Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Zopotantor posted:

unfortunately the true believers won’t be stopped by minor obstacles like forgotten passwords or dying SSDs. remember that one rai stone that sank to the bottom of the ocean, but kept being traded.

i think i will be happy when the core problem of crypto - energy use - is gone, so honestly let them trade their monopoly money afterwards until the last exchange standing reveals it was run by the feds and everyone gets owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Penisface posted:

i think i will be happy when the core problem of crypto - energy use - is gone, so honestly let them trade their monopoly money afterwards until the last exchange standing reveals it was run by the feds and everyone gets owned

:same:

Not that I'll stop laughing, but the seething hatred for this waste of energy will be gone.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Penisface posted:

the energy and hardware waste of "crypto""currencies" is certainly one of the most odious things about it.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

kw0134 posted:

who's to say that any of these coins exist?

:hmmyes:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Alan Smithee posted:

what is

love

a miserable little pile of babies hurting me

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNy_retSME0

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Price is really dropping overnight. Kind of strange an authoritarian government could impact the decentralized currency of the future so much.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Do miners tend to keep big stocks of coins when the price drops waiting to sell at a higher price? Wondering if the Chinese miners will be dumping lots of coins as part of their shut down

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
cheap coins! get them while you can, this is the real ground floor and you’ll die a starving beggar if you don’t invest your life savings within 6 hours!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/HellgallopJack/status/1406860317792014337

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

mostly accurate, although that's been a crypto talking point the entire time crypto has existed, not just recently

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
surely the lightning network will solve that problem though right

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Hammerite posted:

mostly accurate, although that's been a crypto talking point the entire time crypto has existed, not just recently

yes, the intensity of how ridiculous it is only increases as time passes

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

what you don't remember when the internet forked into hundreds of competing internets and everyone involved in them lost their money?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

the internet famously had a huge bubble where loads of useless stuff was touted and everyone lost their money but if you point that out they'll be all "no not like that!"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Well yeah but then immediately after that there was a second even stupider ongoing boom where the dumbest poo poo makes billions of dollars so maybe not the best example.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

KnifeWrench posted:

yes, the intensity of how ridiculous it is only increases as time passes
it's still early days, cryptosporidium enthusiasts claim, as around this time the web was fully integrated in people's lives while buttcoin's most salient recent usage was selling url redirects for obscene amounts of money

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
china cracking down on miners? this, of course, is a good thing for bitcoin!

https://twitter.com/davidmarcus/status/1406918261581750273?s=21

Note: he never explains why it’s good, It Just Is

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Nybble posted:

infernal machines posted:

you'll note, this is actually good for bitcoin because...

chinese mining pools controlled over half the network hashrate combined, so this is decentralization, you see

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Nybble posted:

i think its racism

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
when the mining stops being centralized in China and starts being centralized in America instead, that's good for bitscoin, because it's becoming less centralized

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Boxturret posted:

i think its racism

Now now. you know what we think of doxxing around here

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Any day when #buythedip is trending is a good day.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

infernal machines posted:

you'll note, this is actually good for bitcoin because...

chinese mining pools controlled over half the network hashrate combined, so this is decentralization, you see

I buy this tbh. The chinese state effectively having control over bitcoin was a strong point against it and the idea that it was "decentralized".

It will almost certainly recentralize somewhere, but If it's actually more spread out now, that is good for bitcoin.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

it’ll recentralise in the US because they’ll push that the US isn’t going to ban crypto like those filthy commies, apparently a lot of the chinese mining farms are getting sold in their entirety to american miners

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Nybble posted:

tbf it's twitter so posting hot takes with no context is the norm

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Really the Chinese government figured out how to drop the carbon emissions by half without reducing transaction rate per second. Other countries should follow

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Hammerite posted:

when the mining stops being centralized in China and starts being centralized in America instead, that's good for bitscoin, because it's becoming less centralized

It's not in CENTRAL America, checkmate nocoiner :smuggo:

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
wish someone would track daily indexes of USDC and USDT distributions - that whale alert Twitter keeps posting lots of USDC mintings today (30M-80M per)

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
The Tether printer has been inactive for a couple of weeks by the look of it.

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

https://coinquora.com/doge-branded-as-ponzi-by-federal-reserve-bank-president/

lol and, in fact, lmao

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

hmbol

quote:

In other words, DOGE was able to maintain its stability despite the bloody market nowadays. In fact, DOGE was able to sustain its market capitalization to over $30 billion in the face of crypto market wild volatility.

Today, DOGE trades at a decent price of $.27 with a 1-year growth rate of almost +11000%

I didn't even have to cut that together. Those are consecutive sentences.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 21, 2021

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I'm seeing multiple unconfirmed instances of "ponzi buddy" on the postchain so I'll do the crypto thing of claiming I came up with it.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
nothing says "stability" like up uP UP

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

cool av posted:

I buy this tbh. The chinese state effectively having control over bitcoin was a strong point against it and the idea that it was "decentralized".

It will almost certainly recentralize somewhere, but If it's actually more spread out now, that is good for bitcoin.

cool av

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

cool av posted:

The reason centralization is bad is because of the exact thing that's happening now in China. If it happening is in fact not bad, then centralization is fine I guess?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

are any of y'all getting mad text/robocall spam "account recovery" about coinbase? I'm going to guess that's focused on the 415 area code

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
buttcoin: be your owned bank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Chalks posted:

The reason centralization is bad is because of the exact thing that's happening now in China. If it happening is in fact not bad, then centralization is fine I guess?

perhaps more accurate to say centralization is self-correcting? make too big of a target and you get shut down. we joke a lot about bitcoiner talking points, but this would appear to be a legitimately resilient aspect of the system, unfortunately