Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

eonwe posted:

don't use server browser

also first person is superior and i don't think you are at that big of a disadvantage, if any

Yeah, after a while you kind of develop a sixth sense of enemies who've moved out of your FoV, and in turn you do get a big advantage when it comes gauging distance and landing thrusts or throws. Plus it's extremely satisfying when you gauge an accel just right and kill a guy while running past him without even seeing him.

Also, I've finally given the Battle Axe a spin, and holy poo poo I'm in love. Sure, the range is a bit short, but good god the damage :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

VulgarandStupid posted:

The bots don’t respond well to good footwork and things like holds. Generally if you move away or side to side against then and do a hold, you’ll kill them easily. They are also easily recognizable.

it's this 90% of my bot kills are because I'm attacking someone else and doing hold-drags. I don't even think they block if you're not looking at them.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I don't generally like calling for nerfs in a game, especially before the dust has even settled from release, and therefore I hate myself for this, but I hope they nerf the Messer into the ground and salt the earth where it is buried. I hope everyone who "mains Messer" gets forced to wear a skin with a giant "M" emblazoned on it so we can all recognize who the shitters are for all time. I hope archers forevermore respond to insults with, "Oh yeah? Well at least I don't use a Messer!"

My greatest joy in this game murdering helicopter Messer twats, but that isn't always easy because if they realize that they have a stab button along with a swing button, it's a real tough fight. That loving stab comes out so quick and starts doing damage so early....grrrrrrrr. I mad. There are a lot of weapons that have some of the same advantages as the Messer, the Messer just seems to have all of the advantages in one package.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

cerebral posted:

I don't generally like calling for nerfs in a game, especially before the dust has even settled from release, and therefore I hate myself for this, but I hope they nerf the Messer into the ground and salt the earth where it is buried. I hope everyone who "mains Messer" gets forced to wear a skin with a giant "M" emblazoned on it so we can all recognize who the shitters are for all time. I hope archers forevermore respond to insults with, "Oh yeah? Well at least I don't use a Messer!"

My greatest joy in this game murdering helicopter Messer twats, but that isn't always easy because if they realize that they have a stab button along with a swing button, it's a real tough fight. That loving stab comes out so quick and starts doing damage so early....grrrrrrrr. I mad. There are a lot of weapons that have some of the same advantages as the Messer, the Messer just seems to have all of the advantages in one package.

I enjoy pressing q into the back of their head as an ambusher. I guess I enjoy doing that to everyone though

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Messer was the win button in Chiv1 as well. My favorite counter to it is to throw an axe through their face.

Orv
May 4, 2011

cerebral posted:

I haven't really posted about it because it's sort of pointless whining but there's a fair bit that's jacked about weapons right now. Giant two handers shouldn't be putting out a stab faster than daggers, as a very minimal example but that's a thing I've had happen a ton.

Game is still a ton of fun though.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

Messer was the win button in Chiv1 as well. My favorite counter to it is to throw an axe through their face.

Fortunately there is a class that can throw a giant axe into a face and still carry a messer!

But yeah seriously it's a monstrously good weapon.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The messer is basically the glaive, except it does twice as much damage and swings faster

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Yeah, it isn't a serious rant, there are a ton of weapons with something that feels broken about them, and it doesn't ruin my enjoyment of the game, Messer just seems to have the most things broken about it, and as such is over-used to the point where it really stands out. The positive thing is that nothing feels so out of balance to me that it can't be fixed with a few tweaks (someone needs to go over stab speed with a fine-toothed comb).

megane posted:

The messer is basically the glaive, except it does twice as much damage and swings faster

and that stab, that god damned stab.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

cerebral posted:

If I hit 10 people in a row with the Messer underhand sweep, it is good odds someone in the chat will be complaining about shortsword thrusts or short spear thrusts or long spear thrusts or anything that isn't big swing favored. And if I joke about how easy a time I'm having with the Messer special someone will start complaining about the thrust instead.

Knowing the usual trends in these games? I think a lot of people will clamor for "Nerf the stab! The clearly only thing to strong on the messer honest" and quietly say nothing about how insanely easy it is for even an idiot like me to racking up an insane killstreak by slashing people in the shins. Kind of like how there have been a few times I see people declare the Longsword 80 damage overhand special "Not that strong, it's only 80 damage" then go right back to declaring the short spear is too strong even if the last thing to kill them was me bashing their brains out with the hilt of a longsword.

EDIT: That said, I think something might be genuinely wrong with the greatsword thrust. Even with how wacky the netcode can be, that one gives me a consistent vibe of "but my sword was nowhere near them, how did I stab them to death?" but understandably most of the attention is on the maximum helicopter masters with the biggest sword in the game.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 19, 2021

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Shovel is OP

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Section Z posted:

EDIT: That said, I think something might be genuinely wrong with the greatsword thrust. Even with how wacky the netcode can be, that one gives me a consistent vibe of "but my sword was nowhere near them, how did I stab them to death?" but understandably most of the attention is on the maximum helicopter masters with the biggest sword in the game.

The entire sword is the hitbox for the thrust. You can even hit people with the hilt who you aren't aiming at if they're close enough.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Clanpot Shake posted:

The entire sword is the hitbox for the thrust. You can even hit people with the hilt who you aren't aiming at if they're close enough.

Also, the hitbox activates earlier and lasts longer than you'd expect. It still does full damage even when it doesn't have any visual momentum.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Also, the hitbox activates earlier and lasts longer than you'd expect. It still does full damage even when it doesn't have any visual momentum.

The same applies to all weapons: I've done damage with the two-handed spear when it looks like I've started pulling it back.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
I’ve done damage before you were even born

-me to my children

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Section Z posted:

Knowing the usual trends in these games? I think a lot of people will clamor for "Nerf the stab! The clearly only thing to strong on the messer honest" and quietly say nothing about how insanely easy it is for even an idiot like me to racking up an insane killstreak by slashing people in the shins. Kind of like how there have been a few times I see people declare the Longsword 80 damage overhand special "Not that strong, it's only 80 damage" then go right back to declaring the short spear is too strong even if the last thing to kill them was me bashing their brains out with the hilt of a longsword.

Yeah, it's the whole package with the Messer that makes it the object of my hate. PLENTY of weapons in this game have things about them that are "broken", it's just that the Messer has a couple of things about it that are broken. The huge swings are the most obvious, but don't sleep on the stab or the special.

Also, just to be clear, I'm not hanging out on the Torn Banner Discord or trolling Chiv subforums on reddit calling for nerfs. I'm bitching on SA because bitching outside of game makes me slightly less salty in game, and that leads to me having more fun when I'm playing. This is just a low stakes place for me to talk about a game that I'm really enjoying and about the weapon that I've chosen to focus my ire on.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
stab messer users with short sword

its a u win button

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

eonwe posted:

stab messer users with short sword

its a u win button

Jabbing followed by an accelled overhead works pretty well too. Jabbing is a bit wonky, you have to be very close, and you have to assume it's going to land and immediately follow it up, but it does work and I swear that if you look close enough, you can see the surprised look on the character model's face before you bury your weapon in their skull.

I also take your point, I could just as easily be whinging about several different weapons instead of the Meser. Short Sword, 1H Spear, etc., all candidates for complaining about.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Lately I've been waiting till they're recovering and clonking them on the back of the head with a sledge:shrug:

Lot more worried about people playing turtle with polearms personally

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 19, 2021

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

So far my strategy is to run around with the 2h spear until I'm sprinting, Q someone in the back or face then hopefully kill them. Rinse and repeat. I love spears, I wish more games had them.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i'd love a baby noob feature that make enemy weapons start glowing when theyre in the actually damaging part of the attack. the most annoying weapons to fight are the ones that engage really early or late while the actual model is barely moving

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Farm Frenzy posted:

i'd love a baby noob feature that make enemy weapons start glowing when theyre in the actually damaging part of the attack. the most annoying weapons to fight are the ones that engage really early or late while the actual model is barely moving
Even just a more genuine training bots mode would be pretty good if you wanted to get a feel for particular things.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
imo don't even think about whether they can currently damage you, just wait until the instant before they hit to block

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Anyone else get constant CTDs whenever you're playing around in the Customization menu? I feel like I can change about three cosmetics before it crashes.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

cerebral posted:

Yeah I unlocked the Messer night on like my first night and that's all I played for a week, once I tried other classes I was very horribly surprised by how much worse they all were I had been playing the game in easy mode.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

According to this chart I found on Google, the Messer actually does more damage than the Greatsword for standard attacks, the Greatsword only wins out on heavy and special attacks and the Longsword is the stabbiest of the group. So it seems the Messer was designed to be the swinging helicopter sword, maybe they should just nerf the stab damage a few points and call it a day.

Also that chart is telling me I need to hurry up and unlock the 1-handed spear, I assumed it would be weaker than the 2-handed spear but I guess technically the opposite is true.

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

the one handed spear is absurdly overpowered and has basically no animations

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Are Vanguards really the only ones that can use mauls

I wanna be a Crusader with a maul :(

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Playing some Chiv 2. It's fun. If you play as an archer you're a loving degenerate

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Ciaphas posted:

its real simple pick one up off of the dead Vanguard you just slaughtered
Seriously my main weapon lasts about 1 minute as I grab someone's Messer or Longbow

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Knights can get both the two-handed hammer and the heavy mace, at least. Not quite maul tier, but still good for fun bonking times.

Also, I just tried the glaive some more, and learned that it's sprint attack deals loving 15 damage :psyduck:. It's so frustrating, I really like the way it looks and handles, but needing two/three additional hits to kill an enemy is simply completely infeasible. It's just strictly worse than... well, I was gonna say the halberd, but it's also worse than pretty much every other weapon in the game except perhaps the knife.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 20, 2021

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

have you seen my baby posted:

the one handed spear is absurdly overpowered and has basically no animations
e: I dont know how unlocks work. NVM

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 20, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Playing some Chiv 2. It's fun. If you play as an archer you're a loving degenerate

the third subclass uses javelins instead of a bow, right? throwing weapons're cool, i'll die on that hill, but to have to play archer t o get it... :negative:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think they really should have made the javelin throwing the base class so people at least had to play that before jumping into archer spam.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

I think they really should have made the javelin throwing the base class so people at least had to play that before jumping into archer spam.

I'd definitely like that

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

Maybe it balances out because the axe only Knights are allowed to use sounds like an anvil crushing your skill when you die.

Ciaphas posted:

the third subclass uses javelins instead of a bow, right? throwing weapons're cool, i'll die on that hill, but to have to play archer t o get it... :negative:

They also unlock throwing axes instead of Javelins at class level 15 :v: Just tell yourself you are doing it to grind throwing axe cosmetics for the knight faster, because they get six at a time instead of two.

It seems uh... very situational whether or not you rack up points or wonder why you bothered. But at least friendly fire is a hell of a lot less awkward when someone zigzags between your axe and a fellow archer's skull.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I picked up some Javelins from a person I killed and unlike the bow they're super fun to use. Didn't feel the need to take a shower after using them neither!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Ciaphas posted:

You have to play archer, yes.

That does not mean you have to use a bow.

:black101:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, javelins generally feel fair and fun to play against. They have a pretty visible tell, you can parry them, and the user needs to get fairly close to use them effectively. Getting killed by a thrown javelin feels no more frustrating than getting killed by any other thrown melee weapon, which is usually hilarious. Just delete the longbow and crossbow from the game and instead give the archer class an array of ever more improbable throwing weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Ever since I discovered you could pick up chickens I've been trying in vain to get a kill with one. I did get to slap a guy around with a fish I found in a barrel though. :coolfish: