Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Mystery Men is getting a blu-ray sourced from the original camera negatives. That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Return-of-the-Living-Dead-Blu-ray/135955/

This one is out of print?

CPL593H posted:

Mystery Men is getting a blu-ray sourced from the original camera negatives. That is all.

I. Will. Buy. This.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

caligulamprey posted:

It's OOP and has a newer 4K scan not on any other release. :smith:

It's really weird to me that Shout did 4K scans/transfers for a handful of their older releases and put them out in limited runs with steelbooks. Like, was the cost offset worth it for such a short run? Why not just put out the better scan by itself?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I got steel book because it was the cheapest way to get H3 by itself. Dang. Maybe check some FYE if you have them. Might have older stock.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'm still sore because the last shout sale it was available, I had it in my cart for like 15 bucks but didn't pull the trigger. I came back an hour later after rethinking it and poof it was gone forever.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Origami Dali posted:

I'm still sore because the last shout sale it was available, I had it in my cart for like 15 bucks but didn't pull the trigger. I came back an hour later after rethinking it and poof it was gone forever.

Reminds me of a friend of mine who missed out on meeting Mr. T at the mall.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
A lot of you will be happier if you can reach the "I don't really need anymore of this poo poo." phase.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I feel like I could have retired by now if I’d never started collecting this variety of garbage in the first place.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Just went hog-wild on Amazon’s Prime Day sale and got a bunch of 4K movies:

Matrix trilogy
Elysium
Knowing
Source Code
Lord of War
Dark Knight trilogy
Jurassic Park 5-movie set

Lord of the Rings 4K was on sale but I’m still holding out for a version with the 656883 hours of special features like the Blu-ray set.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I had some $10 code for using the Amazon app, so I just picked up the Columbo series set for $20. It beats sitting through 10+ minutes of ads watching each episode on IMDbTV.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Yeah I just complained about wasting too much money on this stuff and I’m looking at a couple hundred from this sale. :shepspends:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Anyone find me a shout factory return of the living dead for a good price

No

Ok

:(

Same. I'm hoping that it means a 4K will be coming our way soon, but it's a fool's hope.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fly Ricky posted:

Yeah I just complained about wasting too much money on this stuff and I’m looking at a couple hundred from this sale. :shepspends:

ONE OF US :shepspends:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I am proud of myself. Have not bought anything during this Amazon sale.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
If you're on my level then you don't buy anything during these sales because you didn't have the willpower to not buy them on release.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Are there any good deals even? The only thing I bought was Lust for a Vampire, which was down to $16.79. Nothing else is really exciting me, which is probably good, as I just picked up the Severin Christopher Lee set from Diabolik.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I bought Dark Knight Trilogy 4K and that's bout it. I'm a lot more pickier these days

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

If you're on my level then you don't buy anything during these sales because you didn't have the willpower to not buy them on release.

*laughs in Nobody shipping at full price today*

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

ultraviolence123 posted:

Are there any good deals even? The only thing I bought was Lust for a Vampire, which was down to $16.79. Nothing else is really exciting me, which is probably good, as I just picked up the Severin Christopher Lee set from Diabolik.

LOTR 4k for $60 is definitely the best price you're gonna find, typically it goes for at least $70 and usually closer to $90 if it's not on sale.

Same goes for Back to the Future, Fast & Furious, The Matrix, Jurassic Park, Dark Knight and a few other series. They're all somewhere around $20 cheaper than you'd typically find them.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The move to make is to spend way too much loving money on stupid bullshit on Record Store Day and the Vinegar Syndrome sale so you can't afford anything on Prime Day. :shepicide:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

caligulamprey posted:

The move to make is to spend way too much loving money on stupid bullshit on Record Store Day and the Vinegar Syndrome sale so you can't afford anything on Prime Day. :shepicide:

I just bought all the Pink Panther Blus and I'm Gonna Get You Sucka from the Kino Lorber sale, so Amazon is out for me.

Would have pre-ordered CB4 too if I hadn't just watched it last night.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

ultraviolence123 posted:

The 25(?) film James Bond collection is $60 on blu-ray, and that's a pretty good deal. I don't own it, though, so I can't speak on quality.

I'm not buying anything, and just waiting to buy stuff from Severin this weekend.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wonder if we'll get some classic Bonds in 4k around the time when No Time to Die finally comes out later this year. Or maybe a Brosnan 4k set.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

I wonder if we'll get some classic Bonds in 4k around the time when No Time to Die finally comes out later this year. Or maybe a Brosnan 4k set.

It's such a shame that GoldenEye is the only good Bond of the Brosnan era.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

It's such a shame that GoldenEye is the only good Bond of the Brosnan era.

I have a lot of nostalgia for Tomorrow Never Dies. But anyway I can't pass up big budget 90's action films on UHD, those real explosions are such great eye candy.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I have a lot of nostalgia for Tomorrow Never Dies. But anyway I can't pass up big budget 90's action films on UHD, those real explosions are such great eye candy.

Rambo 3 is $7.50 on UHD right now on Amazon. I bought it when it was still in stock, and now it's not, but the price has stuck. So if you're down to get it in a few weeks, have at it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Rambo 3 is $7.50 on UHD right now on Amazon. I bought it when it was still in stock, and now it's not, but the price has stuck. So if you're down to get it in a few weeks, have at it.

Already have the Rambo series.

I don't think I've missed a UHD release of a catalogue action movie yet, I might have them all. It's like the #1 thing that I love about the format, it's breathed new life into all of those action movies I grew up with(my excitement about Speed 4k was totally genuine).

In The Line of Fire 4k was fantastic by the way.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 21, 2021

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Already have the Rambo series.

I don't think I've missed a UHD release of a catalogue action movie yet, I might have them all. It's like the #1 thing that I love about the format, it's breathed new life into all of those action movies I grew up with(my excitement about Speed 4k was totally genuine).

In The Line of Fire 4k was fantastic by the way.

I do think I've been most impressed by the action genre when it comes to 4k UHDs, especially stuff from the 70's to the 90's. Horror is an obvious 2nd, especially with weird in-betweeners like Tremors, which has explosions and monster guts and creature designs, and They Live, really popping.

I recently watched my Blues Brothers 4k UHD, and I'm now (re-)convinced it's the best car movie on the format, and maybe ever made. Stuff like Road Warrior is obviously impressive for different reasons, but Blues Brothers has so much destruction in really awesome environments, like the mall, and the punctuation with humor is so good.

edit: Still need to get Speed...

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Well poo poo.

Sale talk made me go check Criterion and the Zatoici set is in stock.

Of course I had to order it :homebrew:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The Alfred Hitchcock 4k UHD collection is $30 right now. That's a no-brainer.

*on Amazon

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

edit: Still need to get Speed...

If I were choosing like three moments to show someone to demonstrate the benefits of UHD, one of them would be the explosion towards the end of Speed where the runaway bus hits the plane.

The other two would probably be the opening of Alien where the camera slowly moves through the ship(it feels like you're actually there inside the Nostromo, it's nuts), and The Shining where Jack walks into the Gold Room when the big ghost gala is going on.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Goonies 4k UHD is $13 right now. I'm not a huge fan, but I grabbed it cuz I'm a sucker for 80's fun.

Animal House 4k UHD is $10.

Peter Jackson's King Kong 4k UHD is $10

Basebf555 posted:

If I were choosing like three moments to show someone to demonstrate the benefits of UHD, one of them would be the explosion towards the end of Speed where the runaway bus hits the plane.

The other two would probably be the opening of Alien where the camera slowly moves through the ship(it feels like you're actually there inside the Nostromo, it's nuts), and The Shining where Jack walks into the Gold Room when the big ghost gala is going on.

That's awesome. I'll grab a copy when one of these boutique labels isn't devouring my movie budget with a sale.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 21, 2021

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
On one hand I hate Amazon and how it's helping to dismantle our society. On the other hand, I am cheap and I crave cheap 4K.

...I caved and bought the Hitchcock collection (only 15 minutes left til its gone, folks). Gonna be keeping an eye on this thread all day—would appreciate anyone mentioning any must-buy finds!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

On one hand I hate Amazon and how it's helping to dismantle our society. On the other hand, I am cheap and I crave cheap 4K.

...I caved and bought the Hitchcock collection (only 15 minutes left til its gone, folks). Gonna be keeping an eye on this thread all day—would appreciate anyone mentioning any must-buy finds!

Blues Brothers 4k UHD is $10. It looks and sounds fantastic.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I had $10 in promotional credit exclusively for Prime Day for supporting a small business or something, so I grabbed the BTTF trilogy without the dumb little toy. I haven’t had it on home media since an early 2000s DVD set. Those ones had commentary pop ups that were really gimmicky and crashed our DVD player more often than not.

My parents had BTTF taped off HBO at some point. I watched that so many times as a kid.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Beetlejuice 4k UHD is $13.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just in case this might effect someone's decision on the Hitchcock 4k set, blu ray.com just put Vertigo and Rear Window on the release calendar for individual 4k releases in September.

In the same round of additions to the calendar is The Thing.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Just in case this might effect someone's decision on the Hitchcock 4k set, blu ray.com just put Vertigo and Rear Window on the release calendar for individual 4k releases in September.

In the same round of additions to the calendar is The Thing.

The Thing is probably gonna be a Universal release, too. I'm gonna double dip, but I can't imagine it'll have nearly as many special features as the Shout releases.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Franchescanado posted:

The Alfred Hitchcock 4k UHD collection is $30 right now. That's a no-brainer.

*on Amazon

Daaaamn. Bought. This has been on my buy list for a while. Glad to grab it at such a great price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

Daaaamn. Bought. This has been on my buy list for a while. Glad to grab it at such a great price.

I bought it at $50 and felt that it was totally worth it at that price. For $30? It's an amazing price.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 21, 2021