Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
New Jaime Foy part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGRQM0X7uQ8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

there's a dickies skateboarding team? huh

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I haven't skated in 15 years... I saw a new andy anderson film and got extremely psyched. I'm thinking of getting a new deck and rolling around a bit. What's with the plastic reinforcement and hexagonal kickers on his board? Has much changed with boards?

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
that's for freestyle skating and you probably dont need it. or do you mean the rails idk... that's old school. his deck is just a unique shape as well.
the only thing that's changed is most people skate wider (8.25+) boards now.,

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

jiggerypokery posted:

I haven't skated in 15 years... I saw a new andy anderson film and got extremely psyched. I'm thinking of getting a new deck and rolling around a bit. What's with the plastic reinforcement and hexagonal kickers on his board? Has much changed with boards?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xNPhY2Trcs

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I'm simultaneously not surprised and :psyboom:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I didn't realize his board is so wide. Jesus that's a fat stick.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

poo poo I remember when all the boards were 30+x10. With the necessary bigger trucks and some 60mm wheels they weighed a loving ton lol.

Here's a video I though some of you guys would appreciate. noting totally outrageous, but it does have a few older dudes who are still ripping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ORCpS283lk

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Are complete decks still a waste of money? It always used to be they would come with awful bearings or whatever.

I'm looking at getting a new board but am overwhelmed

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Depends on what you get and from who, ime. Most places will list the gear on their completes and you can compare. The two LandYatchz I got were completes and are easily the nicest boards I have
edit: that said outside of LY I prefer putting them together myself, cause i like making them pretty

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 19, 2021

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

If anyone wants to recommend/link a complete setup or separate parts (think I remember how to put one together) I'll buy it. UK based supplier please! I need some appropriate shoes too

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

jiggerypokery posted:

If anyone wants to recommend/link a complete setup or separate parts (think I remember how to put one together) I'll buy it. UK based supplier please! I need some appropriate shoes too

What are you going to use it for?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Cracking myself in the nuts and an ACL tear by my second kickflip attempt most likely.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
You're gonna want a nutcracker special then. You can only pay via credit card though.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Sounds dope, what's the special?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Adolf Glitter posted:

poo poo I remember when all the boards were 30+x10. With the necessary bigger trucks and some 60mm wheels they weighed a loving ton lol.

Here's a video I though some of you guys would appreciate. noting totally outrageous, but it does have a few older dudes who are still ripping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ORCpS283lk

thanks. cheered me up

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/skatedeluxe-rose-8-25-complete-board-black_p132586 I bought that. Did I make a terrible mistake?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I'm not familiar with the brand but it looks like the right thing for someone starting out.

Usually when dealing with unfamiliar branded completes, the weak point is going to be the bearings being poo poo but you can easily replace those if they end up crapping out on you.

Other than that, it's got metal trucks with bushings so it's not like you bought a Nash or anything. I'm sure it'll be a blast.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

It will be fine, and you will have fun learning on it.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gpBhkU3q_gg

Yuto's loving nuts, good lord. That ender is absurd, and some of those tricks are actually kinda confusing. Backside 180 to... fakie smith? Idk

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

chaleski posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gpBhkU3q_gg

Yuto's loving nuts, good lord. That ender is absurd, and some of those tricks are actually kinda confusing. Backside 180 to... fakie smith? Idk

that's great and all but can he light a cig off his tail?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiGAE7yoH-8

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

not a palace fan but this is sick and kalis has a :discourse: trick

https://vimeo.com/569277991

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Been skating again for a week or so now for an hour or two a day. I have ollies, shuv-its down (like 90%) pop shuv its at about 30-40%.

I've been doing 50-100 attempted kickflips a day. I have the flick down in two different foot positions but cannot keep my back foot over the board to land it. I can land the front foot most of the time but it's like I pop the board up and instantly put my back foot down on the ground.

I can land them a bunch when I hold onto something to help me jump but I feel like I'm getting no where actually landing one.

Any ideas how to progress?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I still cant get over how good and fun the worble 3 video was

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

jiggerypokery posted:

Been skating again for a week or so now for an hour or two a day. I have ollies, shuv-its down (like 90%) pop shuv its at about 30-40%.

I've been doing 50-100 attempted kickflips a day. I have the flick down in two different foot positions but cannot keep my back foot over the board to land it. I can land the front foot most of the time but it's like I pop the board up and instantly put my back foot down on the ground.

I can land them a bunch when I hold onto something to help me jump but I feel like I'm getting no where actually landing one.

Are you jumping with both feet or leaning back and landing back foot first?

I always think about it in discrete steps that have to happen in order for the board to get some lift:

1) pop the tail and make sure it hits the pavement

2) slide front foot up the deck while making sure my back foot gets the heck out of the way (jump!)

3) flick front foot so it too gets the heck out of the way so the deck can rotate

4) bring legs back in so they're over the deck

I kind of think about it like my legs need to go out then back in like a jumping Jack. It's why the insides of your thighs should burn after trying it for hours.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

jiggerypokery posted:

I was a back foot off guy with kick flips. I’m not great at them but it helped me to always try them rolling instead of standing still…it makes you do the jump.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

new to skating, took my first fall last week, my side is very colorful rn

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Any tips on front side airs in bowls? I can't get air at all. And if I go to fast I get kind of scared and bail at the coping.

Or better: how did you learn to air?

gay for gacha fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 3, 2021

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

gay for gacha posted:

Any tips on front side airs in bowls? I can't get air at all. And if I go to fast I get kind of scared and bail at the coping.

I am by no means an expert, but when i used to do them on mini ramps back in the day I would just focus on looking over my left shoulder (skating regular) at the spot on the ramp where I wanted to land.

This took away the fear of the coping, and I had already been practicing 180s on a gentler slope so I had the basic body movement down.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

hey skatergoons, my girlfriend and I decided to try skateboarding again. We both skated a little in high school and that was it and now we're 30.

We got some cool rear end boards made and she's getting better every day but I'm having an issue figuring out my stance. When I was younger, I skated goofy and mongo and I know now that that's really bad. I can ollie in the grass but only goofy. Regular hurts my brain.

I should have no problem skating regular since that's what mongo+goofy is when you push but then I stand goofy. I dunno if that makes sense. I'm thinking I should just learn how to skate regular. Any tips? This is hard one to google.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Honestly if you can skate and have fun with whatever weird stance you have rn and you're not having problems, I say don't sweat it either way, I dunno how spicy of a take that is in skating anymore. One thing that might help is practicing walking up to the board with the stance you want in mind and kinda counting down the steps till your lead foot is on before you kick. Just go back to basics and like really intentionally relearn it. You'll prolly get it in like an hour tops.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

It sounds like goofy is your natural stance, just stick with that and learn to push normally eventually? I pushed mongo for about two years then realized it was kinda awkward and learned to push normally, it only took me maybe a few days to get comfortable doing it.

Actually I'd say just do whatever the gently caress feels right really, gently caress it push mongo if you want.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Eat The Rich posted:

hey skatergoons, my girlfriend and I decided to try skateboarding again. We both skated a little in high school and that was it and now we're 30.

We got some cool rear end boards made and she's getting better every day but I'm having an issue figuring out my stance. When I was younger, I skated goofy and mongo and I know now that that's really bad. I can ollie in the grass but only goofy. Regular hurts my brain.

I should have no problem skating regular since that's what mongo+goofy is when you push but then I stand goofy. I dunno if that makes sense. I'm thinking I should just learn how to skate regular. Any tips? This is hard one to google.

Sounds like you're goofy. Since you can already ollie goofy I would suggest staying with that stance and re-learning to push the conventional way using your left foot. I think changing your pushing technique will be easier on the brain than flipping your whole stance.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Ok cool. I'm gonna try to get out of pushing mongo. I'm basically comfortable riding goofy. Thanks for the insight everyone

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I skated mongo when I was a kid and it really held me back. I am not skating mongo now but i deliberately chose not to. Its surprisingly easy to switch, just need to roll around a bit for a few days

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

gay for gacha posted:

I learned how to do early grabs under the lip first. Backside is easier but this can apply to front side as well. If you can get used to doing the pull up/jump up and turn low on the ramp you can start doing little airs and this will help you feel comfortable. The hardest part of airs is getting the landing to work.

I don’t find This helpful for front side but this helps with backside a lot: act like you are going to do the air at the lip but instead just do the kickturn/pivot while trying to grab the side of your nose. Don’t worry about the air part. This gets you used to completing the “move” and get you ready for taking it higher. This technique may work for frontside too, think about a one motion scoop with grabbing hand and the turn.

Also keeping the approach angle shallower (close to parallel with the lip instead of perpendicular) will help you cheat with the turn.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Eat The Rich posted:

Ok cool. I'm gonna try to get out of pushing mongo. I'm basically comfortable riding goofy. Thanks for the insight everyone

Something that helps me when pushing with my other foot (switch) is to try not to fully press into the board with my foot that is still on the board. Instead, float it a bit as you push with most of your weight on the pushing foot. For me this helps keep me from doing the dumb things that make the board steer wrong.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Made myself a board at 40 years of age for pushing around my car port trying to pick up where my teenage skate career finished (not able to do a kickturn on flat ground). I wanted to try harder bushes and softer wheels, I'm 6'2" and 240lbs.

8.5" board
Independent Trucks with 94A bushings
Bones Reds
Ricta 92A wheels

Most days I manage at least 1/2 an hour of just fooling around. Very happy with kickturn progress in backside direction and I feel my form in that direction is good enough to tic tac, only my frontside kickturns are horrific. I feel the harder bushings have made things much easier for me, if it's a crutch I don't mind because it took all of about 20 minutes to get comfortable pushing and steering after like 25 years of not even looking at a board.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Pocket Billiards posted:

Made myself a board at 40 years of age for pushing around my car port trying to pick up where my teenage skate career finished (not able to do a kickturn on flat ground). I wanted to try harder bushes and softer wheels, I'm 6'2" and 240lbs.

8.5" board
Bones Reds
Ricta 92A wheels

Most days I manage at least 1/2 an hour of just fooling around. Very happy with kickturn progress in backside direction and I feel my form in that direction is good enough to tic tac, only my frontside kickturns are horrific. I feel the harder bushings have made things much easier for me, if it's a crutch I don't mind because it took all of about 20 minutes to get comfortable pushing and steering after like 25 years of not even looking at a board.

You should try no-complys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

Pocket Billiards posted:

8.5" board
Bones Reds
Ricta 92A wheels

Holy crap, you're me! I'm 40, 6'2", 240lbs and just picked up a board to relive my high school skate days.

All the best to you! Take er easy and wear safety gear if you move out of your comfort zone while progressing. Us big fellas in our 40s don't bounce back from injuries like we used to.