Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Vandar posted:

Family Guy is low-hanging fruit but Meg is probably still the most persistent example of a buttmonkey.

drat, how could i forget meg?

mind the walrus posted:

Do you know what's aged really loving badly? Shrek and Shrek-adjacent things. Zoomers go to the mat for Shrek and get shocked when I mention that I think it's mediocre at best, but they're what marketers want to court now so in the past week we got like three separate examples of "Holding out for a Hero" in nerd poo poo and it's just like... come the gently caress on dudes. Please. No more. It's not funny. It wasn't funny the first time they did it. It's only ever been mildly amusing. Just stop it. Please.

i'm no fan of shrek and i agree with you overall, but in fairness, i did appreciate the series taking the piss out of the lame typical disney fairy tale tropes. felt that was definitely needed.

Cleretic posted:

I feel like the reason Spongebob managed that dynamic while something like Catdog didn't was for a couple reasons.
A: Squidward isn't strongly attached to the protagonist, either literally or figuratively. With Cat (or perhaps in a less literal example Lisa Simpson), you have to accommodate him into the narrative every single time, while if Squidward doesn't add anything to a story you can just not have Squidward there.

B: More in a general 'why did this one take off' sense, I think it's important to remember when exactly it came around. Spongebob happened in that weird era of children's cartoons when people were just doing weird, sometimes ugly artstyles because nobody else had done them before. A lot of those shows were... well, super ugly. Some made that work for their vibe and energy (Rugrats, Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy), some succeeded in spite of their look (As Told By Ginger), while some... really didn't (Angela Anaconda, Rocket Power). It was a big, weird wild west of people going 'there's no rule saying we can't look like this' and then many of them learning that, hey, maybe there's a reason we shouldn't.

And then suddenly, in the midst of all that, came Spongebob. Using the 'nobody can tell us we can't' to make a really off-the-wall aesthetic work for it, making a whole cast of colorful and marketable characters. It was a huge hit--and was exactly what Nickelodeon needed, because none of their other weirdo-aesthetic cartoons were landing nearly as well. So they pushed the hell out of it, and thankfully, Spongebob could handle the pressure.

also helps that unlike catdog, spongebob is actually, you know, funny and entertaining.

and maybe i'm misremembering of having had enough exposure to spongebob (i've watch a lot of the early seasons but missed out on more than half), but while poor squidward is an unfortunate victim of spongebob's antics, he doesn't get abused THAT badly relative to other buttmonkeys.

(though again i could be completely wrong off on that!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

fartknocker posted:

I haven’t kept up with the show, but when did that happen? For a long time, he was just a weird former East German skier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz7I1cgrjy4

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah the show had some classic Seth MacFarlane edgelord throwaways about "is Klaus a Nazi or not?" but by the 4th or 5th season it was very much "no, he's definitely not."

For the first 10+ seasons he definitely was.

Despite the lack of cutaways American Dad was always just as edgy/violent/gory and mean-spirited as Family Guy. Then the change of network added swearing, and it started making more and more callbacks to previous episodes since all the original writing staff had been replaced a few times over as that's what happens in American shows. MacFarlane was never a major presence in the writing of any of them, he's got a handful of episode writing credits over a few dozens seasons. His co-creators probably deserve far more of the praise/blame for the differences between the shows.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah I stopped watching American dad a bit ago but Claus was a Nazi was always pretty obvious. Maybe that changed but it was a thing for a long time.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

:stare:

What's the context for the first clip? Why is Francine kicking the girl out? Surely it's not for the obvious reason?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

American Dad already has an actually funny mascot character so the bad fish should get bent.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Vandar posted:

:stare:

What's the context for the first clip? Why is Francine kicking the girl out? Surely it's not for the obvious reason?
It's lame. It turns out she hates left-handed people because she was forced to be a righty as a child. American Dad is a lot better than Family Guy but often that's damning with faint praise. They do have legitimate highs though-- the Christmas specials in particular are a highlight.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah I stopped watching American dad a bit ago but Claus was a Nazi was always pretty obvious. Maybe that changed but it was a thing for a long time.
I really must be misremembering because I only remembered a handful of offhand jokes that didn't really take focus, but yeah the proof is right there. I was wrong.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kevin DuBrow posted:

His sister keeps wrecking his work out of ignorant curiosity and inability to not push large red buttons. She's actually quite protective and loving of him. There's even an episode that shows how in old age she's still the caretaker for a senile Dexter.
Yeah she's a jerk to him because she is just very enthusiastic, she doesn't dislike him in any way. It's a weird dynamic because they both suck in very different ways... which really is pretty true to life.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

It's lame. It turns out she hates left-handed people because she was forced to be a righty as a child. American Dad is a lot better than Family Guy but often that's damning with faint praise. They do have legitimate highs though-- the Christmas specials in particular are a highlight.

This and Futurama are the only show I can think of where I didn't think the holiday episodes actively suck balls

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

it's been a long time since i saw the early episodes of AD but i thought the entire purpose of him being a fish in the first place was some kind of punishment for being a captured nazi?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mr Interweb posted:

it's been a long time since i saw the early episodes of AD but i thought the entire purpose of him being a fish in the first place was some kind of punishment for being a captured nazi?

Nah, they just wanted East Germany to lose at skiing in the Olympics one year.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Kwyndig posted:

Nah, they just wanted East Germany to lose at skiing in the Olympics one year.

so why is he a fish?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Mr Interweb posted:

so why is he a fish?

First thing they had on hand to swap brains with.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Mr Interweb posted:

so why is he a fish?

I think it was the only body the CIA had available at the time.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

And they did that cause it was his punishment for losing a ski tournament?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Now that I know the fish's backstory, I'm more questioning how the fish is still alive. He's even old for a human, and I assume he's got goldfish biology.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Yeah and how is there an alien

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cleretic posted:

Now that I know the fish's backstory, I'm more questioning how the fish is still alive. He's even old for a human, and I assume he's got goldfish biology.

They don't really address this but nevertheless every couple of years they do a story where he gets switched out to something else with the idea that when it goes back to him being a fish it is a different body.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
SOMA but with gold fish.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Cleretic posted:

Goldfish should live 15-20 years maybe more, the show is on I think the 17th season, he's fine.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The oldest goldfish on record lived to age 50.

Amazing what will happen when you nurture an animal instead of forcing it to live in a tiny prison prison, drinking it's own piss and poo poo 24/7

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mr Interweb posted:

And they did that cause it was his punishment for losing a ski tournament?

No, he was a champion East German skiier that they didn't want winning the Olympic event, so they swapped his brain with a goldfish and never changed it back.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Cleretic posted:

Well, considering most Olympic athletes are relatively young when they compete (in their prime and all) so I'd say 20's and 30's would be average enough off the cuff. It would be fair to assume Klaus was within that range when he was turned into a fish, so a post-war baby. So, basically a mid-to-late generation 'Boomer', starting to get old now.

I haven't seen enough of the show to know how accurate CharlestheHammer is about it being obvious. but I wouldn't bank on it considering the established origin.

Picnic Princess posted:

The oldest goldfish on record lived to age 50.

Amazing what will happen when you nurture an animal instead of forcing it to live in a tiny prison prison, drinking it's own piss and poo poo 24/7

Some friends of mine put in a pond about twenty years ago with a pump and little waterfall to keep the circulation going. Aside from losing a couple to raccoons the first week before they realized they neglected to stretch mesh over it, the others have been happily getting larger ever since. It's relaxing to pull up a chair and watch 'em swim, and to see how much they've grown since we first released them back then.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

We used to have a few koi and big goldfish in a pond, and they were just the chillest big lumps ever. They'd come to get handfed snacks, and sometimes in spring, the boys would get too rowdy and jump right out of the pond on to the bank.

They'd just lie there until one of us noticed and came running out to throw them back in, and then they'd swim off, happy as ever. One of the goldfish got grabbed by a cat once, but we found him before he was killed. He miraculously healed up perfectly after a trip to the vets for antibiotics, he lived for at least another 10 years - very scarred but otherwise healthy.
We called him Claude btw.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Pookah posted:

We used to have a few koi and big goldfish in a pond, and they were just the chillest big lumps ever. They'd come to get handfed snacks, and sometimes in spring, the boys would get too rowdy and jump right out of the pond on to the bank.

They'd just lie there until one of us noticed and came running out to throw them back in, and then they'd swim off, happy as ever. One of the goldfish got grabbed by a cat once, but we found him before he was killed. He miraculously healed up perfectly after a trip to the vets for antibiotics, he lived for at least another 10 years - very scarred but otherwise healthy.
We called him Claude btw.

My brother is a scaffolder and one day at work he found a goldish in a puddle on the ground. Fish was about three inches long. He brought it home in his lunchbox and we put it in the aquarium and when we gave it away ten years later it was still going strong, had grown to about eight inches. Just a basic normal goldfish, not a froofy one. Once it got stuck in a tunnel thing and we had to break that open so it could get out. That fish was sturdy as hell.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

yeah goldfish basically only die like they do because so many people go "i can keep this in a bowl" this can get huge

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/02/13/man-catches-20-pound-goldfish-kentucky-using-leftover-biscuit/2857138002/

edit: may not actually be a goldfish

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Koi are even more nuts, supposedly the record is 226 years https://www.fishlaboratory.com/fish/koi-hanako-longest-living-fish-ever

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The whole buttmonkey thing going out of fashion might also be because a lot of writers having grown up dealing with normalised bullying and abuse don't find it nearly as funny, on top of a few shows having run the idea so thoroughly into the ground that there's not really anywhere left to go with it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There’s about a 30-year gap between representation of childhood in media and the nature of media, so there’s definitely something to that. Remember that the things you grew up watching were written by boomers remembering the 60s.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm suddenly reminded of Stephen King 50s/80s bullies and how they're always pulling literal switchblades and seriously physically harming the kids, and that would explain a lot-- Boomers only recognizing bullying as hardcore physical abuse is very on-brand for them.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Late-season Klaus rules because instead of "boring voice of reason"/German stereotypes/nazi jokes he's now "Florida bro but a german goldfish"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArQX7GwvCp0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9Kf1RUHLxE

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

I'm suddenly reminded of Stephen King 50s/80s bullies and how they're always pulling literal switchblades and seriously physically harming the kids, and that would explain a lot-- Boomers only recognizing bullying as hardcore physical abuse is very on-brand for them.

This 100%
King is totally on the money with how violent and animalistic bullying was pre internet. You haven't known true fear until you see the full whites of someone's eyes when they enter chimpanzee mode on you. You learned that it was your state-approved punishment for being... whatever it was that set the bullies off.

Even well into the 90's violence of all kinds was just shrugged off in school. I genuinely have no idea what the line was that would get attention from the teachers. One time a heavily bullied kid shot himself on the steps of the school close to mine, where they found his body on the front doorstep the following morning. I remember a boomer teacher of mine saying, "That's God's way of weeding out the weak ones."

I mean, what the gently caress was the line for them?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

I have a feeling that stuff is historically accurate for the 1950s, at least for the kind of place where King grew up. That and the wild cartoonish racism with 10,000 exotic slurs I’ve never seen anywhere else.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I have a feeling that stuff is historically accurate for the 1950s, at least for the kind of place where King grew up. That and the wild cartoonish racism with 10,000 exotic slurs I’ve never seen anywhere else.

Oh yeah I wasn't disputing the accuracy at all, just noting that it would explain a lot for why Boomers were genuinely blind to things like verbal/emotional abuse until the violence in schools got toned down a few notches.

Plethora posted:

Even well into the 90's violence of all kinds was just shrugged off in school. I genuinely have no idea what the line was that would get attention from the teachers. One time a heavily bullied kid shot himself on the steps of the school close to mine, where they found his body on the front doorstep the following morning. I remember a boomer teacher of mine saying, "That's God's way of weeding out the weak ones."

I mean, what the gently caress was the line for them?

This is an awkward time to remind you that the Eugenics movement and a lot of the "Social Darwinism" nonsense that the Nazis loved was homegrown American horseshit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And these were the people who'd grow up to say that the cities are dangerous and violent and genuinely worry their kids won't come back alive from them.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

That and the wild cartoonish racism with 10,000 exotic slurs I’ve never seen anywhere else.

Yeah, speaking of…I’m actually reading Mr. Mercedes right now and…woof. Another staple of Mr. King’s works that don’t sit well at all are his constant attempts at “good” racism. Every likeable black character seems to have to happily engage in ironic, self-deprecating slurs and horrible attempts at outdated patois. It’s honestly difficult to read now.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, speaking of…I’m actually reading Mr. Mercedes right now and…woof. Another staple of Mr. King’s works that don’t sit well at all are his constant attempts at “good” racism. Every likeable black character seems to have to happily engage in ironic, self-deprecating slurs and horrible attempts at outdated patois. It’s honestly difficult to read now.

and that poo poo was published in 2014 goddamn

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

mind the walrus posted:

and that poo poo was published in 2014 goddamn

Yeah, but it’s a constant theme in a lot of his works. I remember reading IT when I was a kid and thinking how cool the characters were for having that easy camaraderie where they could rib each other like that. Fortunately, I grew out of it, but it looks like ol’ Steve-o never did.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

This is an awkward time to remind you that the Eugenics movement and a lot of the "Social Darwinism" nonsense that the Nazis loved was homegrown American horseshit.

Eugenics and social darwinism were concepts the entire western world was crowing about. You can throw a stone at basically any major historical figure circa 1880s to the 1920s and they probably were supporters of eugenics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ishikabibble posted:

Eugenics and social darwinism were concepts the entire western world was crowing about. You can throw a stone at basically any major historical figure circa 1880s to the 1920s and they probably were supporters of eugenics.

not to touch poop but literally today there was a person probed for saying that there was a "rape gene" passed on by rapists.

The social darwinist movement went along hand in hand with the Social Gospel movement in the late 19th century. For alot of people, it was about helping people. For others, they're taking it to the extreme of "criminals are outbreeding us which leads to more crime."