and the cost, I could do an MD, JD, or PhD CS but there is no added benefit.
Most clinical doctors have social skills and crystalized intelligence from domain expertise, but aren't typically mistakable for particle physicists.
People don't necessarily require the proper sheepskins to possess fluid, crystallized, and/or other domains of intelligence AND the skills, personality, and experience relevant to excelling at a particular STEM role.
Pedigree is mostly used for social filtering and business leadership board packing, but if someone wanted to create an elite monoculture of staff, lacking in cognitive and personality diversity, by all means, go right ahead.
PS. I. Don't even get me started about a car full of CS IITians talking about the JEE and high-placers who seem normal on the way to snow country for snowboarding and gambling.
PS. II. I bombed an Apple interview for a mid-career role by being too intelligent and too maverick compared to the group of compliant, I hate to say, yuppies. It was an interview panel of about 9 people and they were just speechless. The other time I bombed an interview for being too smart was about 10 years before that when I was 20 at the old Borders bookstore in Palo Alto. Moral of the story: it's important to play dumb where appropriate because most people are relative-intelligence insecure.
PS. III. Sorry, reader, for the rambling and discontinuous thoughts. Absurd endocrine values of unknown etiology currently... doctor appointments pending. ):

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

wayneftw 19 minutes ago [–]

So the problem is that unkempt looking people have created code that this person has to deal with??

Oh, and every single person who has hair on their neck looks unkempt, without exception, am I hearing that right?

Sure, OK

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
akomtu 2 hours ago [–]

On a half serious note, the traditional 0-1 computing model is the origin of mental polarisation in our society, because such model permits no shades of gray. A better model would use probabilistic bits where each bit represents a probability density.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

systemvoltage 13 minutes ago [–]

Purely from a technological standpoint (not humanitarian or geopolitical), I see annexation of Taiwan as a great thing to get US out of it's current laissez faire in Semiconductors, esp Intel. It would be a good wakeup call for Silicon Valley to stop working on Ad-Tech and start semiconductor startups to live up to its legacy dating back to 1970s. I am afraid, it won't be SV doing this, it will be Austin (R&D, currently Apple/Samsung SoC) and Phoenix (Manufacturing - currently, Fab-42 in Ocotillo).

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

fritz posted:

systemvoltage 13 minutes ago [–]

Purely from a technological standpoint (not humanitarian or geopolitical), I see annexation of Taiwan as a great thing to get US out of it's current laissez faire in Semiconductors, esp Intel. It would be a good wakeup call for Silicon Valley to stop working on Ad-Tech and start semiconductor startups to live up to its legacy dating back to 1970s. I am afraid, it won't be SV doing this, it will be Austin (R&D, currently Apple/Samsung SoC) and Phoenix (Manufacturing - currently, Fab-42 in Ocotillo).

real big :thunk: on this one

yes annexing an irradiated wasteland of bombed-out semiconductor fabs would help the united states abandon its free market approach towards semiconductors. I am the smartest boy in the room

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
they’re not talking about the us doing the annexation

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rjmccall posted:

they’re not talking about the us doing the annexation

yeah and he’s probably right in that the only thing that has any chance to really get the US to invest heavily in advanced semiconductor processes again would be being cut off from TSMC

however I suspect that the largest companies in the world would have to not care and if anything increase trade with the PRC because number would go down

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

the senate did just pass a $50 billion of corporate welfare giveaways for domestic fab capacity which is roughly 1.5 current gen fabs at market rates lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theyll prolly need to ramp up by building shittier fabs first

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
yeah you need to make a bunch of worthless junk-tier fabs to grind up enough fab-building xp before the game lets you make the good ones

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Jabor posted:

yeah you need to make a bunch of worthless junk-tier fabs to grind up enough fab-building xp before the game lets you make the good ones

thankfully glofo has been doing that so should be able to unlock the good stuff quickly

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Jabor posted:

the top of the line semi fabs is basically immunocompromised surgery with teams of phds and gigantic vats of piranha acid and billion-dollar-a-pop steppers

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jabor posted:

as the home of intel, america has a lot of experience with building worthless junk-tier fabs so we should be able to level up to making the good ones in no time

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
here come the pop stepper

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

argvargc 12 hours ago [–]

That a widely-disputed "leader" is "promoting" a treatment in a country as diverse and with as many systemic issues as Brazil, has no necessary bearing nor indication of that treatments actual use or resultant efficacy.
That you have a friend that took it and went to the ICU is similarly meaningless. What dosage did he take? What other predispositions did he have? How badly was he exposed? What other treatments were used? Did he keep taking it throughout, or not? You say he's recovering now, would he have died without it, then?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
A longitudinal study of the long term impacts of COVID infection on the brain recently made it to the front page and really brought out the anti-vaxxer crowd:

ekianjo 2 hours ago [–]

> You don’t want a tiny piece of mRNA but you want the whole organism reproducing in your body?

Rather than injecting yourself with mRNA which will create long-term antibodies in your organism which will be reactivated any time something like COVID19 appears again in the nature, it's probably safer to rely on COVID19 treatments are are short lived (as in, metabolized) and reduce the viral load swiftly.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mr.Radar posted:

A longitudinal study of the long term impacts of COVID infection on the brain recently made it to the front page and really brought out the anti-vaxxer crowd:

ekianjo 2 hours ago [–]

> You don’t want a tiny piece of mRNA but you want the whole organism reproducing in your body?

Rather than injecting yourself with mRNA which will create long-term antibodies in your organism which will be reactivated any time something like COVID19 appears again in the nature, it's probably safer to rely on COVID19 treatments are are short lived (as in, metabolized) and reduce the viral load swiftly.

Any covid related thread on HN is just complete insanity. I hope that the anti-vax users are specifically seeking out these threads, because otherwise if the posts are a representative sample of HN posters the sheer number of anti-vaxxers is absolutely terrifying.

Cerberus911
Dec 26, 2005
Guarding the damned since '05
That thread is a goldmine

megous 2 hours ago [–]

Vaccination has its risks too. Long-term pain in the vaccinated shoulder, that will eventually spread to the other arm (due to sudden overuse), will not make you enjoy your life either.
Having to test regularly may be less of a bother in life, if you lose this stupid vaccination lottery..., if you want to play on the convenience note.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I got my second Pfizer dose the day before it snowed and then threw out my other arm from shoveling a foot of snow off my driveway, so therefore vaccines are bad for everyone

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

my shoulder hurt after the 1st (moderna) shot but it wasn't near as bad as when i get a dpt booster

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
i didn't get so much as a bruise from either covid shot or the tetanus booster i had recently in the wake of a comical gardening accident

my conclusion is that i am now invincible

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

fritz posted:

my shoulder hurt after the 1st (moderna) shot but it wasn't near as bad as when i get a dpt booster

yeah same. I think I'm about due for a tdap as well, friggin ouch

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
lmao ya i've been wondering if i'm like the only person that gets a flu shot every year

i got some other vaccination the last time i got a checkup too, i don't even remember what it was i was just like sure doc

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 21, 2021

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I got a tdap booster like a month ago and it made my arm hurt for longer/worse than Pfizer did

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

kitten emergency posted:

I got a tdap booster like a month ago and it made my arm hurt for longer/worse than Pfizer did

few days ago and same

i'm not surprised cult of technology posters are anti-vaxx, them and facebook boomers are the only ones who could unironically believe in 5G brain control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
gently caress, that reminds me I'm probably due for boosters this year. gotta check with my doc when I see her next