Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Internet Explorer posted:

Chiv 2 is way too much fun for this thread to be so quiet. I wonder how badly the EGS exclusivity is hurting it.

Imagine having a friends list but not being able to actually message said friends list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
it has tons of full servers

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

DOes chiv2 have a way to self host a dedicated, as I seem to recall chiv having?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Statutory Ape posted:

DOes chiv2 have a way to self host a dedicated, as I seem to recall chiv having?

No, but it's in the "eventually" list of things on their roadmap

https://trello.com/b/7HnXYjSb/chivalry-2-roadmap-preview

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Clanpot Shake posted:

No, but it's in the "eventually" list of things on their roadmap

https://trello.com/b/7HnXYjSb/chivalry-2-roadmap-preview

Looking forwards to some low-gravity servers. Those were always a riot.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Nice moves there Shovelknight

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Dumb question, Chiv 2 doesn't have heavy overheads or heavy stabs, does it? Just heavy slashes? I know you've got the special that can sometimes be what seems like a heavy overhead or stab, but yeah.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Dumb question, Chiv 2 doesn't have heavy overheads or heavy stabs, does it? Just heavy slashes? I know you've got the special that can sometimes be what seems like a heavy overhead or stab, but yeah.

It does have heavy overheads and stabs. You do it by holding down m1 after initiating the attack.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

well I c why ur name isnt sword explorer

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

last night I was trying to figure out why some of my attacks are so delayed. Does, say, double-clicking m1 do something other than just attack? Like a fake feint or something that's slowing me down? I tend to get button-mashy fast when I'm stressed out, which is basically always :shobon:

(i'd check myself, but work :argh:)

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

Ciaphas posted:

last night I was trying to figure out why some of my attacks are so delayed. Does, say, double-clicking m1 do something other than just attack? Like a fake feint or something that's slowing me down? I tend to get button-mashy fast when I'm stressed out, which is basically always :shobon:

Button mashing can definitely cause you to feint a slash into an alternate slash

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Ciaphas posted:

Words pop up next to your reticle when you feint or counter. You're probably feinting, which does increase windup time. Might be a good idea to record some of your own gameplay to analyze how you're playing after the fact. It's super easy to punish button mashers in this game so try to slow down and focus on what your enemies are actually doing.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Ciaphas posted:

You could be doing so many different things if you're really mashing buttons, which sounds like you're kinda hitting things at random.

One thing off the top of my head is that V cancels swings by default and m2 will change a swing into a defensive counter

Not to mention if you're keying another attack you will probably be switching to that. Attacking with a slash then going to an overhand will add time because you're halting one action that's partially completed to start another action at 0%

E: wow, beaten like a button masher

F/e also non button mashers as I can attest to tbh

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Clanpot Shake posted:

It does have heavy overheads and stabs. You do it by holding down m1 after initiating the attack.

:eng99:

How have I been topping the scoreboards without knowing this?

Statutory Ape posted:

well I c why ur name isnt sword explorer

lol, what a great name

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

You're topping the score boards because most of the ppl playing this, especially me, are irredeemably horrible at the game

I find FFA to be far more relaxing than team modes. You ultimately take way less damage from the people around you, despite the fact they're all enemies

And situational awareness doesn't mean too much when mouth breathing allies decide to pop out of the woods to stand at your elbows while you swing an object that gives u a roughly 12 foot wing span

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

because stab hitboxes are screwy as hell if your in 3rd person

Edit: meant that it's tougher to use stabs in 3rd person has been my experience.

I've been playing a lot of 1h sword and I noticed every time i and someone with a 2h weapon charge at each other I can always get a hit if I just do a normal right to left horizontal slash at the right time. Even if my timing is good, it shouldn't work all the time since most people (like me) spam horizontal counterattack as a default option. then it occurred to me im probably hitting him in the back because 2h people take a bigger windup which means their characters twist to the right more for a right horizontal swing, etc.

This game is cool and has a lot of great detail. tl;dr: don't telegraph your attacks :)

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Aw, turns out the cudgel on Ambusher is a bit of a disappointment. I'd hoped its damage bonus against knights would make it situationally useful against them, but it's not really pulling its weight. Even with the full damage bonus it only hits for some fifty damage (both overheads and swings), which in principle isn't bad, but the short sword can also do the same with a thrust. And in return you give up a fair bit of range and multi-hit capability, so that just doesn't seem worth it. Still pretty fun to bully overly confident knights with, but short sword still reigns supreme.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Statutory Ape posted:

You could be doing so many different things if you're really mashing buttons, which sounds like you're kinda hitting things at random.

One thing off the top of my head is that V cancels swings by default and m2 will change a swing into a defensive counter

Not to mention if you're keying another attack you will probably be switching to that. Attacking with a slash then going to an overhand will add time because you're halting one action that's partially completed to start another action at 0%

E: wow, beaten like a button masher

F/e also non button mashers as I can attest to tbh

Not entirely at random, I do usually pick my attacks (well, at least to start with). And I did know about feinting; I just didn't know you could slash and feint into the other slash, for example, I thought it had to be an overhead or stab in that case.

Also I have a thing where I'll often double-click or double-tap a button because I'm not sure it registered and don't want to stand there doing nothing like a dipswitch if the first tap didn't take. Anxiety thing I think :v: Most games not a big deal, getting me killed like buggery here. I'll work on it

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 22, 2021

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Perestroika posted:

Aw, turns out the cudgel on Ambusher is a bit of a disappointment. I'd hoped its damage bonus against knights would make it situationally useful against them, but it's not really pulling its weight. Even with the full damage bonus it only hits for some fifty damage (both overheads and swings), which in principle isn't bad, but the short sword can also do the same with a thrust. And in return you give up a fair bit of range and multi-hit capability, so that just doesn't seem worth it. Still pretty fun to bully overly confident knights with, but short sword still reigns supreme.

yeah cudgel i think is the weakest base damage weapon in the game, also maybe the fastest. which makes it perfect as a secondary for archers to stunlock and delay attackers until your team can bail you out

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
I've been absolutely whooping rear end with the Knight's mace. Not sure why it's relegated to an alternate weapon slot. It's super fast and the overheads can clock 90 damage. I straight up exploded an archer's head yesterday

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

beer gas canister posted:

I've been absolutely whooping rear end with the Knight's mace. Not sure why it's relegated to an alternate weapon slot. It's super fast and the overheads can clock 90 damage. I straight up exploded an archer's head yesterday

Mace knights are up there with spear knights as far as annoyingness sometimes.

I'm trying to figure out what weapon I like the most as crusader and it's not easy. I'm feeling like I'm better with either of the 2h axes than the messer, which is kinda unfortunate.

I like the falchion the most though, even more than the big weapons it feels like. Probably shouldn't play as crusader in that case since starting with a shield is probably better than not.

I guess the reality is I am not good enough at either attack or defending myself to know what will work yet

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Anyone know what section on the weapon stats that say Cut or Chop are supposed to convey? Some of them seem to have bonus % damage vs another class (or at least I think it is). But some of them don't say anything and just say Cut or Chop. Which doesn't make much sense to me, I'm pretty sure I'm cutting and chopping with almost every weapon.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
I love playing archer, I just wish they got a dagger instead of a knife in their loadout.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Anyone know what section on the weapon stats that say Cut or Chop are supposed to convey? Some of them seem to have bonus % damage vs another class (or at least I think it is). But some of them don't say anything and just say Cut or Chop. Which doesn't make much sense to me, I'm pretty sure I'm cutting and chopping with almost every weapon.

Basically there seem to be three damage types:

Cut: Does the same damage against every target. Pretty much all swords and knives.
Chop: Has a medium damage bonus against the heavier classes: +25% against Knights, +17.5% against Footmen. These are mostly axes
Blunt: Has a major damage bonus against the heavier classes: +50% against Knights, +35% against Footmen. These are your maces, hammers, and clubs.

As a rule of thumb, cut weapons tend to have the high base damage, but without the bonus they still take a while to kill knights. Blunt weapons tend to have somewhat lower base damage, making them less deadly against archers or vanguards, but the damage bonus means they kill footmen and knights faster than usual. Finally, chop weapons tend to be somewhere inbetween, often having very solid damage potential across the board, in exchange for being a bit slower or shorter.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Perestroika posted:

As a rule of thumb, cut weapons tend to have the high base damage, but without the bonus they still take a while to kill knights. Blunt weapons tend to have somewhat lower base damage, making them less deadly against archers or vanguards, but the damage bonus means they kill footmen and knights faster than usual. Finally, chop weapons tend to be somewhere inbetween, often having very solid damage potential across the board, in exchange for being a bit slower or shorter.

The big exception to this is the warhammer which has extremely high base damage and the blunt bonus so it's comically powerful but slow and has short range. A heavy swing with the warhammer will do like 97 damage to Knights, and the special attack I believe does the same amount of damage as the special attack from the maul and two-handed hammer, 120. Not quite the polehammer's hilarious 150 but still extremely high.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I am not good at this game by any stretch of the imagination, but violence is so fun. Slashing people to pieces with the war axe is blissful.

On that note, I am bad because I mostly behave like a total noob (can't play much and I still need to get timings, footwork etc down - I also never seem to understand which one of the 4 greatswords flying at my noggin will hit first) waving my big axe around but I can hold my own in 1 vs 1, so I really like when I spot some tryhard doing dodges and moves coming at me expecting an easy kill and engage him in a full minute long duel. I usually end up losing anyway, but you can see they're pissed off you're slowing them down :v:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 22, 2021

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Jimbot posted:

I will say that if a crossbow user manages to get the top slot then I salute those people

A crossbow should be considered a death mop. If you hang back and just shoot it at head level into a group of wounded enemies (ie: groups of people who are swarming teammates) you're liable to rack up kills.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Perestroika posted:

Cut: Does the same damage against every target. Pretty much all swords and knives.
Chop: Has a medium damage bonus against the heavier classes: +25% against Knights, +17.5% against Footmen. These are mostly axes
Blunt: Has a major damage bonus against the heavier classes: +50% against Knights, +35% against Footmen. These are your maces, hammers, and clubs.

Ah good to know. Does this mean Vanguard's are considered unarmored? They look almost as suited as Knights but they don't have the blunt/chop damage bonuses against them

Orv
May 4, 2011

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Ah good to know. Does this mean Vanguard's are considered unarmored? They look almost as suited as Knights but they don't have the blunt/chop damage bonuses against them

AFAIK you just never get damage bonuses against Vanguards because ???

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I guess because their health is lower than the others.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Vanguard is like a glass cannon, Knight and Footman can both take more hits and have shield subclasses

edit: At least that is the intended balance I mean

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The Vanguard is wearing considerably less armor and less advanced armor than both the Knight and Footman, fwiw. The heaviest version is the Champion Crusader armor on both teams and that's basically armor that's like 400 years out of date compared to the other two.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Hub Cat posted:

Vanguard is like a glass cannon, Knight and Footman can both take more hits and have shield subclasses

edit: At least that is the intended balance I mean
Except when Vanguards are beefy boys because "Improved special damage" means hitting them over the head with a morning star special is something like 65 damage.

I'm glad the unique to knight warhammer is good, it is even pretty decent against Vanguards for a blunt weapon. But oh man I keep wildly spiraling between thinking the Morning Star is cool and "Is this actually kind of terrible?" Probably not helped because I keep forgetting the big spikey ball has bad thrust damage even against a knight "because blunt".

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 22, 2021

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Section Z posted:

I'm glad the unique to knight warhammer is good, it is even pretty decent against Vanguards for a blunt weapon. But oh man I keep wildly spiraling between thinking the Morning Star is cool and "Is this actually kind of terrible?"

Same here, I seem to go on killing sprees pretty often with those two weapons (also the Vanguard's War Club) but then I'll have moments when I'm just getting clowned over and over again. I think they're best if you're picking your battles and staying out of group fights except to bash people on the back of the head and duck away.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Well, got the skirmisher unlocked and that's that for playing archer ever again I think

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

Perestroika posted:

You forgot the last type of damage....

Shovel: Not sure the stats, just generally fucks up everyone and everything. Weapon of the Gods.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
is there a reason to use the poleax when the heavy mace exists?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ben Quebec posted:

is there a reason to use the poleax when the heavy mace exists?

Poleax can hit several people in one swing, and has a rather good thrust. Both of which are pretty useful in larger group fights.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
I do enjoy the weapons that only bonk off the first victim during situations that I get to reenact when Luke goes ham on Vader and cuts Vader’s hand off in Jedi.

Heavy bonk bonk bonk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Morning Star and shield is pretty fun, had some great runs and you seem to really be able to drag/swingaround/accel well with the spiky end.