Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Carthag Tuek posted:

"someone" blew out the amp in 1998 tho :(

you monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i know

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
this is what i did recently

preamp: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TubeOpto8--art-tubeopto-8-8-channel-tube-microphone-preamplifier-with-lightpipe

audio interface for surround routing: https://new.steinberg.net/audio-interfaces/axr4/

amps: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PLD42--qsc-pld4.2-power-amplifier-with-dsp

2 big center channel speakers (idk model) and 6 of these for surround: https://jblpro.com/en/products/scs-12 and one of these https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1303703-REG/electro_voice_elx118p_18_subwoofer_kit.html but i want another. theyre a lot cheaper now. either that or spend another 2k on a really big one

used an ancient old behringer eurorack mixer for live level adjustments.

mics i did the whole shure package

https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/wireless-systems/glx-d-advanced/glxd14r-mx153-advanced-digital-wireless-set

https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/accessories/ua846z2_lc

https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/accessories/ua874

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

mediaphage posted:

this is a macos thing specifically. it still sucks for bluetooth audio that isn’t made by apple. there are terminal commands you can try but they never work 100% of the time. i literally just gave up. it still happens and while i shouldn’t i’m still amazed that apple just lets it be like this.

on macOS with original airpods by tim it still reverts into tin can mode if trying to use the mic on them. does it not on the newer ones??? i assume its still hosed.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

FMguru posted:

some music sounds best when played through linux systems

such as:

and:

at least it's not lossy

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Bulgakov posted:

on macOS with original airpods by tim it still reverts into tin can mode if trying to use the mic on them. does it not on the newer ones??? i assume its still hosed.

lmao are you making GBS threads me that's unbelievable

my SO has some APP and they've been rock solid for all their zoom meetings and lectures so it seems to work fine on those

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Agile Vector posted:

at least it's not lossy

wish this had an atmos mix

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Drastic Actions posted:

wish this had an atmos mix

not gonna upgrade till it does

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i bought my ponoplayer just for that track

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

TOOT BOOT posted:

Do tube amps actually sound different at all

more tubular

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Sagebrush posted:

yes.

though there is a consistent bug in illustrator where in GPU mode certain types of ui element (control points in a gradient mesh, linear guides, probably more) disappear when dragging. it's four years old

From several pages back, but maybe for somethings in illustrator but I believe in general vector rendering is still usually done on the CPU. Like, GPU accelerated SVG rendering or font rendering is still something people actively research.

In Apple land Core Animation is GPU accelerated but its basically things like zooming, stretching, scrolling, image filters, etc. Rendering a vector image with lines and curves with Core Graphics is still done on the CPU. Something about how you can achieve quality rendering and implement the Painter’s Algorithm but trying to translate that method to the GPU doesn’t work because it’s incredibly non-parallel.

Of course I am not an expert so I may have misunderstood when it was explained to me.

Also, I thought switching to Affinity would bring me peace, but it has its own problems. No cloud bullshit is great, but feature work feels like it’s stopped on Photo and Designer. You can find old feature request posts in the Affinity forums saying they will implement some equivalent to a feature in Illustrator “soon” and then you realize it’s from 2017 and it’s still not done. Also I’m pretty sure they don’t dog food their iPad apps. The interfaces are terrible.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Kazinsal posted:

my favourite thing about all these audiophiles is that they spend all this money on loving up their sound setups and they're just listening to babby's first jazz record or whatever

infernal machines posted:

this was recorded from a single microphone in the center of a concrete basement room, on a piece of magnetized wire, and transferred a dozen times through lossy media until now, where it will be faithfully reproduced on a sound system worth more than the median yearly income

it is especially funny with jazz because so much of the jazz experience is all the ways the song came out different tonight

well that and being packed in way past the fire safety limit and trying to sip the second of your three-drink-minimum watered down and yet insanely expensive cocktails without spilling it all over the lady you're precariously balanced behind/over, in the back of the room half behind a fake potted plant and on the direct path on the bathroom

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pulcinella posted:

From several pages back, but maybe for somethings in illustrator but I believe in general vector rendering is still usually done on the CPU. Like, GPU accelerated SVG rendering or font rendering is still something people actively research.

In Apple land Core Animation is GPU accelerated but its basically things like zooming, stretching, scrolling, image filters, etc. Rendering a vector image with lines and curves with Core Graphics is still done on the CPU. Something about how you can achieve quality rendering and implement the Painter’s Algorithm but trying to translate that method to the GPU doesn’t work because it’s incredibly non-parallel.

looking it up, apple started work on gpu-accelerated vector rasterization in the mid-2000s and the result shipped in tiger and is still present in macOS, but they've never dared to enable it in the field

it got a lot less important once core animation moved compositing of individual views within windows to hardware

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Kazinsal posted:

for guitar amplification though, perfectly replicating a fully analogue circuit would be some next level physics simulation poo poo. sound profiling is getting pretty close at simulating the tonal qualities of various amplifier circuits but if it were as easy as "just recreate the circuit with DSPs, bing bong so simple" then genuinely people would stop buying boutique amps. I've got a reasonable approximation of a Mark IV dialed in on my Boss Katana but it's still not quite right. it sounds *like* a boogie but it doesn't have all of the tonal qualities of a boogie.

is this a thing where, if we were starting from zero without cultural memories of the way tube amp tech influences guitar sound, it wouldn't matter and we'd just use other amp technologies instead?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

BobHoward posted:

is this a thing where, if we were starting from zero without cultural memories of the way tube amp tech influences guitar sound, it wouldn't matter and we'd just use other amp technologies instead?

that seems kinda like asking if we'd still be using the latin alphabet if rome had never conquered europe or something

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bulgakov posted:

mine work fine, i have 1st gen airpods

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

cinci zoo sniper posted:

mine work fine, i have 1st gen airpods

crap. I was worried i was touching them wrong!! ill poke around some more i guess.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bulgakov posted:

crap. I was worried i was touching them wrong!! ill poke around some more i guess.

this could be software dependent as well, some conferencing apps just do cursed poo poo sometimes. if you get tin can poo poo on facetime though then something would appear to be quite off to me

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i get tin can mode with the mic in zoom with 2 gen AirPods and a MacBook Pro

i stopped using the AirPods mic for zoom calls

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i don’t mind the interfaces even on the ipad tbh though i don’t use it as much as desktop. for my uses - which are strictly side hustle and some non-profit work level - i find illustrator and publisher pretty solid.

with all that said photo doesn’t feel sufficiently complete to me though (i mean i get that adobe has been building in this poo poo for literally decades, but). and nothing really beats acr if i have a day of shooting to go through

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Bluetooth tin can mode has to die, if my phone can handle gigabit wifi they can make AirPods that can handle cd quality at 1,411 kb/s

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Smythe posted:

i see i see thank you. i am thinking of buying a bluetooth audio interface and using that instead. a little box that pairs with my things and also has a cool gain knob on it and then that plugs into the compy. hmm wouldnt that be cool. and what if had xlr in and out. or 1/4". that would be so cool. i would like that. it would be so stylish.

couple pages back, but something similar happens in my car because of the lovely car radio when i’m playing something via bluetooth or usb. in my car, if a device pauses, the car sound system mutes itself. so some apps pause while maps tries to talk. this means my car mutes itself when maps is trying to give me a direction.

this doesn’t happen with the apple music app, though.

e: i totally quoted the wrong post but i’m not going back to figure out which one it was.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 19, 2021

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
the kraftwerk 3d catalogue is all in atmos hell yes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mediaphage posted:

i don’t mind the interfaces even on the ipad tbh though i don’t use it as much as desktop. for my uses - which are strictly side hustle and some non-profit work level - i find illustrator and publisher pretty solid.

with all that said photo doesn’t feel sufficiently complete to me though (i mean i get that adobe has been building in this poo poo for literally decades, but). and nothing really beats acr if i have a day of shooting to go through

i bought affinity photo just for raw processing and while everything feels a little off, it seems to do whatever i need it to. i assume my mild discomfort while using it is just not having 20 something years of experience with it, and having to look for things that aren't quite where i expect them to be.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
the discoverability for this stuff is garbage

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i bought affinity photo just for raw processing and while everything feels a little off, it seems to do whatever i need it to. i assume my mild discomfort while using it is just not having 20 something years of experience with it, and having to look for things that aren't quite where i expect them to be.

yeah same for me w affinity designer. everything works super well and I really like the split context thing but one in a while you hit some old muscle memory and nothing makes sense lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

yeah same for me w affinity designer. everything works super well and I really like the split context thing but one in a while you hit some old muscle memory and nothing makes sense lol

i assume it's something to do with getting old and loss of brain plasticity, because it's really bewildering when it happens

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i assume it's something to do with getting old and loss of brain plasticity, because it's really bewildering when it happens

i think it's just habit tbqh. i have tons of experience using photoshop but i didn't use illustrator very much, so for me designer is fine and makes more sense than illustrator, while photo feels backwards to me compared to photoshop.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm trying out affinity designer because my adobe hookup left and I am absolutely not paying full retail for this stuff for personal work, it's weird so far

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Kazinsal posted:

I've got a reasonable approximation of a Mark IV dialed in on my Boss Katana but it's still not quite right. it sounds *like* a boogie but it doesn't have all of the tonal qualities of a boogie.

with a fractal or boss gt-1000 you can fool anybody and also lot of touring bands are using fractals, kempers, and helix(maybe the quad cortex will change things). but the secret to using any modeler is to forget about trying to get a particular amp sound and get a sound you like without much bias.people fall into traps by trying out 30 IRs with all of the modeler preamps when you can just dial in a sound that fits you and don’t worry about it sounding like some established amp/speaker sound that’s been around for decades.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
you what's fun? going back and forth between visio and omnigraffle. you spend a few years getting used to all of visio's quirks and "why the gently caress haven't they fixed this in 20 years" crap, and then you get hit with omnigraffle's nice features and own way of doing things.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

BobHoward posted:

Well, the entirety of guitar music would be completely different, given that guitar distortion started when young/poor/black musicians that could only afford small amps started playing larger and larger venues as guitar-based pop started coming up in the late 40s and early 50s, so they just dimed that poo poo till the speaker cones ripped. it's an interesting butterfly wing to flap, but i can't even think about how things would be different today

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

BobHoward posted:

if it’s the particular harmonics of the distortion that matter, some things seem to be built in but a lot of it is cultural too.

like, a perfect fifth is a nice pleasing sound because of the way the harmonica interact. lots and lots of musical traditions use third, fourth, and fifth intervals, but not all of them.

some musical traditions focus on some other intervals tho, depending on the instruments used and how the music was developed.

like, if you hear quarter tones, those are notes between notes in a the western octave scale. it’s probably persian, arabic, turkish, or indian music. like:

https://youtu.be/YCVFkircZUg

so a lot of the stuff used to make music is very much cultural.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the one true harmonic is the 2:1 (the whole octave), that one seems common across almost all musical cultures. probably comes from the fact that many natural things which resonate at a particular frequency will also resonate to some extent at multiples of that frequency, so if you play a note and also the same note an octave higher then it sounds like you're just adding richer harmonics to the fundamental note.

it's what frequencies you choose to fill up the gaps between those that can differ quite a lot across cultures, but other "simple" ratios like 3:2 and 4:3 are relatively common too

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Perplx posted:

Bluetooth tin can mode has to die, if my phone can handle gigabit wifi they can make AirPods that can handle cd quality at 1,411 kb/s

bluetooth edr tops out at about 2.1 megabits real throughput, presumably in ideal conditions. for airpods i'd imagine apple sticks to bluetooth low energy which tops out at 1.37 Mbps instead (both numbers according to wiki pedia)

so in the real world, there's gonna be some kind of compression involved until such time as wifi radios start using as little power as BT

that said, apple needs to work on their bluetooth codec / data rate selection logic. it makes sense that turning on the mic hurts the opposite direction (bluetooth and wifi are both half duplex afaik), but i doubt that they need to go tin can level to make it work

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

BobHoward posted:

bluetooth edr tops out at about 2.1 megabits real throughput, presumably in ideal conditions. for airpods i'd imagine apple sticks to bluetooth low energy which tops out at 1.37 Mbps instead (both numbers according to wiki pedia)

so in the real world, there's gonna be some kind of compression involved until such time as wifi radios start using as little power as BT

that said, apple needs to work on their bluetooth codec / data rate selection logic. it makes sense that turning on the mic hurts the opposite direction (bluetooth and wifi are both half duplex afaik), but i doubt that they need to go tin can level to make it work

it's the latter part that is most frustrating, imo. i don't think anyone reasonable cares about cd quality audio for their spoken word bluetooth headset connection, just, you know, not sounding like you're underwater.

i understand that it's a different scenario for multiple reasons but i think people understandably get frustrated when it works fine with their phone and sounds like dogshit with their laptop

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

get some yoks out of the Carrot Weather app doing an unboxing of its Apple Design award

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9bVA94se1o

think they only won because they name drop timbo a few times in their forecasts

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Binary Badger posted:

get some yoks out of the Carrot Weather app doing an unboxing of its Apple Design award

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9bVA94se1o

think they only won because they name drop timbo a few times in their forecasts

carrot weather xD

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

is carrot the zany weather app that swears or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i think so yeah