Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Open Source Idiom posted:

There will be no one who has got enough Jason Momoa after watching Black Sails. He's not in it!

Second season's being done by Jonathan Tropper (showrunner on Warrior and Banshee) so I'm excited.

If that is the case.....then See jumps to the top of my list of shows to watch next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

RestingB1tchFace posted:

If that is the case.....then See jumps to the top of my list of shows to watch next.

It's not bad! There's some killer action scenes in the first half, less in the back. Be aware: it's got scifi trappings, but it's closer to epic fantasy in scope and incident.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Didn’t everyone hate See season 1

e: I posted this not realising there was a new page

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

It's not bad! There's some killer action scenes in the first half, less in the back. Be aware: it's got scifi trappings, but it's closer to epic fantasy in scope and incident.

I think that sci-fi and fantasy can mix in great ways. One has had poor results in adaptation and the other has had no results (yet).....but Dune (Herbert) and Hyperion (Simmons) are my two favorite books of all time. Both have wonderful mixes of the two.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Was up until 3am last night binge watching season 2 of For All Mankind. I really enjoyed that show.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

There will be no one who has got enough Jason Momoa after watching Black Sails. He's not in it!

gently caress me you're right, it's like my brain just gave Momoa the role as captain Charles Vane.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Just finished up Halt and Catch Fire. Good recommendation fellas. Nice to see them stick the landing.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Underground Railroad is a hell of a series, it should be getting way more attention.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The reason for that episode, (spoilers for end of season four): I think they were trying to establish that the show could go on without Quentin, and that he wasn't the main protagonist before he died. I disagree with that, because he is the character that links most of the cast together, and was usually the one driving the main plot forward. That episode made me suspect they were going to kill him off.

Oooh that's an interesting take on it.

We actually finished The Magicians last night. All in all a really fun, ridiculous ride. Very self-aware in its own absurdity while not exactly making fun of itself, more "this is a ridiculous premise and we're just going to wallow in that" than "haha wizards, how dumb". It is a mark of how batshit the show was that I was confused as to why the hell Q had the page about the world seed in his drawer, since it didn't seem like his sort of deal at all. In the last or second-to-last episode when it turns out Santa put the paper in the drawer I went "oooooh that makes so much more sense" and then immediately went "how ridiculous is this show that 'Santa did it' is actually the most logical explanation?"

In the end I felt like the show did a super mixed job of character development, with some characters that were initially very one-note or stuck in the background becoming very complex and engaging over the series run (Margo, Josh, Elliot, Fen), while others that were right in the core group never felt like they evolved particularly beyond where they were when the show started (Kady, Quentin, Alice).

I also had mixed feelings about the musical episodes. They were silly and harmless, but I didn't really get into them. In particular having the second to last episode be a musical episode seemed like a questionable call; you've got five seasons worth of mythology and plot lines to knit together, and I'm listening to the cast do their impression of Pentatonix singing a Ramones song while doing West Side Story dance-fighting. I think I would have just laughed at the absurdity of it earlier in the season but at that point I was just thinking "do we really have time for this?".

Anyway, minor complaints aside it was a ton of fun. I wish there were more of it.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Trig Discipline posted:

Anyway, minor complaints aside it was a ton of fun. I wish there were more of it.

This was pretty much my experience with it too. I would watch the next season tomorrow if it dropped and I'm in the middle of moving.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Trig Discipline posted:

I also had mixed feelings about the musical episodes. They were silly and harmless, but I didn't really get into them. In particular having the second to last episode be a musical episode seemed like a questionable call; you've got five seasons worth of mythology and plot lines to knit together, and I'm listening to the cast do their impression of Pentatonix singing a Ramones song while doing West Side Story dance-fighting. I think I would have just laughed at the absurdity of it earlier in the season but at that point I was just thinking "do we really have time for this?".

The first couple musical episodes felt inspired. That last one felt like, "Oh poo poo, we should squeeze in one more before we end the show."

Merry Christmas, mother fuckers!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
We finished Rake (the Australian one, on Netflix), which has become one of favorite shows. I don't know that the last season was really necessary and I don't know that the finale couldn't have been better, but yeah, 100% recommend. The main protagonist reminds me a bit of Duchovny in Californication, although I think I like Richard Roxbrough's character even more (and the show was maybe a shade less gratuitous). There were times when Rake went too over-the-line silly but somehow it still worked for us.

We also watched a couple of short series

Lupin S2--(Netflix) Slick and fun, just like the first season. We liked it for a zippy popcorn show.

The Frozen Dead (Glacé) (Amazon I think)-- French serial killer series. I haven't watched many (any?) French shows so I don't have much point of comparison but with the tone/production and the snowy setting it felt like a Scandinavian noire. It was ok, but partly missed the mark for us especially towards the end. Maybe the writers were expecting a second season. It just threw too much in the pot.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

bowmore posted:

have fun, Deutschland 83 is easily in my top 10 of all time

Watching this now. First season was great, I'm midway through season 2. Still very good, although they have spent a lot of time on a side story that seems like it has a very obvious ending. I am hoping it ties back into the main plot. Kinda funny but I think the Brigitte character looks a lot like WH Press Secretary Jen Psaki. And idk if the hairstyle that Lenora wears has a name, but I think one of the South Park goth kids has that hair and that's funny too.

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
Katla on Netflix, liked it a lot. Also liked the fact that when the Swedes and Icelanders need to talk they both switch to perfect English.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sonderval posted:

Katla on Netflix, liked it a lot. Also liked the fact that when the Swedes and Icelanders need to talk they both switch to perfect English.

My wife was binging it and I caught large chunks. It sort of reminded me of Glitch but instead of dead people coming back the volcano made dead AND alive people copies?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Sonderval posted:

I was quite disappointed the show wasn't about this:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Just finished Made for Love and it was rather disappointing. I like the premise but they really can't figure out if their villain is an autistic toddler or slightly creepier Steve Jobs.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Just finished watching The Outsider. It was good and fun, although I thought the scratch reveal on Holly at the very end was dumb and spoon feed-y.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Any shows like The Magicians?

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
I also finished Tribes of Europa which was, ok I guess, nothing really happened until the last episode which came as a surprise as I expected it to be a bit longer than 6 episodes. Most of the teen actors were crap but I did like the discount not dead Rutger Hauer look alike.

Any other foreign language weird niche sci-fi fantasy shows I should watch?

Sonderval fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 21, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

There's a bunch, but you'll have to narrow down what you like about the show before anyone can give a solid recommendation.

That said, Netflix produced a blatant knock-off called The Order, and it's dumb fun. Also has Todd in it if you want more Todd. (You do, you want more Todd.)

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Lol I started the order but it's ruff watching 'hard white guy times' without knowing its worth it; I had read the books.

I like shows that explain magic, maybe magic schools. But mostly I like mages who are adults and maybe quest but honestly they can also be boring. I like Tom holt,an author, which is fantasy races doing contemporary jobs?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lol I started the order but it's ruff watching 'hard white guy times' without knowing its worth it; I had read the books.

I like shows that explain magic, maybe magic schools. But mostly I like mages who are adults and maybe quest but honestly they can also be boring. I like Tom holt,an author, which is fantasy races doing contemporary jobs?

The Order is very, very silly, and the more it leans into that the better the show got. But it never got particularly good.

The UK version of Being Human is a good urban fantasy show. A bit emo -- in the contextual sense, it was absolutely reacting to trends at the time -- but I think it earns it by being surprisingly brutal (both physically and emotionally; the show is very, very mean to its characters and comes to some very harsh conclusions about most of its cast). It's also funny as gently caress when it wants to be. A personal favourite, and still the high bar when it comes to televised urban fantasy IMO.

The US version is hyper trash with an obsession with lore. Avoid IMO.

The Nevers might be a good choice too. Some people round these parts have an allergy to Whedon's screwball comedy dialogue sensibilities, but I've never minded it. And his plotting and characterisation are still several standard deviations above the norm. More X-men than magicians, but strong stuff.

And if you're looking at witch soap opera, there's Motherland: Fort Salem. Seems quite popular among the young soap crowd, but I've not watched it, and that title is terminal. But it's on my too watch list.

(Also popular: Netflix's Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina. Lovely production design, but the camp sensibilities of Ryan Murphy at his least disciplined. I'd advise against it.)

Travelling further afield, you could look into Preacher, Evil, Channel Zero and Carnivalé.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just in time to catch up with the zeitgeist of twenty-odd years ago we've finally started watching Buffy. Three eps in and it's silly as hell and the effects are terrible but it's fun.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Trig Discipline posted:

Just in time to catch up with the zeitgeist of twenty-odd years ago we've finally started watching Buffy. Three eps in and it's silly as hell and the effects are terrible but it's fun.

I loving love Buffy, but I love Angel (the show) more.

Both shows bloom the further you get into them. These shows also don't get enough credit for nurturing a lot of very strong writers, and for defining the way serialised television would be structured, both episodically and over the course of a season, though it takes them a while to work it out. (Well them and Farscape.)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I agree that The Nevers is good and that Chilling Adventures of Sabrina sucks poo poo

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

No. I went down this rabbit hole and there really aren't shows that are goofy yet watchable that allows their characters to go through those types of changes in a real world and fantasy setting.... There should be!

Somehow looking for some new Kung Fu thing to watch, I stumbled onto Handsome Siblings on Netflix. It's a Chinese wuxia tv show and it's pretty awesome. Has anyone else seen this? It's a bit corny in places but it really tries hard to be a Shaw Bros-light piece. Two brothers are separated at birth. One is raised by a group of notorious villains and the other by a corrupt ruler. They are set up to meet and kill each other without knowing they are brothers (dun dun dunnnnn!). In the middle of all that there martial art characters based on the Chinese Zodiac that they have to defeat. They each have the power of their respected animal. And of course they are both going to fall in love along the way.

It's a lot of wire work and decent humor. 9/10 If you like Iron Monkey style movies then try it out.

And then we watched Ashes of Love because Handsome Siblings was so good. It's garbage. It's all about gods and spirits in different fairy realms. It starts out quirky and fun but quickly just goes boring for 40 episodes in a row. I had to bail and for some reason my girlfriend stuck with it ("I just want to know what happens"). Though she watched it at 1.5 speed.

That's it. If anyone has seen Handsome Siblings and would like to recommend us something to us, we would give it a try. We are looking for more wuxia stuff and less history/drama.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I actually really liked the first couple of seasons of Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. The writing in the later seasons got pretty bad for sure.

Thanks for the Katla recs. One episode in and it’s definitely my jam. It’s made by the same people who made Trapped which we loved. Already recognizing a lot of the same actors.

We also watched Wandavision, which we liked a lot. First half was better than the end. I definitely mourn for what it could have been if it weren’t a Marvel property but even the fact I’m thinking “What if David Lynch or Tim Burton had done this” means it did something right.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Sonderval posted:

Any other foreign language weird niche sci-fi fantasy shows I should watch?

There's The Rain, a Danish apocalypse show on Netfix. Not really my thing but it's arguably a weird niche sci-fi fantasy show.

Edit: Also Beforeigners on HBO which I do recommend. Unclear if it's fantasy or scifi though.

Owling Howl fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 22, 2021

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Also loving Dark, if you haven't.

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
Done Dark and Beforeigners but I'll give The Rain a try thanks!

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Sonderval posted:

Done Dark and Beforeigners but I'll give The Rain a try thanks!

Tribes of Europa if it hasn't been mentioned.

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
Beforeigners works more like a parody of time travel movies and the dialogue is incredible.

Katla is just horrifyingly depressing.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pajser posted:

Katla is just horrifyingly depressing.

We're through episode 3 now and yeah it's pretty heavy.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

I haven't seen the second season but Diablero was like a demon hunting tv show on netflix. It's in Spanish and pretty good.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Les Revenants is people coming back from the dead, it's in french. But not zombies, just back alive

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011

shirunei posted:

Tribes of Europa if it hasn't been mentioned.

Tried that one thanks, felt a bit short and the teen actors were kinda bad but liked it overall. Also watched Invisible City which was a nice dip into fantasy.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The first 33% of the 3% is really good. You absolutely have to stop at the end of season 1.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The first 33% of the 3% is really good. You absolutely have to stop at the end of season 1.
Then it's just the 1%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Les Revenants is people coming back from the dead, it's in french. But not zombies, just back alive

Yeah I really liked that one. In The Flesh is also an interesting take on the zombie genre, basically the idea is that there was a zombie outbreak but they got a vaccine and were able to turn the zombies back into people, more or less. Sorta exploring how you manage to live with neighbors who you watched eat your child or spouse last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omNou34OC-w

Not foreign language, but not American anyway.