Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

DominoKitten posted:

Columbus wasn’t a genius, he was a cruel and greedy get rich invader who fomented genocide through spreading disease and enslavement.

quote:

Born Carl Edward Sagan
November 9, 1934
Brooklyn, New York, U.S.

Died December 20, 1996 (aged 62)
Seattle, Washington, U.S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
bitcoin is amazing, it is good and just and will inevitably take over the world. i was smart enough to put a lot of money in early so in the new world order i will be a king of kings

...but....

there's a few guys in this dead gay comedy forum that laugh at it....

how can i sit idly by?!?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/bigmagicdao/status/1406181039265902592

https://twitter.com/bigmagicdao/status/1406280613225660419

https://twitter.com/gsuberland/status/1406336933748482052

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 20, 2021

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Can someone explain the audio overlayed on this please? I think I skipped that anime.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
so how many people knew Bernie Madoff's long running scheme was a ponzi, or was probably a ponzi, but "invested" anyways

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

SubG posted:

the only way bitcoin can fail is if the hashrate goes down

*20% of the hashrate evaporates*

i didn't mean today

Starting Now!!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
When bitcoin is finally dead, I shall feast on its breathless body and absorb its powers: being slow and dumb, and adored by idiots.

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose

Mercury_Storm posted:

so how many people knew Bernie Madoff's long running scheme was a ponzi, or was probably a ponzi, but "invested" anyways

mate there was a scam on the butt forums literally called honest ponzi and they lined up to pile in their hard earned money wife's inheritance

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

is it finally ron paul happening, i hope its finally ron paul happening

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
just one?
i'm sure there's been dozens of automatic smart-contract ponzis by now since any moron can just copy-paste the last one

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Here's hoping they all move to texas. I could use more republican mismanagement comedl

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Antlerhill posted:

mate there was a scam on the butt forums literally called honest ponzi and they lined up to pile in their hard earned money wife's inheritance

would be kind of an interesting experiment to just like, make a completely transparent ponzi scheme where everyone can see all the variables and fully understand how it works and that beyond a certain point it's going to implode, then see how long it keeps going before it implodes and where that psychological break-even point is

not with actual money or anything of real value though that'd suck. maybe imaginary videogame hats or something?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Mercury_Storm posted:

as far as I've ever seen, the investors at the edge of the scheme were not investing sophisticates and left the decisions to wealth managers. There's no way the managers who dealt with Madoff directly didn't suspect.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

i was gonna quote specific things but basically this whole article is just unintentionally hilarious, thank u Daniel Brain.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Shame Boy posted:

would be kind of an interesting experiment to just like, make a completely transparent ponzi scheme where everyone can see all the variables and fully understand how it works and that beyond a certain point it's going to implode, then see how long it keeps going before it implodes and where that psychological break-even point is

not with actual money or anything of real value though that'd suck. maybe imaginary videogame hats or something?

https://old.reddit.com/r/Buttcoin/comments/7sws4d/ladies_and_gentlemen_i_have_an_innovative_idea/

Cthulhooo posted:

I present you the Hellcoin (HELL). What is Hellcoin you may ask? Well the idea is extremely simple yet innovative. It’s a reverse Ponzi scheme. It rewards latecomers (instead of early investors and founder like in regular Ponzi schemes) and does not collapse from unsustainable growth but instead snowballs into an ever growing black hole indefinitely. It’s like a chicken game on the blockchain. Don’t believe me? Here are the parameters:
The founder stars by depositing crypto in a smart contract. Let’s say he starts by depositing $100 worth of ETH into HELL. This is the initial prize. New investors can start to put their money in now. After new investor puts their money in the timer is set to 72 hours. If no one puts any new money in that timeframe the last 100 contributors (not counting founder) get all the money from the contract proportionally to their contribution. In theory it takes one daring guy to put a single cent (minimal contribution) to get the whole 100 bucks for free. Of course if the system has any money in it there will always be another smartass that will put 1 cent too just to get a part of that cake. If someone new enters the timer is reset again to 72 hours. So in this example we have 2 smartasses who paid 1 cent to get about 50 bucks or more specifically 100.02/2 so 50 dollars and 1 cent. Nice gains. Obviously more will follow (share this on /biz/ and you will have as many “investors” as ponzicoin easily).
Nothing stops you from putting more than 1 cent of course. Like 1 dollar or 10 dollars. You will always be rewarded accordingly for your contribution counting the total pool provided by the last 100 investors. You can compete with others. You can also outsmart them and create 100 orders for 1 cent. Of course other investors may try the same strategy as well. Timer resets every time new money enters the game. Fun times.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Boxturret posted:

bitcoin is amazing, it is good and just and will inevitably take over the world. i was smart enough to put a lot of money in early so in the new world order i will be a king of kings

...but....

there's a few guys in this dead gay comedy forum that laugh at it....

how can i sit idly by?!?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Mercury_Storm posted:

Harry Markopolos was yelling about it for about seven years before the credit crunch exposed it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/Veggiefact/status/1406401051721351173

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Gazpacho posted:

as far as I've ever seen, the investors at the edge of the scheme were not investing sophisticates and left the decisions to wealth managers. There's no way the managers who dealt with Madoff directly didn't suspect.

Time for the monthly retelling of the story of Harry Markopolous! Short version: in 1999/2000 or so, Harry got hired by a rival investment shop to reverse-engineer Bernie Madoff's investing strategy so they could offer a rival fund to their clients. While trying to do that, Harry realized that Madoff's returns were fundamentally impossible, and from then on he hollered about how it was fraudulent to anyone who would listen. Nobody listened. So nothing happened, until the financial crisis caused enough withdrawals from Madoff's fund that the scheme collapsed and Madoff's own sons turned him in late 2008.

e: f, b

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Blotto_Otter posted:

Time for the monthly retelling of the story of Harry Markopolous! Short version: in 1999/2000 or so, Harry got hired by a rival investment shop to reverse-engineer Bernie Madoff's investing strategy so they could offer a rival fund to their clients. While trying to do that, Harry realized that Madoff's returns were fundamentally impossible, and from then on he hollered about how it was fraudulent to anyone who would listen. Nobody listened. So nothing happened, until the financial crisis caused enough withdrawals from Madoff's fund that the scheme collapsed and Madoff's own sons turned him in late 2008.

I love how the SEC is all like “wow who could’ve known?” and this dude is like “me! I knew! and I told you cunts 3 times!”

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

ultrafilter posted:

Harry Markopolos was yelling about it for about seven years before the credit crunch exposed it.
yes but the self-aggrandizing way he wrote up his suspicions made him look like a crank. if he had gone to the SEC with more humility and patience the results might have been different

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Blotto_Otter posted:

v. disappointed he didn't even get a composite character in Wizard of Lies

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Antlerhill posted:

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

Wrongfor10yrs LOL posted:

and there are far better writers than myself.

Agreed, nearly every other writer in fact.

possibly even exlol

fake edit: gently caress is that doxxing?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

SubG posted:

thank god central banks can't debase bitcoin, just imagine the price instability

I denounce Bitcoin

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

catspleen posted:

Agreed, nearly every other writer in fact.

possibly even exlol

fake edit: gently caress is that doxxing?

im sorry, but you've done a dox by remembering that they that must not be remembered exists, please proceed to the nearest suicide booth

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

mark karpeles andreas antonpolous

mark antonpolous

markopolos

:tinfoil:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
marko paolo

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

That is stupid it can’t be right; you must be explaining it wrong!

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
I appreciate when the arguments are posted in link form because I (and everyone else) can proceed to click on precisely zero of them

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Reverse Marco Polo

The Chinese are trying to find a passageway to the west in order to secrete their digital brain worms

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Wrongfor10yrs LOL posted:

Seems a bit superfluous at this point in our relationship, does it not, SA?

https://www.coindesk.com/the-last-word-on-bitcoins-energy-consumption

Wow I’m SA now apparently. Doxx much?

Is seraph a shitposting AI

Am I?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Alan Smithee posted:

Reverse Marco Polo

The Chinese are trying to find a passageway to the west in order to secrete their digital brain worms

If brain worms produced silk the CCP would probably build warehouses full of purposely infected dissidents to “mine SilkRoadCoin.” Then after they die harvest and sell their organs for monero.

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

Boxturret posted:

im sorry, but you've done a dox by remembering that they that must not be remembered exists, please proceed to the nearest suicide booth

I will never post in QCS

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

catspleen posted:

I will never post in QCS
I certainly won't again.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Alan Smithee posted:

Wow I’m SA now apparently. Doxx much?

Is seraph a shitposting AI

Am I?

p sure I'm the only real human on the forums

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

DerekSmartymans posted:

If brain worms produced silk the CCP would probably build warehouses full of purposely infected dissidents to “mine SilkRoadCoin.” Then after they die harvest and sell their organs for monero.

couldn't they just repurpose the pre-existing uyghur farms instead of going out and catching a whole new set of citizens to commit atrocities to

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

KnifeWrench posted:

p sure I'm the only real human on the forums
:sad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Haven’t paid attention to the arcade tokens for sociopaths in ages, is this another one of those hashing effort cliffs being reached? The price going down is always good entertainment but hearing about mining operations shutting down en masse is legit great news.

I wonder what it’ll be like when bitcoin mining stops entirely. I’m sure other coins and the tether fraud will continue (or not) independently but it’ll be fascinating to see the effects of the pool of canonical BTC freezing.