Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I'm heavily leaning towards dropping the 85 ton Battlemaster and adding in a 2nd 75 ton Marauder. Pushing the Armour higher while rocking the few UAC 2 and 5's I've found just make it a monster. Even if not popping heads, targeting the CT or legs of nearly anything sub 65 tons and I 1 round them
With the pushed Armour I've avoided getting it shot off the map by using the clever strategy of "sprint the hell away and peek out for precision shots"
My other 2 mechs would be a highlander and a Annihilator.
I've found a whopping 1 other double heat sink and the campaign is going well. I'm jumping to systems I haven't been to before in between campaign missions hoping to find more UAC gear or ++ weapons with little to no luck. All my missions are now 3 to 4 skulls.

I'm kinda sad in that I have never used like a black knight or grasshopper and likely won't due to getting the 90 and 100 ton mech

The Battlemaster has the same available tonnage as a 75 ton heavy so this checks out. They're wierdly overrated except maybe the SLDF version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

If you're trying to hunt down specific weapons the modifiers attached to the system will give the shop a bias:

quote:

* Battlefield: Actuators & Gyros
* Chemical: Missile weapons, Flamers, Inferno racks
* Electronics: Laser weaponry and TTS computers
* Industrial: Cockpit, Heat Banks and Exchangers
* Mining: Autocannons. Base models guaranteed, Heavy Metal variants randomly rolled.
* Research: PPCs of all types, COILs, Narc beacons, TAG lasers, ECM and Active Probe gear.
* Star League: Lostech.

And of course the Black Market which has drat near everything.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

And Tyler Too! posted:

If you're trying to hunt down specific weapons the modifiers attached to the system will give the shop a bias:

That's why pirates are the best faction to keep high rep with.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

And Tyler Too! posted:

That's awesome, thanks. I'm trying to get my pirate rep back up but struggling some. Still in the captain and I did a bunch of missions against them without really thinking about it. Woops.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

And Tyler Too! posted:

Khajit has wares... if you have coin.

Alternate version: That requires gold... do you have some?

I honestly can't remember if I ever got the Black market invite in my vanilla/pre-DLC run. I do remember grabbing some pirate pilots in case of events, and they did come in handy. Also Comcast installers and at least one other specific tag that turned out to be helpful.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

sean10mm posted:

The Battlemaster has the same available tonnage as a 75 ton heavy so this checks out. They're wierdly overrated except maybe the SLDF version.

Vanilla did the overengined mechs dirty by defining initiative based on weight. the Engine Initiative mod is an auto-include in all my playthroughs now because it gives the speedier Mechs in each class their own niche.

I've been having a shitton of laughs loving OpFors over with a Charger-3K. An assault that has the initiative, move speed, jump distance (and weaponry :pseudo:) of a medium but punches the gently caress out of everyone? Sign me the hell up.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
BEX is really good with that, gives you a reason to consider most of the over engined mechs, except the cicada. Never use the cicada.

e: How does the SLDF marauder stack up vs the madcat? I'm like 1 part away from the SLDF maruader and I've got a Madcat Prime.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 19, 2021

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ygolonac posted:

Khajit has wares... if you have coin.

Alternate version: That requires gold... do you have some?

I honestly can't remember if I ever got the Black market invite in my vanilla/pre-DLC run. I do remember grabbing some pirate pilots in case of events, and they did come in handy. Also Comcast installers and at least one other specific tag that turned out to be helpful.

Hah, the pirate faction hates me so much they even attacked me in space. Instead of paying them 50k, I chose to attack them with my Leopard, and the resulting space battle saw Behemoth launched headfirst into a bulkhead. But seeing the pirates wimping out and retreating was worth it to send one of my best pilots for two months into the med bay. :colbert:

Though of course I don't know if that event fires only if you relentlessly tank your pirate rep, it just worked out really well this way. :v:

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
You get that even if they like you, though you have the option to tell them that other, bigger, pirates like you a lot. They let you go with a list of excuses why they aren't going to attack you.

I also like the option where you can call up the local great house if they like you, the pirates run the hell away when a real warship starts vectoring in on them.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Carcer posted:

You get that even if they like you, though you have the option to tell them that other, bigger, pirates like you a lot. They let you go with a list of excuses why they aren't going to attack you.

I also like the option where you can call up the local great house if they like you, the pirates run the hell away when a real warship starts vectoring in on them.

I believe there's a third option that only shows if you have pirate-tagged pilots - either for that, or some other pirate encounter. (Playing RogueTech, so it might be limited to that modpack.)

But, now I have a low-level pirate, and an ex-ship-captain, so... maybe pick up a couple more, build some Periphery-custom mechs, and have a lance just for the sketchier less-reputable jobs...

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I beat the Campaign last night and REALLY enjoyed it. So drat well done. I'm hoping Flashpoint has some cut scenes as I love the art

I'm torn on starting a new career and exploring Flashpoint without everything being 5 skulls everywhere I go or just pushing on. I already have 3 90 to 100 ton mechs and pilots getting closer to all 10's in skills.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I beat the Campaign last night and REALLY enjoyed it. So drat well done. I'm hoping Flashpoint has some cut scenes as I love the art

I'm torn on starting a new career and exploring Flashpoint without everything being 5 skulls everywhere I go or just pushing on. I already have 3 90 to 100 ton mechs and pilots getting closer to all 10's in skills.

I would really recommend starting over, just so you'll experience some actual challenge with the lower level ones.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
A dumb question regarding reputation: If your rep with a faction has dropped into "hated", is there any way to repair that faction, or will that particular faction just become inaccessible for the current run?

It turns out I killed too many Taurians, and now that I'm operating in Taurian space, the game refuses to roll any missions for Taurians, only Davion-missions. I broke down and ran some Davion-contracts, and now I got a warning message from Taurian authorities. Is it instant game over if you max out negative rep with a faction if you're currently inside said faction's space, or can I safely ignore the message?

I'd like to repair my Taurian-rep, but if that's impossible, I'm perfectly willing to bail before Taurian warships start targeting the Argo, ha ha. :v:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
You will never be targeted by Great House warships, even when you completely ally with their enemies. At worst you won't be able to take missions. Actually, I think you can always take half-skull missions regardless of your rep unless you ally with their enemies but I'm not 100% on that.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Libluini posted:

A dumb question regarding reputation: If your rep with a faction has dropped into "hated", is there any way to repair that faction, or will that particular faction just become inaccessible for the current run?

It turns out I killed too many Taurians, and now that I'm operating in Taurian space, the game refuses to roll any missions for Taurians, only Davion-missions. I broke down and ran some Davion-contracts, and now I got a warning message from Taurian authorities. Is it instant game over if you max out negative rep with a faction if you're currently inside said faction's space, or can I safely ignore the message?

I'd like to repair my Taurian-rep, but if that's impossible, I'm perfectly willing to bail before Taurian warships start targeting the Argo, ha ha. :v:

They'll never destroy your ship or game over you, but they will close the store and hiring hall to you, making it difficult to operate there very effectively. The only way back in once they hate you is to find a half skull planet and grind dipshit lil half-skull missions until they only dislike you again.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Huh. Thanks. OK, since the only even approximately low-skull systems I see are at the opposite end of the map, I'll guess I'll shelf Project Taurus for now and go back to continue the main campaign for a while. I just managed to get a Marauder, and with 3 heavy mechs I feel I could at least do Panzyr.

Does the front line in the campaign open the corridor to Taurian space? Because that would make things a lot easier in the future.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

A lot of the 70 & 75 ton mechs are better than most assaults fwiw. Archers can core out just about anything with LRM20's, Orions pack a shitload of armor/firepower, and Marauders are basically cheating with up to 18% called shot headshots. An Atlas & King Crab can ruin your day very quickly though.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

And Tyler Too! posted:

A lot of the 70 & 75 ton mechs are better than most assaults fwiw. Archers can core out just about anything with LRM20's, Orions pack a shitload of armor/firepower, and Marauders are basically cheating with up to 18% called shot headshots. An Atlas & King Crab can ruin your day very quickly though.

Up to 35% called shots on Marauders actually. You can get 18% on any other mech if the pilot has Tactics 9+

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

And Tyler Too! posted:

Oh yeah, I guess with an Archer and a Marauder to back up my Thunderbolt and Shadowhawk, I'm already set for 1-2 more story missions. :v:

Bonus: On my way back across the border I managed to snag up a Snub-PPC+. I'm looking at that damage and I like what I see. My Marauder now also has a heat exchanger+ to reduce the heat build up. I also replaced the old AC with an UAC/5, because why not? :getin:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

And Tyler Too! posted:

An Atlas & King Crab can ruin your day very quickly though.
I nearly bankrupted myself buying out the parts for a Highlander in my current run, but it was very, very worth it. Especially once I slapped on an AC20++ and a bunch of SRM++s.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Reinstalled this for another go-round. What's the current good stuff for mods?

For the time being I'm more interested in rebalance (PPCs :argh:), quality of life changes, and tactical flavor (e.g., AI tweaks, enemy ejections, that kind of thing) more than 30xx type overhauls.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

the yeti posted:

Reinstalled this for another go-round. What's the current good stuff for mods?

For the time being I'm more interested in rebalance (PPCs :argh:), quality of life changes, and tactical flavor (e.g., AI tweaks, enemy ejections, that kind of thing) more than 30xx type overhauls.

You could always start with this for a lightweight mod pack:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15YNS1pKio9r5fqJkHiuJHEPNY4_8c7Sy?usp=sharing

quote:

Betterthanvanilla 1.3 by sean10mm

By trial and error I've basically put together what I consider my ultimate "better than vanilla" mod pack that's, as near as I can tell, bug free.

Requirements: Battletech 1.9.1 and all DLC. Tested with Modtek 0.7.7, it MAY work with the HBS mod loader but I wouldn't bet on it.

https://github.com/BattletechModders/ModTek/releases/tag/v0.7.7.7

Mods are NOT mine except where specified with "*" and those are only minor tweaks. You should be able to just delete the folders for any mods you don't want to run as long before starting a new game unless there is a note below about a dependency.

Misson Control by CWolf - For new contract types and creative reuse of maps/expansion of usable map space. Note that I don't enable a lot of the more "drastic" gameplay changes by default; you can read up on them at https://www.missioncontrolmod.com/ and play around with them if you want e.g. random friendly & enemy spawns on top of the existing mission types.
Arano Flashpoint and Travel Unlock by Aldodrem - After receiving the Argo all travel restrictions are removed + flashpoints are unlocked.
RealHitChance by casualmods - Shows the actual hit chance instead of the rounded/fudged value displayed by default.
Flashpoint Spawn Adjustments by Amechwarrior - Changes weights to let low difficulty Flashpoints to appear first.
CrystalClear by gnivler - Provides control over post-processing effects not available through the game interface. It's totally configurable and can get rid of the super grainy effect, among others. FPS gains have been reported.
Scorched Earth by gnivler - Greatly improves the way scorch mark and footstep decals perform. Now with save/load persistence.
TurretlessVehicleHit by dogfisc - Fix for the bug of hits on vehicles being lost when they hit the turret location of a vehicle without a turret. With this mod, the hit is moved to the facing side/front/rear.
Battletech Performance Fix by m22spencer - Does what it says, except I disabled the mechlab "fix" which is always buggy for me for some reason
Panic System by gnivler (there are tons of forks of different people's versions of this, the fork hosted by gnivler has been bug free for me so I stick with it) - Pilots of mechs that are super hosed up (yours OR the enemy) have a chance of panicking and ejecting instead of just limping at you one leg firing a single machine gun until they explode. It's a low key huge improvement over vanilla behavior.
Hangar of Stompyness by Colobos/Crackfox- New mechs with high quality models, I only used the IS mechs from 3050 and earlier. I also removed the Lance Command Mod from the Marauder II since it was beyond overpowered in a 100 ton lostech juggernaut lol
SLDF Incoming by klyith - Adds SLDF mechs and truly elite pilots to enemy forces, including 2 new SLDF variants. Minor gameplay spoiler: You can't headshot them to cheaply farm SLDF mechs
*Market Mod - I actually made this, it adds the SLDF Incoming and selected Hangar of Stompyness mechs and parts to the black market. Dependent on those mods to work properly.
*PPC Heat Fix - Lower heat values for PPC and ER PPC (all variants) to make them usable.
*Skip intros & enable debug console with shift/ctrl/-
Skip Travel Cutscenes by mpstark
cFixes by Team Banzai - Lots of small fixes
Little Things by Mad - More assorted little tweaks.
Color LOS mod by janxious & Redferne
Flashpoint: The Raid by amechwarrior - It's a flashpoint!
Give Me Death & Give Them Kell by Justin Kase - Fixes to the gray death legion & kell hound flashpoints so the legendary mechwarriors actually have elite stats & the correct mechs
Don't Shoot the Dead by Mad - Don't fire support weapons if the melee attack is a kill.
Flashpoint Stock Photos by amechwarrior - I think this is required by Flashpoint: The Raid
Career Select Pilots by dogfisc - So I can start career mode with the starting "ronin" from campaign mode
Randomer Starting Mechs by HandyVac - Bigger pool of starting mechs, but still restricted to light/medium for balance
QuickCam by amechwarrior - Camera improvements to remove apparent "lag"

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 20, 2021

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I love the Orion but it feels a bit anemic once you get a few other heavies together, or once you're fighting mostly heavies.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Carcer posted:

I love the Orion but it feels a bit anemic once you get a few other heavies together, or once you're fighting mostly heavies.

It was an A+ heavy mech in vanilla before 1.8/Heavy Metal added the Warhammer, Archer and Marauder.

The Warhammer has the +20% energy damage bonus
The Archer has bonuses to SRMs or LRMs, so it's better as either a LRM boat OR a ML/SRM brawler
The Marauder is an OP headshot machine with the lance command module

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Technowolf posted:

I would really recommend starting over, just so you'll experience some actual challenge with the lower level ones.

Good call! I'm enjoying the challenge(read incredibly frustrated at how lovely my guys are at shooting starting out) of playing. Doing my first Flashpoint, B Lined to it and almost bankrupted myself getting to it, for the Raven. gently caress yeah. This is what I was hoping for.
Would I have loved more of the art cut scenes like in the campaign?
Absolutely
Am I glad there is some actual story tossed in and dialogue and all that?
gently caress to the yes

Great game!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Carcer posted:

Orions somehow are always the first heavy I get in a career and I kind of loving hate them lol. The only one I'm really happy to see is the ON1-R because it has 7 missile slots and comes with an XL engine, but I just hate the look they have.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Thanks dude this seems like just the thing :tipshat:

Do I need to configure any of those or edit anything, or have they already got reasonable settings as-packaged?

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I'd say get the DLC, do the HM mini-Campaign FP chain with your endgame save, then start a new career and use my FP Spawn Adjustment mod so the lower skull ones appear earlier when you're on par with their difficulty. Edit: Else, any FP will spawn randomly (besides the two "starter FPs" and the HM mini-campaign) and you usually end up with a lot of 3+ skulls you can't do anything with during your early months.

Those low skull FPs have real weight in a new career when you have to choose between 1mil vs some sweet salvage vs "doing the right thing." Compared to doing those in an endgame save, where you don't really care about most random salvage and money is an afterthought, the tension isn't the same. Your deep endgame bench also makes the consecutive FPs much easier vs making the hard choices on who or what to deploy after taking a beating on the previous mission.

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jun 20, 2021

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Gwaihir posted:

Orions somehow are always the first heavy I get in a career and I kind of loving hate them lol. The only one I'm really happy to see is the ON1-R because it has 7 missile slots and comes with an XL engine, but I just hate the look they have.

You'll pry my walking angular murder box away from my cold, dead hands.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

the yeti posted:

Thanks dude this seems like just the thing :tipshat:

Do I need to configure any of those or edit anything, or have they already got reasonable settings as-packaged?

They are all configured with the settings I use to play. You just need to install modtek.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Welp, I went ahead and enabled mechs going up through Jihad in my Roguetech run, to see if I can get some real zoot weapons and gear. Had a chance of a Heavy Gauss from a Hollander II, but after I blew off a leg, the allied turrets crit'd the poo poo out of the gun. (Did get 3x ammo for it, though.) Another mission, 3x AP Gauss, for Hyper-Gauss fun... and no ammo.

I'd have the ammo, except something else dropped I wanted. Clan Arrow IV, for weight and slot savings. And where did I find said Clan goodie?

Kit Fox V.

Yes, 30-ton scout, 12 tons of bombardment missile with three tons of ammo.

Oh, and a couple Clan ER Small Lasers for when you finish off your 15 big shots.

It's a loving SCUD launcher with legs.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Is there any greater joy in this game than getting Black Market access early and immediately putting yourself on the edge of bankruptcy buying the parts for an assault mech?

Because I now have a missile boat Highlander. :getin:

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Quick question about BEX, as I know a lot of you guys play it/modify it

Is there a good way for me to tell in the mod files where a certain faction is at certain times? Say if I'm chasing Snords irregulars or Wolfs dragoons?

junidog
Feb 17, 2004

TescoBag posted:

Quick question about BEX, as I know a lot of you guys play it/modify it

Is there a good way for me to tell in the mod files where a certain faction is at certain times? Say if I'm chasing Snords irregulars or Wolfs dragoons?

The file that tracks where each subfaction is when is BT_Extended_Timeline/UnitSetting.json - I think you want the UnitsOnPlanets section. Unfortunately everything is done by meaningless identifiers, so you have to decode those by checking the name in each file in BT_Extended_Timeline\factions. For Snords specifically, they're faction_Merc28, but I can't find wolfs dragoons. But in UnitSettings.json the only reference to Snords/Merc28 is in the MercenariesAllegiance section - they don't appear in UnitsOnPlanets. So maybe they never garrison a planet? But then I'm not sure what causes them to appear - e.g. do merc factions aligned with a faction but not garrisoning a planet just randomly replace their parent faction on missions? It seems weird since Merc27, for example, is declared alongside Snord in MercenariesAllegiance but also appears in the UnitsOnPlanets section.

junidog fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jun 21, 2021

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

junidog posted:

The file that tracks where each subfaction is when is BT_Extended_Timeline/UnitSetting.json - I think you want the UnitsOnPlanets section. Unfortunately everything is done by meaningless identifiers, so you have to decode those by checking the name in each file in BT_Extended_Timeline\factions. For Snords specifically, they're faction_Merc28, but I can't find wolfs dragoons. But in UnitSettings.json the only reference to Snords/Merc28 is in the MercenariesAllegiance section - they don't appear in UnitsOnPlanets. So maybe they never garrison a planet? But then I'm not sure what causes them to appear - e.g. do merc factions aligned with a faction but not garrisoning a planet just randomly replace their parent faction on missions? It seems weird since Merc27, for example, is declared alongside Snord in MercenariesAllegiance but also appears in the UnitsOnPlanets section.

Looks like it might have something to do with the "MercenariesAllegiance" section of unitsettings.json? Looks like they can be randomly replaced as faction forces sometimes maybe?

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
New addition to the giant stack of mods in RogueTech - there's now location- and severity-specific *pilot* damage. :unsmigghh:

You got yer broken bones (arms, legs, jaws, including compound fractures), you got yer burns (all locations), and you got yer concussions ("Everything is spinny").

And you got *bleedout*. This gives you a limited number of turns ("activations") to either complete the mission, extract or eject.

Or, y'know... die.

Works on both enemies and your own pilots, injury notifications show up in the combat result floaties. (Bleedout is red, and does let you know the countdown each turn, so you can panic appropriately.)

Anything that normally will cause pilot injuries (torso destruction, ammo explosion, headshots, falling down, massive overheating) will now drop what appears to be appropriate specific injuries - fall down? Break poo poo. Internal explosion? I think that's where the burns are coming from.

Wounds also cause debuffs during combat - busted legs affect movement, for example. And if they're severe enough, you can gain the "debilitated" tag, which keeps that debuff past the normal healing time. That tag can be removed via events (I don't know which ones), or by hitting up a higher-tech world and getting prosthetics.

Upcoming is requiring implants to use DNI/Advanced Imaging gear, but that's apparently waiting for a savebreak because there's no easy way to wedge that in.

I know what you're thinking - "gently caress RogueTech." But wait! It's not an RT exclusive, it's standalone! Fella on Reddit has been running it in his BEX campaign, so you can probably increase your sadism/masochism ranking with Fetish Review Board in any modpack or buffet-modded play.

I don't have the link because I just casually glanced at the info and skimmed the details, but it's apparently called Tis But A Scratch, and it's on github.

I am dearly hoping that this will affect morale - if someone is all busted up but their ride is still is working condition, you'd think they'd be more susceptible to panic-ejections...

Edit: now with linkie! https://github.com/ajkroeg/TisButAScratch

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 22, 2021

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Why would the pilot's busted leg impact the mech's movement?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

Not sure how canon it is but in MWO you can see pedals inside some of the cockpits, the Annihilator in particular. I guess those control acceleration/deceleration.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

A Strange Aeon posted:

I think this is based on the idea that you're using mech joysticks to control your arms, and foot pedals to control your mech's movement.

Nope. Thanks, but that's a bit too excessive for my taste. I like it that pilot injuries are safely abstracted away so I don't have to get an aneurysm when one of my pilots has their third injury resulting in a broken penis, which leads to them panicking, ejecting and landing head first on the Katana of the enemy Kuritan pilot which panic-ejected a turn earlier and impaled himself on the left foot of his Panther

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Dwarf fortress with battlemechs