Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

dogsicle posted:

was vivy really going to poo poo a bed of 12 solid episodes with its finale though

Joran poo poo a bed of 11 solid episodes by making the main character as worthless as the Tokyo Revengers dude. Gotta stay alert for poo poo like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
I enjoyed the hell out of Vivy. I felt it may have stumbled a bit in the third quarter, but the end was very solid imo. Visuals and sound were great, story was solid. Would definitely recommend.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

vivy was good, it's more of a popcorn thriller than a thoughtful hard sci-fi work but that was the case from the start

Big Leg posted:

this looks pretty sick. probably heresy to say this, but the character designs and unnatural atmosphere definitely gave me some kon vibes.

i don't think it's heresy when it's clearly inviting the comparison by having hisashi eguchi as the character designer. i haven't watched the episode yet but i'm excited to see what a shingo natsume original anime is like, he's a neat director.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Grouchio posted:

I have yet to watch Vivy and I usually don't watch promising shows if I knew they'd burn out - Kabaneri for example. Hence my asking.

You'd probably love Vivy. It"s writen by Tappei Nagatsuki, the writer for Re:Zero.

dogsicle posted:

was vivy really going to poo poo a bed of 12 solid episodes with its finale though

It's happened before :shrug:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Rudoku posted:

Joran poo poo a bed of 11 solid episodes by making the main character as worthless as the Tokyo Revengers dude. Gotta stay alert for poo poo like that.

eh, joran was like perfect example of an inconsistent show for me. it was also so obviously preoccupied with doing twists that an ending like what we got was in character.

please someone give them money for the Asahi and Satsuki season

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Weren't people earlier in the thread saying things like Mars Red and Joran were neck and neck for worst show of the season?

Speaking of, what happened to Mars Red?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Kwyndig posted:

I heard it had an excellent standalone first episode, but then it became a much more bog standard vampire story after than and I don't know if anyone here followed it through to completion.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh yeah the first episode was really good but then I dropped off around episode 3 or so because I had once again picked too many anime to follow with my crippling depression.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i was purposely making them compete because they're supernatural period shows but idk who else is on it

it always seemed like the points Joran was waning, Mars Red was coming back into its own and vice versa. but recent stuff in MR has been pretty dire for my interest since they've just kind of turned one of the main cast into a base-instincts level vampire and replaced their more interesting villain with a stupid cackling guy. the drop from ep1 MR to the rest is definitely real, but that "standard" vampire hunting stuff doesn't last too long and they start throwing some meat to both main cast and the villain, culminating in the Kanto earthquake and exploring the aftereffects of that on the setting and characters. its also coming way more from the "being a vampire sucks" angle than them being powerful and awesome etc, which has been interesting. i feel like it had a really solid 9-10 eps in its run that i'm glad i watched but have tempered expectations for the conclusion, basically.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Kwyndig posted:

Weren't people earlier in the thread saying things like Mars Red and Joran were neck and neck for worst show of the season?

mars red is pretty good, it's a slow-burn drama though and had some less interesting episodes in the first half so i think a lot of people bailed. i love the art direction, it's a very pretty show in static shots, the animation less so unfortunately.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

new youjo senki felt like an adaptation of the (correctly) cancelled manga spinoff where they eat food

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Kwyndig posted:

it turns out people on the internet in general, and this website in particular, really love the exaggerate how terrible things are

i mean, come on,, there was a battle athletes sequel season this cour of all things

Davincie posted:

new youjo senki felt like an adaptation of the (correctly) cancelled manga spinoff where they eat food

It wasn't particularly good but the idea of having an episode in the barrel to launch coinciding with a new season announcement is kinda neat

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

very few people have the power to watch Battle Athletes

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

dogsicle posted:

attack on titan chapter 139

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

the AoT ending was not nearly as bad as people played it up to be tbh. Not really particularly good though.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there's plenty of stuff before the ending it doesn't really affect for me, yeah. the anime even moreso bc you add in stuff like the music, direction, and animation that would still hold up regardless.

and yeah can confirm Vivy just had a solid ending in line with everything before it. would've liked more time for epilogue stuff rather than speedrun rehashing (with a twist) the events from the prior episode but that's my one gripe.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

roobots posted:

Funimation posted an early 24hr preview of the first episode of Sonny Boy. I was expecting it to be weird, but it's somehow even weirder and cooler than I thought it'd be.
I don't know what's going on here but I like it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's Drifting Classroom with a smaller cast and superpowers.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Kwyndig posted:

Well, you sold ME at least.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Kwyndig posted:

and less horror (so far at least). Although, it does also make a direct reference to Drifting Classroom.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

another artiswitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gba9KGRcjng

and another troubled girl, ft. her cool mom

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

dogsicle posted:

very few people have the power to watch Battle Athletes

It's true I gave up after one episode.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So was Battle Athletes just real boring or something?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

dogsicle posted:

weak ending but honestly i don't care, it was good enough.
i liked vivy a lot

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

dogsicle posted:

eh, joran was like perfect example of an inconsistent show for me. it was also so obviously preoccupied with doing twists that an ending like what we got was in character.

please someone give them money for the Asahi and Satsuki season

thunderbold fantasy's anime betrayals are significantly better than jorans

anyway joran's penultimate episode was actually pretty good! the show can be good when the writer doesnt want to be nasty for the sake of nastiness

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

marumaru posted:

weak ending but honestly i don't care, it was good enough.
i liked vivy a lot

:same:

Anime that end as well as they start seem to be something of a rarity. I could probably only name half a dozen of the top of my head.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

So was Battle Athletes just real boring or something?

I've only watched through episode 7 because it's so drat boring. Waiting for the final episode to drop and then I'll binge through what I've got left since going weekly was a slog.

I just didn't care about any of the characters or the plots, and kept comparing it to the original series which not only remembers it's a sports anime, it develops the characters and keeps a central plot the entire way through.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

KariOhki posted:

I've only watched through episode 7 because it's so drat boring. Waiting for the final episode to drop and then I'll binge through what I've got left since going weekly was a slog.

I just didn't care about any of the characters or the plots, and kept comparing it to the original series which not only remembers it's a sports anime, it develops the characters and keeps a central plot the entire way through.

Speaking of the originals, from what I can tell the TV series and OVA are standalone but is there any particular order they should be watched?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Brutal Garcon posted:

Anime that end as well as they start seem to be something of a rarity. I could probably only name half a dozen of the top of my head.

Okay, lessee... looking at my big list of anime, and excluding OVAs...

Mobile Suit Gundam
Mobile Fighter G Gundam
Turn A Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Patlabor on TV
SSSS Gridman
Mob Psycho 100
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Cowboy Bebop
Anohana
Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online
Space Patrol Luluco
Tatami Galaxy
Chargeman Ken

I definitely agree that it's difficult, but I've seen enough endings manage to keep up the momentum that it's not too much to hope for.

As for terrible anime this season, SD Gundam World Heroes is bad in a boring way. It has no gags you haven't seen done much better, no action that's worth looking up from your phone, and a central plot that only exists to string together generic set pieces from various stock settings. It coming out the same season as Hathaway really is something.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Brutal Garcon posted:

I can name a hundred. In fact. I will.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i don't think shows with slam dunk endings are that rare. e.g. we just had Akudama Drive which had such a good finale that it went from not having a discussion thread to being #2 in the end of year poll. that's an extreme example but there's probably a few per year even if you only allow originals / complete adaptations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
Digimon Tamers
A Place Further Than The Universe
Gundam Ironblooded Orphans
SSSS. Gridman
Star Twinkle Precure
Aikatsu Stars
Yu-Gi-Oh
Turn-A Gundam
Birdy The Mighty Decode
K-On
Idolmaster Cinderella Girls
Princess Tutu
Madoka Magica
Wixoss
Concrete Revolutio
Diebuster
Aquarion Evol
Katanagatari
Code Geass's s2 has some rough patches but the ending is the best part of the show
King Gainer
Girls und Panzer
G Gundam
Haibane Renmei
Simoun
GaoGaiGar
Ideon
Voltes V
Gundam Wing
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Gunbuster
symphogear had ups and downs but the endings good. actually can we just count s1's ending because that rules
Akudama Drive
Granbelm
Akanesasu Shoujo
Wish upon the Pleiades
sao ggo
aikatsu
kyousou giga
ungo
xam'd
i think im just listing a bunch of 2000s originala nime nobody watcehd at this point
shin jeeg
rakugou
okay its an incomplete manga adaptation but coppelion ends with a chase scene between a train and a giant spider mech that lasts for like 3 full episodes and also there's a cow giving birth on the train that it keeps cutting back to and i need to tell someone that
giant robo
zegapain
lain
kannazuki no miko
nadesico

this isnt as funny as i thought itd be but i assure you i could keep going

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
can i count the tales of the abyss anime's ending, i love tales of the abyss's ending

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

dogsicle posted:

That one aztec fantasy anime kocked room mystery show

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

Sometimes effort-posting backfires. :sigh:

Endorph posted:

can i count the tales of the abyss anime's ending, i love tales of the abyss's ending
Well, it's an anime so yes.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

GorfZaplen posted:

That one aztec fantasy anime kocked room mystery show
Rokka no Yuusha.

What an absolute shin-kicker of an ending.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Endorph posted:

There's a lot of anime with well-written endings, but there's also a lot of anime, especially very hyped ones, that had a promising start but failed to stick the landing.

Darling in the Franxx
Kuma Miko
The Pilot's Love Song
Apparently Attack on Titan? I haven't finished it, but The Discourse appears to be upset about the ending for some reason.
As GorfZaplen mentions, Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers is widely considered an an example, although I don't think it was really that bad.

OK, that's not actually that many, but that was just off the top of my head. Give me a few minutes and I could come up with more.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

idk, i peaced out of Franxx a good way through because it was obvious enough that it was a mess even if it could hit some high notes. it actually ending on a satisfying note would've been the surprising outcome imo.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
franxx was an obvious inconsistent mess long before it even hit the halfway stretch, kuma miko was a bad adaptation of an inoffensive manga that was playing up the mean spiritedness of it from the first ep, aot's a manga adaptation, rokka's an adaptation that chose a bad spot to end on for the sake of pushing more novel sales. none of these really go bad in the last five minutes so much as they have obvious problems that persist all the way into the end and possibly get worse, besides rokka which just, was never really aiming to be a complete self-contained story and made a bad choice about how to handle that

otoh i'm the person who thinks mai hime's ending is one of the only good parts of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wark Say posted:

Rokka no Yuusha.

What an absolute shin-kicker of an ending.
The anime sold so poorly that the author (who was already nosediving the plot further) went on hiatus five years ago.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 20, 2021