Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Xun posted:

I have never bought one of these nendo things before and I thought the Lin one is pretty cute so I checked online to see how much one costs.

:eyepop: people pay HOW much for these tiny plastic chibis????

I'm really lucky. I got the Shou Fu Kan and Rou Fu You nendos for Christmas. The Lin Setsu A nendos are crazy expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Nendos are expensive because they have large custom molds and low run numbers so they need to make up for that to amortize costs. Also their customers are willing to shell out.

Bandai's factory for molding gundam is very well established and they've amortized their capital costs long ago. Also they have their production pipeline down to a science.

Funko Pops are the same, except their stuff is even more interchangable and look like poo poo.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Kei Gai is sexy as heck.

Also that was a really interesting episode. I still have no idea who Time Lord is. I really don't think it's the main demon lord guy that Kei Gai was talking to.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Elephant Ambush posted:

Kei Gai is sexy as heck.

Also that was a really interesting episode. I still have no idea who Time Lord is. I really don't think it's the main demon lord guy that Kei Gai was talking to.

Re: Count, It is a little strange that he seems to know more than he's letting on, but they have the same voice and horns and everything. It's mysterious but the simplest explanation is that he's bored and doing all of this because it amuses him.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
He mentioned going back to the time when their fates intertwined, and the next episode preview featured someone who is most likely Lang's mother. Someone upthread mention Azibaphels hair being the same as Lang's and at the time I thought it was a bad post, but it looks like thet were onto something.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

pray for my aunt posted:

He mentioned going back to the time when their fates intertwined, and the next episode preview featured someone who is most likely Lang's mother. Someone upthread mention Azibaphels hair being the same as Lang's and at the time I thought it was a bad post, but it looks like thet were onto something.

That was me and stuff like that is very common in anime as a hint to the viewer

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
I'll cop to be a dumb-dumb. It just irked me in a weird way at the time, though there were other tells in retrospect.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

There was very little talk on the previous episode. Although I can understand it, in reality... not a lot happened, right until the last minute.

Shang's excursion through time didn't change anything, revealing the guy who did the swords also didn't know how they work means we maintain what was before the status quo. In any case that was a question & answer that really didn't have any relation with the current plotlines.

Lang didn't do anything, except deciding to do exactly that, nothing, and in the end not save blue lady. So he got served a ration of despair. In any case, we learn fro Kgei that changing the past can be disastrous, so it's a good thing he didn't do anything.

Now, about the last scene, with Juan. This is what it seems suspicious to me:

That was so unlike him (in comparison with the rest of the season). No being nervous because the responsibility of the scrolls that he knows is super powerful and super dangerous? Instead he shows himself to be sure of himself? Uhh??!

Then again, if Lin is Juan, well, does he plan meant to actually kill himself? 0_o

In any case, in episode 11 we reach a point where everything is hosed:
-Shang is captured, and won't be able to free himself.
-Ling chained and still seemingly charmed by the sword.
-Juan dead.
-Lang shocked by his own origins, and not knowing anything that happened to the rest.
-Kgey traveling to the past.
-The scroll in enemy hands.

At this point it's clear that this story won't end in Season 3. It's going to have some cliffhanger and continue in Season 4.

I'm not sure of Yi Piamio, was the moment of saving Shang just slightly weak writing (the writing team needing some excuse to not kill the hero when he should die), or is he a double agent or something like that?

About Lang, well, the time guardian we in fact the demon. People guessed it right (well, between the horns and voice it wasn't hard). He is eviiil.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice
I wanted to mention last episode is the meeting with the Immortal Hermit and their conversation with Shang felt like a very subtle nod to Emiya Shirou and Archer in Unlimited Blade Works; albeit with a different argument and resolution; but similar! It was fun and also touching. Basically the way Shang, like Shirou, has no regrets with his choices, and doesn't blame the Hermit for indirectly, placing on his shoulders this duty; in a similar way to both Shirou not regretting his choices in UBW to fully accepting the legacy of Kiritsugu. I think there's a pretty important emotional resolution happening here which is more than "not much happening".

But anyways I agree; there was something exceptionally strange and sus with the way Juan acted towards Shang with the Index. On the other hand Lin continues to act very much like Lin, so I wonder if the puppet is foreshadowing an ability to control Juan like a puppet or to speak through him or something.

Todays episode has more happening:

-Namely, Ming is presenting himself as some kind of Xanatos like figure and the questions of the threat of SBD reviving or the index and General Po are all kinda ultimately not important, the end result is he wins is I think what they're trying to convey though I didn't quite catch the exact plan.
-Lou is a Tiefling is confirmed. :v: I wonder what the actual plan by Azeliphus is or if its just him seeing an opportunity to mess with people and entertain himself; as is often the case with 5e D&D demons and their tiefling descendents.
-The preview for next week hints that Lin presumably has something planned at the cusp of things.
-Pimiao trying to plot behind General Po's back got shutdown hard, which made me laugh.
-I like that SBD continues to be something of a tsundere/frazzled with regards to Monk dude and Qing Hai continues to look on in confusion.

e:

quote:

I'm not sure of Yi Piamio, was the moment of saving Shang just slightly weak writing (the writing team needing some excuse to not kill the hero when he should die), or is he a double agent or something like that?

My thinking is he wanted to undermine the General Dude and simply took the opportunity to have the Index in the General's hands to sell the subterfuge he's doing as more believable. We know from the previous episode he had some sort of game in mind when he was suggesting that the General do what he wants.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 12, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, the previous episode's scene of Shang and wizard guy accepting what happened/what will happen was nice, just strange as it's very unconnected with the rest of the season.

Ok, I cracked the case, now i think Lin is Mantis guy

-He has been showing to be a smooth manipulative guy during the last two episodes.
-In this episode, he influenced the General to not return with the scroll, but to delay it and use it against the demon sisters, which doesn't make a lot of sense as a pair of episodes ago his posture was the opposite: the Divine Swam has priority over anything.
-The scene where he asked the talisman to talk with their boss was framed like somewhat special by the series direction, I thought it was a bit weird, and also doesn't he have his own talisman? In fact there was a moment in a past episode where Lin spies one of the two Swam guys and see the talisman. Given his ultimate goal is to defeat-troll their boss, him getting closer with the talisman would give some sense of why the scene was special.
-Finally, he saved Shang's life with a flimsy excuse, which as I said before, it seemed somewhat weak writing. This is a strong clue for me, that together the others, I think gives it a high probability.

So I think at some point he swapped with Mantis guy. I don't know if willingly or not.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Holy poo poo, I just thought: what if there is one more swap. What if Mantis wasn't swapped as Lin, but as... Juan. The one who just died, you know. LOL
It would explain why Lin didn't avoid his death, and even more important: why Juan seemed sure of himself and eager to take the scroll from Shang. Surely he sold this plan with disguises to Mantis as a way to steal the scroll, and it seemed to work for an instant, even.
It still would imply Juan is then indeed Lin, charmed by the sword.

On hindsight, I couldn't see it because episodes before I thought there was 1 swap, so I was wondering what character A swapped with B, and confused because it wouldn't work with any combination I could think of. It didn't occur to me it could be two swaps, between A, B and C, I was blindsided. Mantis saving Shang here made it clearer.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 12, 2021

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Vape Wizard can't just swap places with people. He creates an illusion with his smoke which means he has to be in the same room or nearby the people he wants to deceive. Also the effects of the smoke eventually wear off. He can't just "swap" with someone and gently caress off elsewhere. Especially if the other person doesn't know that other people are under the influence of the smoke.

What was really weird to me in this episode is that Mantis and General guy both looked right at 7BD and didn't immediately start going crazy trying to get to her. That made no sense.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

Vape Wizard can't just swap places with people. He creates an illusion with his smoke which means he has to be in the same room or nearby the people he wants to deceive. Also the effects of the smoke eventually wear off. He can't just "swap" with someone and gently caress off elsewhere. Especially if the other person doesn't know that other people are under the influence of the smoke.

In season 1 they show he has a magical head robe with the power of disguise. That's what he is using, not the smoke.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Turin Turambar posted:

In season 1 they show he has a magical head robe with the power of disguise. That's what he is using, not the smoke.

That could definitely be the case but then he has to make sure that he and the person he's impersonating are never together. If Vape Wizard is disguised as Mantis then where is the real Mantis?

The only way to unravel all this is that he has a bunch of those hoods and he convinced multiple people to wear them through manipulation.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Elephant Ambush posted:

What was really weird to me in this episode is that Mantis and General guy both looked right at 7BD and didn't immediately start going crazy trying to get to her. That made no sense.

SBD has to activate her ability, it isn't a passive. And doing so would break their uneasy alliance/truce, so she's restraining herself.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Elephant Ambush posted:

I think she has to exert herself, however mildly, for that to happen

Really interested to see what happens when she gets her body back. Has there ever been any relationship in fiction that was broken up over "I liked you better as a sword"?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

OnimaruXLR posted:

I think she has to exert herself, however mildly, for that to happen

Really interested to see what happens when she gets her body back. Has there ever been any relationship in fiction that was broken up over "I liked you better as a sword"?

That is almost certainly what's going to happen there. I can just see it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I hoping that like, it's not like it redeems them or anything but regaining her body and actually figuring out her feelings kinda chills them out enough that next session or after they are more like frenemies. I'd love for this to be like a really long running series with story arcs setting up stuff for future arc.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Got my hopes up for a moment thinking that Mantis was being a wingman to Jun, but no.

I really want Lin to be faking it and to have cast some sort of sleep or illusion magic on Ken to make it look like he died, but I don't think he'd be able to do any sleight of hand like that while wielding S7B in his hands.

Finally, Monk gets to actually do something this season.

Turin Turambar posted:

Shang's excursion through time didn't change anything, revealing the guy who did the swords also didn't know how they work means we maintain what was before the status quo. In any case that was a question & answer that really didn't have any relation with the current plotlines.

It's obviously a setup for seasons 4 and 5 as a plot destination. I wonder if the heroes will be racing Locus to it.

Turin Turambar posted:

That was so unlike him (in comparison with the rest of the season). No being nervous because the responsibility of the scrolls that he knows is super powerful and super dangerous? Instead he shows himself to be sure of himself? Uhh??!

Then again, if Lin is Juan, well, does he plan meant to actually kill himself? 0_o

In season 2, it was established that 7BD sucks the life force out of people upon drinking their blood. We see Lang gets barely scratched by 7BD, and was instantly drained of all of his strength and lost years off of his life. Whoever was impaled by 7BD this episode - be it Ken or Lin or Mantis pretending to be Ken - is 100% dead.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I think Lin did his plan as I explained in my spoilers above, but a bit like end of season 1 where not everything went as he calculated, so while he planned the double switcheroo, I think he didn't contemplate Kgai acting on her own and using 7BD to charm whoever is disguised as him, killing fake-Ken/Mantis in the process. That was dumb luck on his part.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
I'm catching up on the last 4 eps and I didn't expect to get an eyeful of Xing Hai fanservice :eyepop: Just the entire idea of a fanservice scene using these dolls is hilarious and Lin giving her a massage had me cracking up during the entire thing.

Regarding the reveals from the latest episode:

I'm sure Lang and Azibelpher are going to have a wholesome Father's Day in next week's episode. :) Also this series really enjoys blinding women, huh.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Can Of Worms posted:

I'm catching up on the last 4 eps and I didn't expect to get an eyeful of Xing Hai fanservice :eyepop: Just the entire idea of a fanservice scene using these dolls is hilarious and Lin giving her a massage had me cracking up during the entire thing.

Regarding the reveals from the latest episode:

I'm sure Lang and Azibelpher are going to have a wholesome Father's Day in next week's episode. :) Also this series really enjoys blinding women, huh.

Urubuchi has been getting better about not torturing his female characters but come to think of it this is still something of an unfortunate throwback. :smith:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A pair of hours until it's revealed who was right, switcheroo fans or switcheroo haters. Get hyped!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

A pair of hours until it's revealed who was right, switcheroo fans or switcheroo haters. Get hyped!

It's so good when a plan comes together, and all the small clues we had made logical sense.

Me being right is also cool. :P

Juan's wife recognizing him in an instant was funny.
As the monk being left in the past, 200 years ago. Although, I saw how the mirror leaf was left when the devil sisters came back to the present, will it still work, so he can come back too? In any case the monk's reaction was easily predictable, he adores the sword, not some wench (in his own words).

The general plan is simple and straightforward, but in that straightforwardness I can see how he thought it could work. Alas, I don't think it will work. I think 7BD real form will the the fourth season nemesis.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 19, 2021

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Haha I was right too :cool:

The only thing I found weird that I have to go back and watch is Vape Wizard fighting as Mantis using Mantis' actual weapons and fighting techniques. It might be a timing thing but it would be crazy if he could do that.

The next episode is going to be completely off the chain.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

The only thing I found weird that I have to go back and watch is Vape Wizard fighting as Mantis using Mantis' actual weapons and fighting techniques. It might be a timing thing but it would be crazy if he could do that.

He is near-divine-level swordman (as we saw at the end of Season 1) and a wizard too, that part didn't surprise me.

So .... the general is dead right? With him revealing his 'disguise' to both sides, and the series basking on the loyalty to him and how he wants to save the nation. And Lin recognizing he is good enough to stop being his target. He only needs to add 'only 2 days until retirement!' to make it clearer. No way he gets out of this alive.

I wonder if undead-Mantis will still play a role, or will be forgotten. By the way, the more 'human' moments, like the guy who said his son was killed by tax collectors and Shang explaining why would be bad to conquer the throne with the sword, were pretty nice.

Finally, I wonder if Monk won't change the past for the worse, if he remains there... a plot hole?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Only slightly related to this but I just started watching I Maxed Out My Level and it's only the second show I've heard Aoi Yuuki in and it's cracking me up. This teenage witch in some weird alternate MMO reality is still an evil sword with a demon trapped inside and I can't stop laughing.

I may have heard her voice in other shows in the past but 7BD is the first time anyone ever told me "this is Aoi Yuuki and she is a very big deal and very famous and very awesome" so I actually paid attention to her voice and now anytime I hear her voice in anything else I will think of 7BD.

Anyway yeah General is guaranteed to die a heroic death so Shou Fu Kan can save the day. Monk is absolutely going to come back. The artificer guy from the beginning of the season will find him and they'll go back to the future together. Monk still has the sword Shou Kun Lin was trapped in and he will stop at nothing to put her back in there. He's not gone forever any more than he was at the end of season 2.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'd written off the switcheroo as too convoluted but I guess I was wrong.

Really looking forward to the next episode!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
drat good episode, congrats to the people who were right!

One thing I really like about Lin is somehow despite being this extremely overpowered like character he avoids being some kind of "Gary Stu"; he's entertaining to watch and his plans fail to come together often enough that its funny to watch him get dunked on even if it largely doesn't really slow his roll.

Could be the Wuxia setting too, a lot of people in it are pretty powerful and badass but Lin seems to easily stand above them all as if he was Aragorn and Gandalf rolled into one character and it fits. You're not sure how he came to exist, but he does, and everyone else just has to deal with it and frown at him whenever he appears.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Turin Turambar posted:

The general plan is simple and straightforward, but in that straightforwardness I can see how he thought it could work. Alas, I don't think it will work. I think 7BD real form will the the fourth season nemesis.

She'll be defeated next episode. They'll save Azibelpher, Locust, and old Monk for S4 (and maybe movie 3). Kei Guy may or may not die next episode (I'd prefer for her to meet her end next episode, as otherwise it will start to get irritating when we have villains for surviving too long).

Turin Turambar posted:

As the monk being left in the past, 200 years ago. Although, I saw how the mirror leaf was left when the devil sisters came back to the present, will it still work, so he can come back too?

He'll take the long way back to the present day. He'll be really old the next time we see him again.

Turin Turambar posted:

So .... the general is dead right? With him revealing his 'disguise' to both sides, and the series basking on the loyalty to him and how he wants to save the nation. And Lin recognizing he is good enough to stop being his target. He only needs to add 'only 2 days until retirement!' to make it clearer. No way he gets out of this alive.

There is a decent chance he'll survive to lead Xi You. Remember, the country is falling apart and needs a leader. The princess is crazy, and either the Emperor has been brainwashed or he is a coward (we'll find out when the heroes barge into the palace he locked himself in).

It seems that the series might be heading towards a "War of the Fading Dusk 2.0", in which case it'd be convenient to have leader characters in both countries.

Raenir Salazar posted:

One thing I really like about Lin is somehow despite being this extremely overpowered like character he avoids being some kind of "Gary Stu"; he's entertaining to watch and his plans fail to come together often enough that its funny to watch him get dunked on even if it largely doesn't really slow his roll.

Could be the Wuxia setting too, a lot of people in it are pretty powerful and badass but Lin seems to easily stand above them all as if he was Aragorn and Gandalf rolled into one character and it fits. You're not sure how he came to exist, but he does, and everyone else just has to deal with it and frown at him whenever he appears.

Lin works because he doesn't solve the plot for the other heroes. He's more into irritating people than defeating them. Similarly, Gandalf worked in LotR because he didn't solve the plot.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Moofia Boss Val posted:

She'll be defeated next episode. They'll save Azibelpher, Locust, and old Monk for S4 (and maybe movie 3). Kei Guy may or may not die next episode (I'd prefer for her to meet her end next episode, as otherwise it will start to get irritating when we have villains for surviving too long).

He'll take the long way back to the present day. He'll be really old the next time we see him again.

It could be... but I'm a bit tired of Monk already, and he is a dead-end character wise. in between season 2 and 3 we had enough of him. I also thought your theory (he'll take the long way back) but it's 200 years. I guess in this genre, by mastering qi you can slow how your age, but it seems a bit too much for me, two hundred years.

What I don't understand is how the demon sisters, who explained before how careful you have to be when dealing with time traveling, go and leave a person there.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
They're going to beat Aoi Yuuki and emerge from the Void Junction to find out that Lóu Zhèn Jiè has replaced the entire world with clones of himself and mass-produced 7BD copies, somehow.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Turin Turambar posted:

I wonder if undead-Mantis will still play a role, or will be forgotten.[/spoiler]

Getting revived retains most of your fighting skills, that fuccboi still remains a threat, but no longer a social threat.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The thing that I love is Mantis doing all of that attempt at manipulating was so clearly Lin's handiwork but was also convincingly something maybe Mantis would do.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

It could be... but I'm a bit tired of Monk already, and he is a dead-end character wise. in between season 2 and 3 we had enough of him. I also thought your theory (he'll take the long way back) but it's 200 years. I guess in this genre, by mastering qi you can slow how your age, but it seems a bit too much for me, two hundred years.

What I don't understand is how the demon sisters, who explained before how careful you have to be when dealing with time traveling, go and leave a person there.

There's mileage in Lou if they decide to keep Zhao around in her corporeal form as a major antagonist. An almighty archdemon having to deal with her one admirer who's both powerful and unpredictable enough to be interesting/annoying will be a fun little subplot, especially if he ends up changing her attitude towards humanity (for better or for worse - or, most probably, both at once).

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Raenir Salazar posted:

The thing that I love is Mantis doing all of that attempt at manipulating was so clearly Lin's handiwork but was also convincingly something maybe Mantis would do.

They kind of take the piss out of it mid episode as well: Lin is so clearly untrustworthy that everyone else inside the Void Junction assumes he's up to something, in the same way that the audience finds Mantis so fuccboi-ish that you assume he is doing something to undermine Wan Po.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

so about that: after the switch he never does any of mantis's techniques - it's super notable because mantis very specifically makes note he just always goes all out and always does the magic flying sword poo poo in every single one of his fights pretty much immediately before the switch.

one of my favorite things about it is hown if you pay attention to the body langauge used, mantis and lin have insanely diff body langauge and postswap lin absolutely does nothing to change his inflection and body langauge while disguised as mantis. whenever lin talks he has a really distinct kinda flamboyant motion the other chars dont have and postswap mantis goes from the regular minimal motion to lins

overall the season has been a hell of a slow rear end boil but the characters make it real fun

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

They kind of take the piss out of it mid episode as well: Lin is so clearly untrustworthy that everyone else inside the Void Junction assumes he's up to something, in the same way that the audience finds Mantis so fuccboi-ish that you assume he is doing something to undermine Wan Po.

I did get a good chuckle out of Lin explaining that posing as him is the perfect disguise because being suspicious as gently caress is 100% in character.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
For some reason I have the feeling that the Emperor and leader of the Divine Swarm are actually the same person, with some kind of convoluted reason of realizing Imperial rule needs to end for the country but not being able to accomplish that as the Emperor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Fereydun posted:

one of my favorite things about it is hown if you pay attention to the body langauge used, mantis and lin have insanely diff body langauge and postswap lin absolutely does nothing to change his inflection and body langauge while disguised as mantis. whenever lin talks he has a really distinct kinda flamboyant motion the other chars dont have and postswap mantis goes from the regular minimal motion to lins

Yeah, body acting of these puppets is incredible