Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

have you seen my baby posted:

the one handed spear is absurdly overpowered and has basically no animations

You can also drag the stabs past people's guards and royally gently caress them up even when they think they're safe. A jumping, ducking, stabbing 1h spear user is someone I will actively avoid on the battlefield if I can help it. If I can't, I'll just hope that I can counter quick enough to punish them...I mean, it isn't super hard to guess what's coming, 99% of the time, it's going to be a stab (even though the swipe is super fast).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I haven't unlocked javelins yet but I did throw a 2-handed spear into a man's face at point blank range as we were charging each other and it was immensely satisfying.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Picking up ballista bolts and throwing them back :classiclol:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

the third subclass uses javelins instead of a bow, right? throwing weapons're cool, i'll die on that hill, but to have to play archer t o get it... :negative:

just run around with a short sword and backstab people, itll def fet you points faster and youll be more useful

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I try to play a different weapon every time I play, just to get a feel for everything that is out there, and every day I have to resist the temptation to come here and say how much I enjoyed the previous day's weapon and declare it to be amazing. They did a really good job of making so many weapons feel different, but powerful. The only one I've bounced off of was the Maul, and that probably has everything to do with me, and having gone from a fast weapon like the Glaive to its polar opposite.

So far, I've spent the day with the Longsword, Short Sword, Messer, Dane Axe, Heavy Mace, Mace, Falchion, Axe, War Axe, Glaive, Spear, and 1H Spear, and I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with all of them. At no point did I ever feel like I was gimping myself by using one over the other, some I had to work harder with than others, but none felt underpowered, and even the trickier ones, like the Glaive, became really effective when I figured out their particular strengths.

There are some balance issues to be sure, but they aren't huge, and certainly not big enough to detract from my enjoyment of the game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

you bet your rear end i'm proud of this shot

i love siege weaponry, it's so... indiscriminate :kheldragar:

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Archers are cool because they change the tactical landscape of the fight and force each side out of blobs. Also defenders would be even more hosed without them

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Playing some Chiv 2. It's fun. If you play as an archer you're a loving degenerate

I only did it to unlock Skirmisher!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

beer gas canister posted:

Archers are cool because they change the tactical landscape of the fight and force each side out of blobs. Also defenders would be even more hosed without them

This sounds an awful lot like what an archer main would say...

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

the longsword alt stab animation is comically close to the block animation

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

eonwe posted:

just run around with a short sword and backstab people, itll def fet you points faster and youll be more useful

i'm not having much fun or luck, god what an irritating design decision

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ciaphas posted:

Just say gently caress it then and play whatever class you want. Theres enough weapons on the ground that you can just be constantly throwing poo poo if you want. The short sword really does own though, ambusher is fun as heck

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

well what i want is to play the dude with a million javelins!!!! :mad:

(e) that said at least this is making the successes all the more satisfying, it's got that going for it

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Ciaphas posted:

You want to shoot wounded and downed people, be the biggest most relentless rear end in a top hat and steal every kill. When people get in close you need to manage your stamina as much as possible interrupt their hits or force them to miss with footwork you can't trade blocks they will win.

Also yeah stab people in the back just watch fights and wait for the right moment jump in stab and hop out before you get squished

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 21, 2021

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I only do archer in FFA so when I fail I only fail myself. It's also maximum rear end in a top hat territory because you don't get partial credit. Plink-plonk those low-health enemies from afar and get those sweet points!

Then get interrupted by bots before a player annihilates you with a charging attack.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

dang y'all right about short sword too, even in the hands of a coward archer this thing is mean

(e) :shobon:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 21, 2021

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I will say that if a crossbow user manages to get the top slot then I salute those people because holy moly is everything about about the crossbow bad. ADS is slow as sin, there's this awkward delay between pressing the button and shooting and your ADS speed is super duper slow. If you manage to score a ton of kills on that then you probably earned it.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Also, the reload is super slow and you're blind and stationary the whole time!

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Jimbot posted:

I will say that if a crossbow user manages to get the top slot then I salute those people because holy moly is everything about about the crossbow bad. ADS is slow as sin, there's this awkward delay between pressing the button and shooting and your ADS speed is super duper slow. If you manage to score a ton of kills on that then you probably earned it.

You can run around with it readied fps style though which is pretty funny

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
I've dedicated my tournament grounds plays towards getting the 13 bread kills achievement, and its real slow going. Each side of the map has a bread stash and there's relatively less traffic than in the jousting lanes. A breadshot does 35 damage, I can get the occasional takedown but getting kills is tough.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Chiv 2 is way too much fun for this thread to be so quiet. I wonder how badly the EGS exclusivity is hurting it.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Internet Explorer posted:

Chiv 2 is way too much fun for this thread to be so quiet. I wonder how badly the EGS exclusivity is hurting it.

I play on console, on ps4 it tells you who Playstation peeps are, everyone else is other, and in your average 32 man team about 5-8 people will be Sony folks. Extrapolate Xbox number from that as well and usually a third to a half of any match will be consoles, which tracks to usual ratios of mp of crossplay games.

Until you compare it to Chiv 1 which has twice the pc to console ratio. New games are always going to have more players and the Chiv 1 comparison may be unfair because of that, but if you're to compare ratios, it's hurting it quite a bit.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

their party issues are also hurting a lot. Sure it's frustrating but you can get around it by restarting the game a million times or whatever but people who were sold on crossplay with their friends are not able to cross play with their friends still lol

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Babe Magnet posted:

their party issues are also hurting a lot. Sure it's frustrating but you can get around it by restarting the game a million times or whatever but people who were sold on crossplay with their friends are not able to cross play with their friends still lol

Do consoles lack the ability to direct join a game/ not have a server browser?

The party bug sucks on PC as well but takes less than a minute to coordinate joining servers. Playing on the same team has been a nonissue

e; I wonder if the party bug is related to the fact that if I direct launch the game via shortcut instead of the launcher, it has zero connection to the game/epic servers

e2; so I'm playing on PC with a 1080ti and a 6/12 i7 @ 5.0ghz. the game is on a SSD and theres plenty of RAM left available. Every so often the game will get a weird sputter/hickup but nothing is indicating that the hardware is hitting any kind of threshold. The game also occasionally has some weird audio crackling that seems to happen more when dead than alive, which is unrelated to the sputter (or at least, does not occur in conjunction with), the sputter happens when alive exclusively it seems

this does not happen in other games, including the extremely shittily designed n implemented elite dangerous odyssey so i'm not really sure wtf

is this happening to anybody else

Worf fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 21, 2021

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Hello? Anyone in there?

I know people have complained about the messer before, but seriously gently caress that thing. While I'm okay with its stats per se, why is it so loving long? It's longer than the frickin' longsword and even rivals the greatsword in reach. :psyduck:

Perestroika posted:

Also, I just tried the glaive some more, and learned that it's sprint attack deals loving 15 damage :psyduck:. It's so frustrating, I really like the way it looks and handles, but needing two/three additional hits to kill an enemy is simply completely infeasible. It's just strictly worse than... well, I was gonna say the halberd, but it's also worse than pretty much every other weapon in the game except perhaps the knife.
This has got to be a bug with the vanguard's charge animation; the footman's version does 75'ish damage as it should. But yeah, whenever I fancy using the glaive I almost never bother with slash attacks. It deals a respectable amount of damage with overheads and stabs at least, though that doesn't help as much in a 1vX.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
When im not being a scumbag archer with the original voices, im partial to footman MAA. Nothing like a plain sword to go nuts on people with.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Messer is good but Exec Axe is better. Keep that one a secret, boys.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wonder if one of the dev's ancestors invented the Messer. Two games now where that sword was broke-rear end powerful.

Makes u think

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Knight - Guardian - One Handed Spear / Shortsword

Being a roman legionary with plate armor is extremely potent.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

May I suggest to OP to have a mod edit the words chivalry and Mordhau into the title or something? I don't know about you, but when I'm looking for a thread about a game, I just do a word search on the first few pages until I find it.

Also weighing in on the weapon chat, the Messer is hilariously unbalanced. To the point that I kind of feel bad for using it. Maybe not the best, but my current favorite is man at arms with a shield and a short sword, or arming sword, or morningstar. People just don't seem to react well to the smaller shield with fast weapons.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 21, 2021

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Diogines posted:

Also weighing in on the weapon chat, the Messer is hilariously unbalanced. To the point that I kind of feel bad for using it. Maybe not the best, but my current favorite is man at arms with a shield and a short sword, or arming sword, or morningstar. People just don't seem to react well to the smaller shield with fast weapons.

Despite my complaining about it earlier in the thread, Messer probably isn't even the worst offender on the unbalanced list. I think it's the most easily accessible and popular of the unbalanced weapons, anyone can pick it up and instantly start taking advantage of it, but people with a little better understanding of the mechanics of the game can make the Great Sword, Long Sword, Sword, Short Short, and 1H Spear into fearsome unbalanced instruments of evil.

Still though, gently caress the Messer. Start paying attention to the scoreboard leaders on every team, and you'll see the Messer is vastly over-represented.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

All of those weapons trade off something for the thing they are good at.

The shortsword is lowish damage and short range. The greatsword is slow. The spear is... okay it is a little awkward to use and lowish on damage. The longsword is just a worse Messer.

Those weapons (except for longsword) trade something for what they excel at, the messer trades nothing. It is not the longest or the fastest or the highest damage... but is it pretty long and pretty fast and pretty high damage. It comes in as a solid B in all the categories that matter. If you were to use RPG terms it has the highest cumulative stats, by far.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 21, 2021

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Diogines posted:

The shortsword is lowish damage and short range. The greatsword is slow. The spear is... okay it is a little awkward to use and lowish on damage. The longsword is just a worse Messer.

Those weapons (except for longsword) trade something for what they excel at, the messer trades nothing. It is not the longest or the fastest or the highest damage... but is it pretty long and pretty fast and pretty high damage. It comes in as a solid B in all the categories that matter. If you were to use RPG terms it has the highest cumulative stats, by far.

Messer use is also probably inflated by the other options the Vanguard subclass with it has.

Dane axe: More fun to throw than swing.
Two handed hammer: Fun to use but has some odd "Weak vs vanguards" damage numbers going on.
Glaive: It is the glaive. And I still see more vanguards using this than the hammer.

Really "Why isn't this *big not sword* stronger?" seems to be as big, if not a bigger problem at times.

Like, I just realized according to the online chart the Pole Axe's special attack only deals the same damage as it's heavy overhand/stab. On top of having a weaker slash in spite of being an AXE on a stick no amount of "Well... the thrust is as strong as the overhand!" keeps that from feeling awkward :sigh:

Also the double trait of both "Higher stamina drain AND higher shield damage!" seems lackluster in practice because it is just so slow, and also shorter than other polearms, that I have much better luck pressuring or destroying knight shields with other weapons. Considering I love zipping in to crunch a shield and watch teammates swarm a guy, that is another reason the pole axe has been kind of a letdown to me personally even if the spreadsheet says "...But if you DO land those heavy attacks, oh man."

EDIT: I just realized the two handed hammer is shorter than the pole axe while listing the same speed. But it has always been a much smoother time for me to zip in and bonk people or blocks with the special attack so now I'm even more baffled why the designed seemingly for my tastes pole axe isn't clicking with me.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 21, 2021

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Diogines posted:

Very true, but they also all have something "off" about them that can be exploited, i.e. the damage of stab on the GS starts way early and ends way late and beyond the animation (which all the swords have to some extent, the GS just has the most), the Short Sword can swing faster than all of its counters, the Spear has a wonky hitbox and its swing comes out too fast for how much damage it does. All this is just personal opinion based on the observations of someone who plays after work, usually impaired in some way, so take this with a MAJOR grain of salt.

I think a lot of these things could probably be fixed not by nerfing the weapon, but tightening up and improving the jab, which, as it is now, feels inconsistent at best as a counter to gambling with fast weapons.

That said, I 100% agree with you and your RPG analogy for the Messer.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Section Z posted:

Messer use is also probably inflated by the other options the Vanguard subclass with it has.

Dane axe: More fun to throw than swing.
Two handed hammer: Fun to use but has some odd "Weak vs vanguards" damage numbers going on.
Glaive: It is the glaive. And I still see more vanguards using this than the hammer.
This is also probably true too. I'd definitely consider a longsword or a better longer weapon on the raider but realistically a primary messer and a secondary throwing weapon is the way to go.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I had a good day of Chiv today. No utterly miserable matches, and even a bunch where I actually did legit well. Got really in the groove with the Dane Axe. I still can't say I actually know what I'm doing, but I'm getting something in my spinal cord.

Also, triple kills feel real drat good.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

When you forget for a moment that throwing medpacks at downed allies no longer instantly revives them like it did in the beta. At least he was avenged.

https://i.imgur.com/gvPE8Kl.mp4

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Perestroika posted:

When you forget for a moment that throwing medpacks at downed allies no longer instantly revives them like it did in the beta. At least he was avenged.

https://i.imgur.com/gvPE8Kl.mp4

How did that last stab not hit you

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

How did that last stab not hit you

because stab hitboxes are screwy as hell if your in 3rd person

Edit: meant that it's tougher to use stabs in 3rd person has been my experience.

Moonshine Rhyme fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Idk, looks to me like it could very plausibly have whiffed right by his right side. He's extending his right arm at the same time, so his torso's probably turned sideways.