Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Kenny Logins posted:

happy father's day yospos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i was having so much fun with my son’s switch that my wife and children got me a switch lite of my very own.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep posted:

i was having so much fun with my son’s switch that my wife and children got me a switch lite of my very own.
did they carve it themselves out of fear of corporal punishment

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Kenny Logins posted:

did they carve it themselves out of fear of corporal punishment

:hmmyes:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
im getting so tired of driving to the hospital every day

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

one of these days I need to go off and have a real good mental break because This Was Not The Plan

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
my nephew just got out of 2 weeks of nicu for undeveloped lungs. crazy time for my sister but i got to see the little guy and my 1 year old just said baby baby baby over and over while pointing. got a lot of cute pics too

rootin for your little one

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kitten emergency posted:

one of these days I need to go off and have a real good mental break because This Was Not The Plan
fingaz firmly crossed for you wee lass.

Also, it's ok to just be loving done with poo poo for a minute.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
mini logins had a cold about 4.5 weeks ago and hasn't stopped coughing since. usually light/throat-clearing stuff, but frequent before and after daycare. at least it doesn't get worse at night or prevent her from sleeping. also doesn't seem to be related to exercise- sometimes she just doesn't cough if she's physically preoccupied

she will usually wake up early with it, meaning i've been waking up early from it. driving me bananas although i'm the kind of person who gets annoyed by others coughing/sneezing. at least she's not sneezing constantly too

tried her on a daily chewable medication for allergy/asthma for a little over a week now, no effect. doctor hasn't even physically examined her yet due to covid but wants to rule out the serious stuff. taking her for her first (chest) x-ray in a couple hours and we're trying not to get worried but. ugh.

i guess we were lucky to make it to ~4 years old. and there's no other symptoms and doesn't seem to be bothering her or making her unhappy. trying to keep positive and maintain perspective. not many other places to post this so thanks for listening to my dumb story

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

oh, man. how’d it go?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

President Beep posted:

oh, man. how’d it go?
we don't have results yet but the actual x-ray took less than 30 minutes from getting out of the car to leaving again so pretty good actually. she was a little nervous around the entrance but fine once we got in

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
seems not out of the realm of possibility for a post-viral cough, good to get it checked though. my 2yr old is practically chaining illness combos at this point, nothing serious thankfully but it does wear on you

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

shoeberto posted:

Almost rounding out the first trimester. We're starting to think pretty seriously about how we'll handle everything once the kid is actually here.

General question, how the gently caress does anyone actually afford to raise a child? Assuming you were not born rich.

If this is any comfort - lots of super poor people have a bunch of kids, and they manage to get by. You can always scale back your expenses - cook at home, eat less (or cheaper) meat, drink less (or cheaper) booze, buy things second-hand.

At the end of the day, you just have to make sure you're a loving and responsible parent. Your kids can grow up broke as poo poo, and they'll turn out fine as long as you raise them right.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
"you need money to have kids" is a capitalist fallacy, the only thing you need to have kids is time to give to them

so uh yeah get ready for that. That's probably the biggest thing, you don't have weekends or holidays anymore

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

the way you afford to have children is just…do that. have kids. you’ll make it work, most likely, or you’ve managed to be the least competent organism out of an unbroken chain stretching back billions of years

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

mini logins had a cold about 4.5 weeks ago and hasn't stopped coughing since.
That's pretty long but we've had post-viral coughs last way past what we thought was reasonable with our younger one.
Fingers crossed etc but I wouldn't worry excessively right now.

Nomnom Cookie posted:

the way you afford to have children is just…do that. have kids.
In the US? gently caress that noise. There's only the faintest, wispiest of social safety nets.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

abigserve posted:

"you need money to have kids" is a capitalist fallacy, the only thing you need to have kids is time to give to them

so uh yeah get ready for that. That's probably the biggest thing, you don't have weekends or holidays anymore

but time is money so ???

evil_bunnY posted:

That's pretty long but we've had post-viral coughs last way past what we thought was reasonable with our younger one

a bit different but I had a cough/cheat infection combo when I was a teenager and past a point the docs said 'you're probably now coughing as a reflex rather than directly due to an illness so there's not much we can do except to say that it'll go away eventually' obviously you can't really tell that to a child though!

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

abigserve posted:

no weekends (at least as I knew them) was the hardest adjustment for me

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

abigserve posted:

My concern is really mainly focused on the cost of childcare directly. My wife and I are pretty frugal people generally, we're not all that caught up on accumulating stuff or keeping up with trends. But yeah, point taken otherwise.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

bobbilljim posted:

seems not out of the realm of possibility for a post-viral cough, good to get it checked though. my 2yr old is practically chaining illness combos at this point, nothing serious thankfully but it does wear on you
it really does. it went overall pretty well as far as the procedure but still waiting to hear back from the gp. i saw the xrays myself and no big black spots and lungs looked pretty normal so fingers crossed

evil_bunnY posted:

That's pretty long but we've had post-viral coughs last way past what we thought was reasonable with our younger one.
Fingers crossed etc but I wouldn't worry excessively right now.
thanks. yeah I'm thinking we're just lucky in that it's a post-viral cough type thing as we both started getting them once we got past 35

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

a bit different but I had a cough/cheat infection combo when I was a teenager and past a point the docs said 'you're probably now coughing as a reflex rather than directly due to an illness so there's not much we can do except to say that it'll go away eventually' obviously you can't really tell that to a child though!
i have my suspicions this is part of it

thanks all

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Poopernickel posted:

If this is any comfort - lots of super poor people have a bunch of kids, and they manage to get by. You can always scale back your expenses - cook at home, eat less (or cheaper) meat, drink less (or cheaper) booze, buy things second-hand.

At the end of the day, you just have to make sure you're a loving and responsible parent. Your kids can grow up broke as poo poo, and they'll turn out fine as long as you raise them right.

abigserve posted:

both of these are spot on. cavemen managed to survive having kids

the time thing is the toughest and i have found that having kids after 30 was a good move for me as opposed to earlier. as i think was not mature enough in my 20s to sacrifice 95% of my free time as i now must do.

it gets considerably better after they are out of diapers but time commitment now is still quite high. so it goes and i don't regret it my kid is the best. high risk high reward

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Kenny Logins posted:

both of these are spot on. cavemen managed to survive having kids

the time thing is the toughest and i have found that having kids after 30 was a good move for me as opposed to earlier. as i think was not mature enough in my 20s to sacrifice 95% of my free time as i now must do.

it gets considerably better after they are out of diapers but time commitment now is still quite high. so it goes and i don't regret it my kid is the best. high risk high reward

Yeah, that's what I keep telling my wife, literally everyone everywhere in the history of forever has figured it out. We're both 33 and I'm pretty grateful for that as well. I'm much less of a grump about sacrificing video game time or whatever for mundane household chores. If this had been even 5 years ago I'm not sure I would be in a place of maturity/emotional well being to handle it.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

shoeberto posted:

I'm much less of a grump about sacrificing video game time or whatever for mundane household chores. If this had been even 5 years ago I'm not sure I would be in a place of maturity/emotional well being to handle it.
if you can realize this you're deffo on the right track imo

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

as someone that was extremely skeptical about kids I can say that there's some little synapse that fires off the femtosecond you hold your own child that rewrites your brain into doing literally anything for them so imo you'll figure it out

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

my stepdads beer posted:

no weekends (at least as I knew them) was the hardest adjustment for me

no viddy games for awhile, and after that no viddy games that require unbroken blocks of your attention

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

kitten emergency posted:

as someone that was extremely skeptical about kids I can say that there's some little synapse that fires off the femtosecond you hold your own child that rewrites your brain into doing literally anything for them so imo you'll figure it out

i blubbered like crazy when both of my kids were born

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

man, I’m remembering when our second son was born. came early so he did a stint in the nicu. they let me carry him to the unit though. it was really something.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

President Beep posted:

i blubbered like crazy when both of my kids were born

i "partially syncopated" for the first one when active labor began

(that means i fainted but not enough to end up in the ER)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

southern lad needs his fainting couch, film at 11:00

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
it was when they were jamming in the big spinal needle for the epidural

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i remember when they did that and then went "uhhh.... wuh-oh"

they went too far and it didn't really take and also gave my wife massive headaches for the first two weeks of our kid's life. the anesthesiologist was being such a smug gently caress up to that point too

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

no viddy games for awhile, and after that no viddy games that require unbroken blocks of your attention

i mean you can take shifts

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i think this depends on the baby because a lot of them sleep like 20 hours a day for the first little bit

most of my time for the first few months was spent waiting for her to wake up so I could feed and change her and maybe play a little before she was ready to just get right back to sleepin. the unbroken blocks thing is dead on though. Its been four years and I still can scarcely fit in a single game of dota

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i mean like it'd be irresponsible to do something like sink a solid hour+ into a game of dota, or like spend an entire evening with your headphones on playing through an fps like subnautica

games that you can easily pick up and put down, that don't require your complete undivided attention for big blocks of time are ideal now. anything turn-based or stuff like platformers or sim stuff that you can pause a lot

yeah idk how anyone can fit online gaming into a babbyschedule. i've still gotta be on hand for like toddler nightmares and whatnot

e: oh yeah and let me reiterate - rent a "SNOO" for the first like 6 months or so. that thing was a lifechanger, it variably rocks and can settle them back down without your intervention, detects how awake the infant is, and will push to your phone when they wake all the way up. don't buy one though, they're insanely expensive

and yeah it secures them on their back. the FDA is currently reviewing it in its "breakthrough devices" program because they think it prevents SIDS. and stay the hell away from those pack-n-play things

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 24, 2021

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

hoooo boy! yeah, that makes sense.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

update: chest xray was clear and normal, next step is allergy testing

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

kitten emergency posted:

yep

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

update: chest xray was clear and normal, next step is allergy testing
Oh that's awesome.

kitten emergency posted:

Eeeeh, not for everyone.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Corla Plankun posted:

most of my time for the first few months was spent waiting for her to wake up so I could feed and change her and maybe play a little before she was ready to just get right back to sleepin. the unbroken blocks thing is dead on though. Its been four years and I still can scarcely fit in a single game of dota

i came across this throwaway line in one of the really early tom and jerry cartoons where this little girl is, iirc, playing house and making tom be the baby or something like that. anyhow the little girl who's pretending to be the mom busts out this line, which i guess was a pretty common saying at the time, and i felt it to my toes. the line was, "it's not the work, it's the worry"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
My wife and I waited until 34 to have our first and luckily didn't run into fertility problems. We are scheduled to cut #2 out one week from today so we are placing the finishing touches on the house and just getting ready for chaos.

I can reminisce with a lot of the comments on the last page. I bought a switch for use at the hospital and occasional fire emblem is the only gaming I have done since my son was born. I bought a new laptop for personal use and I'm giving away my desktop to family. I have squeezed in one or two path of exile league releases for a weekend of gaming, but by Monday it is completely over. Day care for 1 has been as expensive as our mortgage and we'll only get a slight discount on the 2nd, but that's part of why we waited so long to have kids.

The thing I'm struggling with is my son being more attached to mama. He's a great kid, very happy and loves to play, but as he's speaking more it makes me a little bit sad to hear him say "dada bye bye" when he would rather play with mama. He's in for a rude awakening really quickly when I become his main caretaker over the next month.