Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Tried loading the game up today with my new pc and the graphics were kinda hosed depending on the angle I had looking out to the horizon. Gonna see if adjusting any settings helps with it, but it's gonna be a bummer if I have to tune things down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Optimized my settings through Nvidia and things are working fine again

Weird

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Portia is on sale for 10 bucks for the next 3 days.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
An interesting video on the Chinese indie PC scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VrTZ_UeUxM

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/MTaSandrock/status/1402948406398513152

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Story demo's up: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1084600/My_Time_at_Sandrock/

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

i've been watching a stream of the demo (because lol my laptop could never), and while i really like the character designs this time around, the constant talk about water scarcity is really stressing me out, because i'm apparently the sort of brain broke individual who can be stressed out watching another person play a demo of a video game that uses water scarcity as flavor text

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
There is about 3 hours of gameplay and it felt extremely nice. Looks like they learned a lot from Portia. The NPCs are more attractive (Owen :syoon:), you can save during the day and gathering materials from scraps is oddly satisfying. The ruins seem to be a single building divided into floors with an actual layout instead of a giant cave of dirt. I had fun, wish it didn't cut me off once the main quests were done. Maybe I'll do another run...

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Sounds promising. Portia never fully drew me in enough to want to play it but maybe this will.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Sounds good. Endless dirt mining got tedious.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

CHiRAL posted:

There is about 3 hours of gameplay and it felt extremely nice. Looks like they learned a lot from Portia. The NPCs are more attractive (Owen :syoon:), you can save during the day and gathering materials from scraps is oddly satisfying. The ruins seem to be a single building divided into floors with an actual layout instead of a giant cave of dirt. I had fun, wish it didn't cut me off once the main quests were done. Maybe I'll do another run...

I was kind of bummed when the demo ran out, since I wanted to explore more of the mines and maybe try to kill some of the level 17-20 stuff. I put a lot of hours into Portia, so I'll definitely do the same now that there's some nice QoL stuff they've added and overall seems like they've learned a lot.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
the all important question is, however

do you have a stamina bar outside for no apparent reason again

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Gamerofthegame posted:

the all important question is, however

do you have a stamina bar outside for no apparent reason again

That's no longer a thing luckily, but once you get an upgraded mount in Portia you never really ran out of stamina :shrug:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I've been playing a bit of the Sandrock demo as well, and I'm surprised to realise that I actually like the mining this time around. Having it set in a recognizable giant building that is sanded in just feels so much better than the weirdly artificial and sterile caves in Portia did.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Everything in Sandrock feels anywhere from mildly (the gathering/mining) to extremely (the combat) better than Portia and that makes me so happy. What ultimately always burns me out when I go back to Portia is how janky and awful the combat always feels. Definitely looking forward to Sandrock even more now.

I only kind of poked my head into the mines but they seem pretty similar to Portia, which is a bit disappointing though.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

TurnipFritter posted:

i've been watching a stream of the demo (because lol my laptop could never), and while i really like the character designs this time around, the constant talk about water scarcity is really stressing me out, because i'm apparently the sort of brain broke individual who can be stressed out watching another person play a demo of a video game that uses water scarcity as flavor text

The water thing stops being an issue at all pretty quickly, you can harvest dew from cactus and make your own water right off. Just dont chop down plants too close to town or you get in trouble.
Sandrock overall feels like a solid update, being able to sprint everywhere like an anime is super nice.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

You can also just buy water for pretty cheap. It's something you need to pay only a minimal amount of attention to once you get started.

Anyway, I thought the game was a significant improvement over Portia from the demo already. The game has a better tutorial and actually introduces to the town, characters get actual introductions (except the sewage people and unsurprisingly, they're also a lot more dull) and in general, it feels a lot less jank. There's still definitely improvements that could be made like telling when you enter a new area but Sandrock feels like it did learn a lot from Portia.

Most importantly, the character creator seems significantly more powerful. Seeing myself in scenes with a face like this was actually kind of funny.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Oh yeah agreed, its definetly technically an improvement. They even added cutscenes and everything.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Kinda wish I had pulled the trigger on the kickstarter for this since despite my issues with Portia I still sunk a ton of hours into it. Glad to see that everything known so far feels like a big step up though.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Well I'm very late to the party, got Portia in the sale and hoo boy that's stardew valley all over again - so, eating all my free time because I *need* to build more, more, more and make more and more money.

So how do I make money early on? Commissions are cool but it usually takes 2-3 days to finish one (I'm at 3 stone furnaces, 1 cutter, 1 grinder after about 1 week?) unless I luck out and already have some of the needed stuff done, and just upgrading one tool to bronze will basically cost me more than half my cash since I have to buy the upgrade kit

any other starting out tips guys? While this is even more relaxing and chill than Stardew Valley, the grind seems to be a bit tougher here

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Furnaces, i think i had like 10 at one point in the mid game, keep making more of them.
Metal bars are your biggest bottleneck so mining and refining are the 2 parts you want to constantly be doing, even if there's no demand currently.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Eeepies posted:

Furnaces, i think i had like 10 at one point in the mid game, keep making more of them.
Metal bars are your biggest bottleneck so mining and refining are the 2 parts you want to constantly be doing, even if there's no demand currently.

Thanks will do.

Is there a point where you should stop amassing raw materials / going for the next tier of machinery / expanding your workshop with all the stuff you make vs. just selling it? Now that I think about it, can you actually sell stuff? I have seen a tab when going to shops that looks like "sell" but it always appears empty, I couldn't sell anything. Maybe it's too early, I still have to do the introductory quests but I'm not the biggest fan of social intearctions in this kind of game, I just want to make MOAR STUFF.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Yeah a lot of your early days (and later ones too really) are going to be taken up mining ore/powerstones and chopping down wood for fuel until you get the furnaces that take powerstones. You always, always need more metal.

For cash, money just comes kinda slow in the beginning. Look for cheap and easy commissions like stone stools or storage for some fast cash, but the game is kind of built around larger projects that will take multiple days/weeks to finish.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Fishing can be a major source of cash. Make sure you save enough money to get some caterpillars from the farm in time for the fishing event in the first month. Selling stone stools is also an excellent way to get ahead. Protip - don't waste your time chopping trees. Focus on mining in the ruins, and in the A&G shop you can trade wood for stone (and vice versa) 1:1.

fishing location spoiler - fishing down at the waterfall has a few fish worth 5000 and most worth 30 - 350. They're tough to catch with the beginner pole, but it's very possible and a great way to get a jump on the game.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Canuckistan posted:

Fishing can be a major source of cash. Make sure you save enough money to get some caterpillars from the farm in time for the fishing event in the first month. Selling stone stools is also an excellent way to get ahead. Protip - don't waste your time chopping trees. Focus on mining in the ruins, and in the A&G shop you can trade wood for stone (and vice versa) 1:1.

fishing location spoiler - fishing down at the waterfall has a few fish worth 5000 and most worth 30 - 350. They're tough to catch with the beginner pole, but it's very possible and a great way to get a jump on the game.

that's nice to know! Except I haven't even managed to make the beginner fishing rod, I've been kicking every tree I find but no wild cocoons or whatever it is that I need to make a fishing rod. Boy they really neglected the tutorial/new player guidance huh?

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Canuckistan posted:

Protip - don't waste your time chopping trees. Focus on mining in the ruins, and in the A&G shop you can trade wood for stone (and vice versa) 1:1.

F me i wish i knew about this, the lands around me were always clear cut for fuel to feed my industry.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Um... if you know how to use CheatEngine it can significantly cut down on the more excessive parts of the grind. And iff you don't know how you can learn it in 5-10min. Puritans aside, its hard to argue against making something more enjoyable.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

TorakFade posted:

that's nice to know! Except I haven't even managed to make the beginner fishing rod, I've been kicking every tree I find but no wild cocoons or whatever it is that I need to make a fishing rod. Boy they really neglected the tutorial/new player guidance huh?

Only the thicc trees drops them. If you're getting rubber fruit it's the wrong kind.

Also pay attention to the % in the shops when buying/selling. I like to hoard my junk for whenever it goes over 130% and always try to buy the less urgent stuff when it's cheap.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

CHiRAL posted:

Only the thicc trees drops them. If you're getting rubber fruit it's the wrong kind.

Also pay attention to the % in the shops when buying/selling. I like to hoard my junk for whenever it goes over 130% and always try to buy the less urgent stuff when it's cheap.

Exactly. The huge trees with the split trunk is the only kind that drops cocoons. With 130% market days you can make 10-20k per day fishing easy peasy.

edit - gently caress Higgins. The highlight of every morning is beating his rear end sparring then beating him into the office to get the best commission.

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 28, 2021

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
One of the best things MtaP did, economy-wise, is make it well worth it to just rely on other villagers for material once you're established. You can still turn a large profit even while paying for large deliveries and regular shopping trips leaving you time for treasure hunting / tracking down villagers / doing whatever.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Canuckistan posted:

Exactly. The huge trees with the split trunk is the only kind that drops cocoons. With 130% market days you can make 10-20k per day fishing easy peasy.

edit - gently caress Higgins. The highlight of every morning is beating his rear end sparring then beating him into the office to get the best commission.

Don't forget to steal the bars out of his furnaces every day.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Don't forget to steal the bars out of his furnaces every day.

Goddammit.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also another tip to prepare for late game: get some crystal trees up and start socking away the crystals. There's a specific late game material you're going to need to make a ton of that out of nowhere needs crystals, after pretty much nothing progression-related required them, and it can absolutely blindside your momentum you if you don't have a pre-existing stockpile.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Canuckistan posted:

I did enjoy from the Sandrock demo that your rival builder there is very friendly. It makes for a really different dynamic and tone. She's even a potential romance, which makes me wonder if you end up marrying her whether she'll continue to compete with you.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

TorakFade posted:

Well I'm very late to the party, got Portia in the sale and hoo boy that's stardew valley all over again - so, eating all my free time because I *need* to build more, more, more and make more and more money.

So how do I make money early on? Commissions are cool but it usually takes 2-3 days to finish one (I'm at 3 stone furnaces, 1 cutter, 1 grinder after about 1 week?) unless I luck out and already have some of the needed stuff done, and just upgrading one tool to bronze will basically cost me more than half my cash since I have to buy the upgrade kit

any other starting out tips guys? While this is even more relaxing and chill than Stardew Valley, the grind seems to be a bit tougher here

Commissions and story quests are the best way to make money early. Keep building up your workshop so you can produce enough surplus goods to be able to do 1-day turnarounds for commissions and story quests. Higgins will do some of the story quest commissions (mostly the ones that have multiple duplicates) if you take more than a day or two. Others will wait for you forever.

You get better furnaces and other workshop machines by taking data disks to the research center and doing research.

Eventually you'll be able to make the upgraded fishing rod. Once you have that, fishing becomes a great source of income.

Canuckistan posted:

New players are better off fishing at the fishing hole by the bridge you build/your workshop. The fish there are the easiest to catch and they're all useful.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 28, 2021

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
An important note for new players: Save at least one pair of same king fish once you get them. Once you get a fish diplay you can breed them for the low low cost of dough and with a simple trick (add fish -> 999 food in -> add fish -> 999 food in) can selfsustain for hundreds of days. The type of king fish doesn't matter as each take 8 days to spawn a new one which sells for 5,000 gols. Filling your house and any other free space with tanks is an easy way to make millions of gols within a single season.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I'm halfway through Year 1 Summer, and apparently I've been screwing myself by not getting the lowest tier data disc rewards first. I've always been getting the most expensive ones, so I've got nice high-end cutters and forges but I still don't have a freaking blender.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Coming back to say that I really like Portia, better than stardew valley even (at least long term - I love how it has this feeling of "building up" the city that Stardew doesn't have, except the collectathon for the CC which is kinda bad imo), but BY GOD it's grindy. I've made a bunch of extra crafting machines because the quests are getting pretty intense material requirements, but a full day of mining for copper/tin gives me just enough ore to last a couple days at this insane pace, and I'm still always without bronze bars. I'd have to spend 1 in 3 days in the mines which is honestly quite boring, is there some other way to get ores/metals in bulk?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

TorakFade posted:

Coming back to say that I really like Portia, better than stardew valley even (at least long term - I love how it has this feeling of "building up" the city that Stardew doesn't have, except the collectathon for the CC which is kinda bad imo), but BY GOD it's grindy. I've made a bunch of extra crafting machines because the quests are getting pretty intense material requirements, but a full day of mining for copper/tin gives me just enough ore to last a couple days at this insane pace, and I'm still always without bronze bars. I'd have to spend 1 in 3 days in the mines which is honestly quite boring, is there some other way to get ores/metals in bulk?

Dana's Mining Company level 5 is your savior. Also a great source of power cells.

E: Actually considering you're talking about Bronze I'll assume you're earlier in the game so I should mention that Attack helps you get more ores per swing and scales pretty dramatically. Grabbing the perks for extra attack, eating food, attack accessories, and making sure you have maxed out attack furniture will let you collect thousands of ore per day.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jul 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Rynoto posted:

Dana's Mining Company level 5 is your savior. Also a great source of power cells.

E: Actually considering you're talking about Bronze I'll assume you're earlier in the game so I should mention that Attack helps you get more ores per swing and scales pretty dramatically. Grabbing the perks for extra attack, eating food, attack accessories, and making sure you have maxed out attack furniture will let you collect thousands of ore per day.

Yep I'm still pretty early, I have to fix the Bassanio lift now, trying to scrounge up enough ironwood to make planks. I didn't realize that +attack gives more ores, I thought it was only based on the pickaxe material! That's nice to know, thanks :)