Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Tanon posted:

Anyone been watching Snow White Notes? Just saw the finale episode and it really felt like half of a two cour for sure. I’ve definitely been enjoying the music in it and I’m glad they brought back the first OP this episode as well. Crazy to think this stacked season is finally coming to a close.
Yeah if I could pick one series this season to get another cour it would definitely be the winner. I don't care if it doesn't have the most gripping narrative inject that shamisen straight into my veins.

Also wow the mom really sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
funi is a fundie corporation, crunchyroll has no morals and got big success in the west off shield hero. makes you think...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fundimation

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Colonel posted:

funi is a fundie corporation, crunchyroll has no morals and got big success in the west off shield hero. makes you think...

Ahh, point :hmmyes:

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.
Funimation posted an early 24hr preview of the first episode of Sonny Boy. I was expecting it to be weird, but it's somehow even weirder and cooler than I thought it'd be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdhj9gq4bbM

roobots fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 19, 2021

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

shield hero was crunchyroll-driven, it just predates the branding, yeah. crunchyroll approached the author and the license holders about an anime. the novels nor the show aren't that popular in japan - for reference i looked up their sales and both do about as well as the misfit in demon king academy, and if you've never heard of misfit in demon king academy, exactly - but the fantranslations of the novel were extremely popular on reddit/4chan in the west, so crunchyroll was looking to capitalize.

Misfit was one of the more popular shows in the west that season, and ranked in the top 3 on japanese streaming. its popularity got it a 24 episode s2 after a single cour s1, which is an extremely rare feat

Shield hero sales for both the blurays and ln were mediocre, but it also ranked in the top 3 of streaming in japan, competing with kaguya and quintuplets, both of which were hits. Also relevant to say is that it was one of the top 5 most watched shows that year in china

kater
Nov 16, 2010

So crunchy roll is responsible for Spider being such a disaster

kater
Nov 16, 2010

They prolly made it bad on purpose so they could be all ‘welp gotta make more shield heros’

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

Shield hero sales for both the blurays and ln were mediocre, but it also ranked in the top 3 of streaming in japan, competing with kaguya and quintuplets, both of which were hits. Also relevant to say is that it was one of the top 5 most watched shows that year in china
tbf, 'it wasnt that popular in japan so america initiated the anime adaptation' can still be true there cause the anime stremaing would only have happened after crunchyroll got it animated.

fair on misfit tho

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

kater posted:

They prolly made it bad on purpose so they could be all ‘welp gotta make more shield heros’

i dont think thats why spider was a production disaster. especially considering shield hero's big tie-in game was like... a lovely rpgmaker game.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

possible, crunchyroll did give the tip. though i would like to note the web novel (instead of the ln) was very popular in japan and that despite all their bragging crunchyroll was only a part of the production committee. also worth noting Junichiro Tamura (kadokawa producer of anime like prism ilya, chaika and haruchika) and Kinema Citrus had been shopping around in the kadokawa catalogue already.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
If I understand it correctly the trajectory was Ronald Reagan deregulating advertising in children's cartoon in the 80s led to Christian parents getting super mad at American cartoons in the 90s leading to Funimation finding a market opportunity to market clean Japanimation to home schooled kids. It's not like those Christian parents were actually going to raise their kids. So once those kids got a taste for anime, they wanted the harder stuff, something more ins anely sexy, and they populated webforums and imageboards like 4chan.

I think this is how we got a population of people with anime avatars posting Trad Christianity on Twitter.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
no that isnt it at all. most of the tradcath twitter guys you see had pretty normally christian parents. if their parents were hardcore tradcath they wouldnt be on twitter to begin with.

people are just contrarian. you see tradcath anime twitter dudes sometiems for the same reason 15 years ago you saw anime avatar atheism guys. its counter to mainstream discourse. there was no funimation 'marketing to homeschooled kids.' there wasnt a volume of trigun that came with a bible.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jun 19, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
harry potter is satanic
heh, peep this, satan? hes GOOD

christianity sucks and its good this medium isnt beholden to it
heh, peep this, christianity? its GOOD

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sindai posted:

Yeah if I could pick one series this season to get another cour it would definitely be the winner. I don't care if it doesn't have the most gripping narrative inject that shamisen straight into my veins.

Also wow the mom really sucks.

If you want more shamisen anime just watch the Nitaboh movie

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I'm still kind of baffled that I'm mildly excited to see the ending of Full Dive.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4Uj7RJprQE

Tanya season 2

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

roobots posted:

Funimation posted an early 24hr preview of the first episode of Sonny Boy. I was expecting it to be weird, but it's somehow even weirder and cooler than I though it'd be.

Well that was a trip and a half. Probably not going to keep up with it, though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's about time.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Tanon posted:

Anyone been watching Snow White Notes? Just saw the finale episode and it really felt like half of a two cour for sure. I’ve definitely been enjoying the music in it and I’m glad they brought back the first OP this episode as well. Crazy to think this stacked season is finally coming to a close.

idk, it's just like there's some flaw with either the source material or constraints of adaptation. in a show just about Setsu this is definitely the midseason low point he works back from in either a back half single-cour or full second cour. but you have this team competition stuff cluttering up the story with some rushed character arcs instead. they either needed the two cours to make that team all feel as relevant/fleshed out as Setsu, or drop it regardless of the cours they got. i mean the finale just confirms the dissolution of the team and that multiple members are now quitting shamisen so it's like...idk did we really need to bother with them? Setsu needed people around him but they just used some of them so weirdly. minor stuff like the ep1 girl's deadbeat boyfriend having more of a presence in the competition arc than her is similarly baffling.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a very striking show but the writing is all kinds of bad.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Set chronologically after the movie, right?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Here's also the tweet confirming it

https://twitter.com/livedoornews/status/1406238431802368001?s=19

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So how was the ending of Vivy guys?

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Waffleman_ posted:

Tanya season 2

alright Kodakawa
that's cool
WHERE THE HELL IS KONOSUBA S3

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded
Yeah about that "fundimation" thing:

https://twitter.com/DavidWald_VA/status/1406114643895017472?s=20

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
drat, you mean a fundy corporation is willing to license gay stuff if they feel like its profitable?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Endorph posted:

drat, you mean a fundy corporation is willing to license gay stuff if they feel like its profitable?

Didn't the fundie part leave? That's part of why Vic is getting he poo poo pushed in career-wise.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

funi is owned by aniplex now, dunno if the fundies are still around but they're not at the top

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rudoku posted:

Didn't the fundie part leave? That's part of why Vic is getting he poo poo pushed in career-wise.

Nah it's because he sued them, he could've just laid low and get his roles back after a few years of silence instead of trying to go scorched earth on everything.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I know Gen Fukunaga has that weird church and at points passed it seemed to have a bigger presence within the greater Funimation apparatus, but has it really been as much of a thing since the Sony buyout?

Maxwell Adams posted:

alright Kodakawa
that's cool
WHERE THE HELL IS KONOSUBA S3

they're waiting to see if literally anything else written by the author is a success before making more, i think

either that or they're gonna make more priconne instead

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 19, 2021

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..

dogsicle posted:

idk, it's just like there's some flaw with either the source material or constraints of adaptation. in a show just about Setsu this is definitely the midseason low point he works back from in either a back half single-cour or full second cour. but you have this team competition stuff cluttering up the story with some rushed character arcs instead. they either needed the two cours to make that team all feel as relevant/fleshed out as Setsu, or drop it regardless of the cours they got. i mean the finale just confirms the dissolution of the team and that multiple members are now quitting shamisen so it's like...idk did we really need to bother with them? Setsu needed people around him but they just used some of them so weirdly. minor stuff like the ep1 girl's deadbeat boyfriend having more of a presence in the competition arc than her is similarly baffling.

I agree that the team element just seems.. strange. Like, in a longer format show, it would make some amount of sense. As far as I’m aware, this is a fairly reasonably long running manga; but setting up for future events with a single cour seems... strange. Setsu’s part in the story was fairly interesting, and the music is great. Both his parents are poo poo, in their own way. I dunno. I enjoyed the show, but I do really feel like it’s missing a lot at this point.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Grouchio posted:

why don't you watch it and find out if you're curious

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Grouchio posted:

I loving loved it.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Tales of Woe posted:

funi is owned by aniplex now, dunno if the fundies are still around but they're not at the top
the christian founder guy is still the board chairman & owns a 5% stake (sony owns the rest) but is probably not particularly involved in the day-to-day stuff and obviously not enough to say NO GAYS

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Willo567 posted:

I have yet to watch Vivy and I usually don't watch promising shows if I knew they'd burn out - Kabaneri for example. Hence my asking.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Willo567 posted:

I think it's fair to ask if a seasonal show maintained form or if it went to poo poo towards the end, to make a judgment call of whether it's worth binging/catching up on.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

was vivy really going to poo poo a bed of 12 solid episodes with its finale though

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oddtaxi was the only one I ended up keeping with due to constraints of lacking time and by jove it has paid off plenty of times, so yes, do provide some end-of-show/season impressions because I want to watch me some anime during my downtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Julias posted:

For about 23 hours you can watch the first episode of Sonny Boy subbed on Funimation's YouTube channel. It's directed by Shingo Natsume (One Punch Man s1, Horimiya, Acca-13, Boogiepop Phantom 2019).

this looks pretty sick. probably heresy to say this, but the character designs and unnatural atmosphere definitely gave me some kon vibes.