Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mexi
Mar 17, 2003

Time to call it a night.

Kazinsal posted:

People in helos suck a lot less than they used to. I think I probably fired off two dozen stingers in a match on Paracel Storm last night and didn't hit a fuckin thing.

learning how to use the fly by wire launchers definitely increased my effectiveness against helicopters

also remember matches where an enemy player would be screaming in chat for the other team to stop using stingers. uhm no??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

mexi posted:

learning how to use the fly by wire launchers definitely increased my effectiveness against helicopters

also remember matches where an enemy player would be screaming in chat for the other team to stop using stingers. uhm no??

I'm a big fan (the ironic kind) of servers that ban stingers on maps with air vehicles.

Now why would the admins do that...

:thunk:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

drat, how I missed this. :feelsgood:

https://i.imgur.com/hXfk9vI.mp4

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Yami Fenrir posted:

Yeah it seems to be just broken. Whenever I try to save it says "incompatible selections" or something like that.

When I brought up using Battlelog in chat the response was "lol boomer" :corsair:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgdcyXeXBMo

codo27 posted:

I think most of that stuff is broken for bf4 now. Hooked up with a goon last night from discord, but I just use the in game server browser and stuff now instead of Blog. I'm using this new EA desktop beta app instead of origin, and it seemed to use a totally different friends system all together. I couldn't see or accept his invite until I relaunched in origin. And even then we both had to restart the game again before we could see each other. And even then squad building in the menu was out of the question, I had to just join a server and let him join on me... and they put him on the other team. It did keep us together once we got in the same squad though.

Jenny Agutter posted:

That ea desktop app is one of the worst programs I've ever used. Electron is a scourge
I think Origin uses Electron too? But yeah it's not as bad because Origin is at least a mature program and not in perpetual beta.

My experience was that I downloaded it with EA DESKTOP COMMANDER BETA and it seemed to download the whole thing but got hung up on installing one of the expansions, and nothing I could do would fix it. I could play the game but after a bit my guns disappeared and I couldn't use them.

After realizing that EA DESKTOP COMMANDER has NO REPAIR FUNCTIONALITY so I would have to uninstall and reinstall it entirely, I just re-installed it from Origin instead.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Battlefield 4 surge is hilarious. between that and the reaction to the 2042 trailer, I wonder if they will ever make another historic BF game again.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyways time to go reinstall BF4. That sounds like a good idea actually.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

veni veni veni posted:

The Battlefield 4 surge is hilarious. between that and the reaction to the 2042 trailer, I wonder if they will ever make another historic BF game again.

If it's anything like Infinity Ward/Activision and COD, not looking good. IW made a killer game in COD:MW 2019. After that they poo poo out a piece of garbage game, COD Cold War. Not sure if they will ever reach the quality of MW again.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Inner Light posted:

If it's anything like Infinity Ward/Activision and COD, not looking good. IW made a killer game in COD:MW 2019. After that they poo poo out a piece of garbage game, COD Cold War. Not sure if they will ever reach the quality of MW again.

Modern Warfare 2019 was developed by Infinity Ward and the Black Ops series is developed by Treyarch. They've been alternating releases like that since the original Modern Warfare and World at War.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

veni veni veni posted:

Why aren't people playing BF1/BFV instead? Oh right, because they're terrible.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Mustang posted:

Modern Warfare 2019 was developed by Infinity Ward and the Black Ops series is developed by Treyarch. They've been alternating releases like that since the original Modern Warfare and World at War.

That's a good point, I reserve judgement until we see another IW title then.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mustang posted:

The inconsistency sucks regardless, but you are right BF doesn't work like COD where it switches devs every year for 3 years.

Cold War has grown on me but MW2019 reignited my interest in COD and it was such a bummer to just go back to old COD after a soft reboot. I only begrudgingly switched to it because no one I play with was playing MW or Warzone anymore.

Inner Light posted:

That's a good point, I reserve judgement until we see another IW title then.

The next one (by sledgehammer I think?) is using the MW2019 engine so it should go back to at least feeling more like MW again this year. I dunno it is super weird that they are releasing these games that feel super different year to year but some people really prefer the blops gameplay for some reason.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 21, 2021

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

Look closer at what happens at 7 seconds.

There’s an explosion and he gets shot by something? What am I missing?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Blops feels like a chinese rip off of real COD.

gun feel in MW 2019 is incredibly good. its addictive to shoot guns in that game.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
I literally can't think of a worse shooter than MW2019 that isn't another COD, it's ridiculous hair splitting to act like CW is some grand crime against it's legacy.

all the complaining is working though, I swear CW is more like MW every time the free weekend rolls around

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Rockstar Massacre posted:

I literally can't think of a worse shooter than MW2019 that isn't another COD

Agreed. COD has just turned into such a poo poo game the last 4+ years, this was seen as a grand success.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

BF1 has horse mounted cavalry so it's the best Battlefield game by default. Spearing people while charging on your trusty steed is a top tier gaming experience.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

RCarr posted:

There’s an explosion and he gets shot by something? What am I missing?

The two shells from one of the shore defense cannons pass by on their left and right. If you slow the video down you can even see the models of the shells moving. It’s not the most immediately impressive clip but it is neat you can see the detail.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I'm playing BF4 to shake my year long rust off and also because BF4 was (in my opinion) basically marketed as "BF4 but more".

There's also it being the most recent modern Battlefield game in the series.

Like BF1 isn't bad, but I could just never get into it the same way I got into BC2/BF3/BF4 all the same.

I've not even bought BF5 and from what I hear I dodged a bullet there?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I figure we'll see them do another attempt at Vietnam in the future as a way to flex the new hardware in a way different than 2042's huge scale, for Vietnam it would be for extremely detailed foliage and terrain in general

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

drrockso20 posted:

I figure we'll see them do another attempt at Vietnam in the future as a way to flex the new hardware in a way different than 2042's huge scale, for Vietnam it would be for extremely detailed foliage and terrain in general

From your lips to EA's ears. I'd be super psyched for a recreation of BF: Vietnam with an updated engine (and phenomenal music licensing).

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Or it's because Amazon is gave away Battlefield 4 for free from June 1st to June 21st

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

veni veni veni posted:

I mean I remember BF4 being dead as gently caress after its disastrous launch. It got kind of a R6:Siege style resurgence after the updates, but for a while it was looking like BF as a franchise was gonna die.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Considering the skyscraper levolution collapse on shanghai crashed the game for most people, its a wonder bf4 managed to retain any people at all

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Siege of Shanghai was a way better map if that skyscraper never went down anyway, BF4.exe was just doing everyone a favor

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

drrockso20 posted:

dang imagine if they did that and added the various dustups from like 1945 onward where the fighting got into all sorts of weird nation/guns/geopolitical alignment bingo card poo poo

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Chillgamesh posted:

Siege of Shanghai was a way better map if that skyscraper never went down anyway, BF4.exe was just doing everyone a favor

Hard disagree.

Intact skyscraper means eternal rooftop camping via parachuters and elevator camping. That thing should go as a matter of principle, imo.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This has probably occurred to me before and I forgot but while the levelutions in BF4 are certainly visually impressive pretty much all of them are just so lame in how they are triggered. I wouldn’t call them easter eggs because that implies a convoluted series of triggers but they’re in the same ballpark. None of them are things that happen due to normal gameplay but things you have to go out of your way to trigger. You basically only see them because you or someone else wanted them to happen spent 1-2 minutes in a tank shooting the thing that needs to be shot. The dam is probably the dumbest because the dam would never get hit otherwise and it doesn’t even really change the map either.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Kibayasu posted:

This has probably occurred to me before and I forgot but while the levelutions in BF4 are certainly visually impressive pretty much all of them are just so lame in how they are triggered. I wouldn’t call them easter eggs because that implies a convoluted series of triggers but they’re in the same ballpark. None of them are things that happen due to normal gameplay but things you have to go out of your way to trigger. You basically only see them because you or someone else wanted them to happen spent 1-2 minutes in a tank shooting the thing that needs to be shot. The dam is probably the dumbest because the dam would never get hit otherwise and it doesn’t even really change the map either.

Agreed. I hope the whole claim of "more destructible environment" is true. Bring back BC2's "we accidental'd the entire village" dice!!!!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Yami Fenrir posted:

Hard disagree.

Intact skyscraper means eternal rooftop camping via parachuters and elevator camping. That thing should go as a matter of principle, imo.

I'd rather need to lob 12ga frag or airburst up there to brush the dorks back once in a while than deal with the same dorks sniping with tanks from the boardwalks and camping mid with helicopters

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

FAUXTON posted:

I'd rather need to lob 12ga frag or airburst up there to brush the dorks back once in a while than deal with the same dorks sniping with tanks from the boardwalks and camping mid with helicopters

Ehh I'd argue there's usually too many up there for that to be effective.

Really the bigger issue is that an intact skyscraper just attracts pubbies like moths to the flame and you always end up with half your team either on rooftops or getting murdered trying to get onto the skyscraper so they can be the one to rooftop camp, imo.

Either way they aren't playing the goddamn objective. Taking away their easy rooftop access helps a lot with that I find.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jun 21, 2021

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Yami Fenrir posted:

Ehh I'd argue there's usually too many up there for that to be effective.

Really the bigger issue is that an intact skyscraper just attracts pubbies like moths to the flame and you always end up with half your team either on rooftops or getting murdered trying to get onto the skyscraper so they can be the one to rooftop camp, imo.

Either way they aren't playing the goddamn objective. Taking away their easy rooftop access helps a lot with that I find.

they don't play the objective with the skyscraper down since they just shift to the other roofs and snipe into the middle, at least with the building standing they're fighting each other on a contested point and you get the added bonus of being able to parachute down firing a SMAW at tanks and throwing mines on the bridge

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

As soon as they fixed the skyscraper crashing the server, I always took it down with C4 unless my team had a good hold of it. Waiting halfway the tickets to destroy it means that most pubbies will be confused about what will their new high camping spot, usually meaning empty points to capture.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I can’t loving believe EA uses TWO desktop applications, wasnt Origin enough?!?!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Al-Saqr posted:

I can’t loving believe EA uses TWO desktop applications, wasnt Origin enough?!?!
Remember EA Link? EA Downloader? EA Download Manager?

That's ok, neither does EA.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

The United States posted:

Remember EA Link? EA Downloader? EA Download Manager?

That's ok, neither does EA.

Can't wait for the first Battlefield in ages to have solo bots but also always online that'll lock you out when EA pulls the plug. I mean hopefully not, but lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Pennsylvanian posted:

I mean I remember BF4 being dead as gently caress after its disastrous launch. It got kind of a R6:Siege style resurgence after the updates, but for a while it was looking like BF as a franchise was gonna die.

For sure. it was flat out unplayable for like 3 months and still in awful shape for another 3. It seriously took 6 months post launch for that game to be good. it's kind of amazing how much it was able to rebound after a launch so bad. The level of drama surrounding it would have been 10 fold in 2021 with how bloodthirsty people are these days. Once it became good, it was drat good though.

I actually played the campaign like 2 years after the game came out and it was still bugged so none of your progress would save, at least on PS4 lol. I had to play the whole drat thing in one sitting. Also, the aside from that the BF4 campaign is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

BlackIronHeart posted:

BF1 has horse mounted cavalry so it's the best Battlefield game by default. Spearing people while charging on your trusty steed is a top tier gaming experience.

This post speaks to my very soul. Spearing fools and then flinging ammo and health packs like trench Santa will never get old.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Installed BF1 as well as 4; I'll probably try to figure out 1's bizarre upgrade system before I give up on it again. I like that you can call for backup, I needed a new thing to spam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
enemy boat spotted