Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

HopperUK posted:

Just depends what you want out of videogames, I suppose. There are some kinds of movie that too much story detracts from too. I love Sunless Skies but sometimes I just wanna play pure gameplay and that's fun also. My unpopular videogame opinion is that all videogames are valid, even the ones I don't like.

Except the one YOU like best, reader. That one's poo poo.

Sunless Skies is a game where story is important it's just that it's so slow. Had I been less lazy I would have modified it to go maybe 2-4x and enjoyed it more.

Oh they're valid. Just wrong. As I said before if you disagree with me you're wrong, and dumb.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Yo Hades actually has great dialog and a fantastic grip on how to dole out exposition. It is legit good at storytelling.

It's not like mass effect where you walk up to a dude and say hi and get like four paragraphs of alien history shoved up your nose

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Yo Hades actually has great dialog and a fantastic grip on how to dole out exposition. It is legit good at storytelling.

It's not like mass effect where you walk up to a dude and say hi and get like four paragraphs of alien history shoved up your nose

I'm not saying Hades has a bad story I'm saying I want to play video game and not read story because I like the video game. I don't think it meshes well together. Also Hades is guilty of putting story and actual tutorial in the same place. I get it, immersion but that makes it difficult to know when the skeleton is just prattling on and when he might actually be saying something of worth until after I've read what is being said.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 20, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The Hades exposition is tuned pretty weirdly if you progress too fast for the amount of extra dialogue you unlock.

You can only have one conversation with each NPC each time you return home to begin a new run, so if you go far enough to unlock multiple conversations in each new run you can end up building a BIG backlog of subjects, some of which should really be time-sensitive. Like I beat the final boss for the first time and came home and talk to somebody and they're like "So you met person X in level 3 huh... let me tell you them". And then a few runs later they'll have a conversation like "So you died to the final boss huh... don't worry you can do it next time!" I ALREADY BEAT HIM 5 RUNS AGO

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Story in video games is only bad when it takes itself too seriously. Good story, bad story, whatever it's fine. Story up it's own rear end? No thanks

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

In Alien: Isolation, you should be able to pick up the gun that gets dropped in that cutscene early on. Like wtf, there's a goddamn xenomorph running around eating people, but no I can't pick up the first tool for defending myself from it that the game shows me? gently caress outta here with that. I uninstalled after that immersion breaking bullshit. Like that's just bad design if you show something otherwise essential that can't be interacted with.

frogge fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 20, 2021

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

a pistol is no good for self defense against a xenomorph, anyway

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Sure, but we see even colonial marines drop a few with their guns before being overwhelmed in the movies. It'd be a matter of just blasting away until it drops, even if one shot doesn't do the trick. They're not unkillable just really really good at sneaking around killing dudes.

frogge fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 20, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

frogge posted:

Sure, but we see even colonial marines drop a few with their guns before being overwhelmed in the movies. It'd be a matter of just blasting away until it drops, even if one shot doesn't do the trick. They're not unkillable just really really good at sneaking around killing dudes.

They also have acid blood which is Not Great on a space station made of metal.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Did you cry again later when you learned that you could have saved Cid if you weren't so bad at video games?

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

QuarkJets posted:

Did you cry again later when you learned that you could have saved Cid if you weren't so bad at video games?

when im sad at video games I just go take a "Leap of Faith" off a 300ft cliff and it perks me right up! :)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DrPossum posted:

when im sad at video games I just go take a "Leap of Faith" off a 300ft cliff and it perks me right up! :)

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Hey supreme comedy fucksticks how can you tell/what can you do when videogames start playing you? Being composed of psychology parts, my brain can't handle that reality is in stunning 8k, but it's kinda ok plagiarized some of my lamest ideas, with plot holes that you can drive a Deathstar through. Or did I catch psychosis?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well first of all the human eye can only see 24FPS and anything more than that is imperceptible, so jot that down

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Masturbasturd posted:

Hey supreme comedy fucksticks how can you tell/what can you do when videogames start playing you? Being composed of psychology parts, my brain can't handle that reality is in stunning 8k, but it's kinda ok plagiarized some of my lamest ideas, with plot holes that you can drive a Deathstar through. Or did I catch psychosis?

I think I caught psychosis by reading this post

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I think you're not supposed to snort videogames

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Masturbasturd posted:

i've read this like 8 times and nope, i'm not getting anything from it

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Masturbasturd posted:

I read your post in this kids voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7RgN9ijwE4

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Vic posted:

I think you're not supposed to snort videogames

*looks up with circuit board dust hanging from my nose*

Oh, now you tell me.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I think I shed a tear at the end of 'Everybodys gone to the Rapture', and I'm fairly sure at some point during the 'Vanishing of Ethan Carter' but I don't remember exactly when. I think with walking simulator type things its easier to get caught up in it emotionally because you don't get the ol' ludonarrative dissonance so much.

The bit at the end of 'Oneshot' where that one thing happens brought me pretty low, but I think that was just more because I was super depressed at the time and it surprised me, somehow speaking to me on a very primal level that I wasn't expecting. Freedom through exiting, by breaking all the boundaries holding you down, sort of felt like what suicidal ideations are grasping at without actually being terminal. Just so much HOPE, it was absolutely overwhelming for the state I was in, and it obviously goes out of it's way to do a similar thing to Ori and make you fuckin' CARE about this lil' dude.

Likewise 'Gone Home' struck an insanely personal nerve that I doubt many other players experienced. (And is probably why I think so highly of it, from what I hear of others experience).

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Is everybody's gone to the rapture the one where you walk round a quaint English village? It was super boring

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Edith Finch is the best one of those games.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

BOBBY!!! :negative:

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Same as people who 'watch' TV and movies while mostly doing other stuff or just staring at their phones.

Some people just seem to be rigged that way. It's actually easier for them to pay attention to a story if there's something else there to distract them.
The only games I ever put on a podcast while playing are really boring sims like Euro Truck or Car Mechanic. Anything that forces you to pay attention and I go all out of whack.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
When I'm not doing story mission or job quests or lore side mission in XIV, I just put on a podcast and just listen to it while grinding my crafting/gathering jobs.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

i was a very tearful kid who would cry when frustrated, but i don't think i ever cried over a video game

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

joke answer: naw gently caress that i cried when samus was revealed to be a girl!!!!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Samus being a girl is something I did not learn until much later because the first good Metroid game was Prime.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Barudak posted:

Samus being a girl is something I did not learn until much later because the first good Metroid game was Prime.

drat sucks that you missed out on Super

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
I didn't cry because of it, but I did find myself emotionally effected by the plot of Hotline Miami, of all things.

Anyone putting this down to some combination of depression/me being a huge fuckup is probably correct.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Rascar Capac posted:

I didn't cry because of it, but I did find myself emotionally effected by the plot of Hotline Miami, of all things.

Anyone putting this down to some combination of depression/me being a huge fuckup is probably correct.

You gotta get your poo poo together dude.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I cry at games all the loving time because I'm just vulnerable to that poo poo no matter how cheesy and obviously it is being done. Especially when it's the music doing the lifting.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Barudak posted:

This is awful.

Just an awful post.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

This is awful.

Just an awful post.

I would have said Fusion but that came out one day later. Then they never made another good Metroid game

itry
Aug 23, 2019

What about Zero Mission?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Zero Mission was good, fight me

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
Zero Mission is good for what it is (Super Metroid Lite)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

itry posted:

What about Zero Mission?

Its ok. The main game is fine, the stealth section sucks, and then the post stealth section is almost great but somehow goes on for too long.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Most Metroid games go on too long for me anyways, but the final stretch is usually always great. Especially Super Metroid’s.

I also hated the freeze gun platforming in Super Metroid so maybe I just don’t like fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

fridge corn posted:

Honestly it's not that bad. Just completely forgettable inoffensive twee

it's a horribly overproduced version of the mouth music a 5 year old would make and it will be cemented in my brain until i die

sorry for dropping a hard A in the gamer thread guys, boy did i learn my lesson!!!