Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

A large number of premium channels -- Showtime, Starz, Paramount+, Discovery+, etc. -- are on sale for $0.99 for 2 months as part of Amazon Prime Day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Sand Monster posted:

A large number of premium channels -- Showtime, Starz, Paramount+, Discovery+, etc. -- are on sale for $0.99 for 2 months as part of Amazon Prime Day.

Are there any Showtime shows that are actually worth watching right now? In my experience, most fall off dramatically in quality after just a couple of seasons. But it's been several years since I last had Showtime.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I enjoy Billions, but it is for sure a guilty pleasure watch. That said the longer it goes the less pleasure I feel. I did like Black Monday, but only watched first season. Honestly the best thing on Showtime is Desus & Mero.

Also if you haven’t see The Good Lord Bird (Ethan Hawke as John Brown) it is a must watch.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Record of Ragnarok always struck me as one of the most incredibly basic series. I tried pushing through the manga but eh. In terms of the characters, premise, fights, it all genuinely feels like something i could have created (and wouldve adored) at 10 years old. Take that as you will, I'm the minority among goons and most people who seem to loving adore it but it's always been an enormous EHHHH to me.
Of course as an anime it'll possibly be more entertaining just with the battles and poo poo animated, and im sure it'll fit the niche for anyone looking for some fun stupid action...but i mostly found the manga an incredible loving bore with some of the most generic character design/fight choices.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Nihonniboku posted:

Are there any Showtime shows that are actually worth watching right now? In my experience, most fall off dramatically in quality after just a couple of seasons. But it's been several years since I last had Showtime.

it is absoutely worth it for 3 season of Black Monday. probably the funniest recent comedy ever

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Nihonniboku posted:

As the other person mentioned, Billions is very good but the quality is less in the recent season(s). I watched that and Homeland just because I had never finished the latter (and talk about a decline in later seasons, yikes).

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
City on a Hill is good, season 2 is even better than season 1. Kevin Bacon just playing the most insane character, endlessly monologuing in an exaggerated Boston accent, it's great.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Billions is a show that opens on Paul Giamatti getting erotically pissed on and just goes downhill from there

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Record of Ragnarok always struck me as one of the most incredibly basic series. I tried pushing through the manga but eh. In terms of the characters, premise, fights, it all genuinely feels like something i could have created (and wouldve adored) at 10 years old. Take that as you will, I'm the minority among goons and most people who seem to loving adore it but it's always been an enormous EHHHH to me.
Of course as an anime it'll possibly be more entertaining just with the battles and poo poo animated, and im sure it'll fit the niche for anyone looking for some fun stupid action...but i mostly found the manga an incredible loving bore with some of the most generic character design/fight choices.

Not knowing the manga, I actually bounced off of the anime pretty hard and bailed after like one and a half episodes. The main issue I had with it was that it was almost entirely tell, don't show. The various spectators will spend like ten minutes verbally telling you how the combatants are the hottest poo poo in the world and how this fight is going to be the most epic poo poo you've ever seen. Then you get maybe ten seconds of things actually happening presented so obliquely that it may as well have happened offscreen, followed by another ten minutes of spectators losing their minds and telling you about how what just happened was so extremely unexpected and epic and should totally have been impossible. It very much felt like the writers getting high on their own farts and completely obliterated any stakes or pacing.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

Simone Magus posted:

Billions is a show that opens on Paul Giamatti getting erotically pissed on and just goes downhill from there

That sounds like it rules so it makes sense the only way to go would be downhill

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

what are some good giamatti things on streaming right now im in the mood for giamatti yall

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Lodge 49 season 2.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

A MIRACLE posted:

what are some good giamatti things on streaming right now im in the mood for giamatti yall

John Adams is always on HBO Max

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I think American Splendor is also on hbo

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Deadite posted:

John Adams is always on HBO Max

I am a huge Paul Giamatti fan and watch John Adams at least once a year, I remember getting it on disc Netflix back in the Cretaceous. If you haven't seen it, do that. It's the second half of June now, you could even time your viewing so you watch the episode about the Declaration of Independence on the Fourth of July.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Oh sweet that looks good lol

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I am a huge Paul Giamatti fan and watch John Adams at least once a year, I remember getting it on disc Netflix back in the Cretaceous. If you haven't seen it, do that. It's the second half of June now, you could even time your viewing so you watch the episode about the Declaration of Independence on the Fourth of July.

Or the episode where he dies, since he died on the 4th of July too

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

Just watched Love and Mercy, the Brian Wilson biopic, on Hulu, and Giamatti does an absolutely wild villain performance in it. The movie's actually really good, Paul Dano is great as younger Wilson.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Sweet I love The Beach Boys lol

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Deadite posted:

Or the episode where he dies, since he died on the 4th of July too

Spoilers!!

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Did anyone here watch 50 States of Fright? I'm a little interested in it. It looks like some other Quibi stuff is on Roku now, but not that.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Luca on Disney+ was great. I think a lot of reviewers were upset that it didn't make them cry like Toy Story 3 or Inside Out, but the movie was super cute and I laughed out loud numerous times.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Nihonniboku posted:

Luca on Disney+ was great. I think a lot of reviewers were upset that it didn't make them cry like Toy Story 3 or Inside Out, but the movie was super cute and I laughed out loud numerous times.

I kinda found it boring, but I'm also nowhere near the target market. Didn't have spectacular visuals, kind of a weird version of Italy, plot was just OK. It's more of a standard Disney thing.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

pospysyl posted:

Just watched Love and Mercy, the Brian Wilson biopic, on Hulu, and Giamatti does an absolutely wild villain performance in it. The movie's actually really good, Paul Dano is great as younger Wilson.

This is amazing also.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Its crazy they had to downplay the evil poo poo Giamatti's character did otherwise it wouldnt be believable

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Inspector Hound posted:

I can't help it, Chip and Potato is the sweetest Netflix kids show, it's even better than Bluey

My almost two year old loves this.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

10 Beers posted:

My almost two year old loves this.

Everyone is so nice, and Potato is always there for Chip, it's just puggy-tastic

I finished Veep, it's pretty brutal and stays great to the end. I can't imagine it's not at least close to the truth. I will say I wanted to find out what Gary (poor Gary) did vis a vis "Labor Day," per the scene where he breaks down and yells at Selina in season 3 or 4. They implied in the last couple episodes it wasn't something to do the holiday when they reveal it's the name of Andrew's boat, but you never get the payoff for that setup. The best joke in the entire series is when Jonah finds out his parents are second cousins, and he says, "I could have been born with something wrong with me!" No one riffs on this on screen, but you've been hearing cruel jokes about how ugly Jonah is the entire series, so you, the audience member, then reflexively make your own Jonah joke in your head. It's brilliant.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 19, 2021

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

pospysyl posted:

oh word that sounds awesome! i love Brian Wilson. gently caress Mike Love.

edit: if you don't have Hulu, it appears to be free on Peacock!

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Inspector Hound posted:

Everyone is so nice, and Potato is always there for Chip, it's just puggy-tastic

I finished Veep, it's pretty brutal and stays great to the end. I can't imagine it's not at least close to the truth. I will say I wanted to find out what Gary (poor Gary) did vis a vis "Labor Day," per the scene where he breaks down and yells at Selina in season 3 or 4. They implied in the last couple episodes it wasn't something to do the holiday when they reveal it's the name of Andrew's boat, but you never get the payoff for that setup. The best joke in the entire series is when Jonah finds out his parents are second cousins, and he says, "I could have been born with something wrong with me!" No one riffs on this on screen, but you've been hearing cruel jokes about how ugly Jonah is the entire series, so you, the audience member, then reflexively make your own Jonah joke in your head. It's brilliant.

I'll have the entire "a cake, in the shape of a dick" bit go through my jead on a regular basis

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Benagain posted:

I'll have the entire "a cake, in the shape of a dick" bit go through my head on a regular basis

Basically everything Jonah's uncle yells at him will suddenly have me laughing in the grocery store or while I'm talking to someone about something serious

vv I'd only seen that guy in nice dad roles in kids movies and his vicious, screaming laughter will haunt me my entire life vv

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jun 20, 2021

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
That scene where Jonah's uncle enters the scene by just laughing his rear end off about the idea of Jonah being taken seriously

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Amongst things I've watched recently:

* Second season of Love Death Robots is ... fine, but feels like the weaker half of the first season. Too much aping of Bladerunner and Heavy Metal, too many weak payoffs.

* There's a seemingly infinite number of grownup cartoons out there, and Close Enough is yet another with not much of a premise (young parents with kid, crazy neighbours, etc.) but it's entertaining enough without insulting your intelligence or making you speculate about the creators mental issues.

* Trying to find something, anything on Prime, I gave Mozart in the Jungle a look and nothing is being missed there. It's almost as if the intention was to pander to classical music lovers while simultaneously sneering at, a parody of prestige TV.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Love death and robots season 2 wasn't bad, but it was much less memorable than the first season overall. The fact that there was only a few episodes was really disappointing and it really felt like it lost it's edge as a modern day Heavy Metal homage, because people whined about how it was pervy and it's pretty obvious they tried to get rid of that, but tbh that was part of it's appeal. Just felt like some 80's poo poo with modern animation, which was cool imo.

That said, none of the episodes in season 2 were bad. Season 1 had some real stinkers but there was like 30 episodes with some really good ones. Season 2 I don't even remember any of them just weeks later, except the Santa one which was dope.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

The bit of Veep that pops into my head from time to time is when The Jonad Files gets read into the Congressional Record.

"The cloud botherer," surrounded by profanity, cracks me every time

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

nonathlon posted:

* Trying to find something, anything on Prime, I gave Mozart in the Jungle a look and nothing is being missed there. It's almost as if the intention was to pander to classical music lovers while simultaneously sneering at, a parody of prestige TV.

Yeah, I remember trying to watch the first few episodes several years ago, and found it shockingly bad. Even more shocking was when it won a Golden Globe for best tv series.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Boxman posted:

The bit of Veep that pops into my head from time to time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiFoE7LrwtM

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, I remember trying to watch the first few episodes several years ago, and found it shockingly bad. Even more shocking was when it won a Golden Globe for best tv series.

Right, it's got a real am-dram quality to it. Like you're meant to find these characters and their (hum drum) shennanigans interesting, without them bothering to earn it. I thought that fact it had won awards, got to 3? series, and was one of those things always at the top of the Prime menu meant there was something there, at least trashy entertainment. Apparently not.

By contrast, a lot of the glossy Spanish language dramas are trash, know they're trash and revel in it. Much more entertaining.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I just watched one season of Mozart in the Jungle when it first came out and didn't care enough to watch more, but I think it may make sense if you realize it's apparently very loosely based on a memoir, particularly one that might be described as a "tell-all memoir" focusing on more shocking/amusing details, so if you try to take something like that and turn it back into a drama with an actual plot i guess this is what you get.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The daily struggles of the classical musicians just to find gigs and being cutthroat to get as well as hang on to those long term orchestra jobs was interesting. García Bernal was initially fun with all his quirks and visions, but ultimately exhausting, same with McDowell. I found better explanation on what exactly a conductor does in Scott Yoo's PBS show. Hi-Lie! also just became annoying after showing the audience just how hard it is to get one of those spots. Bernadette Peters apparently hasn't aged since 1984 and showed the need to endlessly be groveling for funding. They just sort of ran out of ideas after S1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Love death and robots season 2 wasn't bad, but it was much less memorable than the first season overall. The fact that there was only a few episodes was really disappointing and it really felt like it lost it's edge as a modern day Heavy Metal homage, because people whined about how it was pervy and it's pretty obvious they tried to get rid of that, but tbh that was part of it's appeal. Just felt like some 80's poo poo with modern animation, which was cool imo.

Unmemorable is a good summary. Like, most episodes could be summed up in a single sentence, or something like that Achewood strip "end of story, no morale". Although I liked that one about the apparently sentient gunship, which is pretty minimal.

Mozart in the Jungle makes more sense as a memoir - like there's all these characters in there that feel like there should be more to them, but it doesn't show.