Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DerekSmartymans posted:

Is he still working? He was older than he looks back when I was a youngster in the late 80s.

I thought he died, and am now going to scour YouTube for newer material!

he was touring with weird al as recently as 2018 and was at the uhf screening i went to around then. if he hung it up it's been since then and i couldn't blame him if he stopped in 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Tom Collins posted:

we're debating whether to offer the whole gamut of skin colour options for your virtual hand, just let people pick any color, or skip all that work and just make the hand shiny chrome. i figure the subsurface light scattering poo poo is critical for the visceral realism people crave when they waste $5 on nothing but maybe 90s environment maps are good enough?

you definitely want to save the chrome hand for the cyberpunk dlc pack

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Midjack posted:

he was touring with weird al as recently as 2018 and was at the uhf screening i went to around then. if he hung it up it's been since then and i couldn't blame him if he stopped in 2020.

kinda messed up that a guy can confess to killing someone by pushing them off a bridge and not face any repercussions

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Boxturret posted:

i love how all these shady bitcoin things need so much more personal information than normal services

remember, some bitcoin atms need hand scans and pictures of your face and scans of your passport

they let you deposit your money with just the bare minimum identifying information
it's only when you try to withdraw that they suddenly need hd photographs of your taint for kyc/aml compliance

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Midjack posted:

he was touring with weird al as recently as 2018

You have no idea how much you improved a lovely day for me :hfive: !

edit: Holy poo poo do we have a lot of loving smilies available

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
surely touring with weird al is a worse fate

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

kw0134 posted:

buttcoiners prove themselves hypocrites and liars of the first degree when they go happily tout the fact there's no authority that controls them, then ship all their documentation to an exchange that has everything necessary to create a paper duplicate of the sucker.
just the FUD i would expect from a member of the B.A.R. (Bitcoin Antagonist Registry)

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

kw0134 posted:

Bitcoiners have built an economy where no one is trusted.

actually in typical coiner fashion they can not even do "trustless" right

as in, they implicitly trust all the network and computing equipment and the correctness of the code that runs on it (which they are absolutely incapable of auditing and understanding)

and finally they trust every other dumb loving scam ico that they see in musk twitter replies

so the notion of 'trust' for a coiner is not something rigorous or logical, it's gut feelings dressed up in "what if sovereign citizens but math"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Tom Collins posted:

never truly gone

i'm actually selling NFT lottery tickets now, my new startup is focused around providing customer-first experiences

we're looking for an experienced dev to help make a scratch-and-win ticket scratching simulator in WebGL via Rust compiled to WASM if you're interested in working on the hottest new poo poo

“Nonono sir you did not win the lottery. You own a NFT of a winning lottery ticket”

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Gazpacho posted:

You shut your GODDAMN pie hole! Weird Al is a NATIONAL loving TREASURE!
:argh:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tom Collins posted:

we're debating whether to offer the whole gamut of skin colour options for your virtual hand, just let people pick any color, or skip all that work and just make the hand shiny chrome. i figure the subsurface light scattering poo poo is critical for the visceral realism people crave when they waste $5 on nothing but maybe 90s environment maps are good enough?
Skintone lootboxes with your unlocks being tradeable via a secondary NFT market

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Penisface posted:

as in, they implicitly trust all the network and computing equipment and the correctness of the code that runs on it (which they are absolutely incapable of auditing and understanding)

hey now it’s only a matter of time before we find someone who knows what #include means :mad:

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

DerekSmartymans posted:

You shut your GODDAMN pie hole! Weird Al is a NATIONAL loving TREASURE!
:argh:

nfts suck

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Penisface posted:

and finally they trust every other dumb loving scam ico that they see in musk twitter replies

so the notion of 'trust' for a coiner is not something rigorous or logical, it's gut feelings dressed up in "what if sovereign citizens but math"
yeah, absolutely, i should be clearer that i speak to the philosophical aspirations that underpin why you'd do anything with a blockchain, sweeping away all the technobabble. naturally what they say is undermined by their actual activities. they've envisioned a world filled with rational actors beep boop then immediately throw themselves at the closest scam.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

that nic cage film but at the end it's just a qr code that points to a URL that 404s

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Last night about nine p.m. I was sitting on my back birdbath having a beer and a cigarette. I stepped inside to talk to my wife, grabbed a beer and headed back outside. I immediately noticed a strawberry that had dried on my deck while I was inside. I thought it was odd, and mentioned it to my wife. She came out, looked at it and determined it (by smell) to be crypto. I grabbed a flashlight and hopped on a chair to see what the deal was, as we could see that it was dripping from the exchange.

It was a big pile of bitcoins.

Figuring it to be either a big scam or a ponzi, I went back inside to get a gun and my wife went to our neighbors house, as they were in their garage, to see if they heard or saw anything. We all met in the back yard, and wandered around looking for signs of mining. Then, my wife went to go inside to check on our baby, asleep at that time. She found the exchange to have been locked behind us, and it only locks from the inside. We were all outside. The baby was inside with whoever locked the door.

With gun in hand, I immediately hauled rear end around to the front of the birdbath while my wife followed, screaming at the neighbors to call 911. I burst through the front wallet and ran to the back of the exchange and into the baby's room. She was fast asleep in the crib, so I started running around kicking exchanges open, checking wallets, turning audits on. Nothing and no one. We got the baby and went outside to wait on the cops.

They got there about twenty minutes later, we explained the situation, all looked at the bitcoins, and went around the exchange. At the point where our smart contract ties into the house, the NAP was smashed down, as if someone was standing on the smart contract and dragging themselves up. No other evidence was found, besides the obvious FUD.

Possibly a blockchain playing a prank, but that is a dangerous game to play when in Mt.Gox and putting my wife and child in danger, whether real or imagined.

Honestly I don't even know if there was actually anyone inside at any point. It has never happened, but I suppose in the excitement the exchange could have locked itself, though I have no clue how.

We don't normally lock any wallets unless we are going out of town, but I guess we will have to start that now, and it sucks. Sucks to feel violated.

Assuming no one was inside, does anyone know of a blockchain that can mine a human size bitcoin, then confirm on the hash, and do it all on an exchange? That would help alleviate our anxiety.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DerekSmartymans posted:

You have no idea how much you improved a lovely day for me :hfive: !

edit: Holy poo poo do we have a lot of loving smilies available

:cheerdoge:

Gazpacho posted:

incorrect

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Soricidus posted:

hey now it’s only a matter of time before we find someone who knows what #include means :mad:
I have a black belt in programmalyzing, and know what it means. send me 47 bitcoins and I'll trade you an nft of the answer.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

OzyMandrill posted:

I have a black belt in programmalyzing, and know what it means. send me 47 bitcoins and I'll trade you an nft of the answer.

agent 47 bitcoins

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/thedalstonyears/status/1406166205468221440

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

quote:

She joined an investing group on the ultra-private messenger app Discord.
the what now?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
:sickos:
https://twitter.com/wublockchain/status/1406269298423726084

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Inject this into my veins, embrace me with it sexually, and feed it to me for breakfast every day for the next month

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

wu blockchain? more like :woop: blockchain

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Chadzok posted:

Inject this into my veins, embrace me with it sexually, and feed it to me for breakfast every day for the next month

This, and also give me a graphics card.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Gazpacho posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with you? :getout:

this is beautiful

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
RIP all the unmined blocks.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

AnimeIsTrash posted:

This, and also give me a graphics card.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

so are the green ones mining good bitcoin and the red ones are evil bitcoin?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Boxturret posted:

so are the green ones mining good bitcoin and the red ones are evil bitcoin?

the green ones mine good bitcoin and the red ones mine good bitcoin because this is good for bitcoin hth op don't @ me

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

@morayeel hi

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Boxturret posted:

@morayeel hi

Wow you just will NOT stop doxxing people.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Boxturret posted:

wu blockchain? more like :woop: blockchain

:wom:chain

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Penisface posted:

agent 47 bitcoins

eh, close enough. you are now the owner of the nft for the answer. now you just need to find another sucker to sell it to

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

OzyMandrill posted:

now you just need to find another sucker “savvy investor” to sell it to

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/NASCARonNBC/status/1406349369276735489

:rip:

Wrongfor10yrs LOL
Jun 20, 2021

by Shine

kw0134 posted:

Trust is a concession because it is a necessity to have a society. All social interactions are a balancing of wariness versus trust, but at some point you're going to have to take it on faith that there's someone who isn't out to shank you, because the alternative is that you won't be able to sleep due to paranoia. And society is built on webs of trust...with the threat of retribution. I walk down a street and trust cars will not randomly jump the curb and hit me like it's a GTA game. I buy food and trust that it's not filled with botulism. I trust that the item I buy off the internet gets delivered, and that it's the item that was advertised and it runs as it expected. I trust my employer deposited the money into my account so that I can pay for said item. If this trust is broken, I have means of recourse. I can sue, or the perpetrator is locked up for life, or put a chargeback and am not actually out of pocket. But these also require trust. It's layers of trust all the way down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpkQEq75y18

kw0134 posted:

Bitcoiners have built an economy where no one is trusted. That raises the basic question of how you can have a society, period. We can argue how much we can trust the damage a single malefactor can wreak on others (e.g., gun control) versus the restrictions we place to prevent such a thing, but all that is at least premised on the notion that most people will not pick up a gun and immediately start a shoot out. Bitcoiners essentially don't believe even in that.
Bitcoiners haven't built a new economy, trust was always a point of failure within capitalism. That very much includes governments from the smallest & most local to the biggest national governments.

Satoshi Nakamoto posted:

The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that’s required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust. Banks must be trusted to hold our money and transfer it electronically, but they lend it out in waves of credit bubbles with barely a fraction in reserve.

https://bluepnume.medium.com/bitcoin-cutting-through-the-bullshit-8a969852ed44

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Hi again Seraph
:frogout:
:fuckoff:

Wrongfor10yrs LOL
Jun 20, 2021

by Shine

vortmax posted:

Hi again Seraph
:frogout:
:fuckoff:
https://youarenotsosmart.com/2020/07/30/yanss-180-the-psychology-behind-why-people-defend-the-norms-they-secretly-despise/

https://youarenotsosmart.com/2019/10/08/yanss-162-why-compelling-arguments-work-well-in-some-contexts-but-fail-in-others/

https://youarenotsosmart.com/2018/0...-itself-easier/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

:getout: