Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Fangz posted:

Isn't the series sponsored by Honda?

they don't appear to be on the production committee, but they probably provided the bike 3d models at the least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tales of Woe posted:

they don't appear to be on the production committee, but they probably provided the bike 3d models at the least

They definitely provided the 3d models, they're so crisp and clean it's like they walked right out of a showroom floor.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

So I watched all of fruits basket in the last week or two and it was really good and s3 was really good. I don’t have much thoughts beyond it’s nice when things are good.

kater fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 17, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Terry van Feleday posted:

yeah it's straight up a honda ad and not subtle about it, but it's also a lot more earnest than that description would have you believe

Being a blatant marketing platform isn't an automatic indictment against it, plenty of cartoons in the 80's and 90's were the exact same thing. It all comes down to how hands-on the marketing guys are in development as to how crap it turns out.

Terry van Feleday posted:

Regarding Super Cub, I'm just gonna crosspost from twitter:

Koguma's handling of the rescue was patently awful but also a sharp bit of writing as a natural extension of who Koguma is. Her extreme isolation & lack of people to rely on has given her a wilful independence that leads her to try & solve problems by herself, but she's been totally reliant on her cub as a crutch for interacting with the outside world in any capacity, unable to consider even basic modes of concern that don't involve it as a mediator. Calling an ambulance isn't even part of her available grammar. (Note the externalizing language she keeps using: "My cub is coming", "thank my cub" etc.) Just letting the others into her home, her safe space, is a big step and clearly puts strain on her, she's totally emotionally ill-equipped to deal with Shii's entire situation

It's wild for an Iyashikei work to put its protag on a spot like this where all her worst qualities & insufficiencies are magnified to an extent that legit puts another's life at risk, but it works super well for contextualizing the end of the ep, where she becomes very aware of those and how far Shii is actually ahead of her as someone who can reach out to people intuitively & climb out of a depressive funk on her own resources without rebuilding her entire personality around A Honda Product™

(I do think it would've been interesting if this event put a strain on Koguma & Shii's relationship, but also I get that Shii is extremely the kind of person who'd see Koguma's approach as cool & mature rather than dangerously irresponsible)

She's just spent half a season getting her Cub ready for winter so, get this, she doesn't feel the cold. And has now gone to rescue someone freezing cold. Putting the poor kid where she's going to feel the most cold possible during the trip is just flat stupid, and I'd wager the thought process was "hey, remember that joke we wrote about Koguma saying she could fit Shii in her basket? I've got a GREAT callback idea... :pseudo:"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fact is pretty much every anime is an advertisement for something. a place further than the universe was really good but was also propaganda for the jp government to the point they were on the production committee. granted 'antarctic research is cool' is pretty banal propaganda but still, that feels worse to me than the honda thing.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
oreimo was really good but then kirino was on posters telling the youth to vote so bit of a moral compromise there

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the yugioh guy made a poster where yugi tells you to vote out shinzo abe

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Endorph posted:

the yugioh guy made a poster where yugi tells you to vote out shinzo abe

And that smoking weed is no good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ippSwVEyNsA

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

The Colonel posted:

im sleeping until one of the new wave of poly lesbian manga gets animated

waiting for one of them to get more than 10 chapters first

SeanGaffney
Mar 16, 2002
Nomad of the Time Streams
More Super Cub chatter, from Twitter:

"Reddit users have located Koguma's apartment and the entrance to the cat path on google maps. They're ~500 ft apart. (Shii's home is three miles to the north.)."

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

only now? 2chan discovered them months ago, should have just copied their work!

even made a map of koguma surprisingly large, considering her poverty, apartment

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Davincie posted:

only now? 2chan discovered them months ago, should have just copied their work!

even made a map of koguma surprisingly large, considering her poverty, apartment

i always think apartments in anime like this one look so nice until i realize they're like 400 sqft and i remember ive never lived somewhere that small

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

King of Blaze

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Erg posted:

i always think apartments in anime like this one look so nice until i realize they're like 400 sqft and i remember ive never lived somewhere that small

If it's well planned a 35-40sqm apartment is actually pretty fine for one person :v:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Another glorious episode of There’s No Spider, Don’t Watch.

This time they had fancy 3D models for shun and evil shun. I’m not sure if they’ve had those before. But they used them to promptly no sell two different fights like complete idiots. Like the whole thing where Shun fights Evil Shun? Like the entire drive of the human side? Oh evil shun is just a worthless gnat that can’t stand against dumb dragon powers shun didn’t even earn. The end.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
A small one-bedroom apartment in a small rural community is unlikely to be as high cost as in a major city. And it's not exactly a luxury accommodation.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
SSSS.Dynazenon had a very strong final episode and a third season for Gridman x Dynazenon so great all around. Combined with Super Cub losing me a little it's definitely my AOTS.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Lol even if I had wound up not being desperately bored with Dynazenon, a direct sequel/crossover announcement is basically the opposite of what I'd want for either series.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

all the teaser was was saying dynazenon x gridman, and the dynazenon cast's deals were all pretty wrapped up. you'd think if they were heading straight into an actual crossover they'd leave some threads for them. it seems more likely they're just crossing over the mech designs and some of the concepts with a new cast?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Speaking of anime that will never get a sequel...Back Arrow had a crazy dumb ending, but I think it was fitting in a sense and the characters at least ended up in a good place.

They had already resolved almost everything that needed a resolution, so this was more of an excuse for a little more escalation (that part was cool) and weird setting reveals (that part was dumb).

In other words, I'm happy with the journey and the last arc as a whole, so the finale episode felt like more of an afterthought to the experience in my view. Leaving space for a sequel that'll never happen.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Just leaves plenty of room for the Super Robot Wars games to expand on!

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Just leaves plenty of room for the Super Robot Wars games to expand on!

It would be a high crime against mecha if this show doesn't end up in a Super Robot Wars game eventually, so absolutely!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/CanipaShow/status/1405874331444338699?s=19

Nice simple article breaking down the various kinds of anime projects Crunchyroll has been involved in over the last few years.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's bizarre that they promoted gibiate and ex-arm as Crunchyroll Originals but not oddtaxi.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Were there any successful crunchyroll originals?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Grouchio posted:

Were there any successful crunchyroll originals?

Shield Hero.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdhj9gq4bbM

For about 23 hours you can watch the first episode of Sonny Boy subbed on Funimation's YouTube channel. It's directed by Shingo Natsume (One Punch Man s1, Horimiya, Acca-13, Boogiepop Phantom 2019).

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Nitrousoxide posted:

Shield Hero.

Sad but true. The article also points out that depending on your definition both So I'm a Spider and Odd Taxi are Crunchyroll originals, with the former being quite fun while the latter is an AOTS contender.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

Sad but true. The article also points out that depending on your definition both So I'm a Spider and Odd Taxi are Crunchyroll originals, with the former being quite fun while the latter is an AOTS contender.

I mean, if you count Odd Taxi despite it not being advertised as one, Crunchy was on the committee for "A Place Further than the Universe", and that was one of the top anime of 2018, a pretty competitive year.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

The article mentions that shield hero wasn’t a crunchy production just something they wish was. Honestly that article makes it seem like the whole program was just one dude looking to pay money to take credit for things already working.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

shield hero, tower of god, god of high school, and tonikawa were successful popularity-wise

a place further than the universe, odd taxi, and yurucamp s1 (can't find any evidence that they stayed on for s2) were successful critically

there's a few others that were solid shows but probably weren't particuarly successful at making money e.g. in/spectre, somali and the forest spirit

kater posted:

The article mentions that shield hero wasn’t a crunchy production just something they wish was. Honestly that article makes it seem like the whole program was just one dude looking to pay money to take credit for things already working.

shield hero was a crunchyroll-driven thing, it just predates them calling (some of) their co-productions "crunchyroll originals"

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

much like netflix, the good ones are the shows where they clearly just threw some money towards an already in planning production rather than trying to make things happen themselves

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

shield hero was crunchyroll-driven, it just predates the branding, yeah. crunchyroll approached the author and the license holders about an anime. the novels nor the show aren't that popular in japan - for reference i looked up their sales and both do about as well as the misfit in demon king academy, and if you've never heard of misfit in demon king academy, exactly - but the fantranslations of the novel were extremely popular on reddit/4chan in the west, so crunchyroll was looking to capitalize.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Endorph posted:

shield hero was crunchyroll-driven, it just predates the branding, yeah. crunchyroll approached the author and the license holders about an anime. the novels nor the show aren't that popular in japan - for reference i looked up their sales and both do about as well as the misfit in demon king academy, and if you've never heard of misfit in demon king academy, exactly - but the fantranslations of the novel were extremely popular on reddit/4chan in the west, so crunchyroll was looking to capitalize.

Ugh. I should have known.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
Anyone been watching Snow White Notes? Just saw the finale episode and it really felt like half of a two cour for sure. I’ve definitely been enjoying the music in it and I’m glad they brought back the first OP this episode as well. Crazy to think this stacked season is finally coming to a close.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

To be fair, that's not a bad strategy to capitalize on if you're finding stuff that has a decent-sized fanbase outside of Japan. They just needed to take a look at what they were actually investing in because :yikes:.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yes I'm sure they invested in it with no knowledge of what it was.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I know the manga and the novel or whatever was way more hosed up but the anime must have been pretty tame considering most of the people watching it were normies. The hand wringing is fail!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chumbler posted:

Yes I'm sure they invested in it with no knowledge of what it was.

Three words; "Interspecies Reviewers Dub".

(Granted that was Funimation, but you get what I mean)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

agreed, they should've invested in mushoku tensei instead