Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
and rest assured that alabama will be avenged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

I didn't see it mentioned in the last several pages, but what was that Franklin D. Roosevelt pen thing a reference to?

It was "Franklin D. Roosevelt High School" specifically, I think? I know when I saw it I paused and looked it up because I thought that might have been, like... Peter Parker's high school?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_Delano_Roosevelt_High_School_(Hyde_Park,_New_York)

It's Joe Quinones's real life high school. Proooobably just a reference to that?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Marsupial Ape posted:

Code 1: don’t live in a hurricane zone.
Code 2: Refer to Code 1.

Unfortunately this is the MCU, so those poor people couldn’t sell their houses to Aquaman.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

nerdbot posted:

It was "Franklin D. Roosevelt High School" specifically, I think? I know when I saw it I paused and looked it up because I thought that might have been, like... Peter Parker's high school?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_Delano_Roosevelt_High_School_(Hyde_Park,_New_York)

It's Joe Quinones's real life high school. Proooobably just a reference to that?
It is basically guaranteed that the pen is a setup for something coming later and that all we know about it right now is that 1) it is a pen, and 2) it is freighted with special significance the import of which is obscure at this point in the narrative, so just chill the gently caress out rather than trying to go all Sherlock Holmes on it before you have the necessary information to make sense of the pen.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

When you turn the pen upside-down a sexy pinup of Mephisto appears.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Just call up Old Man Ant Man and have him shrink everyone down and put them in a small box and put it in the basement for the duration

simple

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

mind the walrus posted:

I think that one was called "The Ugly Truth"

It was called Geostorm. They filmed that turd at my workplace.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

BrianWilly posted:

I know no one remembers Thor 1 but we saw Thor create a tornado in Thor 1 to destroy the Destroyer.

Can he put one out? I dunno. Surely he can make another one spinning in the other direction to cancel it out. v:v:v

It's true. I don't remember Thor 1 at all. Saw it once in the theaters and fell asleep a quarter way in. Saw it again on streaming and still remember nothing. I didn't see Ragnarok for like a year because it was going to be yet another boring Thor movie to me.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Dragonstoned posted:

Calling Thor up on the space telephone...

"Hey Thor could you drop everything you're doing right now to come fix the weather in Alabama?"

The biggest problem is that Thor is the god of thunder. He brings storms, lightning and thunder. He doesn't actively stop them except for the storms he brings. Thor does "weather/storm" summoning not weather control. If Thor showed up he'd just make the storm even worse, maybe causing it to get big and strong enough to destroy Alabama and Mississippi.

Wait, why was that a bad idea again?

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Unfortunately this is the MCU, so those poor people couldn’t sell their houses to Aquaman.

They reach out to Namor and it ends about how you'd expect.

EAT poo poo LAND DWELLERS. IMPERIUS REX!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

TychoCelchuuu posted:

It is basically guaranteed that the pen is a setup for something coming later and that all we know about it right now is that 1) it is a pen, and 2) it is freighted with special significance the import of which is obscure at this point in the narrative, so just chill the gently caress out rather than trying to go all Sherlock Holmes on it before you have the necessary information to make sense of the pen.
So it’s Mephisto’s pen?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

this universe literally just had two 3-hour movies about how one big blue imbecile with a single idee fixe could change the entire universe with a snap of his fingers

More to the point, though, it's Earth, it's the year 2050, there's a disaster going on that would be the perfect sort of thing that heroes would step in to try to save at least some people, but it is -- in the TVA's estimation -- a total loss even beyond Ragnarok. Are there no heroes whatsoever in that era?

It's not in New York, and if it's not in New York then heroes don't know or care about it.

Everyone posted:

As for Ant-Man there were actual two OCs in that movie. One was Hope van Dyne but the other one was Darren Cross as Yellowjacket. Originally in the comics if I recall correctly. Yellowjacket was actually an evil alternate personality of Hank Pym. And not the usual "take-over-tri-state-area" evil. Spouse abuse evil. There was some deeply hosed-up poo poo in the relationship of the comic versions of Hank Pym and Jane van Dyne. And honestly, I'm kind of glad we gave all that a miss. Plus, the movie did go a little out of its way to show that Hope was completely competent and the only reason she wasn't in the suit (in her own movie called The Wasp) was due to Hank's over-protective PTSD over the loss of Janet.

There is some additional context for that whole scenario, in that Hank was in the midst of a schizophrenic breakdown at the time and the Yellowjacket persona was a part of that rather than something imposed by an outside force. Almost every mainline hero in comics has physically assaulted their partners in the comics, including Reed Richards and Peter Parker as two of the more prominent examples, but the incident was given more weight in Hank's case, so people pay more attention to it. It was given more weight in that it was treated as domestic abuse even in the original story from what I know, despite Hank being mentally unbalanced, since other characters acted like it was a bad thing (rather than shrugging it off as happened more frequently in decades prior) and the character spent years afterwards trying to make up for it in various ways. As in, making efforts to understand himself, to improve his mental health, to treat others better etc.

The fact it happened in the mid to late 80s instead of the 60s or 70s and that Hank just isn't that well known compared to other characters probably helps too, since attitudes towards domestic abuse were changing by then and it makes that one thing stick out more if it's all you know about a character rather than just one thing you'd prefer to ignore about a character you like. After 60+ years of comics stories once a month, most characters have some bad poo poo people want to forget, and it usually involves all the other surrounding characters going along with it too.

twistedmentat posted:

I was thinking about the charges, I don't think they destroy everything, i think its more about removing what shouldn't be there before the change that has been made spreads. If I go to Burger King rather than the Popeye's i was meant to go for lunch, its not going to effect anything outside of my immediate surroundings, but that would probably have a cascade effect that means that, i dunno, means Tony's extra arc reactor is slightly too far for his robot arm to reach before he dies. That's what they mean by pruning the timelines before they can red line, before the change can spread and effect more serious things, as the change is not instant. Well from what we see, Lady Loki's plan probably involved going back and zapping people from history or something super serious. So the idea the entire universe springs into existence only to be snuffed out by the Minutemen is incorrect. Why when you see the charges go off they don't destroy the tent or grass at the Ren Fair, but it does remove the TVA gear left behind.

Wait. if the charges only destroy the things that don't belong in a timeline rather than everything then wouldn't that mean that there isn't one "sacred" timeline, but an infinite number of identical timelines where every deviation from the norm is wiped out? Actually, something I wonder if other people can clear up for me: if there is only one sacred timeline, and a redline is reached within minutes of a timeline's existence before it has to be wiped out or it becomes permanent, then how are there Loki's that are basically unrecognizable to our Loki, like female Loki, sportsman Loki or Sasquatch Loki? Those timelines must have existed for thousands of years at a bare minimum to result in changes that different from the established base, but that would imply a proper multiverse, rather than ones that just get wiped out within minutes of deviation.

BrianWilly posted:

I know no one remembers Thor 1 but we saw Thor create a tornado in Thor 1 to destroy the Destroyer.

Can he put one out? I dunno. Surely he can make another one spinning in the other direction to cancel it out. v:v:v

Mjolnir itself, or maybe even Odin, seems to be what summons the storm in that scene, while Thor just takes some advantage of it to lift the Destroyer. The hammer flies up into a clear sky as Thor is passed out and presumably dying as a human, then when Thor reaches out for it there's a thunderstorm above and lightning smashes down from it as Thor grasps Mjolnir. If anything, it kind of acts as foreshadowing for the idea Ragnarok goes with that Mjolnir was just a tool for channeling Thor's power, and the storm was a product of the powers returning to Thor. The scene does imply that Thor spinning Mjolnir increased the speed/strength of the storm so that it would lift the Destroyer though, which would imply control. The storm also dissipated as soon as the Destroyer was...destroyed, which implies Thor has some control over it too.

I do wonder how strong the lightning Thor can summon is. He talks about summoning the biggest bolt he can in Ragnarok and it barely phasing Hela, but it's a pretty small strike all told, and I swear I remember seeing a short sequence from a comic years ago of Thor facing off against Thanos in the comics where a narrator talks about Thor summoning lightning strong enough to destroy planets or something. Anytime I've tried searching for it since though all I get is MCU stuff, or more recent comics panels of the two facing off, so I wonder if maybe the films will pump up the strength over time as Thor/Odinson goes on galactic adventures where more destructive powers would be necessary to defeat cosmic beings etc.

The_Doctor posted:

It occurs to me that the salad is the MCU, the salt and pepper are the Disney plus shows, and the milk is the next movie. It doesn't really matter what the D+ shows do, the status quo of the movies is always going to be the same as how the last movie left off. Endgame finished with Sam getting the shield, and the next film featuring him will have him with the shield and being Cap. FATWS just moved the pieces around a little bit, and then basically put them all back again.

WandaVision doesn't really fit that pattern, since last we saw of Vision in Endgame the character was dead and after the finale of WandaVision he's very much alive with a different design (well, color palette; but it's a really big change and not something likely to just be ignored it's so prominent) and possibly a different personality. Wanda herself isn't really the same either, since she's now the Scarlet Witch proper, is possibly evil and has a much wider powerset. It's possible that Multiverse of Madness could explain any changes with Wanda quite quickly, but it'd require a bit more work to do so with Vision at the very least.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 21, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Did they actually say in the episode that 10 > 7? I assumed the apocalyptic scale headed towards 1 like defcon. Thus a town getting destroyed was lesser than a planet being destroyed. As opposed to a class 1 apocalypse being the salad bar at pizza hut exploding.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Azhais posted:

Did they actually say in the episode that 10 > 7? I assumed the apocalyptic scale headed towards 1 like defcon. Thus a town getting destroyed was lesser than a planet being destroyed. As opposed to a class 1 apocalypse being the salad bar at pizza hut exploding.

I'm pretty sure they said it was all about how many people survived, so how that moment could affect a time line.

The moments before a pizza hut explodes is a class 1 apocalypse as noone there survives it, so anything you do has 0 effect on the timeline. You can go in, tell everyone present the winning lottery numbers and zip back out again, no harm.

Assuming no recording devices, and noone has time to text out, etc.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Everyone posted:

Probably. It's not like we ever got anything like an Asgard street setting ala New York. In the opening scenes for Thor 2 it seemed like it was Thor, Sif and a few buddies knocking heads on that world instead of Asgard fielding some kind of super-army. When we see Asgard realm from Thor and Loki's ship with Surtur destroying, the whole place looks... small than Rhode Island. There the city made of goofy golden contraptions, the surrounding wilderness and... that's it. By the time of Endgame when we reconnect with Thor Lebowski, Asgard's population is a smallish Norwegiant fishing village. Maybe 500 folks, 1000 or so at the outside.

In Thor 1 is looks like there are a lot of people in Asgard during the establishing shots and the scenes inside the palace, then Thor 2 also shows a lot of people in the city. Endgame shows a whole ton of Asgardian soldiers as well, which always confused me because it seemed like Hela had killed their entire army when she took over. I can understand "civilization totally destroyed" because the loss of Asgard itself would utterly change the Asgardian civilization.

Zebulon posted:

Isn't there already talk of adding on a cat 6 classification?

Given his track record do we really want Tony Stark trying to Ted Faro up some solutions to climate change?

I got that reference. Plus it was Elizabeth Sobek that actually solved the climate crisis.

tsob posted:

Wait. if the charges only destroy the things that don't belong in a timeline rather than everything then wouldn't that mean that there isn't one "sacred" timeline, but an infinite number of identical timelines where every deviation from the norm is wiped out? Actually, something I wonder if other people can clear up for me: if there is only one sacred timeline, and a redline is reached within minutes of a timeline's existence before it has to be wiped out or it becomes permanent, then how are there Loki's that are basically unrecognizable to our Loki, like female Loki, sportsman Loki or Sasquatch Loki? Those timelines must have existed for thousands of years at a bare minimum to result in changes that different from the established base, but that would imply a proper multiverse, rather than ones that just get wiped out within minutes of deviation.

I don't even think they truly destroy the items either, they "reset" it, that is returning it to a state that existed for them before the deviation. We saw Loki get zapped by a stick and he returned to the multimedia room, probably something like that. So there is one timeline. That doesn't mean that there isn't alternative realities, all sharing the same timeline. Though its all extremely confusing. They are different realites that probably operate as things are more primative, everyone's sex is reversed, everyone has beards etc. I dunno, there's not really enough info yet to fully theorize on what exactly is going on.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Ror posted:

When you turn the pen upside-down a sexy pinup of Mephisto appears.

The Pen

The Pen is

The Pen is Mightier

The Pen is Mephisto

:aaaaa:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Everyone posted:

As for Ant-Man there were actual two OCs in that movie. One was Hope van Dyne but the other one was Darren Cross as Yellowjacket. Originally in the comics if I recall correctly. Yellowjacket was actually an evil alternate personality of Hank Pym. And not the usual "take-over-tri-state-area" evil. Spouse abuse evil. There was some deeply hosed-up poo poo in the relationship of the comic versions of Hank Pym and Jane van Dyne.

Pym used to change his hero name like other people changed their shirts. He was Yellowjacket when he slapped Janet. Which happened one time, it was retconned later that Yellowjacket was a bit evil, and it's turned into a meme ever since that Hank Pym beats his wife even though Reed Richards spent half the 60s belittling and occasionally laying hands on Sue Storm.

I should note also that Hank and Janet's daughter Hope is not strictly speaking an OC to the MCU. She doesn't appear in the 616 or Ultimate Universes, and she doesn't use her mother's name, but Hope Pym has been in the MC2 Universe since its inception in 1998 where she's the supervillain Red Queen. I wouldn't be overly shocked if the Red Queen shows up in Quantumania.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Jedit posted:

I should note also that Hank and Janet's daughter Hope is not strictly speaking an OC to the MCU. She doesn't appear in the 616 or Ultimate Universes, and she doesn't use her mother's name, but Hope Pym has been in the MC2 Universe since its inception in 1998 where she's the supervillain Red Queen. I wouldn't be overly shocked if the Red Queen shows up in Quantumania.

Nadia van Dyne is supposed to be the 616 Hope. Nadia is the Slavic equivalent of Hope. Granted she came after the movie version, but she did take her step mothers name.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

New shots of Ms. Marvel
https://twitter.com/podgeeks1/status/1405692838583672834

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
First "Official Image" of Lady Loki refers to her as "Lady Loki" on the website.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

First "Official Image" of Lady Loki refers to her as "Lady Loki" on the website.

What website? I didn't see anything on disneyplus.com.

Also maybe I'm just illiterate but that official image definitely just says Loki, not Lady Loki.

Edit: OK it's https://www.marvel.com/articles/tv-shows/character-poster-loki-variant

Still doesn't use the full name "Lady Loki" even though she is.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 22, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

pik_d posted:

What website? I didn't see anything on disneyplus.com.

Also maybe I'm just illiterate but that official image definitely just says Loki, not Lady Loki.

Edit: OK it's https://www.marvel.com/articles/tv-shows/character-poster-loki-variant

Still doesn't use the full name "Lady Loki" even though she is.

Sorry, I meant referring to her as "Loki" and not the "Sylvie" that people were speculating about based on the Catalan credits from the episode last week.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

I doubt those are actually new, since very similar shots were posted weeks ago (possibly even identical; I haven't checked) and the show has also finished filming with weeks.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Sorry, I meant referring to her as "Loki" and not the "Sylvie" that people were speculating about based on the Catalan credits from the episode last week.

She introduced herself as Randy, I don't see what the confusion is??

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

For real though her name is Sylvie according to the TVA

pik_d fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 22, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

pik_d posted:

For real though her name is Sylvie according to the TVA

I don't know who to trust anymore.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

They're calling her Lady Loki or Variant Loki in marketing because the show hasn't revealed her origins yet. The credits thing was a slip and the paper is an easter egg for keen-eyed viewers, but any other name the character uses certainly isn't going to be revealed in a jpeg on the Marvel website. It's the same thing as The Child / Grogu.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Lady Grogu.

That's gonna be the revelation.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Desperado Bones posted:

Lady Grogu.

That's gonna be the revelation.

Missphisto

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

pik_d posted:

Missphisto

Kitty Fisto

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I know they won't (and the actors probably wouldn't be up for it) but it would be pretty fun if Loki ran into the Edward Norton or Terrence Howard versions of their characters as rogue Variants.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Robot Style posted:

I know they won't (and the actors probably wouldn't be up for it) but it would be pretty fun if Loki ran into the Edward Norton or Terrence Howard versions of their characters as rogue Variants.

If I was an actor my agent would constantly have to stop me doing stupid cameo poo poo like this.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The Rhody variant comes from a universe where 1x1=2

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The Rhody variant comes from a universe where 1x1=2

There is only one infinity stone in that universe and it is the Time Cube.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Robot Style posted:

A Mobius Variant played by Owen Wilson.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'm pondering where this is all going to go for season 2.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

If I was an actor my agent would constantly have to stop me doing stupid cameo poo poo like this.

Yeah I know it's a business to most but I love when an actor just embraces the role and plays it everywhere and anywhere

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

BTTF2 rules where it's the exact same plot but you're not affecting it from the outside as yet another variant loki (kid loki this time) is now trying to gently caress all that loki unfucked.

each season keeps adding a layer to the same story until it's revealed that every single person in the show is a Loki being played by Loki as they deal with Loki betraying Loki.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Presumably it's just going to be the further adventures of Loki. The TVA isn't the appeal here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

live with fruit posted:

Presumably it's just going to be the further adventures of Loki. The TVA isn't the appeal here.

Speak for yourself.