Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
hdr is cool and good though and will ultimately just spread to all tvs regardless of price i expect

although the infinite contrasts of o/microled is more immediately worthwhile imo

Progressive JPEG posted:

oh and having multiple incompatible versions of each of them whenever an encoding is involved, further reducing addressable market

lol this will never stop tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Progressive JPEG posted:

3d tvs
no wait curved tvs
how about hdr tvs???

basically the endless attempts at tv gimmicks that die off in a year after hitting the chicken/egg adoption wall

oh and having multiple incompatible versions of each of them whenever an encoding is involved, further reducing addressable market

the amazing article written by nilay's wife, just tearing into him for buying a curved tv

phenomenal reporting imo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Raluek posted:

the amazing article written by nilay's wife, just tearing into him for buying a curved tv

phenomenal reporting imo

lmao

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Progressive JPEG posted:

3d tvs
no wait curved tvs
how about hdr tvs???

basically the endless attempts at tv gimmicks that die off in a year after hitting the chicken/egg adoption wall

i worked on 2 different display controllers (chips / IP for SOCs) for android phones where 3D was a *must have* feature on a stupid tiny phone screen and I *still* (6-8 years later) have never actually used 3D anything outside of maybe an IMAX theater.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

correct, sweden is in scandinavia :confused:

i guess what i'm saying is dont drag norway down with you, we dont even have "nu" in our language so we never used it

(we did use .as a bit in that same period though, for all those companies that didnt secure their .no domain)

Tankakern fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jun 20, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

ADINSX posted:

Also just finding out debian was a cobination of "deb" and "ian"

and as such it has a short “e” sound

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Platystemon posted:

never

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

debienne

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Tankakern posted:

i guess what i'm saying is dont drag norway down with you, we dont even have "nu" in our language so we never used it

(we did use .as a bit in that same period though, for all those companies that didnt secure their .no domain)

ah right, forgot it wasn't in Norwegian . nu is in danish too

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Wait, have people been saying "deebian?"

lmao if so

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Platystemon posted:

well yeah, of course it does.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

amazon fire phone, with four cameras on the corners of the screen to do gaze tracking to fake a 3d effect on the launcher

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Sagebrush posted:

lmao if so

my name is deebus torvalds, and I pronounce

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I may finally upgrade to a 1080p tv when i move

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

lmao if so

this is how the sysadmins at a job I had a long time ago all said it

also we migrated to Debian from being a 100% Solaris shop, which they pronounced as “sol-ah-ris” and not “sol-air-is”

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

kitten smoothie posted:

this is how the sysadmins at a job I had a long time ago all said it

also we migrated to Debian from being a 100% Solaris shop, which they pronounced as “sol-ah-ris” and not “sol-air-is”

sol ah ris is some strong halt and catch fire energy

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

PCjr sidecar posted:

amazon fire phone, with four cameras on the corners of the screen to do gaze tracking to fake a 3d effect on the launcher

I worked on making sure a certain part of the Fire branded infrastructure worked on that phone. It was super duper top secret work to do on that device, we worked in a training room that was repurposed to be desk space with butcher paper covering all the windows. The camera stuff was being touted internally as a Big Deal and loving lol at how that turned out. Same with the Facebook Phone.

It also stung a little bit with our big New Feature debut on the Kindle Fire. It was a particular feature that took years to make once the technology was actually there to make it but had been planned and considered for many years before. It was supposed to be 3 minutes or so with a whole A-list actor demonstration of it, and it last second turned into 8s of Bezoars stating that this feature existed, then moving on to how INCREDIBLE the audio would be with the extra speaker set because

I know it was just a job, but I was actually a little pumped to see some kind of public recognition and disappointed at what happened.

E: :smith:

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 20, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PCjr sidecar posted:

sol ah ris is some strong halt and catch fire energy

i get inordinately upset when i hear someone say jaw-vah

it's loving java

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Volmarias posted:

I worked on making sure a certain part of the Fire branded infrastructure worked on that phone. It was super duper top secret work to do on that device, we worked in a training room that was repurposed to be desk space with butcher paper covering all the windows. The camera stuff was being touted internally as a Big Deal and loving lol at how that turned out. Same with the Facebook Phone.

It also stung a little bit with our big New Feature debut on the Kindle Fire. It was a particular feature that took years to make once the technology was actually there to make it but had been planned and considered for many years before. It was supposed to be 3 minutes or so with a whole A-list actor demonstration of it, and it last second turned into 8s of Bezoars stating that this feature existed, then moving on to how INCREDIBLE the audio would be with the extra speaker set because

I know it was just a job, but I was actually a little pumped to see some kind of public recognition and disappointed at what happened.

E: :smith:

I was really impressed with how laser focused it was on routing you to buy poo poo from amazon.

actually trying to watch a video once you’d bought it or read an ebook was annoyingly clunky and it didn’t include the fire tv remote app iirc

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
didn’t amazon take a 1b loss on thet phone

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Wild EEPROM posted:

didn’t amazon take a 1b loss on thet phone

only a couple hundo mill i think

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Raluek posted:

phenomenal reporting imo

lol that loving response where he defended the purchase with "oh yeah sometimes i just gotta go buy something from walmart, y'know, to keep it real"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

it’s obviously short e debian and sol ah ris what the gently caress is wrong with y’all

sol air is is disgusting

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i had a coworker that was beyond stoked on the firefox phone

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
lol. were they a confused furry or something?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
tbh i used to get mildly excited for anything new in re phones before i realized basically everything else was terrible-r than what i already had

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

mediaphage posted:

wep cracking was so handy for when you moved and your new connection wouldn’t be set up for a week

this but it's the 2011 Verizon strike and the backlog for new FiOS installs is 6-8 weeks and the default password is extremely easily derived from the router's wifi MAC address

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
awful forums poo poo you just remembered: everyone calling each other "mang"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

gabensraum posted:

it’s short for mangosteen

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Some old crazy guy at my work told me at the time that MH370 was hauling Mangosteen as cargo and it's one of the reasons it crashed.

The only time mangosteen has been brought up in my life outside the forums.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

gabensraum posted:

everyone loved the first smash mouth album

a man of respect and i prefer to be addressed as padrino

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Animal Friend posted:

Some old crazy guy at my work told me at the time that MH370 was hauling Mangosteen as cargo and it's one of the reasons it crashed.

The only time mangosteen has been brought up in my life outside the forums.

... I have to know the explanation on why mangosteen would cause it to crash

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Volmarias posted:

i mean, they did disable the search eventually

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Volmarias posted:

too much power, same problem as lithium cells.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

i mean, they did disable the search eventually

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
20mA current loop

even as late as the VT240 people still used that poo poo

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

hirens boot cd

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

eschaton posted:

20mA current loop

still used in weird industrial niches

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

eschaton posted:

20mA current loop

you can still buy sensors with this output configuration

i guess they have the advantage of only having two terminals for both power and output signal

e: ^^^ lol nice timing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Wild EEPROM posted:

hirens boot cd

this tho. takes me back. i still use it sometimes. the win10 one isnt as useful but it still exists