Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I’m more ready

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Metro Exodus. It's a good game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Now that I can have a computer that could run Volga above 30 FPS I should play this again even if it isn’t the ray tracing version.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I skipped the original version and I'm not trying the Enhanced Edition for the first time. First impressions are poor.

There's some severe ghosting after my gun when I move it. I thought it was from DLSS, but it's there even after I disable it. Prolly another form of TAA that's always active.
I can't take screenshots with Steam or print screen for whatever reason, googling revealed it to be common issue. I can only use those tools when I got Steam overlay up. :shrug: Edit: same with system volume control...
Game launches at 1920x1200 resolution while insisting in the options menu that it's at my native 1440p res. I have to alt tab out and back to make it run at the native res. Somehow that mode is heavier on my GPU than native resolution.
I had to do some config file editing to get rid of mouse smoothing or w/e is going on with their mouse input (exact same issue was in previous games too, what a joke for a developer so highly regarded for their PC expertise).
And the FOV slider doesn't have any numbers, just a blind slider.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 12, 2021

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Had to reach way back to dig this thread up, but anyway the consoles just got the Enhanced Edition with Ray Traced Global Illumination at 60FPS.

It's extremely good. DF did a great video on it but I've been doing some quick comparisons against some Let's Plays with the original lighting and it makes such a difference.

Resolution took a hit but I'll take that tradeoff any day to get 60FPS and RT/GI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQPT4MTOvS4

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:toot: installing now. Can't wait.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

veni veni veni posted:

:toot: installing now. Can't wait.

>:|

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You get a whole week to anticipate it so it will be that much better when your Ps5 gets out of purgatory.

Been playing it for a bit and its a HUGE upgrade, goddamn. Just looks so good. Everything feels more tweaked and polished.

Characters still talk over each other though lol.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

So the fun thing about RT global illumination in this game is that you have the ability to turn off most lights manually. my new hobby is going into a room with no windows and manually shutting of every light source I can find to see how dark I can make it.

There are still a few vestiges of the old lighting system here and there, with some objects being lit that don't make sense. But overall, places get SUPER dark and you really can't even see your way around them at all without a flashlight. It's so cool that this game can create such dark shadows dynamically. Mixed with an OLED, it's just :aaaaa:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Also how sensibly most of the desert is VERY BRIGHT now, not suddenly dark two steps away from a door. I really enjoyed replaying it on PC, except for the loving caspian which can still eat my rear end.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm still trucking along going through things and something I really appreciate compared to virtually every video game - enemies will sometimes give up instead of suicidally fighting to the last man, so I can stealth, gently caress up, kill a few people, ruminate on the lives it cost to take those lives, and the others will go "gently caress this you win".

Also Anna's hair is still gray for me, for whatever reason. I think the lighting is loving up.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Man these games are so good, but I don’t know a single person irl that would like them aside from myself.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The controls in this version are massively improved, at least compared to at launch. Not sure if that's new or something that was done a long time ago. It's still very weighty but they don't feel clunky anymore. At launch and with previous games it very much felt like "PC dev does console controls" ala Arkane etc.

For all of the tech enhancements I'm surprised at how little was done to the actual game content. Those spitting shrimp are still just as annoying as ever and the catfish still kind of moves around all glitchy. I'm surprised they didn't polish that stuff a bit, but whatever.

Overall I am very impressed with this port and wow what a great thing to offer everyone for free. Aside from some textures visibly loading in once in a while and some assets looking a little rough it really feels like a proper PS5 game vs just some rushed update. They even did a pretty good job with the dualsense even if it's not to the level of like, a Sony first party game. They nailed the adaptive trigger support. The haptic support is pretty meh though. It's mostly just basic rumble with a few little things added. I'd have loved to feel like rain like in Astro bot and returnal. Very small gripes though. The lighting is awesome and actually adds a lot. the game can get pitch black, but not in a bad way. It feels much more natural and you always have the flashlight or lamps at your disposal so it's just another little thing to add even more immersion, which is what the series is all about. No more greydark I love it.

Couple things I noticed in this playthrough. drat I feel kind of bad for going absolutely ham on the cultists in the first playthrough. They are harmless dorks and do not need to be killed at all. I sort of figured it out the first time I played but not until I ran into the laid back chill ones out in the boonies that drink with you and give you supplies.

Also I remember volga being hard as gently caress, even on normal...and I am playing on hardcore this time and it's mostly really easy. Almost nothing outright attacks you except the shrimp and zombies. I remember struggling with the packs of howling things, but they don't even bother you unless you push up into their territory. I'm actually wishing I did ranger hardcore now. I don't think I want to deal with that bear fight on RH though lol. That poo poo was annoying as hell on normal.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 19, 2021

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I hosed that bear up on ranger hardcore because I knew it was coming up this time around. I think it follows the “enemies take more damage also” logic that most enemies do but not 100% sure. Still took more than a few molotovs.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does anyone know if I switch to ranger hardcore now (I’m still in Volga) and play the rest of the game in that mode, then replay the intro and Volga in RH from the chapter select afterwards, if I will still get the trophy (I’m sure it’s the same for PC/Xbox achievements) or do I need to start a fresh run for the trophy?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh wait you can’t even switch to it nm…

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Who cares about trophies

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

omg chael crash posted:

Who cares about trophies

Yeah, only Cheevos matter

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I don't recommend ranger hardcore. it removes your ability to save anywhere which means you have to rely on the autosave. except sometimes the game will autosave every 30 seconds, and sometimes it will not autosave for 30 minutes, making you go out of your way to find a bed to sleep in if you don't want to risk losing 30 minutes. Also, unlike the other metro games, it doesn't seem to have any effect on how fragile enemies are, only you. I never noticed enemies taking any fewer shots to kill on exodus' ranger hardcore compared to hardcore. It was disappointing compared to metro 2033 ranger mode.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

omg chael crash posted:

Who cares about trophies

Spoken like a man who only has a switch to play on

I'm sorry I shouldn't be mocking you in this time of pain :v:

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I don't recommend ranger hardcore. it removes your ability to save anywhere which means you have to rely on the autosave. except sometimes the game will autosave every 30 seconds, and sometimes it will not autosave for 30 minutes, making you go out of your way to find a bed to sleep in if you don't want to risk losing 30 minutes. Also, unlike the other metro games, it doesn't seem to have any effect on how fragile enemies are, only you. I never noticed enemies taking any fewer shots to kill on exodus' ranger hardcore compared to hardcore. It was disappointing compared to metro 2033 ranger mode.

Ah, maybe I'll skip it then. Hardcore feels like the right difficulty anyways. I played it on normal the first time and after volga you just get pretty op after some good attachment unlocks.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 19, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I basically just restarted to enjoy the improved graphics and lmao I just stole the teddy bear from a demon and action jackson'd it down a zipline. Sorry buddy mine now :v:

I broke my legs on a jump after that though so the karma caught up

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like how entire interactions can change depending on whether or not you think to holster your gun before approaching someone.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

veni veni veni posted:

I like how entire interactions can change depending on whether or not you think to holster your gun before approaching someone.

Yeah, some villagers appreciated that this lovely heretic kept his light off and gun away

The bandits didn't though

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I was playing on hardcore, but knocked it down to normal after I realized I wasn't doing much exploring because I was trying not to die. Now I'm just a super-deadly predator who stalks the dark and headshots people, it's great.

Still spending a ton of time gawking at the ray tracing. This game can get realistically dark like no other game I've played. It's the first time "hiding in the dark" felt convincing, because it's literally pitch black in here.

One interesting thing I've noticed is that it seems like occasional vestiges of the old lighting system are still around. Sometimes you'll get a weird glare from something that isn't there, or the odd object will "glow" unnaturally. not too common and not a big deal, but everything else is so accurate that a "phantom glare" can really stick out.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think Volga is one of my favorite locations in any game. It's just so dense with stuff to find and that mission to get the rail car is one of my favorites.

I wish more open games were paced like this. Where getting anywhere is sort of pain in the rear end and you really have to prepare and play smart to get around. Looking forward to Stalker 2.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
in the enhanced edition, do your automatic weapons still turn into bolt action rifles if you shoot more than one magazine or fall into an ankle deep puddle

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Puddle yes, but I’ve about run through a couple mags on a well outfitted regular kalash and not had a problem.

Other guns ymmv

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

drkeiscool posted:

in the enhanced edition, do your automatic weapons still turn into bolt action rifles if you shoot more than one magazine or fall into an ankle deep puddle

I walked out of a safehouse, got jumped by a bunch of mutants, and had to clean the kalash again immediately. Then I had to shoot a bunch of shrimp and had to turn the boat around

So yes p much

e: I know the customization makes up for it but it's a little weird how few different guns are in the game incidentally. I'm pretty much just using an AK equipped for short range, a long range silenced revolver because this is Metro, and the Tikhar for whatever

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I never had a gun break on me.
Maybe because I was paranoid about conserving ammo?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They definitely degrade quicker on hardcore and I have had them jam a couple of times already which basically never happened on normal.

Tbh I like the mechanic but I think they degrade too fast. It should be something you have to consider and maybe tend to every hour or two, not after a couple of firefights or falling in a lake. Supplies are so plentiful it's not really a big deal it's just sort of frustrating when I'm like "jfc I just cleaned this thing and its already covered in engine grease"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I have never had them jam on me if I hadn't fallen face first in mud or waded through radioactive sludge first.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol Yamantau's intro is pretty hosed up. The worst part is you know exactly what's going to happen when you go back into the metro tunnel :v:

Also I appreciate that your gun seemingly can't get dirty in here

e: I do wish I didn't know in advance there were two endings if only because it keeps making me antsy if I've hosed something up lmao. In general I think they should've ditched that trick after 2033 though

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 21, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Good ending is very easy to get if you err on the side of not murdering characters in a moral gray area too much. I wasn't trying for any sort of ending and got the good ending just by playing normally. And I killed a bunch of them on my first playthrough. I'm letting way more dudes live this time around. Go to town on bandits, slavers, cannibals or whatever they don't affect anything. It's stuff like cultists or the boat traders, and similar enemies in the later game you want to avoid going salted earth on.

E: that said, still watch the bad ending on youtube or something because it's bonkers.

Unrelated, but Krest is the best character. I have developed a new appreciation for him this play through. All of his dialog is great and he always knows what's up. I am pretty sure he is the smartest person in their little crew.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 22, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao the devs played Avalanche's Mad Max I see

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Metro Last Light is the game that has the most restrictive requirements for the good ending. In 2033 it mostly consisted of finding little secrets or listening to conversations before shooting someone and that’s something which came naturally to me.

Exodus is mostly about what kind of people you’re shooting.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol demons aren't poo poo now that Artyom is the Firebringer

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Good: The game just hands you a gatling, points you at slavers, and tells you to have fun, this one's on us
Bad: The gatling sucks. I still had fun burning them out though

e: Lol what is this forest. The bear was pretty easy, but are explosive bolts bugged? They don't do anything different than normal ones. Molotovs set it on fire at least. Also, Miller's p good with those prosthetics. I think once I wrap up I'm going to go back through 2033 and LL Redux; I never got the good ending in LL so may as well go for it!

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 24, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Not that I would, but is there a scenario where you can give Giul to the baron? She always just pops out and and wastes dudes when he makes the offer for me, but I’ve never played with bad karma.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Something I never noticed. you can identify who some of the corpses lying around are in the Miller parts of two colonels in the flashback parts and see them when they are still alive. :drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Spoilers for Bad End of Volga in case someone hasn't played the game yet: How many armed, hostile cultists can I kill assuming I am kind and good two shoes outside of the church and bridge areas? I'm not sure if killing those people in those areas is active bad points.