Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

The All For One documentary is worth it to see Neil Stephens be Aggressively Australian at Froome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

rt4 posted:

If you really want to make other motorists angry, simply obey the speed limit

Yeah sure but have you tried driving BELOW the speed limit?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Hey everyone long time no post just dropping by to show you the most incredible field rigging I've seen irl:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Would flipping that ad hoc tensioner to the other side of the chain increase or decrease the likelihood of it bumping into the spokes?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

rope kid posted:

Hey everyone long time no post just dropping by to show you the most incredible field rigging I've seen irl:

Holy poo poo

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Those rims look like they're on their last legs too. Cool save though.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

rope kid posted:

😵‍💫

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

Those rims look like they're on their last legs too. Cool save though.

They've already fractured in places. That is a legit dangerous bike.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

serious gaylord posted:

They've already fractured in places. That is a legit dangerous bike.

the radavist loves it

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Levitate posted:

the radavist loves it

only if that is a $99 bespoke leather derailleur strap

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

rope kid posted:

No f’kin worries lads

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Coxswain Balls posted:

Would flipping that ad hoc tensioner to the other side of the chain increase or decrease the likelihood of it bumping into the spokes?
Initially he ran the Voile strap (just the strap) to the top side of the chain and he was able to make it up the final mile of dirt/rock climbing to the campsite. This is what he whipped up at the camp. I don't think he was having problems with spoke bumping, but also the following day we were all just descending nonstop so I don't know how much of an issue it was anyway.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Driving up to Scotland today to start John o groats -> Lands End tomorrow over 9 days. First day is 35 miles but then the next 8 are 110 miles each day. Gonna die!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

It's ok it's downhill all the way

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Driving up to Scotland today to start John o groats -> Lands End tomorrow over 9 days. First day is 35 miles but then the next 8 are 110 miles each day. Gonna die!

Don't kill too many cyclists driving up!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Put my bike in the shower and gave it a good cleaning today. I even cleaned my chain and cassette real good with degreaser and didn't realize they were shiny silver colored and not matte black colored. Took it for a spin around the neighborhood just to make sure I didn't gently caress anything up and it feels good. Every once in a while like once in maybe 30 shifts, shifting gets a little weird like it doesn't quite want to jump gears even though the handle makes the click. Maybe the wire for the derailleur is a little loose? Bike is 2 months old and I'm at 550 miles total so far but think I'm ok to hold off on bringing it to the shop. I'm trying to make it closer to 1k miles before I bring it in for the free basic tuneup they gave me when I bought the bike.

The weather was unusually nice for north texas yesterday and I gave the B group a shot. I made it 13ish miles before I couldn't take it anymore. The sweeper was a woman with grey hair maybe late 40s and she was pushing me while riding next to me to help me catch up on a downhill. 17.5mph is a bit much for me still, but at least I know I belong in the C group where we usually clock in around 15.5-16 for the 30 mile ride.

This weekend is also my birthday so I'm gonna attempt 45-50ish miles around the lake. Bikes are cool and good.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Did you lube the chain after degreasing it? Sorry if that's a no-brainer, but you didn't say and a lack of lube'll cause some reluctant shifting at times

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Lex Neville posted:

Did you lube the chain after degreasing it? Sorry if that's a no-brainer, but you didn't say and a lack of lube'll cause some reluctant shifting at times

I did use a dry lube on the chain and shifted it all the way up and down the cassette before I took it out. I probably gave it 3 full rotations of chain worth of lube which is I think is maybe too much since what I read online was applying until you hit about 2 full rotations of chain. Maybe it'll sort itself out after my ride tonight and a few hours of the lube soaking in. I did pop my chain off to degrease it which is terrifying with the tool since now I'm scared I didn't put the bolt in good enough and my chain is gonna fly off when i'm 15 miles from home. I did over push it already where the chain wouldn't even bend at the link so I loosened it back just a tad until the link would bend freely like the rest. Also while cleaning my chain I found out that I have an SRAM link so I bought a tool for nothing. :doh: The cherry on top was realizing I didn't need to remove my chain at all to clean it after googling for a bit. :doh: :doh:

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

poemdexter posted:

Put my bike in the shower and gave it a good cleaning today. I even cleaned my chain and cassette real good with degreaser and didn't realize they were shiny silver colored and not matte black colored. Took it for a spin around the neighborhood just to make sure I didn't gently caress anything up and it feels good. Every once in a while like once in maybe 30 shifts, shifting gets a little weird like it doesn't quite want to jump gears even though the handle makes the click. Maybe the wire for the derailleur is a little loose? Bike is 2 months old and I'm at 550 miles total so far but think I'm ok to hold off on bringing it to the shop. I'm trying to make it closer to 1k miles before I bring it in for the free basic tuneup they gave me when I bought the bike.

That sounds like the indexing is slightly out, you can do it yourself by tightening the bolt at the derailleur. See this guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkZxPIZ1ngY
(you can probably skip the part where they set the limit screws, so start at 6:50)

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

poemdexter posted:

I did pop my chain off to degrease it which is terrifying with the tool since now I'm scared I didn't put the bolt in good enough and my chain is gonna fly off when i'm 15 miles from home. I did over push it already where the chain wouldn't even bend at the link so I loosened it back just a tad until the link would bend freely like the rest. Also while cleaning my chain I found out that I have an SRAM link so I bought a tool for nothing. :doh: The cherry on top was realizing I didn't need to remove my chain at all to clean it after googling for a bit. :doh: :doh:
Chains aren't really designed to be broken and re-linked but you're probably fine. I've certainly done it a number of times in the past and have never had a problem. But now that you know you have a quick link, just open it there going forward.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Samopsa posted:

That sounds like the indexing is slightly out, you can do it yourself by tightening the bolt at the derailleur. See this guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkZxPIZ1ngY
(you can probably skip the part where they set the limit screws, so start at 6:50)

This is exactly what it was. I went on the group ride tonight and had to peel off because the shifting was wildly inconsistent. Watched that video, turned a knob a few times, and now it's like brand new. Thanks!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

poemdexter posted:

Watched that video, turned a knob a few times, and now it's like brand new. Thanks!

If you'd limped it to 1000mi and brought it in, the shop would have done the same thing, maybe a couple more turns.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

poemdexter posted:

This is exactly what it was. I went on the group ride tonight and had to peel off because the shifting was wildly inconsistent. Watched that video, turned a knob a few times, and now it's like brand new. Thanks!

Cables stretch rapidly when new then settle in for the long haul.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Pub 50 wheelset, gp5000 TDF, and I bought a b17 imperial saddle because my seat bones and taint hurt.

Seems very cool and good so

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What do the wheels sound like? Deep rim whoosh factor is important.

e: the 50s sold out since you bought them, which always makes it feel slightly cooler of a deal.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 25, 2021

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

kimbo305 posted:

What do the wheels sound like? Deep rim whoosh factor is important.

e: the 50s sold out since you bought them, which always makes it feel slightly cooler of a deal.

I haven't gotten to ride it much other than a test ride around the block.

I had to adjust the brakes slightly, after swapping in the carbon specific pads since these wheels must be slightly wider than the aluminum DT Swiss wheels that came on the bike. And honestly I hate messing with cables of any sort. I hope I adjusted everything. They seem to stop well, and the hub is nearly silent so I guess that's cool.

And yeah when I saw again that they had sold out that felt kinda neat. I wonder if I purchased the last set. I hope there's not some reason they were on such a apparently deep discount.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

MetaJew posted:

I hope there's not some reason they were on such a apparently deep discount.

Pub is a house brand of Framed, which is pretty well established, so if they were fine staking their reputation on them at $1500, then they should be good for 700.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Pub is a house brand of Framed, which is pretty well established, so if they were fine staking their reputation on them at $1500, then they should be good for 700.

Yeah I did a little reading on Framed and they seemed like they had been around long enough to be trustworthy, and the hubs themselves are pretty expensive when I was pricing out wheels from Light Bicycle, so all in all I'm pretty happy.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

A friend ask if I wanted this old Schwinn varsity, the answer is yes right?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
probably

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Ropes4u posted:

A friend ask if I wanted this old Schwinn varsity, the answer is yes right?

I'm leaning towards no unless you want to spend a lot of effort on bad (but maybe cool looking once cleaned up) bike.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Looks like an electroforged frame. Would be cool to see and work on one, and would be cool for a minute to heft a 40-lb road bike.
But after that you prob would be best served flipping it as a novelty.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

My friend had one of those in college. Incredibly unwieldy bike in every way. Best use case is part of some welding art in a desert commune

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

It was purchased in the 70s ridden through high school. And now awaits my pick up. It was free so if worse comes to worse I can toss it. He is cleaning out the house to move and sadly opted to give me this instead of the 69 road runner he also bought a kid.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

MetaJew posted:

Pub 50 wheelset, gp5000 TDF, and I bought a b17 imperial saddle because my seat bones and taint hurt.

Seems very cool and good so

green specialized bikes always look so good

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
whats the likely culprit of my front shimano hydraulic brake having some shudder?

i dropped some new pads in to see if that helps and it did at first but still getting shudder at medium speed when i engage the brakes between 20-60% of the brake lever engagement

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

whats the likely culprit of my front shimano hydraulic brake having some shudder?

i dropped some new pads in to see if that helps and it did at first but still getting shudder at medium speed when i engage the brakes between 20-60% of the brake lever engagement

Do bicycle disk brakes have little clips or anti squeal springs like cars? Do you need to put some kind of grease on the back of the pad between the pad and the piston?

I have no knowledge of bike brakes, but those are things I would consider on a car.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

BraveUlysses posted:

Likely to be unevenly bedded in imo

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
See I’d spend the bare minimum getting it so it doesn’t fall apart and then you got a cool bike to ride to the pub knowing it’s not worth much if it gets nicked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i did bed the old and new set in. they seemed fine for a bit but now feeling the shudder again.