Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The old thread can be found here.

Welcome to the sumo thread!

This top post contains information about the current or upcoming tournament, as well as Goon Fantasy Sumo. If you're new to sumo, see the next post!

Next basho: Kyushu 2022, November 13th - 27th,
Fukuoka Kokusai Center.

Current banzuke:

code:
Terunofuji 	 Yokozuna	
Takakeisho 	  Ozeki		Shodai
		  Ozeki		Mitakeumi
Wakatakakage    Sekiwake 1	Hoshoryu
Daieisho	Sekiwake 2
Abi		Komusubi 1	Ichinojo
		Kumusubi 2	Kiribayama
Tobizaru	   M1		Midorifuji
Kotonowaka	   M2		Meisei
Tamawashi	   M3		Ura
Nishikigi	   M4		Takayasu
Takarafuji	   M5		Sadanoumi
Wakamotoharu	   M6		Endo
Aoiyama 	   M7		Onosho
Tochinoshin	   M8		Hokutofuji
Myogiryu	   M9		Kotoeko
Nishikifuji	   M10		Takanosho
Kotoshoho	   M11		Chiyotairyu
Okinoumi	   M12		Ryuden
Ichiyamamoto	   M13		Oho
Chiyoshoma	   M14		Yutakayama
Terutsuyoshi	   M15		Tsurugisho
Mitoryu		   M16		Hiradoumi
Storylines:

The san'yaku

Terunofuji is a glass cannon, and the thing about glass cannons is they break. Despite winning in July and being a runner-up in May, Teru had to withdraw in September on day 10. According to Isegahama-oyakata: "He needs to heal properly, not just rest. In some cases, surgery will be necessary. I think the inflammation will stop in a few days, but after that, I have to think carefully about what to do." Can Teru even return from surgery? Hard to say, but we hope so. The kaiju was unstoppable for a couple years, but who knows how long it can last.

The ozeki look like garbage. Takakeisho is holding his own, but Mitakeumi and Shodai are both kadoban, and prospects are poor. Wakatakakakge and Hoshoryu are honestly looking like they could make a run for the rank, but it's not been proven yet. Wakataka is at the beginning of a run (after blowing his last one), but the Hoshoryu hasn't really started anything yet. Abi, Ichinojo, and Daieisho are dropping, but the latter will probably only go down to komusubi.

Maegashira

Tobizaru and old man Tamawashi are definitely getting the nod for the san'yaku, while Kotonowaka is probably just gonna get to M1 with his win. He's gotten some bad banzuke luck lately, but he's fighting well and should get a titled rank soon. Takayasu will be getting a healthy promotion, along with Hokutofuji, Wakamotoharu, Nishikigi, and Ryuden, who all put up double-digits in Aki. Onosho had an off tournament (he was due), and will be dropping. We'll be losing Makuuchi debutantes Mitoryu and Hiradoumi back to juryo, along with Tsurugisho and Yutakayama most likely. Oho continues to struggle in the top division with a slight losing record at M13w. Hopefully he can find his stride.

Juryo and below

The Kazakh Kinbozan from Kise-beya comported himself well as a shin-sekitori, getting double-digits from J13w in his 6th basho from sandanme tsukedashi, so look out for that 25 year old hotshot. Miyagino giant Hokuseiho continues to lumber his way to the top division: with 9-6 from J9e he could earn a promotion to makuuchi next tournament. Teru's stablemate Atamifuji could make it in November, but it's a hard sell from J3e with an 8-7.

Healthy lad Kawazoe, Miyagino's latest recruit, comported himself well enough with a makushita tsukedashi, getting a 4-3 and potentially enabling himself to make sekitori next basho if he sweeps it, although more likely it'll be next year. Mongolia Roga will be getting the silk mawashi with a win from Ms1w. Way down low new Miyagino recruit Otani took the Jonokuchi yusho in his first tournament after maezumo, while a Nishonoseki man, Takahashi, took the Jonidan yusho in his second. It seems like ex-Hakuho and ex-Kisenosato are taking their responsibility to find exciting new talent for sumo seriously!

Goonzuke:

code:
		   Kyushu 2022	

SA Goonzuke	

Ozeki	
Banana Canada		1	anakha
Skjorte			2	GoatSeeGuy
Tiny Bug Child		3	captainblastum

Sekiwake	
scripterror		1	Thauros

Komusubi	
Khizan			1	Eli949
MyChemicalImbalance	2	

Maegashira	
Jobbo_Fett		1	Netsky
Charles Gnarwin		2	Tochiazuma
pseuodragon		3	Crusty Nutsack
Ice Phisherman		4	Kenning
jmzero			5	Marching Powder
Takuan			6	bartolimu
EveryonesFavoritePoster	7	Mode 7
Communist Thoughts	8	Saturnine Aberrance
whats for dinner	9	Chinook
NuclearPotato		10	Flinger
sivad			11	Gaghskull
LlamaTrauma		12	bessantj
S.W.O.R.D. Agent	13	Iron Chef Nex
Vargatron		14	MalarkeyToboggan
ilmucche		15	Fluffdaddy
ratmosphere		16	

Juryo	

Helianthus Annuus	1	Liquid Communism
Teddybear		2	Pakled
Ben Nerevarine		3	Maigius
Neodoomium		4	Kuros
PJ			5	Lid
Boogalo			6	ullerrm
Akiosan			7	KungfuGrip
Brut			8	Log082
Xerzes			9	Enfys
Robviously		10	oldskool
Biosys			11	QuasiQuack
Lexorin			12	Dead Goon
rare Magic card l00k	13	Mekchu
Bentai			14	Firebatgyro
Scythe			15	Spokes
Fantasy storylines

Four of our goonzeki (captainblastum, Skortje, tiny bug child, and GoatSeeGuy) are kadoban. Dangerous! Both sekiwake are on moderate-to-soft goonzeki runs, but there will need to be a convincing case. The top of maegashira is jumpy, with a lot of people looking to make their san'yaku debut or return. Ex-goonzeki sivad failed to return from sekiwake, and is dropping hard.

The only current yokogoona is Aki winner scripterror, all of the others have failed to defend of late. May the yokogoona defend the honor of the rank.

edit: Watch this video immediately.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Nov 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Sumo wrestling is ancient, ceremonial, and steeped in Japanese culture. It's also an excellent spectacle, full of huge men who smash into each other, old men who bicker with each other, and all of the melodrama you could hope for from a combat sport. There's a big community of people who love sumo in this thread, and we'd love for you to join us.

What is sumo

Sumo is a grappling sport with ancient origins and a complex relationship with Japanese nationalism over the centuries. If you want a lot more information about historical nerd poo poo, see the bottom of this post!

Nowadays, there are professional and amateur sumo leagues. We'll be talking about professional sumo, i.e. Grand Sumo, i.e. ozumo. Grand sumo tournaments are held 6 times a year, about midway through each odd-numbered month. They last 15 days, and each wrestler fights once per day. Bouts take place in a special clay ring called the dohyo. Wrestlers wear a special belt/loincloth called a mawashi. The wrestler with the most wins after 15 days wins the tournament, possibly subject to a playoff. The results of each tournament determine each wrestler's rank in the next tournament, and rank is everything.

Note: wrestlers are called, well, wrestlers, or sumotori (i.e. sumo-doers) or rikishi (i.e. powerful gentlemen). The top two ranks are called sekitori. They are never, ever, referred to as "sumos".

Rules of sumo

There are only really 2 rules in sumo. Don't step out of the ring, and don't touch the ground with anything but the bottoms of your feet. There are a few disqualifying moves, such as kicking above the belt, hitting with a closed fist, grabbing the hair or groin, choking, or poking the eyes. Open-handed slaps, trips, and forearm shivers are legal, and you can grip the mawashi or any bodypart that isn't the groin or neck (you can shove the neck with an open hand).

An important thing in ozumo is that there are no weight classes. That means that you get some big boys in the ring, especially in the last few decades. A normal-sized top-division wrestler weighs around 300 lbs, and is usually around 6 ft. tall. There are a few small firecrackers, like Enho and Ishiura, but "small" in this case means 5'8" and 250 lbs. The big boys are 6'+ and weigh over 400lbs.

Rankings and the banzuke

Rank is everything in sumo. There's a brutally Darwinian system of promotion and relegation: if you post more wins than losses in a tournament, your rank goes up. More losses than wins, your rank goes down. Due to the highly-regimented life in the sumo association, higher ranks are not only associated with more pay, but with greater privileges and freedom in the sumo lifestyle. The highest ranks, ozeki and yokozuna, have special requirements for promotion, and wrestlers at those ranks have some protection from demotion, as well as facing specal scrutiny of their personal behavior and fighting style.

Ranks are recorded on a document called a banzuke, which is a literal piece of paper with wrestlers' names on a chart in a sumo-specific calligraphy. A wrestler's rank is often referred to as his "position on the banzuke". Each new banzuke is released 2 weeks before the upcoming tournament, and sort of marks the beginning of the sumo season for that tournament. Copies of the banzuke are a popular collector's item.

But where do I watch the large men?

If you're not in Japan there are basically 3 options:

1) Official NHK broadcast streams/recordings
2) Bootleg streams that are often more comprehensive but harder to find (because they get shut down)
3) Youtube compilations that upload within a few hours of action

Option 3 is the best choice for starting out, since you don't have to stay up late (if you're an American) or watch during work hours (if you're in Europe). Everyone has their favorite channel, but right now I'd say there are 3 big ones:

Jason's All-Sumo Channel - This is the best for true newbies. Jason is a dorky but charming American in Japan who loves sumo, and who provides his own commentary and explains the rules and personalities very well. He usually only covers the last few bouts of the day, but those are high-rankers who it's good to learn, and you get to watch all the pre-bout action that is very fun.

Kintamayama - A venerable online sumo legend, Kinta offers an aggressively-edited daily compliation of all the top-division bouts along with occasional lower-division highlights. Often has pithy and hilarious captions on the bouts. Basically the only way to watch daily sumo in less than 20 minutes. My personal go-to.

Natto Sumo - Relatively new on the scene, Natto's compliations are a bit longer than Kinta's (he doesn't edit out long pauses when the wrestlers are just leaning on each other, for example), and he includes ridiculously comprehensive stats as a bout is about to start. Has a bad habit of trying to monetize in-platform and getting shut down (the other guys just have like PayPal tip jars).

Hopefully posters in the thread can give people the heads-up for good streams during the tournaments.

Important wrestlers

Because the top division only has 42 dudes you can get a real sense for their individual styles and personalities, which is one of the most fun parts of sumo. Below is a list of a few important rikishi. Note: wrestlers adopt a ring name, or shikona, when they enter sumo. Occasionally a wrestler will change their ring name, usually either to commemorate a career benchmark, or to break a streak of bad luck. There are various ring-naming conventions in the different stables, usually to honor the stablemaster. That's why there are a bunch of Kotos and Chiyos running around. Shikona usually have some meaning, referencing mountains and wind and power and stuff.

Hakuho - the greatest rikishi of all time, hands down, no contest. He's at the very brink of retirement, and has had quite a few injuries building up over the last few years. I recommend watching compilations of his bouts, or just any tournament from like 2018 or earlier to get a pretty good sense of the utter perfection of sumo wrestling that everyone else is trying to imitate. A Mongolian, he has annoyed the hell out of the stodgy old men who run sumo for almost 15 years. Basically we all love him.

Terunofuji - Another Mongolian, Teru suffered serious health problems in 2017, was demoted to the second-bottom division, and fought his way back up to the ozeki rank yokozuna like a goddamn hero. An absolute beast of a man, 6'3", over 400 lbs, affectionately known as the Kaiju. Also basically universally beloved.

Takakeisho - A Japanese ozeki notable for being nearly spherical, and also for reaching the second-highest rank solely on the strength of an unbeatable pushing game. Some people don't like that he can't grapple, but to hell with them.

Tochinoshin - A Georgian (the country) powerhouse, Tochi also had an injury -> demotion -> return to rank story that capped at ozeki. Known for lifting 300 lb dudes up and setting them outside the ring. His knees are entirely constructed of athletic bandages and hope. Probably soon to retire.

Endo - The great Japanese also-ran. Once heralded as the next great Japanese wrestler, he's struggled with injury and underperformance. Has tournaments where he seems brilliant, but it's risky to love him. Considered the most handsome top-division guy, he has lots of female fans.

Enho - A tiny wrestler with insane technique, Enho weighs just over 200 lbs and is only 5'6". A phenom when he debuted, he might have been figured out by now. We still love him.

Aoiyama - A Bulgarian master of pushing and thrusting renowned for having the best rack in sumo. Has a small but mental fanbase in this thread.

Asanoyama - Ozeki who got caught flouting COVID rules by going to a hostess bar. He's being sidelined for 6 tournaments and will drop out of the salaried ranks. Good sumo when he's in shape, but apparently a moron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtUfdZb0grw&t=300s

Other important wrestlers to watch (I could write bios for almost everyone but that gets excessive).

Takayasu - Hairy fan favorite
Wakatakakage - Up-and-coming
Hoshoryu - Nephew of a great former yokozuna
Tobizaru - Chaotic and fun
Ichinojo - Brick shithouse
Ura - Another beloved injury/recovery story
Kaisei - The nicest guy in sumo

When you're starting out it's hard to tell all the massive men in diapers apart. The color of the mawashi can help, and certain guys are easy (Takayasu's hairy back, Chiyotairyu's sideburns). Eventually you'll be able to tell them apart, but no one can remember what Shimanoumi or Hidenoumi look like. Don't sweat it.

More sumo resources

In addition to watching the tournaments, there's lots of good sumo content and information to be enjoyed. First off, read the Wikipedia page. Seriously, it's good. The glossary of sumo terms is also incredibly useful. Beyond that, see below:

Tachiai Blog - Great day-by-day coverage during tournaments, and good analysis in between. Pretty fun sports writing.

Grand Sumo Breakdown - A podcast by 4 American sumo fans, they do 3 episodes per tournament (preview, midway, recap), as well as banzuke predictions and bonus episodes on specific topics. I always listen.

Sumo DB - An obsessively-compiled repository of sumo stats in English. Crucial reference source.

Sumo Forum - As full of pedantic nerd poo poo as you can expect from a niche web forum, it's also a good source for sumo news translated into English. I've never really read it but I know a few people here check in.

Heya A-Z - A wonderful guide to all of the personnel in sumo in all of the heyas, not only wrestlers but also gyoji, tokoyama, and yobidashi. There are photos from every year they're active, so you can watch Hakuho grow up!

Chris Sumo - Good Youtube channel on sumo news and deep-dives into wrestler storylines. People say he can get pretentious, but I like him a lot.

@sumofollower on Twitter - Really good at getting sumo news out in English quickly.

Martytoof posted:

I’m going to call out two more podcasts that you might want to add to the OP:

Sumo Mainichi: https://sumomainichi.podbean.com/

Delightful podcast run by Dave and Amy from Australia. My favourite of all the Sumo pods just because of the personalities involved. Typically produce banzuke and pre-basho episodes, as well as a good 30-50 minute episode every day of the tournament. The charm can’t be overstated, this is easily my favourite sumo podcast and often threatens some others for “favourite podcast” title overall. The banzuke episode never fails to remind me that SUMO’S A COMIN’!

Sumo Kaboom: https://sumokaboom.fireside.fm/

Another lighthearted pod run by two sisters from Texas. Laurie and Leslie typically do a group recap episode every three or four days of the tournament, but they also run content non-stop between tournaments. They’ve snagged some pretty impressive guests (John Gunning, Konishiki) for live interviews, and they do theme episodes discussing various aspects of Sumo or things sumo-adjacent.

I know there are also Discord servers and the like but I've never really hosed with those. Chime in with resources and I'll add them to the OP!

Sumo history and nerd poo poo

Sumo has very ancient origins in Shinto spiritual practice. Shades of that tradition are present in the pre-bout rituals of salt-throwing (to purify the ring) and stomping (to frighten off unfriendly spirits). The sport waxed and waned in popularity and importance, usually in association with the importance of the emperor, since it ended up becoming something of a court spectacle. The history of the Japanese emperor is a whole other story.

Modern sumo began to take shape in the late 17th century, when it was organized into a sanctioned sport after having been banned as a public nuisance. In the late 18th century a number of renowned wrestlers emerged, including the first yokozuna, and the overall modern structure of ranks and stables etc. was essentially established.

In 1927 the competing Osaka and Tokyo sumo associations merged, and then (after being briefly banned following WWII) the truly modern form of sumo was established in 1958, with 15 day tournaments, 6 tournaments per year, and basically all of the current rules. Almost all sumo records are reckoned from 1958 for this reason.

An interesting note about sumo is that its current status as a bedrock symbol of Japanese culture is largely due to the interest of two emperors, Meiji in the late 19th century and Showa in the 20th. Meiji supported sumo during a period when Western culture was ascendent in Japan, and saved it from being discarded as old-fashioned. Showa loved sumo (he established the Emperor's Cup, originally the Prince Regent's Cup), and his support for it after WWII really helped solidify it as emblematic of Japanese nationhood in an era where the militaristic nationalism of the imperial period was no longer viable.

As a result of all of this intermixing of culture, nationalism, and sport, sumo occupies an unusual and sometimes uncomfortable position as both a modern sporting association and also a living piece of cultural heritage. The ramifications of these tensions are nearly as interesting as the huge men themselves, and make for quite a bit of conversational grist between tournaments. Hmu in the thread if you wanna go to town on this.

Hakkeyoi!

Kenning fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 20, 2021

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Fantasy Sumo

We have a fantasy sumo tournament alongside every sumo tournament. In short, you pick wrestlers for your team, and get points for their performance, just like any other sport. Fantasy is a great way to get to know more wrestlers, especially guys lower down on the banzuke, and it makes it so even bouts that have no impact on the yusho race are still exciting.

Drafting

You'll have 5 wrestlers on your team, each from a different rank set:

1 from the yokozuna/ozeki ranks
1 from the sekiwake/komusubi ranks
1 from maegashira 1-5
1 from maegashira 6-10
1 from maegashira 11+

Multiple people can have the same wrestler, but there are limits to keep it interesting. Therefore, when submitting your picks, choose 3 guys from each set. An example draft from a previous tournament:

Y/O: Terunofuji / Asanoyama / Takakeisho
S/K: Takayasu / Daiesho / Takanosho
M1-M5: Wakatakakage / Hokutofuji / Meisei
M6-M10: Tsurugisho / Tamawashi / Ichinojo
M11+: Kotonowaka / Chiyoshoma / Kaisei

We do a snake draft and have a running draft wire, but that's not too important for players to keep track of. Wrestlers can also be traded during the first week.

Scoring

Points will be granted in the following ways:

1 pt. for each win
5 pts. for the championship or yusho
3 pts for the runner-up, or jun-yusho
3 pts for a special prize, or sansho
2 pts for a gold star victory, or kinboshi
1 pt. for a winning record, or kachi-koshi
-.5 pt. for a losing record, or make-koshi
-.5 pt. for your second trade
-1 pt. for every trade beyond the first 2

There are a couple of special rules in scoring. You get the make-koshi penalty for a wrestler even if you traded them away. You only get the kachi-koshi score from a wrestler who is in your stable at the end of the tournament. You only get the kinboshi score from a wrestler if they scored the kinboshi while they were in your stable AND if you still have them at the end of the tournament. The jun-yusho points will not be awarded if 3 or more wrestlers are tied for second place in terms of their record.

Here are the tie-breakers, in order:

Yusho
Jun-yusho
Total Sansho
Total Kinboshi
Total kachi-koshi
Fewest trades

Trading

In case of injury or plain underperformance, wrestlers can be traded out during the first week. No trades are accepted after middle Sunday, or nakabi. Players can trade once per day. The wrestlers must belong to the same rank set, and the new wrestler needs to be available (i.e. not held by too many other players already). Conflicts are resolved by postion on the draft wire, and trading places you at the bottom of the wire. Trades must be submitted before the top-division bouts start that day.

The Goonzuke

Based on their performance, players in Fantasy get ranked on the Goonzuke, which is our own banzuke. See the OP for current rankings.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
insanely good op. makes what seems like a pretty inscrutable sport easily understood.

you misspelled AOIYAMA

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Excellent OP. Thanks for the effort. :)

I want to say that if you're new to sumo like I am it's actually pretty fun. There's an immediacy to the sport where you don't really need to know anything about it to understand it because the rules are so simple. Two men try to push each other out of the ring or to the ground. That's it. That's all. If you can understand that you understand 90% of sumo so the buy in for people who may not have a lot of time or attention is super low. And if you catch the Grand Sumo Highlights you can watch all the matches of a day in half an hour which is pretty drat short if you normally watch sports that take multiple hours.

I'll also say that after you start getting to know the rikishi (wrestlers) it's fun to follow them. The names might sound odd to you at first but eventually you'll get used to them and find your favorites. You don't have an entire team or even their all-stars to remember. Just individuals which really helped me as someone who normally doesn't watch sports.

Also even though he's not the greatest I really like Kaisei because he's super nice and I appreciate that. :kimchi:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Yes, posting in the shiny, new fabulous fat fellas fighting fred!

Great OP.

So hyped to see Wakatakakage in the san'yaku ranks he has put in all the effort in the world. Also looking forward to seeing what Ura can do in the top division.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Also I'd have called the thread fat slaps, fat stacks,. But yours is more descriptive.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Ice Phisherman posted:

Excellent OP. Thanks for the effort. :)

Also even though he's not the greatest I really like Kaisei because he's super nice and I appreciate that. :kimchi:

Glad y'all like it! And yeah, Kaisei is one of my favorites for that reason too.

Marching Powder posted:

Also I'd have called the thread fat slaps, fat stacks,. But yours is more descriptive.

Honestly the thread subtitle was easily the hardest part of this whole thing.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
thread should just be a thirst trap dedicated to alternating pictures of Chiyonofuji and Chiyoshoma without comment

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What's chiyomaru up to these days? Sleeping somewhere? Waking up sleeping wrestlers?

I will of course be cheering for (but probably not picking) half-man half-duct tape tochinoknee

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

ilmucche posted:

I will of course be cheering for (but probably not picking) half-man half-duct tape tochinoknee

Last time he was this far down the banzuke he bounced back with a 10-5 so it might be worth a shout even with his dusty knees.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

ilmucche posted:

What's chiyomaru up to these days? Sleeping somewhere? Waking up sleeping wrestlers?

Chiyomaru worked his way back up to makuuchi last basho, and he’s still hanging around! I’m glad.

As far as his other antics I have no idea but I really want to know

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Delightful podcast run by Dave and Amy from Australia. My favourite of all the Sumo pods just because of the personalities involved. Typically produce banzuke and pre-basho episodes, as well as a good 30-50 minute episode every day of the tournament. The charm can’t be overstated, this is easily my favourite sumo podcast and often threatens some others for “favourite podcast” title overall. The banzuke episode never fails to remind me that SUMO’S A COMIN’!

Another lighthearted pod run by two sisters from Texas. Laurie and Leslie typically do a group recap episode every three or four days of the tournament, but they also run content non-stop between tournaments. They’ve snagged some pretty impressive guests (John Gunning, Konishiki) for live interviews, and they do theme episodes discussing various aspects of Sumo or things sumo-adjacent.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jun 21, 2021

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

As we probably saw coming

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1406875813878943744

In 16 years he missed only 14 bouts. Amazing.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jun 21, 2021

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Great OP, Kenning. Really looking forward to the next basho. Also: AOI, and I cannot emphasise this enough, YAMA

Beeswax fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 21, 2021

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

How do I get involved in the sumo fantasy team stuff? I've never done a fantasy team but I want those tags

scripterror
Sep 6, 2011

Nap Ghost
I have serious doubts that Hakuho can make it through a full two-week slate of matches with the last reported condition of his knees, though I'd love to be proven wrong. Here's hoping the GOAT goes out on a high note.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Communist Thoughts posted:

How do I get involved in the sumo fantasy team stuff? I've never done a fantasy team but I want those tags

A call will go out a week before the basho starts and people will just post them in the thread. Post yours and at the end you'll be on the goonzuke.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

nth-ing the love for the OP, Kenning! Seriously informative and easy to read.

scripterror posted:

I have serious doubts that Hakuho can make it through a full two-week slate of matches with the last reported condition of his knees, though I'd love to be proven wrong. Here's hoping the GOAT goes out on a high note.

He's really the wildcard in the Terunofuji/Takakeisho yokozuna runs, right? If he survives to the end he could very easily derail one or the other. He also keeps most of the other upper-maegashira and san'yaku out of contention early on if he just lays waste to them.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

bessantj posted:

My congrats to him on an excellent career.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Great OP! Thanks for the effort!

Kenning posted:

Asanoyama - Ozeki who got caught flouting COVID rules by going to a hostess bar. He's being sidelined for 6 months and will drop out of the salaried ranks. Good sumo when he's in shape, but apparently a moron.

Quick correction on dumbass Asanoyama. He’s out for 6 tourneys or 12 months depending on which word you want to change (or just say until July 2022 so it doesn’t need updating).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Apropos of nothing, I watched Sumo-do at the Toronto Japanese Film Festival.

A Japanese film from 2020 that followed Goeido and Ryuuden during a tournament, and I think some other bits of flavour. I thought it was really neat to see a little more behind the scenes stuff than you normally do, and it was fun to watch rikishi being human, but ultimately I thought the movie was a little wandering and I felt like I was checking my watch about 3/4 of the way through. I’d still give it a recommendation if you’re a die hard sumo fan because .. well hey, it’s sumo content.

I’d completely forgotten Goeido once he retired so it was kind of neat to see him again. The bits with Ryuuden and his wife were cute.

So I dunno, if you get the chance and have an hour and change to spare, go for it.

Also, just realized I’ve been skimming the new thread title incorrectly. I thought it said “huge men, massive tits” and I’m not sure it would have been incorrect.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Martytoof posted:

The bits with Ryuuden and his wife were cute.

This probably plays differently now than it did when the film was released (or even like 3 months ago).

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

bessantj posted:

Worth noting that the 14 missed bouts are the last two bashos of this year. As far as I can see, Ikioi made every bout from May 2005 until his final active basho this January. In a sport like this, that is some resilience. Going by Sumoforum discussion, I understood that the reason he held for the last two bashos might have been that his elder stock, or kabu, was still on loan to ex-Bushuyama, who indeed was loaning it from May 2020 to this past May, when he bought Matsuchiyama kabu from ex-Banryuyama, who had that stock since 1987, and Ikioi got his kabu back and could assume it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

pseudodragon posted:

This probably plays differently now than it did when the film was released (or even like 3 months ago).

lol yes I was just thinking that when watching it. Was the whole affair thing confirmed or is that still speculation? I can't keep my sumo scandals straight anymore. Last I remember reading he was forcing someone to have an abortion or something?

Takuan
May 6, 2007

I keep saying "One of these days, I'm gonna try getting in to sumo."

This is it. This is the day. I'm gonna try my best to follow this basho.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Welcome to the thread! Sumo is pretty easy to follow tbh. You're very likely to recognize the yusho race contenders early on, and even if you don't know who's fighting whom the action is great fun. There's a lot of terminology to learn, but we're all super happy to explain anything if you have questions. Also, consider joining Fantasy, it helps follow along for sure, even if you're just picking random dudes.

pseudodragon posted:

Great OP! Thanks for the effort!

Quick correction on dumbass Asanoyama. He’s out for 6 tourneys or 12 months depending on which word you want to change (or just say until July 2022 so it doesn’t need updating).

Good catch, thanks. That's what I get for posting an effort thread after midnight.

I'll be putting out the call for people's drafts next week. I'll post a template, just fill it in with your choices and then you're off to the races. As for the tag, you can add it to your avatar if you buy a new one, but I think Brut and Mekchu, our resident mods, have queued up freebies for new players in the past.

Martytoof posted:

Sumo podcasts

Excellent stuff, I added it to the OP. Thanks!

Martytoof posted:

Also, just realized I’ve been skimming the new thread title incorrectly. I thought it said “huge men, massive tits” and I’m not sure it would have been incorrect.

I did that on purpose :c00l:

Kenning fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 21, 2021

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

scripterror posted:

I'm in this boat too, I've only recently gotten into sumo and would love to witness one last proper Hakuho performance before he sails off :(

Great OP! can also vouch for how much enjoyment the fantasy adds, my first was this Basho past and despite picking Asanoyama I had a Very Good time.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Lunsku posted:

Worth noting that the 14 missed bouts are the last two bashos of this year. As far as I can see, Ikioi made every bout from May 2005 until his final active basho this January. In a sport like this, that is some resilience.

It is a remarkable run that you're unlikely to see often. Will be interesting to see if this ethic manages to rub off onto any of his students.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Martytoof posted:

lol yes I was just thinking that when watching it. Was the whole affair thing confirmed or is that still speculation? I can't keep my sumo scandals straight anymore. Last I remember reading he was forcing someone to have an abortion or something?

Don't know how Japanese slander/libel laws work, but it was in actual newspapers and I don't recall seeing anything about retractions or lawsuits.

I think the story was he had a long term affair, mistress gets pregnant, he convinced her to get an abortion, they break up and things get messy.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Were you say BOO or BOO-den?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ilmucche posted:

I hear he's developing his own style of sumo based on the fighting techniques of certain animals (robins, hedgehogs, blowfish, chain chomps) to become even more perfectly round.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I remember very well what Hidenoumi looks like because he is one ugly son of a bitch. Can't believe he's Tobizaru's big brother (who got the Flying Monkey into sumo).

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I love sumo.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hidenoumi just looks like an asian Dan Aykroyd

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Martytoof posted:

i don't mean this to sound like 'women don't like punch sports' or anything BUT is it just me or do more women than usual take an interest in sumo? when i started following sumo my girlfriend sat down with me unprompted and started getting into it. she usually only watches the last day in total but always makes me tell her when the upper maegashira / sanyaku fights are on (and enho, whenever he's fighting, for obvious reasons).

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Marching Powder posted:

i don't mean this to sound like 'women don't like punch sports' or anything BUT is it just me or do more women than usual take an interest in sumo? when i started following sumo my girlfriend sat down with me unprompted and started getting into it. she usually only watches the last day in total but always makes me tell her when the upper maegashira / sanyaku fights are on (and enho, whenever he's fighting, for obvious reasons).

this happened to us as well and my crackpot theory involves the facts the wrestlers initially dont look threatening and they are courteous outside the ring

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
As a woman who doesn't like other punch sports, I do like how the violence is not the point of sumo. You're not trying to hurt the other person in the same way as something like boxing. Obviously people still get hurt badly but the majority of it is just pushing and grappling versus punching a guy as hard as you can as much as you can.

The culture around it, at least as presented to the US viewer, is also a lot less bro-y macho poo poo. There is ceremony, the wrestlers are to treat each other with respect, there are expectations of modesty and dignity. The scandals that come out of course involve how at least some of the wrestlers are still big macho idiots who treat people like poo poo but it feels strongly counterbalanced by guys who Takayasu who just seem like delights outside the dohyo.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

e: ^^^ Yeah, my thoughts exactly.

this happened to us as well and my crackpot theory involves the facts the wrestlers initially dont look threatening and they are courteous outside the ring

That's honestly a pretty interesting theory I'd never thought about before. While sumo certainly has issues with masculine hierarchy and dominance, the rikishi aren't constantly dripping with toxic masculinity. I know not every boxer or MMA fighter is a roided out madman, but the performative aggression is way more in your face in those sports.

Plus, wrestlers like Chiyomaru, Ura, and ex-Musashimaru are genuinely adorable sweethearts the instant they leave the ring. I know that when I was throwing sumo parties back in 2017 all of the women who learned a bit about sumo were instant Ura fans, and I can't really blame them. Again, I'm sure there are sweethearts in other combat sports, but they don't have the round friendly faces of our favorite teddybears.

I mean seriously:

Kenning fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Kenning posted:

but they don't have the round friendly faces of our favorite teddybears.

Oh, so THAT'S why I've been following this so much. I'm among my people! :3: