Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Mason Dixon posted:

Even though an asylum run often takes noticeably longer, I find high school the most tedious. The long walk from the truck to any of the entrances and back is the biggest offender for me (there's no suspense since nothing can happen outside), at least with asylum you're right there at the entrance. Maybe this is less a problem for big groups, but it's really annoying for solo play if I have to make several trips for equipment. High school also has arguably the biggest death trap if you get really unlucky with a gym ghost. And asylum has the cool echo to help distract me from long treks.

Otherwise, yeah, farmhouses > small houses > prison > high school/asylum.

it just sucks rear end moving so slowly in the big maps. i get that its for balance, but man i hope they can eventually come up with a different method than the artificially slow character movement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm actually working on a tongue-in-cheek GAAAAAME THEORY idea on why everyone moves so slowly and if they change that I'm going to have to start over from scratch lol

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
does it have to do with 'CAN'T RUN' as one of the things the ghosts can write in the notebook?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

even if they just made it so you moved slow during hunts or something and let the players move faster in between. cause it just sucks rear end when you forget something in the truck on prison or asylum or whatever and its literally a multiple minute walk back

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

The main reason I heard other than for game balance (don't know if this is accurate or not) for the slow movement was because moving much faster in VR would be bad news.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
ooh it didn't before but now I'm going to try and incorporate it

Right now the basic idea is that the world is clearly our world, but seems to have very recently diverged, and ghosts are a relatively new phenomenon that people are still learning to deal with, and one of the things people have learned is that moving too fast or erratically is likely to attract ghost attention or piss them off, so everyone (ghost hunters especially) have learned to move at that maximum speed.

It could be cool if that was canon because mechanically they could add a sprint button that you could use sometimes, but that would have a high chance of attracting the ghost to your location and maybe even starting a hunt

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Did they patch the omni directional microphone at some point to make it worth something? I just remember many wasted hours of roaming the halls at High School chasing after a phantom noise only to have the ghost be all the way across the map.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Bioshuffle posted:

Did they patch the omni directional microphone at some point to make it worth something? I just remember many wasted hours of roaming the halls at High School chasing after a phantom noise only to have the ghost be all the way across the map.

It's very useful yeah. It can trick you if the ghost makes a sound directly to your sides because it can sense stuff 90 degrees to either side of you within, I think, 2.5 to 3 meters. It also now has a 30 meter range. But yeah it's mandatory first-entry equipment for my partner and I on the medium+ maps.

It's also pretty reliable as long as the ghost makes sounds for the mic to pick up, which we've had overall very good luck with. Rarely the ghost will be very very quiet and we'll have to do a second pass on areas we've already investigated (at which point I'll start using the thermometer to doublecheck suspicious rooms), but the mic's cut our medium+ map times down to sub-25:00 pretty consistently, and we're often in the 15:00-20:00 range depending on the optional objectives.

The biggest caveat I've seen with the mic is that anything below 1.0 (especially .6 and under) tends to be a red herring. IIRC Psycho's video says that ghost footsteps are .2, and the mic value is additive, so it's probably the ghost out for a wander or messing with you and taking a few steps. I have literally never once yet found any mic values of <1.0 to correlate to the ghost room location, only values 1 and higher.

If you get a reading, sweep around slowly and confirm the direction if you can, you usually get a short window where the sound is active to do this. If you get a reading but lose it quickly, be sure to check your sides and behind you. I once got screwed hard because I didn't realize the mic could pick up stuff to my sides/slightly behind, and I thought I was getting strong sound readings pointing at the boys locker room in the high school. Turns out my back was against the classroom across the way, and when we were setting up in the locker room and a hunt started, I tried to run into the classroom to hide and died instantly. I entered the classroom, noticed my breath (freezing temps), and saw the ghost flash exactly once, then I got the friendly hug.

e: here's our record 100% times for the bigger maps using the mic sweeps on first entry (my partner keeps track of these):

High school - 14:25
Prison - 15:02
Asylum: 17:19

e2: jfc I wrote all those words and only just realized you probably meant the sound sensors (omni directional). Yeah those are basically useless. The only time ever used them was once in Asylum when we just flat could not find any sign of the ghost, so I placed one in each wing on each floor and went back to the truck to see if any of them triggered. It DID help but it's definitely not a primary or even secondary strategy I'd recommend.

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 18, 2021

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

It's very useful yeah. It can trick you if the ghost makes a sound directly to your sides because it can sense stuff 90 degrees to either side of you within, I think, 2.5 to 3 meters. It also now has a 30 meter range. But yeah it's mandatory first-entry equipment for my partner and I on the medium+ maps.

It's also pretty reliable as long as the ghost makes sounds for the mic to pick up, which we've had overall very good luck with. Rarely the ghost will be very very quiet and we'll have to do a second pass on areas we've already investigated (at which point I'll start using the thermometer to doublecheck suspicious rooms), but the mic's cut our medium+ map times down to sub-25:00 pretty consistently, and we're often in the 15:00-20:00 range depending on the optional objectives.

The biggest caveat I've seen with the mic is that anything below 1.0 (especially .6 and under) tends to be a red herring. IIRC Psycho's video says that ghost footsteps are .2, and the mic value is additive, so it's probably the ghost out for a wander or messing with you and taking a few steps. I have literally never once yet found any mic values of <1.0 to correlate to the ghost room location, only values 1 and higher.

If you get a reading, sweep around slowly and confirm the direction if you can, you usually get a short window where the sound is active to do this. If you get a reading but lose it quickly, be sure to check your sides and behind you. I once got screwed hard because I didn't realize the mic could pick up stuff to my sides/slightly behind, and I thought I was getting strong sound readings pointing at the boys locker room in the high school. Turns out my back was against the classroom across the way, and when we were setting up in the locker room and a hunt started, I tried to run into the classroom to hide and died instantly. I entered the classroom, noticed my breath (freezing temps), and saw the ghost flash exactly once, then I got the friendly hug.

e: here's our record 100% times for the bigger maps using the mic sweeps on first entry (my partner keeps track of these):

High school - 14:25
Prison - 15:02
Asylum: 17:19

e2: jfc I wrote all those words and only just realized you probably meant the sound sensors (omni directional). Yeah those are basically useless. The only time ever used them was once in Asylum when we just flat could not find any sign of the ghost, so I placed one in each wing on each floor and went back to the truck to see if any of them triggered. It DID help but it's definitely not a primary or even secondary strategy I'd recommend.

Man, I really need to play with you some time.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Man, I really need to play with you some time.

I'm down! PM sent.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

We do pretty regular games on the Co-op goons discord, game is such a blast. The new ghost types are fascinating, we just got out first Yokai encounter tonight and it gets aggressive when you talk around it. It started chunking our crucifixes at 65% average sanity.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

I played the Willow house last night with friends, but the level kept crashing and sending us back to lobby about 10 minutes into it. It was fun, great little house! I think this is a sign that maybe Phas is becoming more popular. I just hope they can keep up with the demand on their server(s).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm down! PM sent.

Have we played together? If not I think I’d like to!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I've been pretty busy the past week but I'm always down! I see you don't have PMs, are you on the discord? If not I can just post my steam tag here or something

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
The new map seems a bit...crashy.

We are getting disconnected from client messages about 15-20m in.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I've been pretty busy the past week but I'm always down! I see you don't have PMs, are you on the discord? If not I can just post my steam tag here or something

If you mean me, I definitely have PMs

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHTOetcQxfc

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Was this you? I hope that wasn't you, cause that guy was an rear end.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
lmao nah, that was DanielSL/DNSL, he's got a couple youtube channels. He trolls, and I think he's hilarious.

I don't play like him if that's what you're worried about lol

Speaking of, my folks were in town for a few weeks but now they're gone and I should be free to play some time soon :)

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

lmao nah, that was DanielSL/DNSL, he's got a couple youtube channels. He trolls, and I think he's hilarious.

I don't play like him if that's what you're worried about lol

Speaking of, my folks were in town for a few weeks but now they're gone and I should be free to play some time soon :)

Sweeet! I didn't want to bother cause I know life gets in the way. Hit me up if you're on this weekend!

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Trello has a new card up about an August Update, so hopefully we see something soon! New evidence type, some model and other visual updates, sprinting updates (!?), and *REDACTED*, so possibly another new map or something? Also, their twitter has some pics of some of the model updates, and the poo poo rear end basic flashlight looks appropriately poo poo and rear end. I'd repost the pics, but mobile and... :effort:

That said, some of the level textures in the new stuff they posted looked a little nicer than it did before. What a difference having an actual artist does

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Wow I'm glad you mentioned their Twitter because taking a look was super worth it! It looks like they'll be updating the video camera to a new model, and doing the one thing I'd hoped they'd do with it--make it so you can see the infrared view on the tiny screen in place of using a flashlight.

Useful AND terrifying!

https://twitter.com/KineticGame/status/1422887507998433283

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Wow I'm glad you mentioned their Twitter because taking a look was super worth it! It looks like they'll be updating the video camera to a new model, and doing the one thing I'd hoped they'd do with it--make it so you can see the infrared view on the tiny screen in place of using a flashlight.

Useful AND terrifying!

https://twitter.com/KineticGame/status/1422887507998433283

That's loving awesome

Can't wait to see some scary-rear end spookums poppin up on the camera

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

August Update got moved to the Testing panel. Looks like the REDACTED was two new ghost types. On Twitter, they've added some kind of... lightsaber looking doodad?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

mercenarynuker posted:

August Update got moved to the Testing panel. Looks like the REDACTED was two new ghost types. On Twitter, they've added some kind of... lightsaber looking doodad?

That looked like one of those compact flashlights with the power button on the end.

https://twitter.com/KineticGame/status/1427269307357147141

Could be the new UV flashlight maybe?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

That's my guess. I feel like there was some mention somewhere of them adding a laser grid projector but the smaller versions of those look more like laser pointers than flashlights

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Oh man I'm pretty hyped now. I'd be down for two new evidence types but it'd also be real cool if it was some kind of defense measure in a hunt.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Lmao my partner just said "that is an artificial vagina"

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Evil Kit posted:

Oh man I'm pretty hyped now. I'd be down for two new evidence types but it'd also be real cool if it was some kind of defense measure in a hunt.

They should make the lovely trail cams do this.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Could do something with sound muting. It's a clicker, and if the click is muted or a lot quieter, could be spooks about!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

A very substantial update just dropped: https://game-updates.info/phasmophobia?108

I'm super curious about how some things will change how the game plays (spoilered some of the updates for those who want to go in blind):

I haven't played it yet but the change to the ghost only affecting lights/equipment in range during hunts seems like it's intended to make it more likely you wont know a hunt is happening, if I'm understanding that update correctly. I wonder if it will encourage players to have one person in the van more frequently to monitor the activity or something. That, plus the reduced delay before hunts and the change to sprinting, feel like they're actively trying to make the game more dangerous. Between that and the new gear & ghost types, I'm excited to try it! That link doesn't detail what the new ghosts do, though I think that was teased somewhere on the twitter or discord already.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

A very substantial update just dropped: https://game-updates.info/phasmophobia?108

I'm super curious about how some things will change how the game plays (spoilered some of the updates for those who want to go in blind):

I haven't played it yet but the change to the ghost only affecting lights/equipment in range during hunts seems like it's intended to make it more likely you wont know a hunt is happening, if I'm understanding that update correctly. I wonder if it will encourage players to have one person in the van more frequently to monitor the activity or something. That, plus the reduced delay before hunts and the change to sprinting, feel like they're actively trying to make the game more dangerous. Between that and the new gear & ghost types, I'm excited to try it! That link doesn't detail what the new ghosts do, though I think that was teased somewhere on the twitter or discord already.

All of this sounds rad as hell. My crew and I love this game but we've gotten so good at it that the ghosts actively fear us. [i] It would nice to feel a little more Shaggy/Scooby about the g-g-g-[i]ghosts again

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Pretty sure I broke my quest's right controller trigger trying to get my journal out not knowing you can only do it with the left hand now. Its making creaking noised in I press the trigger now. oof

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I played a few contracts on Professional last night and, uh, the game seems hard again! I think we had some weird bugs that contributed to the difficulty but even when stuff seemed to be working as expected, we had people dying more frequently than normal. So that's good, I suppose! We definitely had to be more on our toes and pay more attention than we have.

One heads-up if you're going to give the update a spin: the new piece of equipment is pretty unforgiving when it comes to getting evidence. It's possible to see the effect with the naked eye when you're in the room with it, but it's usually very fast and very subtle. It seems like it's a little easier to catch on cameras with night vision, and there's a change to the camcorders that make that less off a hassle (it's probably low-key our favorite thing in the update).

I have a feeling they'll patch the new piece of equipment to make it easier to see when it works, it seems like it's a common issue and there are a few streamers and phasmo video guide people who have already commented on it being hard as hell to use successfully.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Only had time for one Pro job last night (phantom in Bleasedale), but I'm really liking most of the changes. The hunt changes make things way scarier. Nicely improved graphics and sounds (the new noises during hunts are creepy). It took forever to figure out how to use the D.O.T.S. projector, though once I started looking through the video camera I got the evidence reasonably quickly. The few things I don't like are the new spirit box voice (sounds like someone trying way too hard to do spooky ASMR), not being able to drop the book upright anymore so I could use the video camera to check for writing from the truck, and the gasping after sprint time ends (it's fine on its own, but I'm already tired of hearing it since why wouldn't I sprint all the time).

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

It's finally official, as of this update I've finally died to a ghost hunt. The immortal man is dead, long live the mortal man.

General impressions after a lot of runs the other days with goons:

the visual updates are :discourse:

DOTS system is cool but loving impossible to try and get. We encountered a number of ghost types that require it and we never once got a chance to actually see the DOTS evidence. The dev explanation from the discord we found was equally baffling. Needs some tweaks on how it functions.

Ghost hunts are mean now. 3 second start up, the ghost is invisible during the start up, and having a flashlight on is no longer a guaranteed way of noticing it start. The reason I (finally!) died was because I was genuinely confused as to what was going on when the hunt started, thinking it was just another ghost event. Also don't have the practice of turning off your flashlight now so the ghost can't follow you easily during a hunt ingrained yet, that was also another reason I died.

Ghost Writing, even after the hotfix, seems extremely buggy and never seems to happen for ghost types that require it. Not sure why, hopefully they isolate a fix soon.

Somewhat relatedly every single ghost type (aside from the two brand new ones) has most or all of its evidence types changed up. Having to relearn each one feels kinda fresh and a mix-up!

Very relatedly, I am now terrified of Freezing Temperatures. Revenants :ohdear:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

FWIW the update from today makes DOTS evidence easier to see. I still wouldn't call it easy, but at least closer to orbs, in the sense that if you just hang out and watch, you will see them eventually. They're significantly easier to see in night vision, I think.

Also hunt delay is up to 4 secs now, and the ghost will affect electronics on other floors, which is good

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
The change up to the evidence for each ghost type makes me wonder if randomized evidence types for each contract would keep things fresh, or if it would just be annoying to deal with.

I haven't played in a long time but this update seems really exciting!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Evil Kit posted:

Very relatedly, I am now terrified of Freezing Temperatures. Revenants :ohdear:

Kit: I've got good news and bad news..

Me: It's not a revenant, riiight? Can we leave now? We can go now, it's fine...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Did our first matches, running around a small house on amateur just so we could kind of figure out the new equipment and how some of the old stuff was changed. Camera was REAL nice. Spirit box is now kind of confusing. Then again, we didn't have a ghost that responded to it, so maybe it's more clear if that's the case?
Also, dot projector and camera was SUPER loving freaky! Spooky rear end ghost body flying at mach one through the hallways, and not even corresponding to the drat motion detectors!

Related: did they turn up the general activity level of the ghosts? They seemed a lot more active on the two maps we ran