Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Rabbi Tupac posted:

This has been my request pick for awhile now. It's just a strange movie and I think the boys would have some fun with it.

This is a good one. Prophecy cracks me up at how somber and seriously it takes itself when it;s totally goofy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I'd put Prophecy in 'strong recommend' cause of Walken and his delivery of lines like the finger on the lip. It's garbage dialogue and not at all profound or menacing but for it coming from Walken.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Yeah The Prophecy is not a good movie, but it’s a movie anyone even remotely interested in the idea owes it to themselves to watch at least once.

Between that and Constantine, what is it with great actors dropping into bad spiritual thrillers out of much better movies to play Satan for one scene?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I really enjoy even a bad Chris Walken impression, and I knew pretty quick this is going to be one I end up re-listening to down the line

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Firstborn posted:

I really enjoy even a bad Chris Walken impression, and I knew pretty quick this is going to be one I end up re-listening to down the line

If you enjoy bad Walken impressions, check out the 90s FMV game Ripper, which features Walken doing a performance that I can only describe as an extended bad impression of himself. It’s awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeI-1YSRq_Y

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Eric kicked a hornet's nest on twitter for this tweet
https://twitter.com/ericszyszka/status/1405737230354817026
and now has people reporting him for harassment lol. Must be exhausting making a living doing things on the internet.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I confess I don’t understand people who complain something is “sexless”. Reminds me of a friend I had who claimed he hated all sci-fi except Lexx because it was the only sci-fi show that wasn’t “sexless”. Like, why is that so important to you?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

AceOfFlames posted:

I confess I don’t understand people who complain something is “sexless”. Reminds me of a friend I had who claimed he hated all sci-fi except Lexx because it was the only sci-fi show that wasn’t “sexless”. Like, why is that so important to you?

I agree in most cases, it's a weird argument that normally doesn't need to be made, but Bruce Wayne is supposed to be a playboy* and I guess having a dour super serious bruce wayne makes him a less interesting character when seemingly everything in modern superhero movies has to be dour and gray and overly serious. We knew Bale's Bruce Wayne was DTF and it made the character more fun because he shows up to the party drunk with a couple babes or whatever. At least that's how I interpreted it. Either way it's nothing to take personally yet people seem to anyway.

*I don't read comics and am far from a batman historian but this is the Bruce Wayne character as I understand him to be :shobon:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I think Eric was responding to a Zack Snyder tweet that was made about 2 hours before Eric's, which was itself in response to...well, if you don't know, google the back story of Batman potentially going down on Catwoman on the Harley Quinn show, but you've probably already heard about it. It's been everywhere this week.

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/1405702805948538881

But also Eric seems to like purposefully poking Snyder fans in the eye on Twitter at times. Reporting him for harassment is incredibly stupid, though.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

explosivo posted:

I agree in most cases, it's a weird argument that normally doesn't need to be made, but Bruce Wayne is supposed to be a playboy* and I guess having a dour super serious bruce wayne makes him a less interesting character when seemingly everything in modern superhero movies has to be dour and gray and overly serious. We knew Bale's Bruce Wayne was DTF and it made the character more fun because he shows up to the party drunk with a couple babes or whatever. At least that's how I interpreted it. Either way it's nothing to take personally yet people seem to anyway.

*I don't read comics and am far from a batman historian but this is the Bruce Wayne character as I understand him to be :shobon:

I always thought Bale's playboy image was purely for show, though. Like, he'd show up with ladies at a party, but we never actually saw him sleep with any of them, right? And he wasn't actually drunk. In TDK, we see him dump a glass of champaign out off the balcony. And he abandons the Russian ballerinas on the boat. The only person we actually see him sleep with, I think, is Talia.

I'd say that yeah, Snyder's Batman doesn't have a love interest, which is rare for a superhero movie, but that's partly because he never got a solo Batman movie, so there wasn't really any time to stuff yet another character into it. And really, was Batman and Robin any better because they threw a useless love interest in there, whose character name I can't even remember?

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 18, 2021

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

explosivo posted:

Eric kicked a hornet's nest on twitter for this tweet
https://twitter.com/ericszyszka/status/1405737230354817026
and now has people reporting him for harassment lol. Must be exhausting making a living doing things on the internet.

I mean clearly he's trolling, but in BvS there's the scene where Bruce wakes up and he's clearly in bed with a naked girl.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I mean clearly he's trolling, but in BvS there's the scene where Bruce wakes up and he's clearly in bed with a naked girl.

It came up.

https://twitter.com/ericszyszka/status/1405873717079650305

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ah internet never change :heart:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

lol, i appreciate that he follows it up with a "i sleep in a big bed with my wife" burn

https://twitter.com/ericszyszka/status/1405876244789477376

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Haha fuckin Eric, you’re a goon you should know better.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

The motor boating bit started by Eric on the latest AD is why he’s my favorite

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
No sympathy when you start poking that bear knowing full well what happens and then acting oh so shocked when it happens. It's starting to make the boys look a little bitter. Though not for nothing but the Nolan batman movies are even more sexless - even by today's standards - so it's pointless arguing over to begin with.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

ohrwurm posted:

The motor boating bit started by Eric on the latest AD is why he’s my favorite

I was shocked when the guy did in fact make the Boss Nass noise

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

As a still avid comic reader Batman/Bruce is rarely loving. Dude only gets his rocks off with the like Catwoman/Talia and in Paul Dini's mind, he's banging Batgirl. He's a playboy for the image only and is much more likely a coomer than anything else. Batman is the epitome of sexless, but the boys for whatever reason see superheroes being sexless as a negative which I dont think is a bad thing. Our entire culture is steeped in sex. People are shown the opportunities you're afforded by selling sex as a consumable item. Sometimes a respite from this constant barrage of dongs and boobs is nice and I dont really need Tony Stark or Superman to be constantly banging in the movies. Go watch like I dunno, The Watchmen? Deadpool? Super? (tho that's a rape scene and not a sex scene). There's been super hero sex stuff for as long as there's been what they would consider sexless Marvel movies.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

dorium posted:

As a still avid comic reader Batman/Bruce is rarely loving. Dude only gets his rocks off with the like Catwoman/Talia and in Paul Dini's mind, he's banging Batgirl. He's a playboy for the image only and is much more likely a coomer than anything else. Batman is the epitome of sexless, but the boys for whatever reason see superheroes being sexless as a negative which I dont think is a bad thing. Our entire culture is steeped in sex. People are shown the opportunities you're afforded by selling sex as a consumable item. Sometimes a respite from this constant barrage of dongs and boobs is nice and I dont really need Tony Stark or Superman to be constantly banging in the movies. Go watch like I dunno, The Watchmen? Deadpool? Super? (tho that's a rape scene and not a sex scene). There's been super hero sex stuff for as long as there's been what they would consider sexless Marvel movies.

I thought that was Bruce Timm who was involved in The Killing Joke movie, not Dini, where they had sex. Or did Dini also do that in some comic?

In my head, Timm is the weirder of the two, but I may have some gaps in my knowledge there.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
before I deleted my instagram I'd always get suggestions for things like "DC Facts Gram" and it'd these images with text like:

- FLASH ran so fast he can outrun aging
- Batman once outsmarted the smartest world computer
- Superman can catch light particles and compress them into energy and form his own neutron stars

I would angrily yell out loud THESE AREN'T FACTS THESE ARE ALL MADE UP THE CHARACTERS ARE ALL FAKE NONE OF THIS IS REAL PLEASE STOP

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

- Batman once outsmarted the smartest world computer

I mean, at one point he literally became the God of Knowledge:

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 18, 2021

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

thrawn527 posted:

I thought that was Bruce Timm who was involved in The Killing Joke movie, not Dini, where they had sex. Or did Dini also do that in some comic?

In my head, Timm is the weirder of the two, but I may have some gaps in my knowledge there.

Maybe it was. I know there was like a sprinkle of it during TAS and allusions to it in Beyond and the comic followup to Beyond. That one was always weird.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

dorium posted:

Maybe it was. I know there was like a sprinkle of it during TAS and allusions to it in Beyond and the comic followup to Beyond. That one was always weird.

Beyond Bruce Wayne is an absolutely stunning failure of a human being which was at least partially intentional but also got uncomfortable when you have Barbara sitting down as an old woman talking to Terry about some real gory details about how she hosed Bruce and it blew up both of their relationships with Dick.

That and actually no-poo poo making Terry into Bruce's biological son during Epilogue were the worst parts of Beyond.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

Dini is much healthier with his weird sexual hang ups. He just went out and married Zatanna.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

AceOfFlames posted:

I mean, at one point he literally became the God of Knowledge:

No he didn't. He's not a real person. Some author wrote a made up story about it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/ericszyszka/status/1405998015584903170?s=20

loooooool

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Here lies Eric, he never scored.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

DrVenkman posted:

No sympathy when you start poking that bear knowing full well what happens and then acting oh so shocked when it happens. It's starting to make the boys look a little bitter. Though not for nothing but the Nolan batman movies are even more sexless - even by today's standards - so it's pointless arguing over to begin with.

Lol wtf is this stupid poo poo

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Cabin is now history's 11th most contrarian film critic

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Anyone who made it through Sucker Punch is allowed to make fun of Zack Snyder as much as they want

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Eric is right on tho.

Snyder should go back to his Ayn Rand movie in development hell.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Eric did nothing wrong

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Only worse person that could have tweeted "Canon" with a picture of batman going down on catwoman would be Joss Whedon.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

Only worse person that could have tweeted "Canon" with a picture of batman going down on catwoman would be Joss Whedon.

Whedon would have just a picture of Catwoman’s feet while emotionally berating her

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Guys, why am I misremembering an episode on The Dead Zone?

... Or did Stephen just say "THE ICE . . . IS GONNA BREAK ." in an episode?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Firstborn posted:

Pretty sure there is no episode on The Dead Zone

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Firstborn posted:

Yeah he has said that at least once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Reminder before the Gleep Glossary comes out this week, Ken has been covered on the forums before, though you'll need archives to access the thread. He's in 5 of the first 6 books covered in that thread, starting with The Lost City of the Jedi. And may I bid a "Dark Greetings" to you all.

This is Ken, crying.

Those books, and that thread, were loving nuts.