Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Shouldn’t be *too* hard. You’ve got, what, six wires in that car? :P

Maybe n all seriousness, a basic 5 or 6 circuit kit from American Autowire or the like will likely get you everything you need, outside of the power sources and actual bulbs.

And LOL at California outlawing stuff that works because it could be slightly dangerous if you eat it or something. I’m assuming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

Darchangel posted:

Shouldn’t be *too* hard. You’ve got, what, six wires in that car? :P

Maybe n all seriousness, a basic 5 or 6 circuit kit from American Autowire or the like will likely get you everything you need, outside of the power sources and actual bulbs.

And LOL at California outlawing stuff that works because it could be slightly dangerous if you eat it or something. I’m assuming.

Yeah, there isnt too much to it, its actually a great learning expierence to do the wiring myself. So the basic rundown of it is that I did the whole harness myself - there are really no elements to the car so I did the whole thing with cloth covered 14g wire in a few colors. I have:

ignition
fuel pump
Headlights tail lights on off
brake lights
high beam / low beam
fog light
horn

I have turn signal lights in the front, the wires are ran, but they're not connected to anything.

and one hot lead for something like a radio or something...

all of that is run off of a blade style fuse block that gets a 10g wire from the battery/generator and distributes to a few fuses - all of my lights are on one fuse, ignition another, fuel pump another, horn another and a few blanks

so far things have been fine, but then again, im not any sort of electrical guy.

I think the problem that I'm having stems from the absoultely awful 6v batteries available - it behaves very strangely, leaks and is generally a piece of trash. also the fact that the generator does absolutely nothing could be a problem.

If I had to guess doing the switch over would be as easy as this - also this is really helping me to actually write it all out so I can stick to a plan:

Re-do the battery lead terminals so that they fit on the proper size posts
install new pertronix unit
install new coil
wire the new pertronix unit to the proper posts of coil and hot lead from key switch
install 12v headlights and tail lights
install 12v fuel pump and switch leads from positive ground to negative ground.

my maybe questions:

will the 6v starter solenoid melt?
will my 6v motorcycle horn become 2x louder? this is the case on the 40s cars I've converted to 12v and the results are often quite comical.
do stop light switches care about 6 vs 12?

I already have one of these baddies on the way to me:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019XEV9VC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?smid=A1FJ1WMPKJVUMQ&psc=1

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
You should find some kind of class or textbook for electricity to learn fundamentals. Understanding how voltage, amperage and reistance relate to each other would be a boost to your problem solving.

Examples, the switches won't matter since they just close a circuit. Chances are they'd handle 10x the current with no problem. Bulbs definitely will need to change since the increase in volts will double the current to them and they can't handle that. I would expect you're right on the horn. The solenoid on the other hand should be fine, double the voltage but half the current, and a quick Google says the starter can handle the higher voltage, but predictably will get hotter and spin faster.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

StormDrain posted:

You should find some kind of class or textbook for electricity to learn fundamentals. Understanding how voltage, amperage and reistance relate to each other would be a boost to your problem solving.

Examples, the switches won't matter since they just close a circuit. Chances are they'd handle 10x the current with no problem. Bulbs definitely will need to change since the increase in volts will double the current to them and they can't handle that. I would expect you're right on the horn. The solenoid on the other hand should be fine, double the voltage but half the current, and a quick Google says the starter can handle the higher voltage, but predictably will get hotter and spin faster.

The only ways that the switches/solenoid might care about voltage is that when it's "off" (open circuit) it needs to be able to hold the extra voltage difference without arcing, and the insulation between its inner workings and ground wherever it's mounted needs to hold the voltage.

If we were talking about a difference of 10x or 100x I would expect they would need to change. Since it's just 2x, it's probably fine. I'd hope the safety factor in these sorts of designs are much more than 2x.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Raluek posted:

The only ways that the switches/solenoid might care about voltage is that when it's "off" (open circuit) it needs to be able to hold the extra voltage difference without arcing, and the insulation between its inner workings and ground wherever it's mounted needs to hold the voltage.

If we were talking about a difference of 10x or 100x I would expect they would need to change. Since it's just 2x, it's probably fine. I'd hope the safety factor in these sorts of designs are much more than 2x.

I was rolling that around in my head as to what would be the limiting factor for switches and relays.

Basically to me: if electricity passes through it, 12v will be fine. If it uses electricity to do something, things will change, not necessarily in a bad way.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

StormDrain posted:

I was rolling that around in my head as to what would be the limiting factor for switches and relays.

Basically to me: if electricity passes through it, 12v will be fine. If it uses electricity to do something, things will change, not necessarily in a bad way.

Doubling the voltage across the contacts isn't going to hurt anything at these low voltages, but you will likely overheat the coil and significantly shorten its life. The resistance of the coil stays the same, so the power it dissipates goes up with the square of the voltage, it'll generate 4x the heat.
Also, since the coil will engage with so much more power, i have seen the mechanical components in relays fail due to the extra abuse.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I'd LOVE to find an old book about automotive electrical systems.

Wiring has always repulsed me, until I got in to this car. I got the right quality tools, quality connectors, quality wire, quality shrink tube... It makes the whole difference, its actually something I really enjoy now. I understand that what I'm doing is completely basic and elementary, and I know that a lot of you guys are doing things way more complex, but I enjoy this kind of thing. I've added a lot of circuits to all my cars since I started messing with this stuff.

I did a lot of studying of really high end car builds, wiring harnesses, connectors, cable management... I guess its just another layer skill that goes in to the toolbox - I even dedicated a Kennedy box (I know, I have a real issue with them) to electrical work -

I keep having long conversations with the ignition guy and I'll be pulling my distributor and sending it out to be re-curved to better suit my setup, while there he's going to be swapping out the 6v Pertronix unit for a nice 12v one - in addition to that, I really do feel like my issue is completely electrical, and if it turns out to not be electrical, at least I'm upgrading to something that will ease at least a small part of the headache associated with this vehicle.

It's been really hot, and I've had other things to do, but if you'll disregard the child for one moment, you can see that the paint that came on my grill shell was starting to fail.

so a bit of work later:

Really makes me want to paint the whole car...

In other news, I got hired to have my car in a photo shoot for a historically significant house that just hit the market...

https://www.coldwellbanker.com/property/10500-Wystone-Ave-Porter-Ranch-CA-91326/5372839/detail
scroll thru, you'll see my car!

what makes it significant is that it was designed by the famed architect "to the stars" Paul R. Williams

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_R._Williams

it was originally designed for this guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Arlen

who happens to star in one of my favorite early movies "Wings"

So the whole experience was pretty surreal for me.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That's pretty cool, my in-laws are architect / home nerds so I've heard a lot about Paul Williams. Crazy that he was designing homes decades before Jackie Robinson started in MLB. This quote from wikipedia is particularly wtf:

quote:

Known as an outstanding draftsman, he perfected the skill of rendering drawings "upside down." This skill was developed because in the 1920s many of his white clients felt uncomfortable sitting directly next to a Black man.

But for $3 million I'd like more than a 4 car garage, although in LA I don't think you'll find many houses with more than that for that price.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

chrisgt posted:

Doubling the voltage across the contacts isn't going to hurt anything at these low voltages, but you will likely overheat the coil and significantly shorten its life. The resistance of the coil stays the same, so the power it dissipates goes up with the square of the voltage, it'll generate 4x the heat.
Also, since the coil will engage with so much more power, i have seen the mechanical components in relays fail due to the extra abuse.

What me and my dad did 30 years ago is put a 6V voltage regulator to feed the points and coil and replace the light bulbs. Everything else was just fine with 12V.

Granted, this was on a 1941 Massey-Harris tractor, so it was a very limited wiring system.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

wallaka posted:

What me and my dad did 30 years ago is put a 6V voltage regulator to feed the points and coil and replace the light bulbs. Everything else was just fine with 12V.

Granted, this was on a 1941 Massey-Harris tractor, so it was a very limited wiring system.

i think chrisgt means the coil in the starter solenoid that pulls the contact closed. he's right about the extra power draw causing accelerated wear, but i was assuming that the duty cycle of the starter is so brief that it's not going to hurt anything. i could be very wrong about that tho

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Raluek posted:

i think chrisgt means the coil in the starter solenoid that pulls the contact closed. he's right about the extra power draw causing accelerated wear, but i was assuming that the duty cycle of the starter is so brief that it's not going to hurt anything. i could be very wrong about that tho

That seems to be the common wisdom online. It'll run a little faster and hotter, but not too bad.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Raluek posted:

6v starters on 12v tend to engage the bendix so hard that they break parts and completely destroy things.
Some are worse about this than others, but in all cases, it's a lot more abusive than normal.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

chrisgt posted:

6v starters on 12v tend to engage the bendix so hard that they break parts and completely destroy things.
Some are worse about this than others, but in all cases, it's a lot more abusive than normal.

It will definitely engage though. At least once. Possibly more.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

chrisgt posted:

I guess the tractor starter was extra beefy, it worked for at least 10 years. Makes sense that it would be built strongly.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
About that, the original bendix gears on model a's are made of glass and break often with even the stock 6v system.

this is the original:

this one is called the "modern style" but in actuality its just a tractor variant - this was one of the first mods I did to the car after I snapped the bendix spring starting the car advanced

So a lot has conspired and the 12v conversion is in full swing, I got the alternator and installed, sent off my distributor to be re-curved and serviced as well as upgraded to 12v - I added a few new fuse circuits to clean up some of my halfassery and thats all been done in the sun.

DO YOU THINK I CAN GET AWAY WITH USING A 6 VOLT fuel pump? its brand loving new and it was a total bitch to install - danger?

I need a new fanbelt because the new pulley is faster for that good good spin.

I also got some new headlights, but I'm having trouble finding an amber bulb with the right connectors in the back to re-do my fog light:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Replacement-12-Volt-Vintage-Style-Fog-Light-Bulb-Amber-Lens,100162.html

but I'm worried this one may not fit because of those weird attached wires - the one I have has screw in terminals

the foglight housing is very narrow..

Also: horn - does the polarity matter? - not hard to switch the wires, but does it matter? I have no relay for it either, do I need to add one? danger if I dont?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

LobsterboyX posted:

DO YOU THINK I CAN GET AWAY WITH USING A 6 VOLT fuel pump? its brand loving new and it was a total bitch to install - danger?

It's an electric device that passes a flammable liquid, and you're making it deal with 4 times the power it was designed for.. I'd be hesitant.
However, low pressure fuel pumps are generally fairly low power, you could probably just use the appropriate ignition ballast resistor. This will limit current and thus not potentially light the car on fire.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

chrisgt posted:

It's an electric device that passes a flammable liquid, and you're making it deal with 4 times the power it was designed for.. I'd be hesitant.
However, low pressure fuel pumps are generally fairly low power, you could probably just use the appropriate ignition ballast resistor. This will limit current and thus not potentially light the car on fire.

:shepspends: I guess you're right. ordered.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

I'd LOVE to find an old book about automotive electrical systems. .

I would imagine you could. I have several ‘60 textbooks on automotive systems and repair. They’re hand for understanding the way it was done, then. Also a couple vintage bodywork book, which are handy for DIY, when you don’t have all the fancy tools moser bodymen take for granted. A reprint “metal bumping” handbook for, I think, the ‘30s-‘40s is very useful for hammer and dolly techniques, for example. I got that free with the Martin hammer and dolly set I bought.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

this is really where I want to be right now...

Well, I'm slowly checking stuff off the list.

I got 2 new circuits installed in my fuse block, horn and fuel pump dedicated - so now I have 4 circuits

All lights: 25 amp fuse
ignition: 20 amp
fuel pump: 20 amp - is this overkill?
horn: 20 amp - is this also overkill?

Ive successfully sourced a 12v fuel pump that fits with all my bracketry and lines - picking up tomorrow

I've installed new 12v sealed beam headlights - from napa, and honestly they look really bad rear end. will take pics soon

Installed new 12v tail light bulbs

I'm picking up a few smaller fan belts because with the new alternator - hopefully one fits..

I'm going to take a chance on my starter solenoid - we shall see.

My distributor is being re-curved and updated with 12v module, this is also coming with a new coil (which I really do suspect was my issue all along.)

lets talk about early ford distributors for a moment.

So - I have a modern style distributor - its got advancing weights and a pertronix unit inside of it. I believe they found an off the shelf 4cyl distributor of unknown origin, then modify them to work with the banger

this is an older photo, I'm not running the "Raja" ends anymore, I have boots and proper plug ends

This is what an original distributor looks like

note that your plug wires are just lovely copper strands, god forbid you come near one while its running.

these also do not have any sort of automatic advance, in their stock config, there is a lever on the column in which you manually advance and retard the spark. Typically you start the car fully retarded, then quickly move the lever to full advance for normal driving. This prevents the starter from getting thrashed on - refer back to our previous topic on starter bendix'z

So essentially you get no advance curve and your always driving the car in full advance. less than ideal for me.

I was having a conversation with my buddy who is a tinkerer and he talked about this photo:

what you see here is a ford banger with a flathead v8 distributor modified to run the 4cyl -

hmmmmm... wheels turning.

but the real answer is just spend the money on a dual point vertex magneto :shepspends:

also this gets me every loving time - I drew this when I made my floor board and its a lovely reminder to know that I have a leaky wheel cylinder UGH.

Visual candy; Me and the boys took a nice little trip last friday.

We drove across "Suicide Bridge" in to the lovely old town of Pasadena ca

they recently had to install... these awful suicide prevention fences which really ruins the aesthetic

heres what it used to look like:

this is a screen cap from 2016 when I was trying out filming my exploits.

heres some history on of the bridge:

http://www.weirdca.com/location.php?location=57

We stopped by this old gas station turned ice cream hot spot:

then we stopped by this weird old scientists house, he was working on some delorean:

aka

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamble_House_(Pasadena,_California)

also, I've sold over 100 of these, I had to make an order for more.

more soon

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Are those still temporary fences for suicide bridge or is that the final product? They look horrible, and I thought they had been looking at better solutions but I don't really follow it. Despite living pretty close to it, I rarely have a reason to go over it.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

MomJeans420 posted:

Are those still temporary fences for suicide bridge or is that the final product? They look horrible, and I thought they had been looking at better solutions but I don't really follow it. Despite living pretty close to it, I rarely have a reason to go over it.

well, I think this may be the final product, I know people were fighting against nets below it or off the side of it... COUGH FOXCONN COUGH - but nothing really surprises me anymore.

big news!

it works, amazingly, and with the fantstical 12v upgrade, this drat thing has become a new car!

my new distributor curve is amazing as well, mad power son...

in other news! I went to a drag race...

that I should have raced in, but my car was still on the skids.

the winner of the 4 banger street class was wearing one of my stickers too! guess they do make you faster.

caravaned with these jokers..

I realllllly wanted this little display they had at the swap meet area, but the price was just too drat high

the next day one of my cars had a date! if some of you remember my Indiana Jones car story, you'll know I often shy away from renting my cars to the studios, mostly because I've worked of the studios and seen first hand how little these people care - anywho - my buddy has been wrangling cars now for a few years and is having a lot of success with it, he finally convinced me to let my cars give back, and knowing that he would personally be there, and the only one driving my car - the price per day was pretty drat good.

I'm absoultely shocked that this car fit in there...

upon its return, its starter solenoid took a dump! yay!

so now she's dry docked in the service bay waiting on more parts

couldn't resist the dual buicks in the picture.

and its had visitors

This photo kinda made me stop for a bit, I really do have a "type" of cars, and this made me want to maybe look in to changing up the paint on the model a.

cruise night has been fun, I've had multiple conversations with multiple friends that our friday night cruise has really become crucial to our mental health as men. it totally caps the week and gives us all a finish line

last week there was a newcomer...

oh bad rear end 56 nomad..... wait a minute....

the actual story of why is way less cool than the stories you could come up with on your own - it was one of the cars vandalized in a shooting spree that tagged a handful of cars in the guys hood.

more coming im falling asleep

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

My favorite drive-bys are Lobsterboy photo drive-bys. No shots of your kid with a giant smile though, 2/10.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
ask and ye shall receive.

My friend brought over his 1926 Lincoln - yes, the wheels are taller than my son, yes i posed him to be a "crying car show baby" and yes, this car was originally ordered for none other than Mary See of the See's candy dynasty.

he also enjoyed riding around in my cousins 1960 olds for the 4th of july parade

we also found him a car that may be more his size:

his speech is progressing so crazy, he's stringing words together now and my favorite so far is "dada VROOOOM" - he cant stay out of the cars.

we also took him on his first road trip, and he did so well it was kinda scary

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 10, 2021

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I did a thing today.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cabovers are loving tits, but I don’t see a link to a thread. What’s wrong with my Awful app?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

PainterofCrap posted:

I did a thing today.

e: thread's coming. It's been a log day

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PainterofCrap posted:

I did a thing today.

I'm not sure why it's in the thread it's in at all but I like it.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

I did a thing today.

And you retire from Facebook after a purchase like that?! Tease

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
why? why must things be like this...

this giant thing and the bridgeport behind it... ugh... how the hell am I going to move these things.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Hazard Fraught Tools 2-ton engine hoist. It’s been crazy handy.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

LobsterboyX posted:

this giant thing and the bridgeport behind it... ugh... how the hell am I going to move these things.

Girl you just gotta. That's beautiful iron.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

LobsterboyX posted:

Uhaul and a cherry picker. Break it down, load it up.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I'm still working a deal on both of these - they belong to a guy I JUST started working for - he mentioned that I could do a few days of work in exchange for these... but then again, he says a lot of things. He has 4 bridgeports, a Tree mill and a really big 70s import lathe among other stuff - one bridgeport and the lathe are the only operational cool vintage machines that get used- this drill press is quite amazing - when I take my next smoke break I'm going to do a bit of research on it. this thing is definitely meant to be run by a leather belt in some kind of factory - theres a giant motor on the other side of it that it was probably converted to in the 50s, maybe 3 phase?

In other news the roadster is running... Amazingly, but its been so f'n hot its pretty tough to drive around during the day, at night, its perfect - alternator, fresh battery - everything works well... its perfect

SOOOOo the buick got upset, and as i previously said, it got dry docked due to a no start condition - I once again dipped in the the well and pulled out a new 12v "mini" starter made for the car - Ok, the sound of this thing bugs the poo poo out of me... and its super light, but it looks wrong - WHATEVER it loving works. SO I get this thing, put it in, hit the key, push the button and...... nothing. You've got to be loving kidding me.

:price is right loosing horns:

of course its a off shore part - called the auto parts store and got a south american one that is well liked - its not like I'm pulling huge amps to this thing... super annoying.

Oh yeah, so I didn't have to buy a new starter afterall? I just keep telling myself that its better...

but my core pile is growing.

from bottom to top:

the WORKING starter from my 48,
the NON WORKING starter from the 42 (of course they dont interchange)
a spare 1940/41 starter (that interchanges to nothing) - plus a spare solenoid to the left that again exchanges to nothing
a "kinda" working 1948 6 volt generator thats been converted to 12
a non working 6 volt generator from a 42 - thankfully these last two interchange and I plan on using the generator to at least get the 42 going.

I also pulled the distributor of the 42 and discovered that this thing has NEVER been f'd with - it had the original setup inside, that I really dont think had ever been changed. I put Pertronix in everything, so I cleaned this thing up.

newsflash - this breaker plate is 1930s tech - there are upgraded breaker plates available, and I even have one! I just cant find the drat thing! its one of those things you see for years and years but then when you need it its nowhere to be found

this cool grandma car that belongs to a friend showed up to say hello

you can only own this car blue hair and you are always smoking a Virginia slim 1000 - flashbacks to my evil grandmother and her lovely friends back in the late 80s really hit hard.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

LobsterboyX posted:

you can only own this car blue hair and you are always smoking a Virginia slim 1000 - flashbacks to my evil grandmother and her lovely friends back in the late 80s really hit hard.

Curb feelers!

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

LobsterboyX posted:

1966 New Yorker?

Goddamn do I want a 60's Chrysler.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

boxen posted:

1966 New Yorker?

Goddamn do I want a 60's Chrysler.

Good luck finding one without the wheel arches & rear quarters eaten.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
This one is for sale and is rust freeeeeeee!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

Oh, that’s a cute little Bridgeport!
I needs it.
Wouldn’t say no the the monster drill press, either.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Well, I passed on both of those machines, and the owner of them is now a client of mine so, I guess things are good.

so the indoctrination of my son is really paying off well - cars are "vroom vrooms" and doing this is one of his favorite things:

obviously I didn't drive him to the show, mommy drove him and grandpa (pop) meets us there, as he is a huge gear head himself. I also take him around the neighborhood like this and now he's waving at everyone from the car - I'm worried I'm going to get posted on nextdoor soon.

when we're not driving around, we're playing with cool stuff like this:

I'm loving obsessed with this hot wheel - The local independent auto parts store owner is a loving genius - he has a little hotwheels display on the counter and all the dads and grandpas HAVE to buy one for their kids. got me, hook line and sinker

I'm not a huge fan of the modern hot wheels line - most of the cars that aren't based on real cars are dumb and plasticy however this one has an interesting story

It's called the Mattel Dream Car - this car is a tribute to one of first car toys they ever created in 1954

obviously a bit bigger than a hot wheel but now I'm on the hunt for one - this particular one is on ebay just south of $500 which is a bit cheeky, but I think they can be had for 100-200 bucks without the box

the design of it is most likely borrowd from the Barris creation "Golden Sahara"

read about this amazing vehicle here:

https://kustomrama.com/wiki/The_Golden_Sahara

Some day I want to make a trip to Chicago to see this thing.

other toy stuff, I got suckered in to buying this overpriced cool wooden car:

its drat cool and is very satisfying to hold and it rolls on really nice rubber tires..

My wife's car is almost unbearable to drive in this heat with the kiddo, and we are planning to replace it soon, but in the meantime, shes been using my lexus leaving me to drive to work in this heat in cars like this:

same angle of my lexus

And of course that spot was occupied when I drove my roadster yesterday, but I did stop and grab this fun pic.

Not very fun to drive in 98 degree weather.

speaking of fun... look what happened at cruise night

the old David Mann painting:

cruise night:

I got another rental for my wagon, so I had to pull the fleet out

I've also been getting my poo poo in order to turn our guest house in to a bit more of a functional space - we had a tenant for a number of years and when he moved out in early 2019, the room basically became a catch all for us, as I go thru it I find things that I've completely forgotten about with all this madness.

I found this old phone

this thing hung on the wall of my grandparents since long before I was born, it probably put up sometime in the 50s - as a kid I remember playing pretend with it and cranking it to hear the bell ring - I had never actually opened it, and I always thought it was some kind of repop or decorative item - I'd been moving it around from place to place for years and this time I decided to throw it up on the bench and maybe try to find a place for it in the garage.

its real

real old

and this chrome...

I wound up giving it a bit of a cleanup and hanging it up in the garage, but I kinda want to figure out something fun to do with it.

I also had to get this keychain back in to rotation.. RIP.

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
funny enough, I just dug out these photos of my moms 16th birthday party in 1962 - look whats on the wall.