Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Marching Powder posted:

i don't mean this to sound like 'women don't like punch sports' or anything BUT is it just me or do more women than usual take an interest in sumo? when i started following sumo my girlfriend sat down with me unprompted and started getting into it. she usually only watches the last day in total but always makes me tell her when the upper maegashira / sanyaku fights are on (and enho, whenever he's fighting, for obvious reasons).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9ieFiAtj7A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Femme horny sumo content is exactly what I knew I always wanted.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

hahahaha amazing. handsome (only face) rises

Shiroc posted:

As a woman who doesn't like other punch sports, I do like how the violence is not the point of sumo. You're not trying to hurt the other person in the same way as something like boxing. Obviously people still get hurt badly but the majority of it is just pushing and grappling versus punching a guy as hard as you can as much as you can.

The culture around it, at least as presented to the US viewer, is also a lot less bro-y macho poo poo. There is ceremony, the wrestlers are to treat each other with respect, there are expectations of modesty and dignity. The scandals that come out of course involve how at least some of the wrestlers are still big macho idiots who treat people like poo poo but it feels strongly counterbalanced by guys who Takayasu who just seem like delights outside the dohyo.

thanks for your perspective.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
still watching the sumo thirst trap video

e: giving chiyomaru a solid 7 makes this lady my friend.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Just decided to get into Sumo today, looking forward to being incredibly confused for a while. Thanks for the informative OP! I'm going to put some matches on while I work and get into it.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
lol this sumotori hotness video is too much.

thanks for the new OP, kenning!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I hope everyone who's getting into the sport remembers that you're totally allowed to think it looks ridiculous and silly as hell. We all did. We still do.

I dare anyone who saw Akiseyama for the first time say with a straight face that they didn't lol at his "shopping bag full of loose cottage cheese" physique. I dare you!

I love Akiseyama, that glorious lumpy bastard!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The sheer variety of rikishi body types. Then you have the men who truly stand alone like Takakeisho, Kagayaki, AOIYAMA and Akiseyama.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 22, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Chiyomaru is the maruest of the chiyos

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Shiroc posted:

The culture around it, at least as presented to the US viewer, is also a lot less bro-y macho poo poo. There is ceremony, the wrestlers are to treat each other with respect, there are expectations of modesty and dignity.
And then a smirking Hakuho gives his downed opponent that extra little shove after the bout is called in his favor.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Were I a woman, I would only have eyes for AOIYAMA.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Shiroc posted:

The sheer variety of rikishi body types. Then you have the men who truly stand alone like Takakeisho, Kagayaki, AOIYAMA and Akiseyama.

I love that human hamster ball Takakeisho is either the 2nd or 3rd best rikishi in the world depending on whether you still count Hak as active.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Awesome OP, Kenning, thank you for that!

Looking forward to hefty pushmans doing their thing again soon :)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
New Thread, I went from calling my shot for Worst Fantasy Sumo Team, so this time I'm going for Best Fantasy Sumo Team.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Tokushoryu looks like a gyoza on witches hats.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Thanks for the new OP Kenning, would you mind adding a Link to the previous thread somewhere in it? Makes it easier to find when you wanna go back to find something funny or whatever.

Great job!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Brut posted:

Thanks for the new OP Kenning, would you mind adding a Link to the previous thread somewhere in it? Makes it easier to find when you wanna go back to find something funny or whatever.

Great job!

Thanks for reminding me to do this, I'd meant to add the link to the old thread but forgot to include it in my draft. Cheers!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Marching Powder posted:

still watching the sumo thirst trap video

e: giving chiyomaru a solid 7 makes this lady my friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP1sv8wfpWk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzd7lIzZ1eQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP_VYzhNF58

her energy is too much for us to ignore

scripterror
Sep 6, 2011

Nap Ghost

I'm dying

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

amazing, well done OP, great job Kenning.

I've only been once in person but even from the top of Fukuoka Kokusai Center (and after a couple beers) I could tell Hakuho was an absolute monster. Absolutely no wasted movement. I keep checking the thread and thinking "I need to remember and watch this basho" but keep getting distracted or forgetting. Gonna have to correct that for Hakuho's final go-round.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

If Abi gets 14 or more wins this Basho, he will be the first to do so:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'm gonna try and follow sumo again.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Shiroc posted:

Can't think of another sport that would have allowed these two guys in the same division:

vs

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

quote:

Can't think of another sport that would have allowed these two guys in the same division:

Early MMA was the loving wild west, if you wanna go down that youtube rabbit hole

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
I quite enjoy watching the youtube basho highlights even though my brain is at a point where I consume Too Much Sports and for me to actively know who anyone is or what the gently caress is going on means I have to sacrifice what I know about another sport

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Early MMA was the loving wild west, if you wanna go down that youtube rabbit hole
Haha, I almost put that in as a 'well, apart from...' disclaimer. My favorite line from the Jon Bois MMA documentary was describing the early tournaments as 'showcasing to the world what happens when a normal-looking guy gets hit really hard by a big strong guy'.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Apraxin posted:

vs

Two great examples worth looking up.

The skinny guy, Takanoyama basically pushed the limit of how far skill can take a guy. He was about 6’1, 215 but just couldn’t put on weight and got stuck at upper Juryo/low Makuuchi. Some pretty cool highlights though

https://youtu.be/p5nX1CDraPo

The fat guy, Orora, set the record for fattest dude in Sumo and was close to 300 kg at retirement. He has the opposite of highlights as he could barely get up onto the dohyo. He showed what the limit of being a giant with no skill was as he topped out at Makushita 43.

https://youtu.be/5Nm4NSApVyU

The good news is that since he’s retired, he seems to have gotten his weight in order and there were some nice social media posts in the last thread about his progress.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Orora, however, has the rare distinction of having a winning record vs. Hakuho, who he beat in their only matchup as Hakuho was working his way up through makushita.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Takanoyama! I miss Takanoyama. He pulled off the craziest throws. I'm not surprised that he had to retire considering how many of his wins relied on throwing his opponent as their weight bore down on him. Must have been hell on his knees and back.

Orora was so fat that his nose was invisible in profile.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Takanoyama's an instant favorite for me.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I know I've got a cheek saying this in the sumo thread but that can't be healthy.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Orora was definitely not healthy. There have been some interviews with him where it seemed like he was at a big stable where no one was really helping him manage the sumo lifestyle and body type, and he was just encouraged by other young wrestlers to eat a huge amount irrespective of the consequences. Him being a foreigner was probably also part of the issue, since he didn't fit in so well overall. It's really sad, because it seems like he wasn't really given a chance to do sumo as well as he could do, and he was unbelievably unfit by the end of his career (he used supplemental oxygen as a matter of course after walking around too much).

The good news is that he's in much better shape now and seems a lot happier. He has a very cute Instagram where he posts videos of him doing exercises and cooking healthy meals. He's still a big boy, but much more sustainably now. Seems like a real sweet dude.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

bessantj posted:

I know I've got a cheek saying this in the sumo thread but that can't be healthy.

Like Kenning said, dude was not in a good place when he was active.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/26/sumos-heaviest-ever-wrestler-urges-others-to-keep-eating-habits-in-check

quote:

Weighing an already hefty 190kg when he turned professional, Mikhakhanov saw his weight increase to 292.6kg shortly before he retired. In 2017, he became the heaviest professional rikishi ever at 288kg, beating the record previously held by the Hawaii-born Konishiki, who tipped the scales at 285kg.

Mikhakhanov would routinely polish off 200 pieces of sushi and a crate of beer, and found it impossible to refuse offers of extra bowls of rice from senior stablemates. As a result, he suffered from hypertension and struggled to fight off fatigue.

“I would lie down right after eating, which wasn’t good,” he told the newspaper. “Just walking or moving was really troublesome.”

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
sumo

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mods??!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Hell, same.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Kenning, you should add the hot rikishi video to the OP, preferably the top of it.

I'm gonna try to remember to draft my stable this time around, I've been a bit out of sumo recently but I wanna follow this next basho for Hakuho's farewell, who knows, maybe he spoils a Yokozuna run on his way out...or basically passes the torch to someone else.

(watch this be one of those M14 yushos)

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
'What should Hakuho's last basho be?' is hard to peg. It would be cool to see him go 15-0 again but if he does, he absolutely would decide he's good to keep going. Something mediocre like 10-5 would be disappointing. Passing the torch absolutely isn't him because he is a bully rear end in a top hat to challengers. Its gotta be something special.

Dias posted:

Kenning, you should add the hot rikishi video to the OP, preferably the top of it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kenning posted:

Orora was definitely not healthy. There have been some interviews with him where it seemed like he was at a big stable where no one was really helping him manage the sumo lifestyle and body type, and he was just encouraged by other young wrestlers to eat a huge amount irrespective of the consequences. Him being a foreigner was probably also part of the issue, since he didn't fit in so well overall. It's really sad, because it seems like he wasn't really given a chance to do sumo as well as he could do, and he was unbelievably unfit by the end of his career (he used supplemental oxygen as a matter of course after walking around too much).

The good news is that he's in much better shape now and seems a lot happier. He has a very cute Instagram where he posts videos of him doing exercises and cooking healthy meals. He's still a big boy, but much more sustainably now. Seems like a real sweet dude.

It's good to hear that he's getting his health back in check.

*rapturous applause*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Shiroc posted:

'What should Hakuho's last basho be?' is hard to peg. It would be cool to see him go 15-0 again but if he does, he absolutely would decide he's good to keep going. Something mediocre like 10-5 would be disappointing. Passing the torch absolutely isn't him because he is a bully rear end in a top hat to challengers. Its gotta be something special.

He gets to take part in the basho that happens during the Olympics, and likely gets to play a part in ceremonies leading up to the Games. I’m pretty sure that’s more important to him than what his record in Nagoya is going to be. I think Hakuho was worried that if he was no longer active, he wouldn’t be allowed to do those things.