Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

It threw away the delicate elegance and replaced it with an overly-busy Star Wars-lite aesthetic that's plagued the series ever since. The luminescence is beautiful, though.

Horseshit. It's classic art deco.

There's absolutely nothing overly busy about this:

And it's funny that you call it Star Wars-lite, because Ralph McQuarrie did art for a Trek movie that had been in the works since 1975, Planet of the Titans, and his concept for the Enterprise was essentially the saucer bolted onto a Star Destroyer:

Paramount canceled Planet of the Titans in May 1977, however, and I'll forever be bummed that we never got to see a Star Trek movie directed by Phil Kaufman (Invasion of the Body Snatchers), with production design by Ken Adam (like almost every Bond movie up through the early '80s) and starring Toshiro Mifune as the lead Klingon heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought they were talking about the bridge?

I love peak TV. How else would such a great show like Betty be able to exist?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
We switched from bridge to ship.

Timby posted:

Horseshit. It's classic art deco.

There's absolutely nothing overly busy about this:

I disagree.

It's not just level of detail in those images—TMP has so many more angles and lights and colors and textures and cutouts and new shapes, which I think are unnecessary and just add visual nose with no significant benefit (though if pressed, I'm more or less fine with the triangular pylon shape).

Timby posted:

And it's funny that you call it Star Wars-lite, because Ralph McQuarrie did art for a Trek movie that had been in the works since 1975, Planet of the Titans, and his concept for the Enterprise was essentially the saucer bolted onto a Star Destroyer:

Right. McQuarrie makes things look busy and lived-in and adds a lot of surface texture. I don't know whether or not that ended up having some trickle-down effect on the TMP Enterprise or not, but what I loved about the TOS ships is how sleek and elegant they were.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So a really weird bit of cross marketing is currently on Cartoon Network right now, "Teen Titans Go! See Space Jam" where the Teen Titans are MST3King Space Jam. Not as heavy on the jokes as actual MST3K but they do take the piss out of the movie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

We switched from bridge to ship.

I disagree.

It's not just level of detail in those images—TMP has so many more angles and lights and colors and textures and cutouts and new shapes, which I think are unnecessary and just add visual nose with no significant benefit (though if pressed, I'm more or less fine with the triangular pylon shape).

You want busy? Here's busy:

yo dawg i heard u like sharp edges and greebles so i put edges on your greebles and greebles on your edges

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Timby posted:

You want busy? Here's busy:

yo dawg i heard u like sharp edges and greebles so i put edges on your greebles and greebles on your edges

gently caress that hurts to look at, I feel like my eyes can’t rest anywhere

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lol what the gently caress is that from, one of the recent movies?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If 25 years ago is recent.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I want you to think about the fact that you phrased that like some sort of own, given what the topic at hand is

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Escobarbarian posted:

lol what the gently caress is that from, one of the recent movies?

The Enterprise-E, as seen in Star Trek: First Contact, Insurrection and Nemesis.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
In fairness, the Enterprise-E only got absurdly ugly and busy from 1998 onwards. In its debut movie it was relatively clean, presumably because it was an actual model instead of the cg asset nightmare you see in Nemesis.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

In fairness, the Enterprise-E only got absurdly ugly and busy from 1998 onwards. In its debut movie it was relatively clean, presumably because it was an actual model instead of the cg asset nightmare you see in Nemesis.

Well, those first two shots I posted are from First Contact, and it's still horribly busy in those. Almost looks like the deflector dish is a mouth screaming at the audience, "WITNESS ME!"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Timby posted:

Well, those first two shots I posted are from First Contact, and it's still horribly busy in those. Almost looks like the deflector dish is a mouth screaming at the audience, "WITNESS ME!"

Sure, but the aztecing and paneling in the latter two films is so much worse than in FC.

It’s an ugly design to begin with, though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Black Monday: okay episode, but the killer has to be Corky, right? (June Diane Raphael's character). There aren't any other suspects besides Thomas Barbusca or someone hiding in his enormous hairdo, and they've already leant pretty hard on that one back in the first episode.

Also was Andrew Rannells less available this season due to corona? It feels like he's not with the supporting cast a lot, or is being filmed pretty far away from them when they do interact. I miss that dynamic, Also did I miss an explanation of how he was drugged? I assumed it was in the alcohol, but I must have missed the key point as to how and why it got there.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Huh. S5 of Rick and Morty starts tonight. I like the show but I don't think I've thought about it once since S4 ended, unlike say, Solar Opposites.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rick and Morty is kind of exhausting to me at this point. I can't be alone in feeling this, right? It's a very clever show... which is absolutely not the same thing as "smart." And the extent to which it revels in that cleverness to the point of constantly throwing total nihilism in your face gets less appealing to me all the time. I enjoy it while I'm watching it but I still haven't finished Season 4.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also it's kind of amazing that that show thinks it gets to act too cool for school ever again after Elon Tusk

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
And like most of his appearances in TV shows, it was because the person who arranged it thought that Musk would just give them a free Tesla simply for letting him be on their show.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Arist posted:

Rick and Morty is kind of exhausting to me at this point. I can't be alone in feeling this, right?

Best thing with R&M is just watch it, laugh and enjoy, then never discuss or read anything further into it with anyone. Tonight’s episode was fun.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
R&M is one of those shows where the fandom (and one of the creators) has just completely poisoned the well for me. I’m pretty sure I watched thru the third season, but you couldn’t pay me to go back and rewatch it or watch the new seasons.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Imagine having your enjoyment of a goofy irreverent thing dictated by externalities that you have to personally seek out.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

bull3964 posted:

Imagine having your enjoyment of a goofy irreverent thing dictated by externalities that you have to personally seek out.

I’m sorry I don’t like a now-ubiquitous show and its extremely aggressive fans?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's way, way less omnipresent that it used to be.

See: this thread's post count following this premier.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Just say you don't like a show and stop trying to dress it up with some sort justification. People are allowed to not like things.

It's never "this show wasn't my thing" and it's almost always "here's my reasons why you should feel bad for liking a show." There's a difference.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I don’t like the show. I said that.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I've never seen an episode of Rick and Morty, but allow me elucidate exactly what the so-called "gas leak" season of Community means to the greater continuity of the show and how it shapes the greater framework of

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don’t like the show. I said that.

You originally said that "the well was poisoned" which implies you did like it and now you don't, even going so far as to say that the stuff that you did watch before was ruined to the point you couldn't watch it again.

poo poo like that is honestly more exhausting than fandoms for shows because you can avoid fandoms by not engaging. This isn't even a specifically Rick and Morty thing. It's another manifestation of 3rd season syndrome where someone gets bored with a show or realizes they never liked it and then has to invent either a precipitous drop in quality or some other external reason why they just can't possibly tolerate another moment.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

bull3964 posted:

It's another manifestation of 3rd season syndrome where someone gets bored with a show or realizes they never liked it and then has to invent either a precipitous drop in quality or some other external reason why they just can't possibly tolerate another moment.

Right, because if tv shows are known for anything it’s remaining constant and unchanging from series premiere to series finale. If you liked season 1 of something you’re absolutely 100% guaranteed to like seasons 7-15!

Or, it could be that I liked seasons 1&2 fine but season 3 left me completely cold and I was willing to give it another shot until hearing about Dan Harmon’s bullshit and the emerging toxic fandom, at which point I decided it probably wasn’t something worth my time to pursue.

Is that explanation specific enough to satisfy your argument?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oh my god the C.W. backstory episode of Mythic Quest, just absolute banger. 10/10.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

bull3964 posted:

It's another manifestation of 3rd season syndrome where someone gets bored with a show or realizes they never liked it and then has to invent either a precipitous drop in quality or some other external reason why they just can't possibly tolerate another moment.

I mean, people can also just move on and not find the enjoyment they once found, but yeah I largely agree.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Right, because if tv shows are known for anything it’s remaining constant and unchanging from series premiere to series finale. If you liked season 1 of something you’re absolutely 100% guaranteed to like seasons 7-15!

Or, it could be that I liked seasons 1&2 fine but season 3 left me completely cold and I was willing to give it another shot until hearing about Dan Harmon’s bullshit and the emerging toxic fandom, at which point I decided it probably wasn’t something worth my time to pursue.

Is that explanation specific enough to satisfy your argument?

Shows poo poo themselves on finales and can go on too long and get stale, but yes, most are remarkably consistent for most of their run. There are misses and low spots in a run, but shows rarely suddenly become something completely different and massive sudden drops in quality are largely hyperbole.

Season 5 premiered tonight. You decided to leave it at season 3 which aired its final episode over 3.5 years ago.

To put it another way, Episode 42 of 101 aired tonight. Hearing every 18 months for the next 10 years about how someone dropped a show several presidents ago over 'reasons' is going to get really loving tedious.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
why do you care this much about what one person does not like

I said I didn’t like the show and I gave my reasons why. You could have just disagreed and scrolled past it without comment, but instead you’re writing essays on the subtext of my post and trying to classify my personal taste using TV Tropes terms.

If anything, you’re proving my point about the loving fandom. I’m allowed to not like the goddamn show anymore without you feeling obligated to defend its honor.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

Black Monday: okay episode, but the killer has to be Corky, right? (June Diane Raphael's character). There aren't any other suspects besides Thomas Barbusca or someone hiding in his enormous hairdo, and they've already leant pretty hard on that one back in the first episode.

Also was Andrew Rannells less available this season due to corona? It feels like he's not with the supporting cast a lot, or is being filmed pretty far away from them when they do interact. I miss that dynamic, Also did I miss an explanation of how he was drugged? I assumed it was in the alcohol, but I must have missed the key point as to how and why it got there.

I’m enjoying most of the storylines still but the Andrew Rannells one appears to have taken a sharp left turn off a loving cliff

bull I think perhaps you don’t understand just how bad the Rick and Morty fandom actually is. I can totally buy it putting people off further if they’re already wavering on the show.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I once had a kid try to use the teriyaki sauce as currency at the comic shop.

So yeah, the R&M Fandom fuckin sucks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Big Mean Jerk posted:

why do you care this much about what one person does not like

I said I didn’t like the show and I gave my reasons why. You could have just disagreed and scrolled past it without comment, but instead you’re writing essays on the subtext of my post and trying to classify my personal taste using TV Tropes terms.

If anything, you’re proving my point about the loving fandom. I’m allowed to not like the goddamn show anymore without you feeling obligated to defend its honor.

I'm picking on you and I apologize. It was just one example of a recurring theme that comes up over and over again. Hell, you were even on the other side of it when someone was like "Does anyone even still care about Stranger Things?"

If nothing else, maybe we can come to a middle ground in agreeing that having a general chat thread that's peppered with "i hate this show" posts that otherwise don't add to the discussion is kinda annoying. I mean, yeah, I'm hounding you about this, but you also decided to interject about a show you dropped over 3 years ago just because someone mentioned that the new season was starting tonight.

Rhyno posted:

I refuse to believe that was the worst thing that was ever offered for payment at a comic shop.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sweaty sock money was a daily occurrence.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rhyno posted:

Do you mean the Mulan sauce? Was that really just teriyaki? gently caress you Disney.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

bull3964 posted:

I mean, yeah, I'm hounding you about this, but you also decided to interject about a show you dropped over 3 years ago just because someone mentioned that the new season was starting tonight.

I wasn’t even the first person who popped in to say they didn’t like it after that initial post about the premiere was made.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

Do you mean the Mulan sauce? Was that really just teriyaki? gently caress you Disney.

It was like, tangy teriyaki or something. Some guy put the recipe on reddit at the beginning of that dumb poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'll also say I didn't really care for this episode of Rick and Morty. It started out kind of interesting but ended up being pretty lame.