Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratto
May 8, 2004

Digg and del.icio.us

How about Technorati

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

everything2.com

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

the company http2
which depended on your browser automatically adding the .com so their server would direct you to wherever the rest of the url was for
i forget what their deal was, tlds that didn't exist yet i think

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the fact that .co is a thing

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

.biz

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

stavvy

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

.nu domains from Niue were super popular in Scandinavia ca 2000 (means .now)

they've been considered tacky for a good while now tho

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

linode

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

when MSN was 'The Microsoft Network' and it was a sort of curated not-quite-the-web thing that you accessed via windows explorer.

MS memory-holed it within like a year and pretended MSN was just a website

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sweevo posted:

when MSN was 'The Microsoft Network' and it was a sort of curated not-quite-the-web thing that you accessed via windows explorer.

MS memory-holed it within like a year and pretended MSN was just a website

an AOL analogue

always skating to where the puck is

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
just remembered that in france we had infonie, a lovely aol clone created by infogrames

it also had its little walled garden internet

Zlodo fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 19, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Honestly just everything about Windows 95 through XP where they tried to cram web pages everywhere and make every program have a web browser paradigm

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
your desktop background just sometimes being replaced by an error message that internet explorer had crashed, because that was responsible for your desktop background for some reason

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Jabor posted:

your desktop background just sometimes being replaced by an error message that internet explorer had crashed, because that was responsible for your desktop background for some reason

oh yeah, active desktop?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

.nu domains from Niue were super popular in Scandinavia ca 2000 (means .now)

they've been considered tacky for a good while now tho

you mean sweden

RobobTheGreat
Jul 14, 2003

Mind your manners when talking to the king!

Jabor posted:

the "reason" was to support Microsoft's insistence that internet explorer isn't merely a web browser, but an *~integral component~* of the Windows operating system. :rolleyes:

similarly, there was a period of time when printing out an html-formatted email in outlook also unnecessarily involved internet explorer.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Jabor posted:

hmblol I remember this happening all the time on my sister's college laptop that ran :siren: windows me :siren:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Tankakern posted:

you mean sweden

correct, sweden is in scandinavia :confused:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

RobobTheGreat posted:

the "reason" was to support Microsoft's insistence that internet explorer isn't merely a web browser, but an *~integral component~* of the Windows operating system. :rolleyes:

and history proved microsoft right, in that no one have been able to even pretend to ship an operating system without a webview component for a decade+ by now.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

and history proved microsoft right, in that no one have been able to even pretend to ship an operating system without a webview component for a decade+ by now.

Windows is a distro that calls itself an operating system

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

nah, distros being a concept is clearly linux being weird about things. everyone else, including historic unix vendors, ship(ped) operating systems as a reasonable set of standard functionality and applications.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

"i don't like the version of termcap you used, so i'm gonna make my own distro"

repeat x10,000

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

deb & ian are divorced

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

deb & ian are divorced

and that’s not the worst thing to happen to ian

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

PCjr sidecar posted:

welp

i did not know that

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

sad tech poo poo you just heard about v2.1

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

PCjr sidecar posted:

I get the first part about debian, but not this part, what am I missing

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Volmarias posted:

I get the first part about debian, but not this part, what am I missing

google broken huh? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Murdock#Death

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

I didn't realize debian was named after himself and his girlfriend at the time, I just assumed it was something like an antarctic island penguins go to die or some other nerd related thing.

I must atone for my sins of not making the connection that "Debian" = "Deb + Ian" and it wasn't just dumb shitposting

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Volmarias posted:

I didn't realize debian was named after himself and his girlfriend at the time, I just assumed it was something like an antarctic island penguins go to die or some other nerd related thing.

I must atone for my sins of not making the connection that "Debian" = "Deb + Ian" and it wasn't just dumb shitposting

i just learned it here myself, don't feel too bad! :cheerdoge:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

that T9 typing competition where the finalists were like a 12 year old girl and 30-something year old dude.

wasn't there a competition between a teen on T9 and some old dude on morse code?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Also just finding out debian was a cobination of "deb" and "ian"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

ADINSX posted:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ADINSX posted:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

active desktop was cool because i had a desktop that would show a parking lot is full comic and had a button to show a different one

2000 was a hell of a year

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
fun fact: we used to use active desktop on our terminal server farm as an application launcher. it worked great and it was disappointing when it was removed for later releases

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

wasn't there a competition between a teen on T9 and some old dude on morse code?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRuRE-Bwk1U yep

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Volmarias posted:

The commercials that Comcast did when Verizon started rolling out FTTP, that said "DON'T FALL FOR FIBER FIOS" but never explained what that meant aside from showing a smarmy installer wrecking the place.

e: it was *don't fall for FiOS", not "don't fall for fiber"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-RFKJA3xiU

don’t get scroogled!

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Wild EEPROM posted:

the fact that .co is a thing

a friend of mine had a coworker who just this week deleted a good chunk of their subscriber emails because he wrote a script to delete accounts with fake or mistyped emails and didn’t make it recognize/handle any .co.<whatever> tlds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

3d tvs
no wait curved tvs
how about hdr tvs???

basically the endless attempts at tv gimmicks that die off in a year after hitting the chicken/egg adoption wall

oh and having multiple incompatible versions of each of them whenever an encoding is involved, further reducing addressable market