Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Mr. Nemo posted:

The doors of eden, by tchaikovsky

If you read Children of time and thought "I wonder what else this guy has written" stop. This was a lot worse than that. It's like a Dan Brown thriller with sci fi background. The concept is very interesting, and the in world book is great, but the plot itself and the characters are just ugh. And not in the usual sci fi way of having flat characters.

The book has nearly non stop references to pop culture stuff that just seemed unnecessary. 7 or 8 references to narnia, 2 doctor whos, hitchhiker's guide, jurassic park, you name it. It also has the phrase "In my head cannon i'm totally shipping you".

The plot gets a bit more cool sci fi at the end, but I don't think it's enough to overcome the rest of it. Which is a shame, because i absolutely loved Children of. I will postpone further reading of this guy, I had firewalkers lined up next

He publishes 3 or 4 books a year and they do vary a bit, maybe try some of his novella work, ironclads or the expert ssystem's brother?

There's also the d&d campaign but with insects Shadows of the apt that I really liked most of but it's a real commitment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
My 2c

High fantasy was traditionally a very conservative good guys/bad guys; royalty; magic; things were good once and maybe can be again.

Things have certainly changed in fantasy over the past 10-15 years.

I've always been a mostly scifi guy but I've been reading genre for almost 30 years.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
high fantasy: elves and magic
low fantasy: daggers and horseshit

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

thotsky posted:

high fantasy: elves and magic
low fantasy: daggers and horseshit

High fantasy: Aerothas Lightwing, Lord of the Dragonriders
Low fantasy: The Murder Bastards

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
high fantasy wizards walk up to your tower, call you a fool and give you a chance to repent

low fantasy wizards get a bunch of mercs to ambush you with crossbows in the woods

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mr. Nemo posted:

If you read Children of time and thought "I wonder what else this guy has written" stop. This was a lot worse than that. It's like a Dan Brown thriller with sci fi background. The concept is very interesting, and the in world book is great, but the plot itself and the characters are just ugh. And not in the usual sci fi way of having flat characters.

The book has nearly non stop references to pop culture stuff that just seemed unnecessary. 7 or 8 references to narnia, 2 doctor whos, hitchhiker's guide, jurassic park, you name it. It also has the phrase "In my head cannon i'm totally shipping you".

The plot gets a bit more cool sci fi at the end, but I don't think it's enough to overcome the rest of it. Which is a shame, because i absolutely loved Children of. I will postpone further reading of this guy, I had firewalkers lined up next

Children of Ruin is good too. Shame to hear that he other stuff they've done isn't any good and that it sounds like a reaction to the financial success of RPO/RPT.

freebooter posted:

I always thought low fantasy = magic and monsters exist but are rarely spoken of or encountered by most people living in this world, whereas high fantasy = magic and fantastical elements are incorporated into the everyday lives of the people.

Though I suppose by that logic LOTR and Wheel of Time are both low fantasy which... doesn't sound right at all.

Monsters aren't rarely spoken of or encountered in LOTR though, it's the exact opposite. The Shire borders a forest that is known to be extremely dangerous, Rivendell is protected by magic but they still have to deal with orcs in the area with some regularity (Lothlorien too). Gondor is in a forever war with Mordor and Rohan regularly had orc causing problems in it even before Saruman starts his machinations. Every living person in Erebor knows full well that monsters and magic exist because of the events of the Hobbit, though I could see younger people thinking Beorn was actually some guy with a pet grizzly fighting along side him rather than a shapeshifter. Magic's less common for men/hobbits but LOTR is 100% high fantasy.

IIRC, someone in Fellowship mentions how there are horrible things within a day of Bree too and I'm not sure if any area of Middle Earth is really 'safe' from monsters aside from maybe the Gray Havens.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I'll concede to your knowledge, it's been years since I read LOTR but I recall the vibe of it being Good Old English Hobbits in the pub being like "yeah Dan's grand-uncle says he saw an Ent once but he's full of poo poo"

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
High fantasy: has dragons
Low fantasy: has no dragons

Hard sci fi: the dragons are aliens
Soft sci fi: the dragons are aliens and also your friends

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

freebooter posted:

I'll concede to your knowledge, it's been years since I read LOTR but I recall the vibe of it being Good Old English Hobbits in the pub being like "yeah Dan's grand-uncle says he saw an Ent once but he's full of poo poo"

Yeah the hobbits are being deliberately sheltered

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Children of Ruin is good too. Shame to hear that he other stuff they've done isn't any good and that it sounds like a reaction to the financial success of RPO/RPT.

Monsters aren't rarely spoken of or encountered in LOTR though, it's the exact opposite. The Shire borders a forest that is known to be extremely dangerous, Rivendell is protected by magic but they still have to deal with orcs in the area with some regularity (Lothlorien too). Gondor is in a forever war with Mordor and Rohan regularly had orc causing problems in it even before Saruman starts his machinations. Every living person in Erebor knows full well that monsters and magic exist because of the events of the Hobbit, though I could see younger people thinking Beorn was actually some guy with a pet grizzly fighting along side him rather than a shapeshifter. Magic's less common for men/hobbits but LOTR is 100% high fantasy.

IIRC, someone in Fellowship mentions how there are horrible things within a day of Bree too and I'm not sure if any area of Middle Earth is really 'safe' from monsters aside from maybe the Gray Havens.

I thought that by "monsters" freebooter meant things like dragons and beholders, not elves and orcs. And "magic" is also a blurry category - Galadriel makes it sound like "magic" isn't a very meaningful category in Middle-Earth. (You could interpret her as just emphasizing the moral difference between her powers and Sauron's, but I feel like the distinction between magic and non-magic is sort of ambiguous for both the good and evil kinds, and magic-like effects are often fairly subtle. I don't remember it being entirely clear whether Wormtongue was just good at persuading Theoden or if he was acting as some kind of conduit for a spell Saruman was casting on Theoden, for example.) In any case, there's very little Jack Vance/D&D-style magic in LotR.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 17, 2021

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

90s Cringe Rock posted:

high fantasy wizards walk up to your tower, call you a fool and give you a chance to repent

low fantasy wizards get a bunch of mercs to ambush you with crossbows in the woods

So Malazan is both, since both of these things happen on a regular basis in the series?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/UrsulaV/status/1405614503358877702?s=20

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Mr. Nemo posted:

The way you've written this makes it sound like you might have missed the fact that there's a direct sequel to Children of Time; Children of Ruin: This Time With Octopuses. It's good.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
High fantasy: only the king and his heirs matter.
Low fantasy: who is the king this year?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Silver2195 posted:

I thought that by "monsters" freebooter meant things like dragons and beholders, not elves and orcs. And "magic" is also a blurry category - Galadriel makes it sound like "magic" isn't a very meaningful category in Middle-Earth. (You could interpret her as just emphasizing the moral difference between her powers and Sauron's, but I feel like the distinction between magic and non-magic is sort of ambiguous for both the good and evil kinds, and magic-like effects are often fairly subtle. I don't remember it being entirely clear whether Wormtongue was just good at persuading Theoden or if he was acting as some kind of conduit for a spell Saruman was casting on Theoden, for example.) In any case, there's very little Jack Vance/D&D-style magic in LotR.

Off the top of my head, the only characters in LOTR (and the Hobbit) who could be said to use magic and aren't directly tied to the Divine in some way are Beorn and maybe the Witch King before they became a Nazgul. The Witch King had a ring of power though. :shrug:

The people we see use magic in LOTR are pretty much the wizards, Galadriel (lived in Valinor), the Witch King, Sauron, and then some artifacts like the rings of power and relics from the First Age like Sting.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Heroes (First Law) by Joe Abercrombie - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00480O978/

The Uplift Storm Trilogy: Brightness Reef, Infinity's Shore, Heaven's Reach by David Brin - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091YFWFZK/

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Off the top of my head, the only characters in LOTR (and the Hobbit) who could be said to use magic and aren't directly tied to the Divine in some way are Beorn and maybe the Witch King before they became a Nazgul. The Witch King had a ring of power though. :shrug:

The people we see use magic in LOTR are pretty much the wizards, Galadriel (lived in Valinor), the Witch King, Sauron, and then some artifacts like the rings of power and relics from the First Age like Sting.

I think Aragorn does some things in the gray area where you can argue whether it should be considered "magic" (e.g., obscure herblore), and some minor elven characters, like Glorfindel, are also vaguely magical.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Silver2195 posted:

I think Aragorn does some things in the gray area where you can argue whether it should be considered "magic" (e.g., obscure herblore), and some minor elven characters, like Glorfindel, are also vaguely magical.

J. R. R. Tolkien posted:

...the blade seemed to melt, and vanished like a smoke in the air, leaving only the hilt in Strider's hand. 'Alas!' he cried. 'It was this accursed knife that gave the wound. Few now have the skill in healing to match such evil weapons. But I will do what I can.'
He sat down on the ground, and taking the dagger-hilt laid it on his knees, and he sang over it a slow song in a strange tongue. Then setting it aside, he turned to Frodo and in a soft tone spoke words the others could not catch. From the pouch at his belt he drew out the long leaves of a plant.
'These leaves,' he said, 'I have walked far to find; for this plant does not grow in the bare hills; but in the thickets away south of the Road I found it in the dark by the scent of its leaves.' He crushed a leaf in his fingers, and it gave out a sweet and pungent fragrance. 'It is fortunate that I could find it, for it is a healing plant that the Men of the West brought to Middle-earth. Athelas they named it, and it grows now sparsely and only near places where they dwelt or camped of old; and it is not known in the North, except to some of those who wander in the Wild. It has great virtues, but over such a wound as this its healing powers may be small.'
He threw the leaves into boiling water and bathed Frodo's shoulder. The fragrance of the steam was refreshing, and those that were unhurt felt their minds calmed and cleared. The herb had also some power over the wound, for Frodo felt the pain and also the sense of frozen cold lessen in his side; but the life did not return to his arm, and he could not raise or use his hand.

Healing aside, it's hard to argue that this bolded bit isn't some kind of magic that the Hobbits just aren't worldly enough to recognize as such.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I like to think he was just going "what the gently caress what the gently caress what the fffuuucccckkkk" in elvish to himself, and then leaned over to frodo and whispered "please don't die, we are hosed if you die".

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I like to think he was just going "what the gently caress what the gently caress what the fffuuucccckkkk" in elvish to himself, and then leaned over to frodo and whispered "please don't die, we are hosed if you die".

This is now my new headcanon!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Aragon, the witch king, and (maybe?) Beorn are all kings or of royal lineage and thus also divine.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I always thought the line between "did magic" and "used a firework/herblore" was deliberately vague in some places. And iirc that song didn't do much and he had to have surgery later to deal with the little murder splinter.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Maybe he was singing a Placebo song!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Harold Fjord posted:

I always thought the line between "did magic" and "used a firework/herblore" was deliberately vague in some places. And iirc that song didn't do much and he had to have surgery later to deal with the little murder splinter.

I agree with all this, bit the fact that the Morgûl-knife's magic was stronger than Aragorn's doesn't mean that Aragorn wasn't trying to solve (or at least diagnose) the problem with magic. From which we can infer that he has ability of that sort.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

pradmer posted:

The Uplift Storm Trilogy: Brightness Reef, Infinity's Shore, Heaven's Reach by David Brin - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091YFWFZK/

I really enjoyed this one. The Uplift setting is a grand scale multigalactic saga with eons of history. Most of it for most species pretty hosed until they become the oppressor class in turn. It's mostly set on a small, illegal multi-species colony and follows a group of "teenagers" doing Mad Scientist Club stuff who stumble onto something bigger than galaxies. It's a good cross between a coming of age story and some grand space opera.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

i liked it because it had these very different species, some of whom are big enemies in the rest of the universe, living together and actually being a community
most of the time in sf the species are very segregated, which is logical since they have their own planets etc. so this was a nice change of pace

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I liked a lot of things about the Uplift Storm trilogy (like the previous posters above), but I found the books as a whole less than enjoyable, about middling. I liked Startide Rising and The Uplift War much more overall.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Brin's SFF writing is kind of weird. All the positivity in it is anathema to what Brin says & truly believes IRL, and there is alot of weird-skeevy sex stuff that gets a pass or got a pass when originally written because it was hyperChimps or hyperDolphins doing the weird skeevy sex stuff.

All the speaking male hyperChimps in Brin's Uplift universe are barely disguised bigName SFF authors in full blown BigEgo "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas SFF conventions stays at SFF conventions" mode.

If you could somehow edit out all the chimp stuff, Uplift War would suddenly be the length of a MurderBot novella. Doing the same to Brin's other Uplift stories including purging all the sexual assault hyperDolphins would result in massively condensed stories; but then also be something I wouldn't feel ashamed at recommending other people interested in SFF checking out.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

quantumfoam posted:

Brin's SFF writing is kind of weird. All the positivity in it is anathema to what Brin says & truly believes IRL, and there is alot of weird-skeevy sex stuff that gets a pass or got a pass when originally written because it was hyperChimps or hyperDolphins doing the weird skeevy sex stuff.

All the speaking male hyperChimps in Brin's Uplift universe are barely disguised bigName SFF authors in full blown BigEgo "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas SFF conventions stays at SFF conventions" mode.

If you could somehow edit out all the chimp stuff, Uplift War would suddenly be the length of a MurderBot novella. Doing the same to Brin's other Uplift stories including purging all the sexual assault hyperDolphins would result in massively condensed stories; but then also be something I wouldn't feel ashamed at recommending other people interested in SFF checking out.

I thought about editing in "horny neo-dolphin/chimp stuff aside" after I posted that but didn't, and and probably should have.

Do you have more information about the sff author expy chimp thing from TUW? I'd be car-crash-interested in more detail.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Do you have more information about the sff author expy chimp thing from TUW? I'd be car-crash-interested in more detail.

Main character hyperChimp neo-chimp from The Uplift War is definitely Bob Heinlein; being improbably multi-skilled at everything from spaceship piloting to drum circles to intelligence tests PLUS the female hyperChimp neo-chimp harem made it obvious. Sundivers hyperChimp neo-chimp is probably Niven, because Startide's Rising's hyperChimp neo-chimp conduct and uselessness screams out Pournelle. Finally the hyperChimp neo-chimp in Uplift Storm series is either Asimov or Brin himself.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 19, 2021

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Black Prism (Lightbringer #1) by Brent Weeks - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003JTHY76/

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I thought about editing in "horny neo-dolphin/chimp stuff aside" after I posted that but didn't, and and probably should have.

There's no shame in retroactively adding it to your post because that skeevy neo-dolphin & neo-chimp sex stuff needs to be mentioned in giant blinkers up front to anyone new to the David Brin Uplift universe books.

off-topic: Decided to read Colin Wilson's SPACE VAMPIRES, the book the 1985 movie LIFEFORCE is based on.
Space Vampires the novel is utterly insane, and despite there being a heavy focus on orgone lifeforce sexual studies and a "good" kind of vampirism taught by a neutral-horny Count Dracula 2.0 that is totally skipped by the movie, the movie actually reuses lots of the characters and locations and the step-by-step plot events in the book.
Book version of Patrick Stewart doesn't explode into a blood-fountain hologram of the naked lady however the book does end with the implication that Carlsen, the astronaut lead character in the movie & book orgonic-ly devoured the 3 space vampires on Earth and that Carlsen is slowly turning into Count Dracula 3.0...

minema
May 31, 2011
Started reading Red Mars - are the weirdly focused paragraphs about Arabs a thing that continues through the book? I can't tell yet if it's meant to be weird because it's from the characters PoV or if KSR is just explaining his thoughts.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

What's weird about them? I haven't read it since I was a teenager and don't remember KSR being particularly Orientalist (certainly not racist) but it may have just gone over my head.

edit - actually I do remember that chapter being Frank's POV and I do remember Frank generally being portrayed as racist or at least very Western-centric.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

minema posted:

Started reading Red Mars - are the weirdly focused paragraphs about Arabs a thing that continues through the book? I can't tell yet if it's meant to be weird because it's from the characters PoV or if KSR is just explaining his thoughts.

I think the assumption is that a lot of people migrated over to Mars in groups and due to the relatively low population their cultures didn't dramatically shift or merge a lot and there's friction between all the different arrivals. The first chapter is a little odd because it's just setting up a major event that now you know is going to happen but without knowing more about the situation then and more about Frank he's an rear end in a top hat, I can see it coming off strange.

My memories of the books are that there's fairly large periods of them where it's either covering Mars geology (far off past and whatever is currently going on) and the characters doing stuff that's basically a tour for the reader through the current state of Mars and some group of people currently living in some place, and then bursts of the larger plot and things dramatically shifting with time jumps in between. There are some more insert-culture-here colonists on Mars doing their own thing periods in the book, but I don't recall any that would come off potentially as strange as the starting point. I do think it goes in to a lot of detail over time about all the various motivations for different people to migrate to Mars and how it plays in to whatever current situation is going on.

The books did feel like a marathon, much more so than anything I've read since, but one I really wanted to finish.

minema
May 31, 2011

Pervis posted:

I think the assumption is that a lot of people migrated over to Mars in groups and due to the relatively low population their cultures didn't dramatically shift or merge a lot and there's friction between all the different arrivals. The first chapter is a little odd because it's just setting up a major event that now you know is going to happen but without knowing more about the situation then and more about Frank he's an rear end in a top hat, I can see it coming off strange.

My memories of the books are that there's fairly large periods of them where it's either covering Mars geology (far off past and whatever is currently going on) and the characters doing stuff that's basically a tour for the reader through the current state of Mars and some group of people currently living in some place, and then bursts of the larger plot and things dramatically shifting with time jumps in between. There are some more insert-culture-here colonists on Mars doing their own thing periods in the book, but I don't recall any that would come off potentially as strange as the starting point. I do think it goes in to a lot of detail over time about all the various motivations for different people to migrate to Mars and how it plays in to whatever current situation is going on.

The books did feel like a marathon, much more so than anything I've read since, but one I really wanted to finish.

I was playing Surviving Mars which made me really want to try reading them again, and the more political side of things appeals to me. Glad it's more a character viewpoint than the authors, I'm just so suspicious in older sci-fi now of any author based opinions sneaking in.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Stealth thread favorite David Mace holds up pretty well politically.

About the only strongly dated part of his writing is that he uses 'negro' and occasionally 'colored' which would definitely not fly today, but I guess those were the terms of the time. He's white, but his books are full of black people, often black women protagonists, to the point where I'd say the casts are split almost 50/50. I'd be curious what a modern black reader thinks of his work; for obvious reasons I don't feel qualified to judge.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Yah; I just recently read Fire Lance and the only thing that felt a bit dated was how he'd describe a character as e.g. "a Chicago black". Not "a black man" but just "a black". Mind you he'd also just say "a white" about a white character so at least there is symmetry.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Also I have to say, out of all the near-future WW3 books from the 80s I've read, it's one of the very best. Those were basically a genre unto themselves back then, and as a precociuos kid I went through a poo poo-ton of them. (Terrified as I was of nuclear war, like anyone with half a brain, I'm glad I didn't read this when it was new.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
I recently read Mammoth by John Varley and starting the first chapter from the pov of a non-major character who’s a racist gently caress about Inuit, even granting this is to characterize him as a non-sympathetic rear end in a top hat, sure was a choice

The rest of the book was ok. Just ok