Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I played a 5 hour round today behind a family of new golfers and a five some. 😞

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

5 hour 18 holes is becoming more and more the norm and it's really starting to bum me out. I miss pre pandemic consistent 4 hour times...sometimes 3 and a half if the group you were with were good. What happened guys?!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ClydeFrog posted:

I'm in the UK so probably not very helpful.

I'm in Japan and most of the sporting goods stores/golf shops seem to have plenty of very colorful women's golf clothing, but it's probably limited in terms of sizes and, well, access to Japan at this moment :v:

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:

Kirios posted:

5 hour 18 holes is becoming more and more the norm and it's really starting to bum me out. I miss pre pandemic consistent 4 hour times...sometimes 3 and a half if the group you were with were good. What happened guys?!

My local is spacing out tee times 8 minutes apart... It's impossible to play 4hr rounds when it's booked out on the weekend, 5hrs is a forgone conclusion.

Does make me want to join a private

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Since my FIL is retired and is my regular playing partner I'll just take time off mid-week to play.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Joining a private club this year has been one of the best decisions I’ve made. I have to listen to my friends complain about their rounds all the time but knowing I can just show up at my club without a tee time and play however many holes I want as fast as I want is amazing.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

hostile apostle posted:

My local is spacing out tee times 8 minutes apart... It's impossible to play 4hr rounds when it's booked out on the weekend, 5hrs is a forgone conclusion.

Does make me want to join a private

My home course went from 8 to 10 4 years ago, and that's when it became my home course. At 8, they are encouraging a 4:45 pace, and that is excruciating, and accepting an occasional 5 hour round, and there is no joy in that.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Daric posted:

Joining a private club this year has been one of the best decisions I’ve made. I have to listen to my friends complain about their rounds all the time but knowing I can just show up at my club without a tee time and play however many holes I want as fast as I want is amazing.

One of us! One of us!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/parsfarce/status/1406120697198374913?s=21

Lmao

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

we looking at the next furyk?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
The comments on that video got me to this, which was a fascinating read: https://golf.com/news/features/charles-barkley-golf-swing-where-why-it-went-wrong/

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It's always loving Top Golf

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
A couple friends of my wife got me on the Stanford course the other day for a twilight round. I had already brought my clubs on our trip since I planned on playing pasatiempo and Harding Park and was stoked to go. I did not know that they had not played before and were expecting an on course lesson from my 13 handicap rear end (I'm trash lol). We played a half hour first hole where I held my tongue while they looked for extra golf balls but after we finished I insisted we all played from the super forward tees and keep it a 9 hole round under the guise of getting dinner faster but mainly due to maintaining my sanity and finishing asap. After we moved up, the round itself was a lot more fun and I was 2 under through 9. Was pretty nice having 100 in or so with 6 iron off the tee on most holes though, if I never had to hit driver I'd be a sick player.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Dr. Capco posted:

I did not know that they had not played before and were expecting an on course lesson from my 13 handicap rear end (I'm trash lol).

I would loving kill to be a 13 handicap. God drat you.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Honestly the only reason I'm at my handicap is I'm a good(ish) iron and wedge player. My driver is a continuing work in progress and I don't spend enough time lag putting so I lose a lot of strokes to penalties and 3 putts. I routinely lose about 3 drives a round off the planet or put it somewhere where i have to punch out and try to get it close from 50 yards and make a sweaty up and down.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Happy Father’s Day golf goon dads.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
It was really good playing with a dad. Mine brought me into golf at around 9 years of age. I’m 35 now and he’s in his early 60’s. He’s suffered some illnesses over the years which has left his knees destroyed and his inner ears ruined so he’s having a hard time holding steady. I remember him being my size and banging it out 280-300 and now hes lucky to hit it 220 and it’s rarely down the middle. His putting is on point, though, and his chipping ain’t bad. I guess that’s the transition to being an old golfer I hear so much about.

It’s interesting to view the aging process through the lens of golf. It really is a game for any age, but it can weigh on your heart.

Happy Dad day to y’all.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Mcqueen posted:

It was really good playing with a dad. Mine brought me into golf at around 9 years of age. I’m 35 now and he’s in his early 60’s. He’s suffered some illnesses over the years which has left his knees destroyed and his inner ears ruined so he’s having a hard time holding steady. I remember him being my size and banging it out 280-300 and now hes lucky to hit it 220 and it’s rarely down the middle. His putting is on point, though, and his chipping ain’t bad. I guess that’s the transition to being an old golfer I hear so much about.

It’s interesting to view the aging process through the lens of golf. It really is a game for any age, but it can weigh on your heart.

Happy Dad day to y’all.

My dad's 87. Has shot his age as recently as two years ago, but went from drives around 220 to 180 in about a one year span.Like your dad, good around the green, still.

Hell, I'm 57 and my handicap is the lowest it has ever been.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Played 18 as a foursome this weekend on a course id never touched before and it was slow (around 6 hours). Being winter here by the end I was getting stiff but was happy I managed to hit under 100 as I come close to one year of golfing. Need to fix my driving otherwise I'll end up hitting hybrid off the tee forever, 200 metres down the fairway is better than spraying drives all over and losing strokes to lovely recovery shots.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I would like everyone to take a second today and give a big hearty LOL to ol' Brooksy DeChambeau for his...memorable back 9 today.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Kirios posted:

Gotta book those super early tee times in advance. The crowds for the early times are generally pretty habitual golfers and you’ll scoot around pretty quick.

The only saving grace of late afternoon tee times is that hopefully most of the people are only playing 9 and your back nine will be pretty quick.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Travel restrictions need lifting so everyone will gently caress off again and I can get a whiff of having a tee time on the weekend. :argh:

This is the message I sent to our signal golf group booking for next weekend:

Hit at a local par 3 with my dad yesterday for fathers day, and had an awful time, every shot was going way right and I couldn't figure it out. Went home and watched a bunch of youtube videos and recorded my swing and I think I know what's going on It's a combination of things:

- hip sway on the backswing putting all of my weight on my back foot
- my backswing doesn’t always go back to the same place
- sometimes I’m not actually squared up to the ball, but I’m like 2 or 3* off

Going to try to hit the range this week to specifically address these issues and see how things pan out.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jovial Cow posted:

Gotta book those super early tee times in advance. The crowds for the early times are generally pretty habitual golfers and you’ll scoot around pretty quick.

The only saving grace of late afternoon tee times is that hopefully most of the people are only playing 9 and your back nine will be pretty quick.

Pretty sure most of those coveted early morning tee times at the four county courses I can play in my county in NJ are more or less auto-booked by old men who are friends with the old men who run the check in at the pro shops.

8pm Saturday night is when tee times for the following weekend open up and if you don't book by 8:01pm you're not getting a tee time before noon.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

When everything shutdown last spring Ohio let golf courses stay open while PA didn’t. I’m near the border in Ohio and that’s what finally pushed me to join a private club. I probably get twice as many rounds in now compared to precovid. I can sneak a quick 9 in before work if I tee off before 8 now. So far none of my coworkers have called me out for never being available for meetings tues/thurs before 10.

Does anyone that keeps track of their scores for a handicap bother to enter 9 hole rounds? I know the usga let’s you do that now but I normally only count full rounds. There’s been more than a few rounds I have a good front 9, make the turn, and have a Bryson back 9.

Shrapnig posted:

Pretty sure most of those coveted early morning tee times at the four county courses I can play in my county in NJ are more or less auto-booked by old men who are friends with the old men who run the check in at the pro shops.

8pm Saturday night is when tee times for the following weekend open up and if you don't book by 8:01pm you're not getting a tee time before noon.

Write a little bot to book that 8AM Sunday tee time every week as soon as the tee times open up.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dangling pointer posted:

Does anyone that keeps track of their scores for a handicap bother to enter 9 hole rounds? I know the usga let’s you do that now but I normally only count full rounds. There’s been more than a few rounds I have a good front 9, make the turn, and have a Bryson back 9.

I log 'em all, 9 or 18. My club's back 9 is definitely tougher than the front, but that also seems to go into account for the USGA/GHIN system so it's not making me suddenly look better than I am just because I had a relatively easy 9 hole run after work one evening.

Also had my first round in 2 1/2 months yesterday in a Shamble (everyone tees off, everyone hits their 2nd from the best spot, then plays their own ball in), which is actually a pretty fun way to play. Hadn't done that before. Was a mess on approach but shockingly my putting worked a lot better after not having played in a while. Damndest thing.

Haven't been able to play in a while because some little freeloading poo poo showed up at our house in April and has been squatting ever since. Doesn't even pay the bills or help with chores or anything. SMDH.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 22, 2021

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DJExile posted:

I log 'em all, 9 or 18. My club's back 9 is definitely tougher than the front, but that also seems to go into account for the USGA/GHIN system so it's not making me suddenly look better than I am just because I had a relatively easy 9 hole run after work one evening.

Also had my first round in 2 1/2 months yesterday in a Shamble (everyone tees off, everyone hits their 2nd from the best spot, then plays their own ball in), which is actually a pretty fun way to play. Hadn't done that before. Was a mess on approach but shockingly my putting worked a lot better after not having played in a while. Damndest thing.

Haven't been able to play in a while because some little freeloading poo poo showed up at our house in April and has been squatting ever since. Doesn't even pay the bills or help with chores or anything. SMDH.

Congrats.

My wife and I had an agreement. I golf on Saturday. No exceptions. Literally every family thing is more important, so eventually, no consistent golf. So, we agreed, and it worked. Right until her water broke an hour before I would leave for my tee time on a Saturday. drat thing is, she didn't go into labor ever, and had to have a c section at 9 pm. I could have played and been back, no problem.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Can someone ELI5 what happens when you adjust your (Ping G425) driver head to go down a degree in loft? The guy at the pro shop said "oh yeah it's going to completely mess up the angle" and I was in too much of a rush to ask for an explanation.

oh found this — is it accurate? https://pluggedingolf.com/how-to-adjust-your-driver/

Petey fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 22, 2021

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Petey posted:

Can someone ELI5 what happens when you adjust your (Ping G425) driver head to go down a degree in loft? The guy at the pro shop said "oh yeah it's going to completely mess up the angle" and I was in too much of a rush to ask for an explanation.

Think of like this:

If the club is at its factory settings the clubface will be square at address.
If you go down a degree, it opens the clubface up a little bit.
If you go up a degree, it closes the clubface.

You can offset that a little bit if you're able to both go down a degree and adjust the clubface into a "draw" setting (mine has draw and neutral only).

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Petey posted:

I am far from an expert at this but from my understanding, going down in loft does the following:

- reduce spin (top and bottom, not left and right)
- increase distance
- reduce flight height

Common belief is that less loft makes the ball harder to hit because of the resulting reduction in ball flight, I think the idea is that even though the club isn't helping the ball gain as much altitude, you're smacking the poo poo out of it so hard that it launches in the air anyways.

I will let everyone else correct me if I'm wrong.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Petey posted:

I got fitted a while ago for irons, and on the way out, the dude said "Maybe we can see you about your driver in the future." I said, "Sure, this one is giving me some issues right now."

"Well, I've got some time, tell me what it does and maybe we can move around this old one until you come back."

I tell him, I've got a persistent fade that sometimes turns in to a hard hook or a push fade, and they're just way too high. Like, rocket launch high. This thing is a Callaway Rogue, and I had it set to 9.5* and with the draw setting.

He brings it up to 11.5 with the draw setting. Tells me that what happens is the draw setting, in addition to change the lie, will also subtract from the loft a little, so an 11.5 with draw is basically the same as a 10.5. He's got a client waiting, but tells me to try it out, if it doesn't work just put it back the old way.

I get out to the range the next day, and first couple are absolutely the hardest loving slices. But, I start to modify my swing, try to make it closer to what my natural swing is instead of doing all this youtube driver poo poo. Start swinging in to out, tucking in the elbow on the downswing, not trying to go too crazy on the 'hitting up on the ball'.

Well, lo and behold, they aren't dead straight or anything, but now they are a severe draw with an occasional hook, which I find much easier to aim. After several rounds of fiddling, I've got it set to 10.5 neutral, and am averaging 250.

I don't know if this helps at all.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Got it, thanks.

I hit a 9 degree G25 LST driver, and (still) tend to hit it with more height and spin than strictly advisable. When I hit it well, it goes up to the left and fades back to the center; when I miss, it goes a million miles high and to the right in either a slice or a push or both, and still goes far but is unplayable. I already have the weight all the way to "draw" to try and help with that.

So I was wondering if I could reduce to 8 or 8.5 to fix the height, but this is making it sound like that would make my tendencies even worse. So probably I'm going to focus on fixing my swing before I start dicking around with angles.

Petey fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 22, 2021

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

ElGroucho posted:

I tell him, I've got a persistent fade that sometimes turns in to a hard hook or a push fade, and they're just way too high. Like, rocket launch high. This thing is a Callaway Rogue, and I had it set to 9.5* and with the draw setting.

He brings it up to 11.5 with the draw setting. Tells me that what happens is the draw setting, in addition to change the lie, will also subtract from the loft a little, so an 11.5 with draw is basically the same as a 10.5. He's got a client waiting, but tells me to try it out, if it doesn't work just put it back the old way.

I get out to the range the next day, and first couple are absolutely the hardest loving slices. But, I start to modify my swing, try to make it closer to what my natural swing is instead of doing all this youtube driver poo poo. Start swinging in to out, tucking in the elbow on the downswing, not trying to go too crazy on the 'hitting up on the ball'.

Well, lo and behold, they aren't dead straight or anything, but now they are a severe draw with an occasional hook, which I find much easier to aim. After several rounds of fiddling, I've got it set to 10.5 neutral, and am averaging 250.

I don't know if this helps at all.

:stare:

I was typing my post while you posted this. The biggest thing I had changed when I started trying to hit this driver — after never really trying a driver for years — was some guy at the shop telling me to hit up on the ball. Which made me bomb it 250-280 but (too) often way high and right.

Maybe I'll try the neutral setting and a more "normal" swing, if I can even remember what that was...

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Petey posted:

Got it, thanks.

I hit a 9 degree G25 LST driver, and (still) tend to hit it with more height and spin than strictly advisable. When I hit it well, it goes up to the left and fades back to the center; when I miss, it goes a million miles high and to the right in either a slice or a push or both, and still goes far but is unplayable. I already have the weight all the way to "draw" to try and help with that.

So I was wondering if I could reduce to 8 or 8.5 to fix the height, but this is making it sound like that would make my tendencies even worse. So probably I'm going to focus on fixing my swing before I start dicking around with angles.

You mean a G425 LST, yes?

That LST driver has a gamer head and may not be a good fit regardless of settings.

https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/equipment/golf-clubs/drivers/ping/g425/g425/

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 22, 2021

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Petey posted:

:stare:

I was typing my post while you posted this. The biggest thing I had changed when I started trying to hit this driver — after never really trying a driver for years — was some guy at the shop telling me to hit up on the ball. Which made me bomb it 250-280 but (too) often way high and right.

Maybe I'll try the neutral setting and a more "normal" swing, if I can even remember what that was...

Yeah, everybody on the internet is obsessed with launching them Bryson style, but I'll gladly take 250-260 at or near the fairway over 290 and 2 to 4 out of 14 holes OOB. The penalty is just way too much.

So, I stopped teeing it up so high, stopped hovering the driver so much at address, and at the top of the back swing, tried to get my elbows to do that kind of ^ that feels good with irons.

What got me to stop teeing it so high was a video where Tiger said he doesn't get these new 4 inch tees, he tees it very low, because he doesn't lift his driver at address very much at all. I'd say that I probably tee the ball maybe 1- 1.5 inches up.

ElGroucho fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 22, 2021

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Do either of you use a strong grip? If not, this video (and others on the topic) helped me fix my inability to hit a driver: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUrFcF4nki4&t=249s. I also have a Callaway Rogue and was considering setting it to draw and doing something with the loft so I wouldn't have to use tall tees, but changing my grip pretty much instantly fixed all of my problems.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Keyser_Soze posted:

You mean a G425 LST, yes?

That LST driver has a gamer head and may not be a good fit regardless of settings.

https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/equipment/golf-clubs/drivers/ping/g425/g425/

Yes, I did. Not sure what gamer head means? Interesting to read the LST/SFT. I did try the SFT, but seemed to have better results with the LST, at least at the fitting.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Petey posted:

oh found this — is it accurate? https://pluggedingolf.com/how-to-adjust-your-driver/
On adjustable drivers, the shaft/adapter is not inserted "straight" into the clubhead but at a slight angle. This means that loft and face angle are coupled together and adjusting one also adjusts the other: lower loft = open face, and higher loft = closed face. If you sole the club before you grip it, you will be more likely to affect face angle, but if you square the clubface before you grip it, you will be more likely to affect loft. I say more likely because when face angle is open or closed to what you're used to, you may make subconscious adjustments.

As opposed to loft, lie can be adjusted independently of loft/face angle, but the only clubs that have this ability are Titleist with their SureFit adapter.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

My brother wants a rangefinder for his birthday. Any recs? Looking in the $150-200 range (or less) ideally.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Petey posted:

My brother wants a rangefinder for his birthday. Any recs? Looking in the $150-200 range (or less) ideally.

poo poo you just reminded me I lost mine recently and need to pick up a new one.

Looks like there are a bunch on amazon during their prime days deals.

This one has pretty good what seem like real reviews

https://www.amazon.com/Gogogo-Range...ods&sr=1-8&th=1

Think I'm gonna grab it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Petey posted:

Yes, I did. Not sure what gamer head means? Interesting to read the LST/SFT. I did try the SFT, but seemed to have better results with the LST, at least at the fitting.

Per GolfWRX/articles/reviews etc - It still looks like an advanced player head for the most part (look at the WITB who plays them) and sounds like a bad choice for someone who is fighting a right miss and is only a fit for only like 10% of normal players (per that article). It looks like most of the players get into that head because they can hit a draw too easily and want it relaxed - as opposed to most folks going the other way. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

A normal 9 degree G425 MAX with the weight in the middle and set at 10.5 and neutral would be my first suggestion to promote an easy draw.

For your LST club you can try this:

(Big + Setting (1.5°)) Neutral
or
(F+ Setting (1.0°)) Flat

or if you really want to try it at 7.5° and hit it even farther right :newlol: set it as:

(Big - Setting (-1.5°)) and Neutral

What is your handicap range and Trackman numbers?

I know for my 410 Plus 10.5 I leave the weight in the middle and just set it 0° or -1° flat when I want more rollout (like summer) - but I can't hit a slice or fade (even on purpose).

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 22, 2021