Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I'm not talking about theoretical prices. I'm saying that if a system is built from undesirable components, it doesn't matter that "It doesn't cost much more than the components." What matters is, what equivalent system would you have built with better components, and what it would cost to get a prebuilt of that quality. For example, really garbage coolers, awful motherboards, single sticks of slow ram, etc - they may only be charging you slightly over MSRP or street price, but if you'd never buy those products anyway, it's not actually a good value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

mewse posted:

If you're doing a pricing comparison and using theoretical prices I don't see how that's useful, but sure

All prices are theoretical right now. GPU prices found today will be different a week from now. For their part, ABS/Newegg is likely only paying wholesale price for the parts they're using anyway. So using MSRPs at least gives you an idea of the markup happening.

But ultimately it wasn't even meant to be "useful" really, it's not like anyone here is gonna buy this thing. I just did a thing because I was bored and shared it here because it was relevant to the discussion.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 14, 2021

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

The entire point of the exercise is to find pre-builts that could be recommended to non-computer people, since not every computer-knower wants to build and support a system for all their friends and family. So, even if parts were purchasable at retail prices (or at all), you also have to factor in support/warranty on top of labor. The point is not to find the exact parts you want but somehow cheaper in a pre-built.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Tuxedo Gin posted:

The entire point of the exercise is to find pre-builts that could be recommended to non-computer people, since not every computer-knower wants to build and support a system for all their friends and family. So, even if parts were purchasable at retail prices (or at all), you also have to factor in support/warranty on top of labor. The point is not to find the exact parts you want but somehow cheaper in a pre-built.

This is why I will only build for kids (they have to help build it). Wanna be the cool dad/uncle and maybe introduce them to the hobby.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

~Coxy posted:

180W is nothing to a BEV.
Plus the idea is presumably that it gives you another "thing to do" while charging.

Just be glad they didn't use Ampere

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

This is why I will only build for kids (they have to help build it). Wanna be the cool dad/uncle and maybe introduce them to the hobby.

Yeah my dad's friend offered to help with my first build when I wanted to do one when I was a kid and that was neat because I'm pretty sure alone I would have hosed it up.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 15, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AOVWCnJYuo

Hardware Unboxed did a comparison between a laptop with an 8-core Zen 3 mobile CPU and a Navi 22 GPU, versus a desktop with an 8-core Zen 3 desktop CPU and a Navi 22 discrete GPU, to examine the value proposition of using a "gaming laptop" as a way of obtaining a computer with a GPU in it

It seems like it's ... close, if you're willing to shackle yourself to the inherent limitations of a laptop form-factor

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Those are some heavy shackles, though.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Gaming laptops have their use cases. The heavy shackles come from using them outside of those use cases. Otherwise they can be fantastic. I got a full 6 years out of mine before finally replacing it with my new desktop.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

They absolutely have their use cases but I'm not sure I would recommend one for somebody who wanted a desktop but couldn't get a GPU unless I knew that they absolutely fit the gaming laptop use case.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Oh absolutely. I was just saying don't automatically write them off, as they can still be very capable. I bought mine because I couldn't take a desktop on a submarine on deployment. After I got out, it worked for another 4 years just fine. It still works actually, but I was finally able to build a desktop with a newer better graphics card, as the 4GB 980M was getting long in the tooth.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKit8qPNyio

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

This is utterly repulsive tbh.

I do not get ASMR stuff. Like, at all.

I’m sure it will make them lots of money though, so good for them.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
ASMR is neat once you find something that doesn’t make you uncomfortable. There’s lots of weird poo poo out there for sure, but there’s also lots of normal stuff like unboxing a PS5 while whispering facts about it.

I think the first time I really noticed it was when Nintendo unveiled the Wii-U and Iwata did an unboxing about it. He was so gentle handling it and he’s got a nice voice so it triggered that sort of response for me.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.
love hearing every molecule of spittle clacking around the mouths of the employees of Linus Media Group

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Would have been cool if it was just the PC sounds without the voice over.

Also, lol that Linus is physically incapable of maintaining a whisper and keeps slipping out of it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

cage-free egghead posted:

ASMR is neat once you find something that doesn’t make you uncomfortable. There’s lots of weird poo poo out there for sure, but there’s also lots of normal stuff like unboxing a PS5 while whispering facts about it.

I thought ASMR was bullshit until I realized it was the indescribable feeling of relaxation that I get when having a haircut, flying on an airplane or getting a facial.

I actually kind on envy people that can trigger it without spending money.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Three Olives posted:

I thought ASMR was bullshit until I realized it was the indescribable feeling of relaxation that I get when having a haircut, flying on an airplane or getting a facial.

I actually kind on envy people that can trigger it without spending money.

If you aren't subscribed to Bob Ross on YouTube, you are missing out.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

BBC4 sometimes has The Joy of Painting on late at night and it’s a very good thing to stumble across channel hopping at 2am.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

njsykora posted:

BBC4 sometimes has The Joy of Painting on late at night and it’s a very good thing to stumble across channel hopping at 2am.

It's usually on around 7-8pm too.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Guess who's back :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNs432VgxmQ

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What makes ASMR weird is that group of people churning out explicit content, attempting to run another trend into the ground.

Anyway... I've just seen another Linus video about CNC machinery. What am I missing? Why are they setting up CNC routers in their place?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

After seeing a bit of the Linus ASMR video I went to twitch to show my wife some of the weird/real ASMR and the Amouranth was live, lying on a bed licking an double ear shaped microphone... mission accomplished?

EngineerJoe fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 20, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Now that the hot tubs got their own category, so that they can be hidden from the front page, they all latched to the next most popular non-gaming category, that shows on Twitch's frontpage, which is ASMR. Then again, they all have been largely been ear licking already, difference is that they haven't been prominently featuring butts in tight yoga pants as opposed to the fellow new girls.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

EngineerJoe posted:

After seeing a bit of the Linus ASMR video I went to twitch to show my wife some of the weird/real ASMR and the Amouranth was live, lying on a bed licking an double ear shaped microphone... mission accomplished?

Did you then inform your wife that she makes like a million dollars every month doing that?

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Combat Pretzel posted:

Now that the hot tubs got their own category, so that they can be hidden from the front page, they all latched to the next most popular non-gaming category, that shows on Twitch's frontpage, which is ASMR. Then again, they all have been largely been ear licking already, difference is that they haven't been prominently featuring butts in tight yoga pants as opposed to the fellow new girls.

I feel about 100 years old

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Adolf Glitter posted:

Extremely same I have no idea what any of that meant.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Adolf Glitter posted:

priznat posted:

Extremely same I have no idea what any of that meant.

Twitch bans sexual content if there's no context, so you can't have a girl in a bikini on her bed because there's no context to it other than sexual. A girl in a pool or hot tub is ok because the context is there that makes it non-sexual.

Someone figured out that you can buy a $200 inflatable hot tub and install it in your basement. They were taking over the IRL category so Twitch made a hot tub category which seems to be hurting the trend since those streams aren't appearing on the front page.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Basically every time women find something that’s popular all the guys on Twitch scream about it being unfair and it gets shuffled away. They did the same thing with vtubers and it’s where the Twitch dress code came from as well.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

Basically every time women find something that’s popular all the guys on Twitch scream about it being unfair and it gets shuffled away. They did the same thing with vtubers and it’s where the Twitch dress code came from as well.

I'm not going to defend this general trend, but I strongly suspect this particular case has a lot less to do with, 'gently caress women', but probably much more likely, 'we probably shouldn't be selling overtly sexualized content to our largely teenage demographic...for advertisers...'

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I suppose it's technically correct that the prudishness practiced by a lot of social media platforms and/or the payment processors that are associated with them is more a function of trying to avoid controversy and backlash than any kind of deliberate misogyny, but the effect on women is largely the same.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Depends entirely on which women you're talking about. Most of them aren't selling their body, but the audience the big OF streamers bring in has an impact on the character of the site as a whole.

Twitch has consistently made a lot of stupid decisions that have inevitably made things difficult, plus they have a long established and horrible history - Hasan, Twitch Korea, GiantWaffle & StivityBobo etc. I don't really feel sorry for them. I do wish youtube would make stream discovery suck less so they'd have some real competition.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 21, 2021

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

EngineerJoe posted:

Twitch bans sexual content if there's no context, so you can't have a girl in a bikini on her bed because there's no context to it other than sexual. A girl in a pool or hot tub is ok because the context is there that makes it non-sexual.

Someone figured out that you can buy a $200 inflatable hot tub and install it in your basement. They were taking over the IRL category so Twitch made a hot tub category which seems to be hurting the trend since those streams aren't appearing on the front page.

I saw a new thing last night. A girl who normally does art streams, and is actually pretty good, went onto stream. She had an inflatable flamingo bit wasn't in a pool of any sort, just sitting on the flamingo that was on the floor, while wearing a bathing suit. She was listed under hot tub streams and kept getting poo poo for not actually being in a hot tub. It was boring as hell either way.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Klyith posted:

Did you then inform your wife that she makes like a million dollars every month doing that?

Not anymore. Twitch just banned her for the very stream that our fellow goon watched with his wife.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Not anymore. Twitch just banned her for the very stream that our fellow goon watched with his wife.

Written like that it sounds like we have a kink

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

well why not posted:

Linus getting hot is the biggest surprise the show has ever done.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Yeah until he speaks and then WOMP
WOMP

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Face for movies, voice for late night infomercials.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
They do some kind of normalization or processing on his voice and it sounds like a low bit rate mp3 or something. Maybe a compressor, but it seems to hit his voice the hardest somehow

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

njsykora posted:

If it's inching towards content that's better suited for Chaturbate than Twitch, I'd say the actions are warranted. Also the kids demographic mentioned elsewhere.

What happened to the body painting stuff, anyway? For a while there's always been at least one with her painted tits out on my Twitch frontpage. That stopped happening eventually, too.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Honestly, if you think the hot tub stream stuff is explicit I hope you never go to a pool or beach or outside during summer.