Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alan Smithee posted:

Qualifying with blackness is broke and bone throwing

Woke: casting a black man as Dracula to tap into the culture wars

Dracula was supposed to be an ancient Sumerian dude in Blade: Trinity but they cast a super white British actor anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
i mean can you think of a more vampirical people than the British?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

This movie fuckin' rules if anyone here hasn't seen it. Strong soundtrack, very well shot, impressive direction and acting considering how every single performer has to be kind of facing the screen a little bit to deliver sign language. And the story being about him being conflicted between realizing who he is vs. his devout faith in Catholicism is done pretty well too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Jefferson Twilight needs more work

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Dracula was supposed to be an ancient Sumerian dude in Blade: Trinity but they cast a super white British actor anyway

He's Australian actually. You might be thinking of the british guy in that movie, Wesley Snipes.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Ganja & Hess is a really good Black vampire movie. I didn't realize until right now that Spike Lee remade it, didn't think his Oldboy remake was that good but still interested in seeing it now.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Spike's Da Sweet Blood of Jesus is odd. Its well made and acted and all but its a very faithful remake that actually kind of just reconstructs the story. Bill Gunn purposely scattered his narrative, removed exposition scenes, and used random scenes of adlibbed dialogue. He probably did that because he was angry at the studio and what they wanted the film to be but it creates the very dreamlike, abstract, confusing film that Ganja & Hess is. There's a ton of deleted scenes that actually fill a ton of story holes. Spike basically inserts all those back into the story and makes the same movie but in a straight linear way. In some ways I think that makes Spike's film worse because the straight story can be less interesting than the abstract one, but I also think in some ways Spike's version gives a better look at the mindset and relationship between Ganja and Hess.

Its an interesting watch if your really like Ganja & Hess, especially if you have some questions about the story or its characters. Spike gives you a version of the film that might have existed without all the production problems and warring between Gunn and the Studio or if Gunn hadn't decided to just get weird. And that's kinda interesting, but its also kind of less interesting than the original. But an interesting accompaniment to the original. I dunno.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Who wants bootleg Jurassic world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG1bxSSxtUo

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

What's the plot of this one? Terrorists are now using dinosaurs instead of suicide bombers?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’m almost certainly not bothering with it, but the cinematography does seem like it’s an improvement over JW.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

That clone girl is responsible for all the dead people and the film is gonna skip over that.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Having dinosaurs be any kind of threat outside of a “theme park disaster” kind of thing breaks my immersion for these movies about cloned prehistoric animals. We drove all the mega fauna extinct with stone tipped spears, and you’re telling me every one of these dinosaurs won’t get shot by a predator drone within the week?

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Azubah posted:

That clone girl is responsible for all the dead people and the film is gonna skip over that.

I saw Fallen Kingdom for the first time last week, after marathoning the series. The absolute indifference from Star-Lord and Heels Lady after Clone Kid let dinosaurs loose on the world was amazing.

The Battle at Big Rock short was better scripted and better acted than any of the movies except the original JP.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The JW movies are just so utterly wrongheaded in so many ways.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mostly just remember Star-Lord's shiny cowboy gun.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Jurassic Park is my go-to example of how pervasive CGI has come to completely ruin the movie experience.

The special effects from the original have aged very well, the velociraptor scene in the kitchen looks as though it could have been shot yesterday.

Exhibit A-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnRxQ3dcaQk

The lighting, the presence, it feels real and the tension is real because these animals are rendered convincingly.

Exhibit B-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q97r7TbmUTU

If anything, the technical expertise between these two shots has noticeably regressed in time. Where are the innovations that 22 years should have afforded?

The Jurassic World raptors look like cartoons. it's hard to feel threatened over a vacuous nothing that's obviously added in post. Art and technology are both iterative processes, seeing progress being made before your eyes is gratifying and a big part of the cinema draw.

The thought that there are people walking around who hold the belief that the original Jurassic Park is equal to the crap they're selling now just steams my hams.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

People are rightfully getting sick of Pratt. He might not have much star power soon. Maybe he’ll hold out a bit longer if GOTG 3 does really well, which it probably will.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

People are rightfully getting sick of Pratt. He might not have much star power soon. Maybe he’ll hold out a bit longer if GOTG 3 does really well, which it probably will.

It’s quite telling that the Star-Lord in the just announced GotG video game looks as far from Pratt as you can get. Sure, it’s likely more due to rights issues but Rocket, Groot, Gamora and Drax’s designs are still clearly inspired from but distinct from their movie counterparts while Peter Quill’s clearly isn’t apart from his mask.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 21, 2021

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

The thought that there are people walking around who hold the belief that the original Jurassic Park is equal to the crap they're selling now just steams my hams.

Are there a lot of people saying this? I don't feel like I've ever seen anyone hold Jurassic World up on a pedestal the way that people try to say Last Jedi is the best Star Wars or whatever. I feel like there's not even a lot of sustained discussion period about the new movies, even with the Netflix cartoon tie-in.

If anything I feel like Treverrow himself is still discussed more for The Book of Henry and for his unproduced Star Wars script.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

galagazombie posted:

Having dinosaurs be any kind of threat outside of a “theme park disaster” kind of thing breaks my immersion for these movies about cloned prehistoric animals. We drove all the mega fauna extinct with stone tipped spears, and you’re telling me every one of these dinosaurs won’t get shot by a predator drone within the week?

Let's not mention that, after the island blows up, the population of dinosaurs has practically fallen into unsustainable levels.

Also, I love how the Jurassic World movies have been dancing around the whole dino-human hybrid concept that has been around for a long time post-JP2 with all their genetic-engineered bioweapons, which are probably the least cost-efficient military program given how easily the things would get picked off and how hard they would be to maintain compared to a tank or a drone. Like the only military function that would be an improvement over an existing weapon WOULD BE dino-human supersoldiers, but Henry Wu just can't conceive the idea despite apparently being able to grow a whole-rear end human clone.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 21, 2021

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Jurassic Park is my go-to example of how pervasive CGI has come to completely ruin the movie experience.

The special effects from the original have aged very well, the velociraptor scene in the kitchen looks as though it could have been shot yesterday.

Exhibit A-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnRxQ3dcaQk

The lighting, the presence, it feels real and the tension is real because these animals are rendered convincingly.

Exhibit B-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q97r7TbmUTU

If anything, the technical expertise between these two shots has noticeably regressed in time. Where are the innovations that 22 years should have afforded?

The Jurassic World raptors look like cartoons. it's hard to feel threatened over a vacuous nothing that's obviously added in post. Art and technology are both iterative processes, seeing progress being made before your eyes is gratifying and a big part of the cinema draw.

The difference here isn’t really in the quality of the CGI, it’s in the quality of the direction.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Vegetable posted:

The premise of this movie reads like a writer's room joke.

That has basically been Cage's career for a long time now.

well why not posted:

Cast him as evil Orlando Bloom in a Pirates movie.

I'm pretty sure that Jackson had to put name tags on them to keep them apart while filming the Hobbit films.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Everyone shut the gently caress up and read this sentence:

I didn't know that good things were still possible in this world, but Walter Hill is directing a Willem Dafoe/Christoph Waltz western.

e: we do not mention the last decade or so of his career

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 21, 2021

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The difference here isn’t really in the quality of the CGI, it’s in the quality of the direction.

There are a couple of things going on. The Jurassic World 'raptors are "overacting" - not sitting still for even a second. There's a ton of extraneous movement. The editing is all hyper to match, as if they're trying to prevent you from getting a good understanding of how the characters are interacting.

The other difference is that half the dinosaur shots in the JP scene were done with animatronics, while Jurassic World is 100% CG even where it didn't strictly need to be. Some animatronics were used during filming, possibly including that scene, but were ultimately painted out.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

Are there a lot of people saying this? I don't feel like I've ever seen anyone hold Jurassic World up on a pedestal the way that people try to say Last Jedi is the best Star Wars or whatever.

I agree with this. Even Jurassic World (through Jake Johnson) basically holds up Jurassic Park as the best thing ever and complains about studio execs making them add in all this other poo poo.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Making a lovely studio movie then putting in a character that says "I hate lovely studio movies!" does not negate the fact that you made a lovely studio movie. So it just makes me more mad that Colin included that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

They're not even really similar scenes though. Like saying nothing for the overall quality of Jurassic World you've got one scene that's meant to be a last act scary hunting scene and one that's a first act scene about them being trained. So naturally the latter is gonna be less threatening.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Time Cowboy posted:

I saw Fallen Kingdom for the first time last week, after marathoning the series. The absolute indifference from Star-Lord and Heels Lady after Clone Kid let dinosaurs loose on the world was amazing.

The Battle at Big Rock short was better scripted and better acted than any of the movies except the original JP.

colin trevorrow wrote Rise and that time machine movie, should tell you everything you need to know about what he considers emotional truth

I didn't watch Book of Henry yet so I'm not gonna name drop that

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

STAC Goat posted:

They're not even really similar scenes though. Like saying nothing for the overall quality of Jurassic World you've got one scene that's meant to be a last act scary hunting scene and one that's a first act scene about them being trained. So naturally the latter is gonna be less threatening.

It's not about the specific content of the scenes, but the shot choices, variety of camera setups, etc.

Here's a roughly-equivalent scene of James Franco feeding a chimp in the Planet Of The Apes prequel:

https://youtu.be/EF74CqJA8r0?t=3

There's a lot more going on with, like, half the runtime there.

The Jurassic World scene keeps cutting back to the same medium shots and close-ups over and over again, while Pratt effectively just narrates what the animals are doing. The entire point of the scene, which is the communication with the animals, is actually not very well-conveyed because the dialogue and music are doing all the heavy lifting.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 21, 2021

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It essentially boils down to Spielberg knows what he’s doing and everyone else is too “ooooo, dinosaurs!” to remember the basics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKALxKbjOaE

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

Making a lovely studio movie then putting in a character that says "I hate lovely studio movies!" does not negate the fact that you made a lovely studio movie. So it just makes me more mad that Colin included that.

This. Even worse, the same character also complains about the I.Rex being potentially sponsored by Verizon and sarcastically wonders why they don't just name all the dinosaurs after corporations... In a movie with quite possibly some of the most obnoxious product placement I have ever seen, right down to the climax of the film taking place in the park's shopping district (look, I am willing to accept a Starbucks being in the park, that's plausible. But did we have to have freaking Pandora's Jewelry and Margaritaville complete with Jimmy Buffett cameo too?) And Trevorrow had the gall to say that all that product place was intentional to show how commercial the park became, maaaaaan.

God, JW loving sucked.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The biggest sin of Jurassic World is taking something people had been asking for since 1993 (dinosaurs being let loose in a fully operational park) and making it so incredibly goddamn boring.

Like how did they gently caress up the scene with those transparent sphere vehicles? Could you imagine how that would have looked had Spielberg given it a shot?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

I didn't watch Book of Henry yet so I'm not gonna name drop that

Everyone should watch Book of Henry or at least read a Wikipedia synopsis. It's a movie with a premise so insane it must be spread.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Thwomp posted:

It essentially boils down to Spielberg knows what he’s doing and everyone else is too “ooooo, dinosaurs!” to remember the basics.

Well, Colin Trevorrow is more like "dinosaurs? yawn."

Not just in the "kids are bored by dinosaurs now" misguided attempt at a theme. The man seems to have no reverence whatsoever for the animals themselves. The first three films had enough respect for them to treat them as actual animals worthy of awe and wonder. Trevorrow made them into cartoon movie monsters.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Not just in the "kids are bored by dinosaurs now" misguided attempt at a theme. The man seems to have no reverence whatsoever for the animals themselves. The first three films had enough respect for them to treat them as actual animals worthy of awe and wonder. Trevorrow made them into cartoon movie monsters.

The lack of humility before nature here, uh, uh, st-staggers me.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The biggest sin of Jurassic World is taking something people had been asking for since 1993 (dinosaurs being let loose in a fully operational park) and making it so incredibly goddamn boring.

Like how did they gently caress up the scene with those transparent sphere vehicles? Could you imagine how that would have looked had Spielberg given it a shot?

The thing I hate the most is how the films continue to ignore how Bryce Dallas Howard is basically responsible for all of the horrible things that happen during them.

She should be in prison, but instead she will probably still be treated like a hero in the newest movie.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I'm starting to come around on the Chris Pratt hate.

The dude has some serious comedy chops and was great in Parks and Rec, but these leading action man roles he's been taking on recently are just duds.

He's no Sam Worthington, he boy can legit act but it's weird seeing trajectories suddenly take an up-hill direction and become hell-bent on fitting a square peg in a round hole.

I miss the pudgy dude who could crack me up with just a look.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

There are a couple of things going on. The Jurassic World 'raptors are "overacting" - not sitting still for even a second. There's a ton of extraneous movement.
"Hey, we can make our CG characters do anything!"
[They make their CG characters do everything]

Not a problem limited to JW, unfortunately.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

But let’s be fair, even Spielberg went a little “oooo, dinosaurs!” in The Lost World.

JP3, as far as I’m concerned, was far more on the JW side of “yeah, whatever, make it leap or swim or claw. Just throw a bunch in the frame.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

GCI is a grift where the studios pay way less than they should and then half of that money gets gobbled up by middle men.