Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

adding all the transactions to a database without number guessing is a great solution though as long as it doesn't touch any cryptocurrency
the company i work for does this like 10k times a minute. it does not consume energy equivalent to a Western European country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

kw0134 posted:

remember none of this is necessary if you grant even a single iota of trust to a party who can decide what is or is not a valid transaction to record. this is necessary because you're assuming everyone's potentially a bad actor and only by making it expensive and highly distributed that when "enough" people say something is a thing, that becomes the truth.

also, while any ONE person may be a bad actor, most people aren't, or at least most holders of capital aren't, so the hashrate democracy is fair and trusty even if the 18/f/cali you're buying a barrel of raw milk from may be a fraudster

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

sure, that's the basic idea, but if you give trust to someone, you don't need to poll the entirety of the western seaboard, using dedicated machinery chewing enough energy to fill lake mead to give that starbucks on main street the $6.45 that would have been charged to the coffeechain when someone brought a latte.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Muscle Tracer posted:

is "bitcoin cash" somehow different from "bitcoin"?

I'm Bitcoin cash, the one that you asked for
I'm wanted by the rich and the poor
More and more, you just can't reject it
You're the junkie and I inject it
Into your blood stream, it's like a bad dream
Money's the theme, do you know what I mean?

lol drat looking at the old video you could re-record this with a bunch of doughy white boys, the lyrics only slightly altered and all the dollar $igns in the VFX changed to ₿

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o0rAvZtM7w

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

kw0134 posted:

remember none of this is necessary if you grant even a single iota of trust to a party who can decide what is or is not a valid transaction to record. this is necessary because you're assuming everyone's potentially a bad actor and only by making it expensive and highly distributed that when "enough" people say something is a thing, that becomes the truth.
have you seen the people who want to use bitcoin? the whole premise is like spelling mistakes in phishing emails, of course they are bad actors, they're using bitcoin

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

now we're getting to the sociological problem of why anyone would want to build an economy where everyone's a bad actor and you can't trust any other participant as far as you can throw them, when you should be rounding them up and putting them on a one way rocket to the sun

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
also in this world entirely populated by bad actors all transactions should be irreversible, because as you know most scams are from credit card chargebacks

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Boxturret posted:

because as you know most scams are from credit card chargebacks

that was always the most hilarious statement, i have no idea where it originated but bitcoiners have held it up as some kind of universal truth for as long as i can remember

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

kw0134 posted:

now we're getting to the sociological problem of why anyone would want to build an economy where everyone's a bad actor and you can't trust any other participant as far as you can throw them, when you should be rounding them up and putting them on a one way rocket to the sun

they're just taking the slow way around and heating the earth until it's a low-rent knockoff sun

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Isnt “no chargebacks” the first ferengi rule of acquisition?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

infernal machines posted:

that was always the most hilarious statement, i have no idea where it originated but bitcoiners have held it up as some kind of universal truth for as long as i can remember

i think it comes from bitcoiners all being the sort of people who do fraudulent chargebacks

philihp
Jun 1, 2008

kw0134 posted:

why do you have a lock on your front door? shouldn't we have put all of the thieves in jail by now?

Trust is a concession we make in society, but it shouldn't be a necessity. I trust that nobody with a firearm is going to threaten me with it, but I would prefer that nobody have firearms. I trust that Russia and Israel and France aren't going to use nuclear weapons, but I would prefer nobody have nuclear weapons. If I hand you my wallet, I would trust that you would not steal the money in it, however I would prefer to keep it in my own pocket.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

so instead of trusting someone specific, i just trust whoever happens to have access to the least expensive electricity at the time

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008

cool av posted:

so instead of trusting someone specific, i just trust whoever happens to have access to the least expensive electricity at the time

aka state sponsored actors in countries like china which you have all reason in the world to trust as their track record repeatedly shows

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

epitaph posted:

aka state sponsored actors in countries like china which you have all reason in the world to trust as their track record repeatedly shows

?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

philihp posted:

why do you have a lock on your front door? shouldn't we have put all of the thieves in jail by now?

Trust is a concession we make in society, but it shouldn't be a necessity. I trust that nobody with a firearm is going to threaten me with it, but I would prefer that nobody have firearms. I trust that Russia and Israel and France aren't going to use nuclear weapons, but I would prefer nobody have nuclear weapons. If I hand you my wallet, I would trust that you would not steal the money in it, however I would prefer to keep it in my own pocket.

trust is a necessity if you live in a society

by putting a lock on your front door you still trust the maker of the lock not to have sold you some crap, you trust the maker of the door, the maker of the lock trust their suppliers etc etc.

this trust problem only goes away if you go really far away from everyone else and roll your own basic life tools from first principles

luckily for regular people in a reasonably advanced society there is no need to worry about trust every day as we have a bunch of laws that more or less work and people are used to it

i guess in a way crypto is a very ecologically expensive experiment in showing how far you get if your core principle is "i trust nobody". and this is just for making what is essentially a bank transfer. what if you could only open 7 locks per second in the physical world?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Where are all these banks that seize assets of innocent people? If you live in an authoritarian hell hole where the government or the bank itself can do so arbitrarily, then your bits coined aren't any safer than a chequing account.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

philihp posted:

Trust is a concession because it is a necessity to have a society. All social interactions are a balancing of wariness versus trust, but at some point you're going to have to take it on faith that there's someone who isn't out to shank you, because the alternative is that you won't be able to sleep due to paranoia. And society is built on webs of trust...with the threat of retribution. I walk down a street and trust cars will not randomly jump the curb and hit me like it's a GTA game. I buy food and trust that it's not filled with botulism. I trust that the item I buy off the internet gets delivered, and that it's the item that was advertised and it runs as it expected. I trust my employer deposited the money into my account so that I can pay for said item. If this trust is broken, I have means of recourse. I can sue, or the perpetrator is locked up for life, or put a chargeback and am not actually out of pocket. But these also require trust. It's layers of trust all the way down.

Bitcoiners have built an economy where no one is trusted. That raises the basic question of how you can have a society, period. We can argue how much we can trust the damage a single malefactor can wreak on others (e.g., gun control) versus the restrictions we place to prevent such a thing, but all that is at least premised on the notion that most people will not pick up a gun and immediately start a shoot out. Bitcoiners essentially don't believe even in that.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

:hmmyes: we do live in a society

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's always fascinating when people who've posted four times in a decade suddenly have opinions on bitcoin because you can never really be sure if their account got popped and sold to seraph or if they're really just weirdly passionate about the nature of trust

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

it's always fascinating when people who've posted four times in a decade suddenly have opinions on bitcoin because you can never really be sure if their account got popped and sold to seraph or if they're really just weirdly passionate about the nature of trust

wow nice doxxing, MODS?@!?!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

truly a paradox

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
the idea that bitcoin is trustless is predicated on accepting the palpable falsehood that people use bitcoin by using bitcoin. which they never do. people use bitcoin by using exchanges and so on. so they're not interacting with the ~*pure trustless economy*~ or whatever. they're interacting with whatever example of babby's first lamp stack their completely opaque, unregulated exchange threw together to handle all the money and butts. i don't know what the current numbers are, but historically ever since bitcoin started trading for more than a fraction of a cent the proportion of "bitcoin transactions" that are actually on the blockchain has usually been less than one percent. usually less than a tenth of a percent. and this goes down the more usage goes up, out of pure unavoidable technical necessity

and, you know, this should be true from analysis. because of all of the times some meaningful fraction of the total number of bitcoins in existence turn out not to be in the accounts of some exchange or their customers but instead in alexander vinnik's wallet or whatever

"trustless" in bitcoin means trusting some random pseudonym on the internet and having no recourse if/when you're wrong, versus trusting e.g. visa not to suddenly shut down without warning and being protected by 12 cfr 1026.13 in the event of a fraudulent transaction

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

buttcoiners prove themselves hypocrites and liars of the first degree when they go happily tout the fact there's no authority that controls them, then ship all their documentation to an exchange that has everything necessary to create a paper duplicate of the sucker.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i love how all these shady bitcoin things need so much more personal information than normal services

remember, some bitcoin atms need hand scans and pictures of your face and scans of your passport

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
stay alert. trust no-one. keep your papers handy

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

kw0134 posted:

buttcoiners prove themselves hypocrites and liars of the first degree when they go happily tout the fact there's no authority that controls them, then ship all their documentation to an exchange that has everything necessary to create a paper duplicate of the sucker.

how is your rap sheet completely blank after 18 years?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

FrozenVent posted:

how is your rap sheet completely blank after 18 years?

please stop doxxing itt, you're going to get everyone banned:cry:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Boxturret posted:

please stop doxxing itt, you're going to get everyone banned:cry:
banned for doxxing myself would certainly be a way to pop the rap sheet cherry

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Zlodo posted:

here is everything you possibly need to know about bcash
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCOjCEth6xI

imagine screaming at a laptop alone in a hotel room about this poo poo lmao

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

:trumppop:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Goddamn do I miss Emo. Too bad he’s in Hell now (my franchise is different).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DerekSmartymans posted:

Goddamn do I miss Emo. Too bad he’s in Hell now (my franchise is different).

what? no, he's still around.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

If I ever start posting like that it was foul play.

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

blugu64 posted:

If I ever start posting like that it was foul play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeVgcIFEh3I

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

wb tom

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Midjack posted:

what? no, he's still around.

Is he still working? He was older than he looks back when I was a youngster in the late 80s.

I thought he died, and am now going to scour YouTube for newer material!

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

never truly gone

i'm actually selling NFT lottery tickets now, my new startup is focused around providing customer-first experiences

we're looking for an experienced dev to help make a scratch-and-win ticket scratching simulator in WebGL via Rust compiled to WASM if you're interested in working on the hottest new poo poo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

incredible. truly pioneering new frontiers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

we're debating whether to offer the whole gamut of skin colour options for your virtual hand, just let people pick any color, or skip all that work and just make the hand shiny chrome. i figure the subsurface light scattering poo poo is critical for the visceral realism people crave when they waste $5 on nothing but maybe 90s environment maps are good enough?