Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Dutchy posted:

I always liked both Harris and Howard but they were also more than 15 years ago at this point. Since then, 1st round only:

2005: No pick, traded for the rights to Pavel Podkolzine
2006: Maurice Ager
2007: No pick, traded as part of a package for Erick Dampier and scraps
2008: No pick, Jason Kidd trade
2009: Rodrigue Beaubois

2010: Dominique Jones
2011: Traded the pick (Jordan Hamilton) for Rudy Fernandez, who never played for the Mavs and was traded in December for a 2nd round pick
2012: Jared Cunningham
2013: Shane Larkin
2014: No pick, Lamar Odom trade

2015: Justin Anderson
2016: No pick, Rajon Rondo trade
2017: Dennis Smith Jr
2018: LUKA DONCIC
2019: No pick, Luka Doncic trade
2020: Josh Green

Man I wanted Shane Larkin to be good. He was such a physical freak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Shane Larkin will maybe make his way back to the NBA at some point.

He's been pretty good over in the Euroleague.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Okay, I laughed a little.
https://twitter.com/espn/status/1405250059617329153?s=19

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lockback posted:

A bunch of those picks were late 20s where you probably aren't getting much but that's still really really bad.

Yeah I’m fairly certain if you do the same for other perpetually decent teams like SA or Boston it’s going to be a lot less obscure

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah I’m fairly certain if you do the same for other perpetually decent teams like SA or Boston it’s going to be a lot less obscure
Those trades moreso than none of the late picks panning out is really damning.

I get that they kept doing the whole "one more year" thing with Dirk but that's a whole lotta chances to find a good player on a cheap contract that they gave up for way less value.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Man I wanted Shane Larkin to be good. He was such a physical freak.

He is now!

I follow the draft about as much as anyone who is not paid to do it and I legit don't remember who Dominique Jones is

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

MourningView posted:

He is now!

I follow the draft about as much as anyone who is not paid to do it and I legit don't remember who Dominique Jones is

Mid-sized guard dunker who could t shoot is the best that I can remember.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Mid-sized guard dunker who could t shoot is the best that I can remember.

I looked him up and I now remember The South Florida Guy Who Scored A Lot but that information had blessedly left my brain until now

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Lockback posted:

A bunch of those picks were late 20s where you probably aren't getting much but that's still really really bad.

It'd be wishful thinking to hope that your Pick 25s will regularly be rotation guys, let alone starters and all-stars, but you can't just be drafting new DNP-CDs every single year forever, occasionally interrupted by a trade for a vet that doesn't want to play for you

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Dutchy posted:

2009: Rodrigue Beaubois

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Kemba for Simmons who says no?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

how will the bulls acquire a competent point guard with no cap space or ASSETS??????

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

R.D. Mangles posted:

how will the bulls acquire a competent point guard with no cap space or ASSETS??????

They could probably get Rubio for free but that's stretching "competent" quite a bit. If they are sticking with Lauri that might not be an awful look though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Rubio could probably get them to that seven seed they have gone all in for

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Well I guess we know how much Steve’s liked Kemba and Horford.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Welcome Jazz fans. This team came through a tough first round that's undersold but it's 4-1 outcome. They were battered and bruised which led to the tough series they had against the clips. It took ungodly performances from the unlikeliest of sources to overcome the best shooters in the league. This season will be a big "what if," for the Jazz but we all know Mitchell is going to come back even harder next year.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Welcome Nets fans. It's a rough way to go out, but during an injury plagued season you had your talisman player show that his injury with GS is far behind him. Much like the Jazz, there are a lot of what ifs this season. But there is no denying the Nets are probably the favorites to come out of the East next season and KD showed why.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Vinestalk posted:

Welcome Nets fans. It's a rough way to go out, but during an injury plagued season you had your talisman player show that his injury with GS is far behind him. Much like the Jazz, there are a lot of what ifs this season. But there is no denying the Nets are probably the favorites to come out of the East next season and KD showed why.

Very well put but unfortunately there are no Nets fans.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Perfection and...

Lockback posted:

Very well put but unfortunately there are no Nets fans.

Perfection.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Vinestalk posted:

Welcome Jazz fans. This team came through a tough first round that's undersold but it's 4-1 outcome. They were battered and bruised which led to the tough series they had against the clips. It took ungodly performances from the unlikeliest of sources to overcome the best shooters in the league. This season will be a big "what if," for the Jazz but we all know Mitchell is going to come back even harder next year.

This was definitely utahs Window. Next year they are going to lose a lot of their roster because they have to start paying Donovan and really paying Rudy. with the hard cap Rudy outs on your team in the playoffs its going to be very difficult to get me excited about the team again. it was cool to be the number one seed but any amount of regular season success next year will have an enormous amount of stink on it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

This was definitely utahs Window. Next year they are going to lose a lot of their roster because they have to start paying Donovan and really paying Rudy. with the hard cap Rudy outs on your team in the playoffs its going to be very difficult to get me excited about the team again. it was cool to be the number one seed but any amount of regular season success next year will have an enormous amount of stink on it.

who are they going to have to lose? The only notable free agent is Conley and they can go over the cap to bring him back, and his next deal is going to be cheaper than the one he's on now

MourningView fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 20, 2021

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i think utah's bigger problem is bringing in perimeter defenders and potentially a smaller/quicker backup for rudy that would allow them to match up more effectively with small ball teams which would be hard to fit in under the cap but idk that's just me

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Critical to keep the mature roster that got swept in the second round intact.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

three posted:

Critical to keep the mature roster that got swept in the second round intact.

Are you talking about Denver or...? No one else got swept in the second round.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1406616278631174145?s=19

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

does Dinwiddie still have the crypto contract i refer to as "Widcoin"

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
According to NBA insider Marc J. Spears, the 31-year-old point guard will most likely be moved by the Thunder. He thinks that the Los Angeles Lakers should try to get him. Spears also revealed that Kyle Kuzma appears to be leaving the 2020 NBA champions.

ESPNinsider easily beaten to the punch by SARicksider, Rick

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

i think utah's bigger problem is bringing in perimeter defenders and potentially a smaller/quicker backup for rudy that would allow them to match up more effectively with small ball teams which would be hard to fit in under the cap but idk that's just me

Has the DPOY ever been traded after winning the award before? I'm not saying they need to do it, but they could, I guess?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Has the DPOY ever been traded after winning the award before? I'm not saying they need to do it, but they could, I guess?

They would be bottom five defense if you replaced him with all but like three other centers and I don't think any of them are getting traded. He's the biggest reason they were a 1 seed they're not going to trade him.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Yes someone trade for kemba and give us a big

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Metapod posted:

The Lakers have one Andre Drummond...

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Metapod posted:

OKC should be able to get a few bigs this draft, I'd say wait until after that to see about trades

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
OKC only drafts long armed non shooters.

Speaking of centers though. Richaun Holmes’ $5MM deal is up and he’s unrestricted. He played 61 games and put up 23.4/13.6/2.7 per 100 with 1 steal and 2.6 blocks. His D rating of 115 isn’t great but was also the best on the team. Also had a team high O rating of 130. He fits great next to Fox and I love watching him play.

What is the FA market for centers out there? I know the common knowledge is they’re a dime a dozen but that’s more for backups and it’s not exactly true if you want to actually be good. They better re-sign him on like a 4 for $40 type

Edit: obviously $10MM/yr is too much but you know what I mean. Looks like the market is pretty dire https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/center/

No way the Knicks don’t overpay Noel so how about uhh Kanter or ideally Theis

The Maestro fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 20, 2021

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

The Maestro posted:

OKC only drafts long armed non shooters.

Speaking of centers though. Richaun Holmes’ $5MM deal is up and he’s unrestricted. He played 61 games and put up 23.4/13.6/2.7 per 100 with 1 steal and 2.6 blocks. His D rating of 115 isn’t great but was also the best on the team. Also had a team high O rating of 130. He fits great next to Fox and I love watching him play.

What is the FA market for centers out there? I know the common knowledge is they’re a dime a dozen but that’s more for backups and it’s not exactly true if you want to actually be good. They better re-sign him on like a 4 for $40 type

Not great. Holmes, Ibaka, Lopez, Nerlens, Theis, Zeller, then a chasm

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

morestuff posted:

Whoops I edited my post instead of replying

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

morestuff posted:

Just lmfao at Zeller for $14MM sorry man but at least he’ll be off your team!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

The Maestro posted:

Just lmfao at Zeller for $14MM sorry man but at least he’ll be off your team!

He'd have been just fine at that salary if he'd been healthy, I honestly wouldn't mind him coming back

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

coming to the devastating realization that realistically the bulls should try to sign cameron payne or derrick rose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

coming to the devastating realization that realistically the bulls should try to sign cameron payne or derrick rose

Lmao