Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

facebook's been waiting to do this forever, the idea that it's just a hypothetical is hilarious

it's a fuckin certainty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Orv posted:

It's Facebook, you really think they won't reach that point?

If they do I'll disapprove, until then I don't really see the point in getting mad

To be clear, I'm talking about your "Wait 15 seconds for an ad to play before you can play a round of a game" idea

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gort posted:

If they do I'll disapprove, until then I don't really see the point in getting mad

To be clear, I'm talking about your "Wait 15 seconds for an ad to play before you can play a round of a game" idea

El problema es el capitalismo

They might not go that far because the backlash would be loving apocalyptic but I guarantee you they're gonna at least push it to that line and try it, or at minimum want to.

Orv fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 17, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
if thats the price to to make "fetch" happen, they can keep it. I'll take 3 big monitors doing 3 different things over 2 little ones strapped to my fuckin eyeballs to do a 3DS party trick

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Gort posted:

Sure, if they do your hypothetical bad thing at some point in the future, that would be bad.

agreed facebook would never do anything bad, especially not with ads. also im from mars hello nice to be here

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

:golfclap:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Orv posted:

If I'm gonna drop Twitch and Youtube cause they're forcing ads on me or at least forcing me to do weekly maintenance to keep them gone, why on loving earth would I use a headset that does it

100 loving percent. Once Twitch started with the purple screens I went from watching it for several hours a day, buying subs, etc. to 0. I logged in once in the past month to see if they were gone and noped out immediately when they showed up. gently caress ads, gently caress anyone who works making ads, I'd rather play a Nintendo the rest of my life than have to watch that poo poo.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Sab669 posted:

You have that backwards :thunk:

Facebook and Google are the advertising companies.

Apple makes the premium device at a premium price that allegedly respects your privacy. Valve would be Apple here, not Google.

In that respect, you're right, but I was making the comparison of the many devices/more open Android ecosystem vs the one manufacturer locked down Apple ecosystem.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Gamedec demo was pretty darn good. Didn't encounter any bugs, thought I might have played myself out of being able to finish it but there was in fact a path I could still take to get access to the upstairs. Combining the skill checks and cyberpunk of Shadowrun Dragonfall with the deduction board of Sherlock Holmes Crimes & Punishment is a good combination. Also there are a lot of clues to find.. you likely will be skill gated out of getting all of them but you'll get enough to be able to come to the right conclusions.

Super Magbot
It's fine. Really good late era Genesis-style music. Avoid playing with the Steam Controller though, you need a good right analog stick for this one.

Alex Kidd DX
Okay.. so... Master System hot take here, but I don't really like Alex Kidd. It's not as bad a launch title as, say, Kid Chameleon (sorry KC fans, I know there are some out there), but I just don't enjoy it. The remake, to give it some credit, does a really nice job updating the visuals, and the feel of the controls of the game are better suited to this modern style where the sprites can do more squash & stretch and there's just more flourish.

But it's still Alex Kidd. Which means getting within 5 pixels of an enemy kills you instantly. And the scrolling is one-way. And the level design is absolute garbage. A couple of these things could have been modernized, but they chose to go the safe "don't make the hardcore Alex Kidd fans angry!" route, complete with a button that switches back to the original graphics and music.

that's 17 demos down. My top 3 are Norco, Toem and Gamedec.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 17, 2021

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Sloppy posted:

100 loving percent. Once Twitch started with the purple screens I went from watching it for several hours a day, buying subs, etc. to 0. I logged in once in the past month to see if they were gone and noped out immediately when they showed up. gently caress ads, gently caress anyone who works making ads, I'd rather play a Nintendo the rest of my life than have to watch that poo poo.

I use streamlink and it plays through vlc. Takes a bit to set up but it doesn't show ads. If you want a chat I use chatterino. I haven't been on the main twitch site in months because it sucks so bad now.

https://github.com/streamlink/streamlink-twitch-gui

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Wiltsghost posted:

I use streamlink and it plays through vlc. Takes a bit to set up but it doesn't show ads. If you want a chat I use chatterino. I haven't been on the main twitch site in months because it sucks so bad now.

Does it work again? There was a time it just didn't and showed ads or broke down after every ad, so I swapped to Alternate Player for twitch on browser

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

good stuff so far.
Steam doesnt seem to want me to sort these demos for "cool online coop"
any suggestions?

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Dackel posted:

Does it work again? There was a time it just didn't and showed ads or broke down after every ad, so I swapped to Alternate Player for twitch on browser

Works fine for me. There is an option in settings to skip ads. I've never seen an ad using it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Before you start on recs here's what I have!

Also huh, never heard of Last Epoch, looking it up now, thanks!

You're missing Darkstone. :v:

Far as I can tell it was the first Diablo knockoff ever made, and actually pretty drat good for the time. It has its share of oldschool jank and weirdness, but also a lot of charm.

Of course, being from 1999, getting it to run on a modern pc might not be a given. My Steam copy won't run, but maybe the GOG version might?

https://www.gog.com/game/darkstone

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Wiltsghost posted:

I used this for a good long while and kinda forgot about it following a reinstall, I tried it again last week and it opens a python.exe window alongside the stream which is annoying as hell, but I haven't found anything on how to make it not do that from some googling so I kinda abandoned it :<

/edit: Of course I find it immediately after complaining. You need to choose streamlinkw.exe and not streamlink.exe when configuring it from GUI

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 17, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

The 7th Guest posted:

that's 17 demos down. My top 3 are Norco, Toem and Gamedec.

You should try out Chinatown Detective Agency! I'm curious what you think. I think it's got a lot of promise, I really like the concept of having in-game puzzles in which the game doesn't actually provide all the information you need to solve them.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Play posted:

You should try out Chinatown Detective Agency! I'm curious what you think. I think it's got a lot of promise, I really like the concept of having in-game puzzles in which the game doesn't actually provide all the information you need to solve them.
I had played the prologue in the very first steam festival. It was alright but didn't have a ton of content, so I dunno if anything's changed since then. I remember having to research outside of the prologue maybe once.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
40k Battlesector looks to be a solid tactics game. The commander units seem to have quite deep skill trees and while it's not in the demo, I know there's supposed to be some kind of weapon customization for your squads. There's a slight disconnect between the quality of the models and environments (around DOW2 level) and the animations (below DOW2 level) but it's no dealbreaker. You can give multiple units different orders at the same time, so it's pretty snappy for a TBS. As far as I know it's just Blood Angels and 'Nids, but with a generic name like "Battlesector" I wonder if they have plans to expand down the line.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

So on this one game (haque) my inputs are being taken as like triple or quadruple key presses. Like on an old computer when your processor is too fast for the software. Keyboard and controller both have this problem. What should I do?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mordja posted:

40k Battlesector looks to be a solid tactics game. The commander units seem to have quite deep skill trees and while it's not in the demo, I know there's supposed to be some kind of weapon customization for your squads. There's a slight disconnect between the quality of the models and environments (around DOW2 level) and the animations (below DOW2 level) but it's no dealbreaker. You can give multiple units different orders at the same time, so it's pretty snappy for a TBS. As far as I know it's just Blood Angels and 'Nids, but with a generic name like "Battlesector" I wonder if they have plans to expand down the line.

Aw hell. I was actually also pretty taken with that demo, but I didn't realise it was only those two factions (plus I guess a Sororitas unit?). Probably gonna give it a pass unless some more factions come down the pipe. Boring-rear end Space Marines always have to get all the attention :arghfist::saddowns:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm late for the Nox chat but it really is an amazing game, I'd pin it at 100% a better game than Diablo2, which came out two weeks later, and totally eclipsed it in marketing/sales. Nox's three single player campaigns are hand-crafted, zero procgen, and it shows and is really fun. Again, three campaigns for three player classes (with similarities, of course), and the muliplayer was explicitly designed for PvP balance. Nox PvP was a loving blast, I was describing to to friends back in the day as "2d Quake with crossbows".

But of course it turns out that people don't want carefully curated content, they want to mindlessly grind PvE for five hundred hours to make number go up. So Diablo2 and its spinoffs became the norm, and Nox later patched in a sad pseudo-procgen mode called NoxQuest where you could kill the same mobs forever for no reason. The end :(

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is there much point in comparing the two? From what little I played of Nox, it's only superficially similar to Diablo.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
There is also the oldschool FATE, (not the dumb anime) it's a good ARPG. Didn't see it mentioned yet. LOTS of expansions too.

Also on sale on GOG. I think FATE Complete Pack has all of them for 10 bucks.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

The 7th Guest posted:

I had played the prologue in the very first steam festival. It was alright but didn't have a ton of content, so I dunno if anything's changed since then. I remember having to research outside of the prologue maybe once.

Ah I thought it was part of this whole thing, maybe I'm mixing it up with Mohism. I agree with that completely but I'm hoping that the prologue is just the baby version and things get a little more involved after that. Would be cool for it to be almost ARG-like

Mescal posted:

So on this one game (haque) my inputs are being taken as like triple or quadruple key presses. Like on an old computer when your processor is too fast for the software. Keyboard and controller both have this problem. What should I do?

Since both keyboard and controller are doing this it kinda sounds like a problem with the game rather than any issue you have control of? Especially since I assume this has not been a problem with any other game?

Honestly I'm never sure how to fix input issues or even if it's possible. Usually I just try my other controller or the keyboard and if there are still issues I just give up and play one of my other games, of which there are many.

You're very welcome for my stupid non-answer

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mescal posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/662540/discussions/0/1644292549025449176/

Apparently there is an option in settings called "Button Pulse" that may fix this

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Givin posted:

There is also the oldschool FATE, (not the dumb anime) it's a good ARPG. Didn't see it mentioned yet. LOTS of expansions too.

Also on sale on GOG. I think FATE Complete Pack has all of them for 10 bucks.

I feel like if you already own Torchlight 1&2 then FATE is just utterly redundant.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Cheers for the Nox recommendation, turns out I own it already, yay.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Picked up Nox - I hate giving GOG money but for 1.50 and it being the only place to get it...fine. I'll check it out.

I also installed a huge Sacred overhaul mod - Sacred Reborn, where it rebalances everything and bugfixes some broken quests. I tested out the Seraphim the other night and now it's time to be a vampire and dig in for a long game!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Picked up Nox - I hate giving GOG money but for 1.50 and it being the only place to get it...fine. I'll check it out.

I also installed a huge Sacred overhaul mod - Sacred Reborn, where it rebalances everything and bugfixes some broken quests. I tested out the Seraphim the other night and now it's time to be a vampire and dig in for a long game!

You playing Sacred or Sacred 2? I love Sacred 2 because you can be a sassy robot dogman.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

StarkRavingMad posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/662540/discussions/0/1644292549025449176/

Apparently there is an option in settings called "Button Pulse" that may fix this

Ooooh thank you!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

HopperUK posted:

You playing Sacred or Sacred 2? I love Sacred 2 because you can be a sassy robot dogman.

I would like to know the mod as well

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Sacred 1! I have played some Sacred 2 and love robot dogman, but I decided to start at the beginning before I dig into 2 proper.

The mod: https://sites.google.com/view/sacred-reborn-hd-en/main-page

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Also! I have been gifted FATE and....this is Torchlight. This is literally a prototype edition of Torchlight, and the same devs worked on both, right? .... Right?

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

The same guy was lead designer on both, yeah

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Red Red Blue posted:

The same guy was lead designer on both, yeah

Huh! Did he work on T2 and 3? Because I smell a Soldak Entertainment situation here...

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Play posted:

It felt very Carmen Sandiego to me. Had to do some research on historical and geographical topics, including one instance of actual deep diving.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Hunter: Call of the Wild and all its DLC are on deep discount this weekend, including a bundle with the game and all DLC at 70% off. This is the game that a lot of people really like and think it's a cool wandering around in nature game even if I'm not like way into hunting, right? Like, I'm not opposing to hunting as a mechanic, I'm just not someone who is going to know a lot about it or really want to learn the deep ins and outs of real hunting. But I'm tempted to get it at this discount since I think I remember a lot of positive reviews.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Watching a bit of the developer broadcast from Police Simulator: Patrol Officers which released in Early Access today.

*frisks a suspect, finds 1 oz of weed and a lighter*
Pop up: "Up to 1 oz of marijuana is legal in this state"
*handcuffs the subject and calls in for arrest*

Later on, investigating a car accident, interviews the witnesses, drug tests the driver who looks nervous and finds methamphetamines and acid in her system -- lets everyone go with a warning.

It's supposed to be a straightforward thing, not a "bad cop" simulator, and it was just because the dev playing was watching chat and not paying attention but the ACAB there cracked me up

(edit) the developers are German and kind of endearingly earnest about this thing, and you do get penalized experience points for loving things up at the end of your shift

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Somebody help me here because the pandemic has made time a blur.

Wasn't the first festival way back at the start of 2020? And Chinatown Detective Agency is still not fully released?

:thunk: