Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Toast King posted:

I played a ton of this at launch, but got busy with life right after getting to the Grand Archives and dropped off playing. I don't think I realised that I was pretty close to the end. Eventually it'd been long enough that I'd forgotten everything I was doing and decided to shelve it for a while.

Elden Ring coming out soon gave me the motivation to come back and man I forgot how much I love the combat and visuals of this game. I've forgotten all the item locations and plenty of small details so it's a small taste of playing for the first time again.

I know for sure there's a couple optional areas I never got to, plus I've picked up the DLC so I'm excited to get to that eventually. Time to power ahead and use the biggest and most ridiculous weapons I can find.

lol exact same thing happened to me, interest kind of petered out cause I was playing other games, and it turns out I stopped like one doorway before the three NPC phantoms in Grand Archives :v:
I recommend the Vordt Hammer, it bonks good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Most of my previous builds in DS1 have been STR, or big DEX weapons, so I'm playing pure DEX this time for the first time.

Anyway, I've made it to Anor Londo, I have a +7 Sharp Sellsword Twinblades (one chunk from Demon Ruins lizard, one chunk from Snuggly), my stats are 27 VIG 24 END 40 DEX. Aka I'm slightly overgeared for the area. But what should I focus on next? Should I fous on filling in the rest of my points in VIG and END until I reach a higher softcap? Or should I start building up my ATT and FAI/INT, so I can use nice buffs like Tears or Darkblade?

Or should I simply do the former, spend excess souls on weapon resins, and later on respec those excess points into ATT and FAI/INT so I can immediately hit spell requirements?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Buff builds get great damage but they mostly shine in pvp or boss fights where you can buff up and just fight for a brief period before winning or losing.
They're kind of a pain to actually pve through the rest of the game with though, due to the whole limited buff duration / limited FP thing. Also it will take a pretty significant FTH investment before your buff spells get noticeably better than just using lightning resin, so it's probably better to just respec into it once you have enough points to instantly hit 40 or 60 or whatever.

It could be worth just picking up the minimum FTH/ATT for Tears of Denial though since it's more of a low maintenance set-it-and-forget-it thing.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Is there any chance somebody could carry a weapon from one of my my builds to another? Is that even a thing. I hosed up transforming the demon prince's soul and want to try the demon's scar for my pyromancer. I'm playing PS4 and in Wisconsin if that matters for server regions. I can give you anything I've got as payment.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Dancer was an actual roadblock, wow she was legit more difficult than everything up to that point.

I suspect it's because I was fighting her locked on, I should know better (I typically fight cleric beast sized enemies unlocked). Oh well, I farmed some Lothric Knights for chunks, I have Siegward's slab, so now I'm the proud owner of a +10 Twinblade. That I'll try out next time I load in.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
been playing again since the elden ring trailer came out and its been super active on ps4. near constant aldrich invasions and coop summons at most bosses.

finally got through all of ariandel and am working on finishing ringed city for the first time. that twin demon fight is something else and the rest doesnt sound much easier.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

Dancer was an actual roadblock, wow she was legit more difficult than everything up to that point.

I suspect it's because I was fighting her locked on, I should know better (I typically fight cleric beast sized enemies unlocked). Oh well, I farmed some Lothric Knights for chunks, I have Siegward's slab, so now I'm the proud owner of a +10 Twinblade. That I'll try out next time I load in.

Throw some human resin on your weapon, or if you're a pyromancer, use dark fire orb. Dancer melts to dark damage, she literally has negative resistance to it.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

deoju posted:

Is there any chance somebody could carry a weapon from one of my my builds to another? Is that even a thing. I hosed up transforming the demon prince's soul and want to try the demon's scar for my pyromancer. I'm playing PS4 and in Wisconsin if that matters for server regions. I can give you anything I've got as payment.

sure i can help out. region shouldnt matter as long as youre using passwords.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

And Tyler Too! posted:

Throw some human resin on your weapon, or if you're a pyromancer, use dark fire orb. Dancer melts to dark damage, she literally has negative resistance to it.

Yeah I didn't realize that until after I'd killed her. Maybe next game.

Anyway I'm absolutely flush with large shards, so I decided to +6 this Lothric Knight Sword, and I can see why people like it so much. But the actual enemies themselves are terrifying. Black and Silver Knights have nothing on the range and aggression of Lothric Knights. The way I see it, the best way to kill them is to either learn all their parry timings, or use weapon skill shields so you can WA-R1 with your straight sword and knock aside their shields.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Sir Tonk posted:

sure i can help out. region shouldnt matter as long as youre using passwords.

Hey, thanks. I decided I was wasting too much time on the game and should stop playing. I do appreciate the offer though.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Sir Tonk posted:

been playing again since the elden ring trailer came out and its been super active on ps4. near constant aldrich invasions and coop summons at most bosses.

finally got through all of ariandel and am working on finishing ringed city for the first time. that twin demon fight is something else and the rest doesnt sound much easier.

I just beat the twin demon fight last night, it was easily the hardest boss in the game so far and a real blast. Found killing the demon from below first made the prince form the much easier of the two. Which do you all prefer to fight?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
poo poo. I didn’t know there was a difference before I gave up, it just seemed like they both did the same moves.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
IIRC they alternate roles. One demon at a time will get up in your face to do melee stuff while the other will throw long-ranged pyromancies, but they can swap which is which mid-fight.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Last Celebration posted:

poo poo. I didn’t know there was a difference before I gave up, it just seemed like they both did the same moves.

They kinda do when both are up, but the kill order changes the super move the Demon Prince has. One form has a huge hyper beam attack, while the other summons a giant fireball that explodes into tons of falling meteors. I personally found the beam easier to deal with since when/if it misses you, there's a pretty big opening to lay into him.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's fun to mix up which one you kill first, they're both very cool super moves

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

GodFish posted:

Which do you all prefer to fight?
Laserbeamguy is way easier to fight, his Super goes in one direction. The Fuckoffmeteorguy is all over the place with his Super. Although I can never remember which to kill first to get Laserguy.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Laser guys cooldown was harder for me to use and his other moves kept catching me out, but fireball guy charges the meteor up for ages and I could just run away as soon as he started glowing to call them down and they would all miss.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I just found the Gotthard Twinswords, I Sharped and +10'd it. But I'm still getting used to it, it doesn't have the crazy wombo combo of the Sellsword Twinblades, but overall it seems more flexible. And it feels like the primary combo you want to use with it is L1 > R1.

Anyone have thoughts on how to use it?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I haven't paid much attention to Dark Souls in a long while. I wonder what's going on over there.

National Vulnerability Database CVE-2021-34170 posted:

Bandai Namco FromSoftware Dark Souls III allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code.
Oh...

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Okay, the DS1 thread has been lost to time so I'll ask in here: what would be three good weapons to spend my normal/twinkling/demon titanite on for a strength build? I don't want to just run the Zwei again, heard good things about the Black Knight Halberd for twinkling, is it actually a fun weapon by DS1 standards?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

multijoe posted:

Okay, the DS1 thread has been lost to time so I'll ask in here: what would be three good weapons to spend my normal/twinkling/demon titanite on for a strength build? I don't want to just run the Zwei again, heard good things about the Black Knight Halberd for twinkling, is it actually a fun weapon by DS1 standards?
Depends on what you mean with "fun" - it deals a fuckload of damage and has a good moveset, there's little wrong with it. Might need a little too much Dex for a "real" Strength build, however. It also doesn't scale too well with Str. If you are intent on going high, I'd rather use the Black Knight Greataxe, it's really drat good and has a higher Str scaling. Otherwise, there's not that many Twinkling Str weapons - the Stone Greataxe from the DLC, maybe.

As for Demon weapons, Smough's Hammer isn't that good imo (absurd weight, blocks your view, there's better clubs), but the Golem Axe might be interesting for you.

Normal: Taurus Demon's weapon (Demon Greataxe, confusingly normal upgrade path) is phenomenal once you have the Strength to use it, if you can get the Large Club it's also really good.

Thread's here btw

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

multijoe posted:

Twinkling: All the DS1 black knight weapons are quite fun, the halberd is probably the most useful, but it is a bit of a crapshoot which one (if any) you get since they’re not farmable till you get to the kiln. You can always restart rush the guy in Darkroot Basin like speedrunners do, but I don’t have the patience tbh. Could also try greatbows, they’re situationally useful and fun.

Regular: You can suicide run to the great club as soon as you get to Firelink if you have master key. It’s down at the bottom of Blighttown on the far side of Quelaag’s mound, and it’s pretty good. Later you have more patience you can farm the fat guys for the large club, or the serpent men in Sen’s for the MSGS. Both very good but kind of annoying to get.

Demon: There aren’t any real strength weapons that upgrade with demon titanite that I can think of. Smough’s hammer has terrible scaling despite the high req strength. Great lord greatsword is really good but it’s not super strength focused and also, NG+ only. Greatshield of Artorias is really good but doesn’t benefit from upgrades at all.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
So I got bored and decided to hang around and co-op in the Ringed City and I don't get what exactly a particular slice of players are up to: They summon a giant blob of random buddies at the Wall bonfire with the dried finger and then...slowly clear out the entire route down to the swamp and the swamp itself, fighting off the inevitable multitude of invaders the whole way. This isn't for progress - they have all the shortcuts unlocked, the Dragonslayer Armor is dead, no Midir in sight, etc. It's not a fight club thing, either. Soul farming? Mindless fun?

Regardless of their motives I kinda hate it because it's one of my least favorite areas and having 3-4 people running around doesn't improve it much at all. (And then if I bother to invade, oops all gank squads.) I just wanna help people clobber the bosses, dangit. :argh: (And occasionally get summoned to defend the church while I'm at it. :ssh:)

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 24, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Raygereio posted:

I haven't paid much attention to Dark Souls in a long while. I wonder what's going on over there.

Oh...

There are community-made mods like Blue Sentinel that aim to patch the vulnerabilities/exploits (and do some other stuff too, like automatically kick hackers).
But yeah From has pretty much abandoned development. I wouldn't expect a security fix patch from them ever.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I hated how Blue Sentinel would stop working because it had updated, and I'd have to go back to the page and download it and drag the new file into the DS3 folder again, and then make my config changes all over again each time. After the 2nd or 3rd update in a week I just gave up.

and yeah I know that's probably the most painless process possible given the circumstances :shrug:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Supposedly Bamco is aware of it, but who knows if anything will come of it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

skasion posted:

Twinkling: All the DS1 black knight weapons are quite fun, the halberd is probably the most useful, but it is a bit of a crapshoot which one (if any) you get since they’re not farmable till you get to the kiln. You can always restart rush the guy in Darkroot Basin like speedrunners do, but I don’t have the patience tbh. Could also try greatbows, they’re situationally useful and fun.

Regular: You can suicide run to the great club as soon as you get to Firelink if you have master key. It’s down at the bottom of Blighttown on the far side of Quelaag’s mound, and it’s pretty good. Later you have more patience you can farm the fat guys for the large club, or the serpent men in Sen’s for the MSGS. Both very good but kind of annoying to get.

Demon: There aren’t any real strength weapons that upgrade with demon titanite that I can think of. Smough’s hammer has terrible scaling despite the high req strength. Great lord greatsword is really good but it’s not super strength focused and also, NG+ only. Greatshield of Artorias is really good but doesn’t benefit from upgrades at all.

BKH isn't really a strength weapon, it's much more of a quality weapon. It's excellent though. And so are the other BK weapons, like the Sword, Greatsword, and Greataxe. One weapon to consider is Stone Greatsword, its 2h R2 has an absolutely obnoxious ability to slow debuff everyone around you.

Great club is legit one of the best strength weapons in the game. Demon Greataxe is decent, but some people dislike its sheer weight, and its AR is only marginally higher than the Great club. Manserpent Greatsword has an excellent moveset.

Finally, Gravelord Sword upgrades with Demon Titanite, but it barely counts as a strength scaling weapon, because its scaling sucks. Excellent Twink weapon though.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I finally have a system good enough to run DS3 on high and, man I love this drat game.
Im going with a pyromancer looking to build them into a horrible pyro knight of doom, like heavy armor and 2 handed ultragreatsword.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The Large Club, if you're lucky enough to get one, is definitely one of the best STR weapons. Its 1h R2 is actually fairly quick, and has huge range and width, which is a rarity for STR weapons. The 2h R2 is absolutely godawful though :shrug:

Phobophilia posted:

BKH isn't really a strength weapon, it's much more of a quality weapon. It's excellent though. And so are the other BK weapons, like the Sword, Greatsword, and Greataxe. One weapon to consider is Stone Greatsword, its 2h R2 has an absolutely obnoxious ability to slow debuff everyone around you.

While they have high DEX requirements, all of the Black Knight weapons have E-rank DEX scaling. They are STR-only weapons through and through and you should not level DEX more than you have to if you plan on using them.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 25, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I thought E stood for Excellent? this is very concerning

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

The Large Club, if you're lucky enough to get one, is definitely one of the best STR weapons. Its 1h R2 is actually fairly quick, and has huge range and width, which is a rarity for STR weapons. The 2h R2 is absolutely godawful though :shrug:

While they have high DEX requirements, all of the Black Knight weapons have E-rank DEX scaling. They are STR only weapons through and through and you should not level DEX more than you have to if you plan on using them.

The secret use of the large club 2HR2 is a stylish alternative riposte.

The halberd and the sword have kind of crappy scaling overall, but are still good because of their high base damage. The halberd in particular requires a fair bit of STR but doesn’t get much bonus from it. Sword is pretty low stat reqs compared to the others and can easily be used on a quality character. The greataxe and greatsword have good STR scaling too.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I thought E stood for Excellent? this is very concerning

Super cool
Alright
Bad
Crappy
Does nothing
Eat poo poo

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Yeah Im looking to main greatswords for sure.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Make a beeline for the Astora Greatsword imo. It's an Ultra GS but it's actually fairly light and you can get it relatively early on, it also scales well with just about any infusion and its weapon art is amazing for PvP rollcatching.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I'm pretty sure From uses how cool a weapon looks as part of its balance. Hence why a BIG STICK is the Ultima weapon of this game.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

While they have high DEX requirements, all of the Black Knight weapons have E-rank DEX scaling. They are STR-only weapons through and through and you should not level DEX more than you have to if you plan on using them.

Yeah sorry I don't know why I characterized BKH as quality, it is indeed a STR weapon with an unreasonably high DEX requirement. In the same way Murakumo is a DEX weapon with an unreasonably high STR requirement. BK weapons have crappy scaling, ergo you want to hit those minimum requirements for either 1h or 2h use, and basically stop there.

Yeah there just aren't good STR options for the use of Twinkling Titanite. But it's no big deal tbh.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Smough's and Ledo's hammers are very strong STR weapons and can be upgraded with Twinkling fwiw. The catch is they are absurdly heavy, and Ledo's in particular needs 60 STR to one-hand.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

Yeah sorry I don't know why I characterized BKH as quality, it is indeed a STR weapon with an unreasonably high DEX requirement. In the same way Murakumo is a DEX weapon with an unreasonably high STR requirement. BK weapons have crappy scaling, ergo you want to hit those minimum requirements for either 1h or 2h use, and basically stop there.

The Black Knight weapons are actually kind of cheeky in that the ones that display D-scaling for STR are actually juuuuuuust short of C-scaling internally. Coupled with their very high base damage, you're actually getting ~+4 AR per level of STR, which is roughly comparable to the increase of damage you'd expect leveling a B- or A-scaling standard weapon! HOWEVER! You're actually still right because all the BK weapons have such high STR requirements that 2-handing them at base requirements will easily put you over the STR softcap, so you don't actually need to spend more points anyway :v:

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I have a dark mage at sl 80 with all the good dregs and casting stuff. I played it last in April of 2020 and was using the dark souls cheat sheet website 5o track my progress... not sure what happened but now I am pretty far into the ringed city and my saved file for the progress website is showing that I am still in like... grand archives. This is triggering me, heh. Now the question is do I keep dicking around invading trespassers or continue to progress without the checklist. There are like 967 things and I wanted to 100% it. I could restart... only played that save like 50 hours :V

Do many people do ng+? I have honestly not messed with it. It could be fun to start with all the he gear and play all the way through with that setup.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

NG+ is where the real fun begins, particularly if you enjoy PvP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

exile greatsword is my little baby. but i do not seek out pvp where i assume it's bad