Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Worth noting is that 5th Edition isn't balanced around PVP at all, which means when PVP breaks out it's frequently unbalanced, unfair, and over very quickly because PC damage output outpaces PC HP pools. Monks spamming Stunning Strikes is top tier regressive bullshit with no counterplay

Froghammer fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I don't think any version of D&D really works for PVP. You definitely need to approach it as a big dumb spectacle. Which it was

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I hadn't realized the extent to which monks could be an angel of death in PVP. Between their mobility and flurry of blows, it really is "revive your downed party member before the monk's next turn or ready revivify".

They hinted at doing one with the other halves in the future and I'd love a cooperative gauntlet with boons at stake for Campaign 3 and an Uk'otoaUk'otoaesque shrinking board to drive urgency and tamp down some of the high level slog.

Yasha, Grog, Caduceus, Vex, Veth, Caleb, and Keyleth... in addition to whatever NPC from either campaign Matt wants to play against high level foes and creatures from another DM (Aabria? Deborah? Mark? Someone new?). For every major foe defeated/surviving character, the cast (fans?) can pick from a list of boons, contextless, for the next campaign. A mage ally? Luck granting items to appear in the first arc? An extra vestige hidden somewhere? An appearance by a mystery NPC from a past campaign? One free revivify? The name of a member of the Tal Dorei council?

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
For those who missed it yesterday, the vod is up on youtube now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpBIQhWAhuM

Obviously: contains spoilers for Campaigns 1 & 2 of critical role.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Paracaidas posted:

I hadn't realized the extent to which monks could be an angel of death in PVP. Between their mobility and flurry of blows, it really is "revive your downed party member before the monk's next turn or ready revivify".

They hinted at doing one with the other halves in the future and I'd love a cooperative gauntlet with boons at stake for Campaign 3 and an Uk'otoaUk'otoaesque shrinking board to drive urgency and tamp down some of the high level slog.

Yasha, Grog, Caduceus, Vex, Veth, Caleb, and Keyleth... in addition to whatever NPC from either campaign Matt wants to play against high level foes and creatures from another DM (Aabria? Deborah? Mark? Someone new?). For every major foe defeated/surviving character, the cast (fans?) can pick from a list of boons, contextless, for the next campaign. A mage ally? Luck granting items to appear in the first arc? An extra vestige hidden somewhere? An appearance by a mystery NPC from a past campaign? One free revivify? The name of a member of the Tal Dorei council?

NADDPOD did an episode called Can They Kill It? that was like this. They’re a lot sillier than CR but I think it would still be fun.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Campaign 3: Everyone plays a monk and Matt spends 4 straight hours crying every Thursday

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Joey McChrist posted:

Campaign 3: Everyone plays a monk and Matt spends 4 straight hours crying every Thursday

That could actually be interesting. A monastic order leaving their retreat to save the world but no one believes them or has heard of them. A skilled warrior monk. A scholastic mage monk. A devout priest monk. A stealthy ninja monk. An angry barbarian monk constantly struggling with their rage. A one with nature druidic monk. A Zen archer type monk.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
VM also got totally screwed by having to deal with Molly that one turn while having absolutely no idea what he could do. It was basically what stopped Scanlan from getting to safety, and also prevented some big attacks on Beau from Vax. They also don't know that you can still sue Bonus Actions while stunned, which actually would've been pretty big for the spellcasters.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

VM also got totally screwed by having to deal with Molly that one turn while having absolutely no idea what he could do. It was basically what stopped Scanlan from getting to safety, and also prevented some big attacks on Beau from Vax. They also don't know that you can still sue Bonus Actions while stunned, which actually would've been pretty big for the spellcasters.
"Anything that deprives you of your ability to take actions also prevents you from taking a bonus action" (PHB, 189).

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

bagrada posted:

That could actually be interesting. A monastic order leaving their retreat to save the world but no one believes them or has heard of them. A skilled warrior monk. A scholastic mage monk. A devout priest monk. A stealthy ninja monk. An angry barbarian monk constantly struggling with their rage. A one with nature druidic monk. A Zen archer type monk.

And every single one of them is an elf with a 4 hour long rest.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Senjuro posted:

"Anything that deprives you of your ability to take actions also prevents you from taking a bonus action" (PHB, 189).

Wow, never knew about that.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I don't think any version of D&D really works for PVP. You definitely need to approach it as a big dumb spectacle. Which it was
In theory, d20 / Pathfinder is built around the assumption that class levels can double as NPC building tools ("Oh poo poo, that ogre has levels in ninja!"). In practice, straight PVP tends to end the same way as 5e; someone stunlocks someone else and slowly beats them to death, or someone dumps all of their daily resources into putting out nuclear amounts of damage

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

bagrada posted:

That's actually been a campaign idea I had back in the day....an all Monks and Mystics game with a full on martial arts Wu Xia style.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Yeah, I pretty much predicted Beau was going to run roughshod over that comp. The only one who really stands a chance of both keeping up and warding off the stunning strikes would of been Grog. Scanlan and Pike were always going to eat poo poo the moment she got in contact with them

When we get the mirror match and it's Grog Kei Vex and Tary vs Yasha Veth Cad and Caleb it's probably going to be pretty one sided in the other direction. Shifter druids are about as hard to pin down as monks and incredibly hard to kill. On the Nein side, Yasha is going to be an unlikable problem but I think they'll be spending a lot of time reacting to what's coming at them.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

If it's another lvl 15 fight Keyleth will be tough but not the nightmare a level 20 with Beast Spells and Shapechange is

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

If it's another lvl 15 fight Keyleth will be tough but not the nightmare a level 20 with Beast Spells and Shapechange is

Even if it was level 20, hopefully they looked up the rules. Druids need to go back to their base form before turning into something else, they can't just go from fire elemental one round to something else the next to a third thing the third round with a full heal each time. They're still very powerful, but at least it gives others a chance to hurt them. You still have to nuke the poo poo out of them that one round, but level 20 PC's can do that kind of thing.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

seaborgium posted:

Even if it was level 20, hopefully they looked up the rules. Druids need to go back to their base form before turning into something else, they can't just go from fire elemental one round to something else the next to a third thing the third round with a full heal each time.

yes she can. she's a circle of the moon druid and she has no limitations to her wild shape besides how many times she can do it per short rest at levels lower than 20. she doesn't have to shift back before changing form again.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

basically, think of the lvl 20 archdruid as having a constantly regenerating HP shield. they're tough, but not unkillable. if you can get whatever form they're in to just under 100 hp then hit em with a power word: kill they're done unless they've managed to get a bunch of buffs up.

or stun their rear end with a monk and go to town

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Joey McChrist posted:

basically, think of the lvl 20 archdruid as having a constantly regenerating HP shield. they're tough, but not unkillable. if you can get whatever form they're in to just under 100 hp then hit em with a power word: kill they're done unless they've managed to get a bunch of buffs up.

or stun their rear end with a monk and go to town
Pretty close to unkillable though. More unkillable than Yasha. You either need Power Word Kill like you said, which isn't exactly a common ability, pinning them in an Antimagic Field, which isn't that common either, or doing more than 100 damage per round just to start hurting their true form which they can then heal.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 21, 2021

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

seaborgium posted:

Even if it was level 20, hopefully they looked up the rules. Druids need to go back to their base form before turning into something else, they can't just go from fire elemental one round to something else the next to a third thing the third round with a full heal each time. They're still very powerful, but at least it gives others a chance to hurt them. You still have to nuke the poo poo out of them that one round, but level 20 PC's can do that kind of thing.

Yes but Shapechange allows you to change using your action as long as you maintain concentration

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Without Beast spells she’s choosing between having healing available for others or being in beast form. They do have some other sources of healing in that group, but she’s the only Heal spell and a low hp PC is going to get dropped fast if both Veth and Caleb are in operation. (We might see Yasha with the coup de gras but I don’t expect that unless Ashley opts to finish off Grog after Travis bobbled his coup de gras on Pike.)

M9 benefitted from everything these people learned in C1, so I’d expect they’d hold an advantage in these fights even without figuring in the fact that they’re going to be rusty playing the Vox Machina characters. It doesn’t matter what your character can do if you don’t remember you can do it.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

NADDPOD did an episode called Can They Kill It? that was like this. They’re a lot sillier than CR but I think it would still be fun.

That sounds like something I need to listen to. I have to admit the solemn tone of the battle royale was jarring given what I expected. I nearly wept at the phantasmic pegging.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Paracaidas posted:

That sounds like something I need to listen to. I have to admit the solemn tone of the battle royale was jarring given what I expected. I nearly wept at the phantasmic pegging.

Well then the Band of Boobs vs the Astral Dad-nought is where it’s at

Drint Blasters
Jul 1, 2007

Saw something funny in chat during the wrap which was also surprising cause chat is usually awful but anyway.
When Matt was describing The Plank King as someone who gets info from all over just so he can repeat and feel smart someone in chat said "So he's Joe Rogan?"
Got a laugh outta me

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Paracaidas posted:

NADDPOD is the one ran by Brian Murphy and Emily Axeford right? I've been catching up with Dimension 20 stuff and they are both great on that.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

DeathSandwich posted:

NADDPOD is the one ran by Brian Murphy and Emily Axeford right? I've been catching up with Dimension 20 stuff and they are both great on that.
I think so? I just started their current campaign last night and had to turn it off because I was trying to focus on it instead of fading off to sleep, the highest compliment I can give any podcast.

Any other recommendations from the thread on actual play podcasts/streams to scratch the itch until C3? I'm aware The Adventure Zone and NADDPOD exist and are well regarded. Who else?

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Paracaidas posted:

Any other recommendations from the thread on actual play podcasts/streams to scratch the itch until C3? I'm aware The Adventure Zone and NADDPOD exist and are well regarded. Who else?

Depending on your tolerance for comedy, there’s D&D Is For Nerds from Sanspants Radio. It’s closer to the chaos Sam/Laura bits of CR than the serious stuff, but I enjoy it at least. Maybe you will too?

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Paracaidas posted:

I think so? I just started their current campaign last night and had to turn it off because I was trying to focus on it instead of fading off to sleep, the highest compliment I can give any podcast.

NADDPOD is great, as mentioned.

Dimension 20 is fantastic and has some of the same folks - also, there's been some Critical Role crossover with Matt and Marisha having been guests in their various campaigns. Downside, while some of them are on Youtube, the rest is paywalled behind their Dropout service.

Dungeons and Daddies is a great goofy show about four dads who get stuck in a fantasy world and have to try to track down their missing sons, and is wildly chaotic in the best ways.

Spout Lore is super interesting- it uses the Dungeon World system which is much more like, cooperative storytelling than traditional D&D? A lot more of like, collaborative play where everyone is building the story together, and the players are a lot of fun in terms of building an interesting world.

I also listen to Rude Tales of Magic and also Dragon Friends, but those are much more chaotic/zany and are much less like, "game" podcasts. The other ones listed at least try to interact with the game aspects, while these two are much more of like improv/story streams with a light sprinkling of dice rolling. Still fun! But.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Paracaidas posted:

Check out Dimension 20s stuff. Everything I've listened to from them has been amazing. Matt Mercer is in their Escape from Bloodkeep miniseries and both Matt and Marisha are in Pirates of Leviathan series from them so it is a good way to ease into Brennan Lee Mulligan's DM style while still having familiar faces present.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Paracaidas posted:

Partizan season from Friends at the Table.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXqCIchzOfg

It's not 5e, but Beam Saber(and Kingdom for a mini arc)

https://friendsatthetable.net/partizan-00-the-divine-principality

is their Session 0, if you want to start just right into it

https://friendsatthetable.net/the-seaside-town-of-obelle-pt-1

This is the episode 1

Dexo fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 21, 2021

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

OmniBeer posted:

Dimension 20 is fantastic and has some of the same folks - also, there's been some Critical Role crossover with Matt and Marisha having been guests in their various campaigns. Downside, while some of them are on Youtube, the rest is paywalled behind their Dropout service.

You can also get all the Dimension 20 stuff by supporting the College Humor YouTube channel for cash if, like myself, you prefer to stick to just YouTube rather than mess around with Dropout.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

bagrada posted:

Speaking of NADDPod, they recently ran a short campaign adjacent to the main campaign after one of the three normal players went on a leave of absence for a short while because his wife had just given birth to their first child. Lou Wilson of Dimension 20 stepped in to take the missing player's place as the third player for those weeks and the cast all played monks of various kinds on a 4 or 5 episode campaign that was taking place in a different part of the Empire, doing stuff that sets up or impacts elements of the main campaign going forward. They each played a different kind of monk, so Lou was a more straight forward damage dealing monk but some ranged capacity through a bow (way of the kensei monk), Jake had a little bit of healing and a bit more utility but was also a straight monk (way of mercy) and Emily played a mixed monk (way of the ascendant dragon)/peace cleric to give some actual healing capability to the team. The cast obviously had a blast playing the small campaign, and it was popular enough they've stated they want to revisit the characters again at some point in the future. Despite all nominally playing monks and having the same base abilities they never felt all that similar either, at least partially because they played them all so differently.

Jake played his character as a really laidback bayou guy who gave cryptic advice that was all empty soundbites but sounded profound if you didn't think about it (he modeled him on some Hollywood celebrity or other; can't remember who), Emily played a gullible hippie-ish monk who wanted to leave fighting behind but had anger issues in the past and is kind of being drawn back towards them despite herself and Lou played a guy who just loving loved his job and kicking the poo poo out of people, and his exuberance as a character infected the other players and got them pumped up for poo poo the whole time. It's a lot of fun if you want a short campaign to get a feel for the podcast.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Antitonic posted:

D&D Is For Nerds from Sanspants Radio.

DeathSandwich posted:

Check out Dimension 20s stuff.
Escape from Bloodkeep miniseries
Pirates of Leviathan series from them

OmniBeer posted:

Dimension 20
Dungeons and Daddies
Spout Lore
I also listen to Rude Tales of Magic and also Dragon Friends

Dexo posted:

Partizan season from Friends at the Table.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXqCIchzOfg

It's not 5e, but Beam Saber(and Kingdom for a mini arc)

Thank you, everyone! Consolidating as a helpful bookmark. As immediately sold on Eldermourne by the cast as I was by Grog's confidence they rely on his intellect and expertise in shapes and colors, so I'll get up live to NADDPOD and then find something new from the above. A silver lining for the commute. Really enjoying the atmospheric sound in (I assume) post. Get why it doesn't work with a livestream but really takes advantage of the pod medium.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Also check out Rusty Quill Gaming which uses Pathfinder but still fun to listen to. The DM is a monster and a psychopath but We Respect His Craft

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

DarklyDreaming posted:

Also check out Rusty Quill Gaming which uses Pathfinder but still fun to listen to. The DM is a monster and a psychopath but We Respect His Craft

See, that's what I love about Dimension 20. Less so on the combat encounter stuff, but Brennan can do legit horrifying roleplay scenarios.

Spoilers for Fantasy High Season 2, but this gives an excellent example of him creating a whole character arc out of a throw-off insecure lie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUK4wBljqdo

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

See, that's what I love about Dimension 20. Less so on the combat encounter stuff, but Brennan can do legit horrifying roleplay scenarios.

Spoilers for Fantasy High Season 2, but this gives an excellent example of him creating a whole character arc out of a throw-off insecure lie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUK4wBljqdo

I knew that's what that link was heading to before I even clicked it. Imagine being on the ball enough to take one off-hand line by a player and developing it into that. That's some quality DMing. :golfclap:

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
Gustav agreeing with a literal devil to feed it the infirm, elderly and disabled to save his circus is being interpreted by a few fans as Matt Mercer being ableist.

I found this out, and now all of you have to suffer more fandom crap, too.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Yeah I feel like Matt's description of "the audience" in the VM x M9 fight isn't too far off from the truth sometimes

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

Check out Dimension 20s stuff. Everything I've listened to from them has been amazing. Matt Mercer is in their Escape from Bloodkeep miniseries and both Matt and Marisha are in Pirates of Leviathan series from them so it is a good way to ease into Brennan Lee Mulligan's DM style while still having familiar faces present.

I started on Dimension 20 last week, Blood Keep is just a rip roaring fun.

Had a go at Fantasy High as well - I found it harder to get into but then Bud Cubby happened and I was completely onboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnzFfJUteTo

EDIT: For context, their party committed multiple felonies in front of a family of Halflings

My GM has, on many occasions, roleplayed out arrests because some of our group has trouble understanding that actions have consequences... but each time has been comedy gold to a point where we're almost eager to derail the campaign for more hi-jinks. The above linked video felt like a clever way to get around having the party arrested early on in the story, and introduced a great NPC that showed up to cook bacon later.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jun 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I think that fight was largely decided based on relative HP pools. The lowest CON on anyone in the Mighty Nein was 14, which is the same as the the highest CON modifier of anyone in VM. The total difference in HP was +155 for the M9. The M9's most fragile character HP wise was Beau with 127 HP, and the toughest character on VM's side was Scanlan with 129 HP.

It was just too much HP for VM to overcome. They whittled Fjord down to 1, but Jester had like 100 HP and Beau still had 78 by the time everyone else in VM was dead. And that's not counting Molly who was also essentially at full. M9 still had a collective 196 HP remaining - not counting Molly's 145.

Nemo2342 posted:

I'm so glad they've changed the entire campaign world because they wanted to make a robot friend.

Making that friend also got them directions to where Lucian was going, and also unlocked the door to the time gem they used for the instant long rest.