Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP3F1GH-a80

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy summer! Here's Nick Fury and Tony Stark getting loose.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
John Romita JR has never seen a naked man in his entire life.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I've started getting into TMNT and this is my favorite character so far.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

This is a really nice detail in Flash Annual 1 (I think... it's the one where Wally's back, by Williamson).

Radu's was the café below Kyle Rainer's apartment in his first series, in the 90´s. And that logo? It was designed by Kyle himself.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gripweed posted:

I've started getting into TMNT and this is my favorite character so far.

Mikey is indeed the best character in the book.

I'd go so far as to say that IDW Mikey is the best character in the history of the entire franchise.

X-O fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 21, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

X-O posted:

I'd go so far as to say that IDW Mikey is the best character in the history of the entire franchise.

No I meant the grumpy bat who appears in that one panel and nowhere else. She's the best.

I still can't quite tell the turtles apart by name. I know Raph is the unpleasant one.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Gripweed posted:

I still can't quite tell the turtles apart by name. I know Raph is the unpleasant one.

Leonardo leads
Donatello does machines
Raphael is cool but rude
Michelangelo is a party dude

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Uthor posted:

Leonardo leads
Donatello does machines
Raphael is cool but rude
Michelangelo is the most level headed of all and rightfully calls everyone out on their bullshit when needed

Not quite as catchy but accurate.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

X-O posted:

Not quite as catchy but accurate.

And the calling out on peoples bullshit is not just his brothers but his father as well. He tells off splinter multiple times.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

X-O posted:

I was going to make the same joke.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Happy summer! Here's Nick Fury and Tony Stark getting loose.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Someone linked to those old American Express commercials that Seinfeld did with a cartoon Superman(cause Seinfeld is a huge Superman fan) and honestly I'm really digging their take on Superman there as portrayed by Patrick Warburton, like most of the time Superman is the straight man, here him being a bit of a goofball is rather refreshing

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bobkatt013 posted:

And the calling out on peoples bullshit is not just his brothers but his father as well. He tells off splinter multiple times.

It's an interesting and good evolution of Mikey as the brothers' conscience when usually it's just "aw, let's all chill out, guys!" and the others would nod.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
All of the TMNT in the IDW continuity have sort of logical extensions and deepenings of their archetypical portrayal like that. Raph being the outside meaning he relates to the outsiders and outcasts like Casey and Angel and epecially Alopex. Leo being the eldest and having the deepest connection to their past life meaning he feels the weight of responsibility and living up to expectations. Donnie's scientific side meaning he's a perfectionist who keeps trying to 'fix' and 'solve' things. Hell, I'm a bit behind but what I've seen you've even got Jen and her growing up on the streets and making lovely choices making her kind of the big sister who wants to stop the younger kids making the same mistakes she did.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Kinda want a Heckblazer shirt

https://twitter.com/dumplstiltskin/status/1409667086733832194?s=20

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I was gonna get the collections on comixology, but it's still running 25 bucks per collection, do I'm just going to start buying the hardcovers instead. First three TMNT are on their way, thanks thread.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Soonmot posted:

I was gonna get the collections on comixology, but it's still running 25 bucks per collection, do I'm just going to start buying the hardcovers instead. First three TMNT are on their way, thanks thread.

Good decision. The IDW Complete Collection hardcovers are my favorite hardcovers that any company puts out.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Soonmot posted:

FWIW, they semi-regularly go on sale for $1/issue on comiXology.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They're also just about to have gotten around to putting all the turtles on the covers of the HCs :v:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Curious: in what order did they get their covers?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uthor posted:

Curious: in what order did they get their covers?

Raph - Vol.1
Leo - Vol. 3
Don - Vol.4
Mikey - Vol. 7

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Lol, eat it, Mikey, I guess.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Slash was vol 9 and Jen is 13, which was the joke.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

This is really weird. I'm reading a collection of 2000AD Future Shocks. Alan Moore has one that is just the ending of the Stephen King short story "Maximum Overdrive". Now I'm wondering who was first...

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

King. Moore started writing for 2000AD in like '79 or '80 and Trucks was already five years old when it was in Night Shift in 1978

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Random Stranger posted:

This is really weird. I'm reading a collection of 2000AD Future Shocks. Alan Moore has one that is just the ending of the Stephen King short story "Maximum Overdrive". Now I'm wondering who was first...

Those are really fun. I got my wife the entire 2 volume compilation of them, not just the Moore ones, but Moore's definitely were the cream of the crop from where I've browsed.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

Those are really fun. I got my wife the entire 2 volume compilation of them, not just the Moore ones, but Moore's definitely were the cream of the crop from where I've browsed.

That's where I was reading them from, and yeah, Moore is better than most of the writers in those. Though I also like the series about the punch-clock space explorer who just wants to get his job done and get paid.

Karma Tornado posted:

King. Moore started writing for 2000AD in like '79 or '80 and Trucks was already five years old when it was in Night Shift in 1978

Thanks. The book doesn't date things and I was thinking Night Shift was early 80's so things were completely muddled for me.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I read the Harley Quinn prequel comic, Harleen. It's the first of DC's new Black Label series I'd read and it was interesting to see the limits they put on their "mature" imprint. Like, characters say gently caress, but it's only printed when it's like, "I hosed up!". When characters use it to mean sex, then it still gets the classic comic book censoring. So the word itself is fine, but the sexual connotation of the word isn't.

I liked how it presented Harley and Ivy's early relationship. Especially since the back of the book said that they're gonna get together in Harleen 2. They don't really have a relationship. They get along, and maybe Ivy saw a little something there but Harleen definitely didn't. That feels realistic, that pre-Joker Harley Quinn wouldn't be in a place in her life where the plant lady would be a potential romantic partner. And it also sets up their future relationship better that Ivy might have been attracted to Harleen but didn't try to vampishly seduce her or anything.

But my main criticism is that for a romance comic about Harley Quinn and the Joker written by the Sunstone guy, it wasn't anywhere near horny enough. But that might be another limit DC set, the comic could only be a little horny. And since it was an explicit romance story, maybe the horniness limit was lower than if it had been an action or horror story.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

DC comics: Horny (and going down on someone) is prohibited.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gripweed posted:

I read the Harley Quinn prequel comic, Harleen. It's the first of DC's new Black Label series I'd read and it was interesting to see the limits they put on their "mature" imprint. Like, characters say gently caress, but it's only printed when it's like, "I hosed up!". When characters use it to mean sex, then it still gets the classic comic book censoring. So the word itself is fine, but the sexual connotation of the word isn't.

I liked how it presented Harley and Ivy's early relationship. Especially since the back of the book said that they're gonna get together in Harleen 2. They don't really have a relationship. They get along, and maybe Ivy saw a little something there but Harleen definitely didn't. That feels realistic, that pre-Joker Harley Quinn wouldn't be in a place in her life where the plant lady would be a potential romantic partner. And it also sets up their future relationship better that Ivy might have been attracted to Harleen but didn't try to vampishly seduce her or anything.

But my main criticism is that for a romance comic about Harley Quinn and the Joker written by the Sunstone guy, it wasn't anywhere near horny enough. But that might be another limit DC set, the comic could only be a little horny. And since it was an explicit romance story, maybe the horniness limit was lower than if it had been an action or horror story.

Sejic probably did have some constraints, as you said. We know that DC are OK with some swears and gore in Black Label books featuring the big capes, but we also know Bat-wang is verboten, as is Bat-rugmunching.

Plus he's done a bunch of naughty fanart (nothing truly explicit, I don't think, but definitely risque) so he might have been wary of editors cracking down if he seemed to be going that way. But mostly, I think he's just very serious about his romance stories being romantic but not glamorising messed up stuff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/look-back-chapter-1/chapter/23027
A new one shot manga by Tatsuki Fugimoto, the creator of Chainsaw Man/Fire Punch. It is free to read and I highly recommend everyone check it out as it incredibly good. The story follows two middle school girls who draw manga, Fujino is popular but kind of a dabbler. while Kyomoto is a technically talented loner. An encounter changes their lives forever.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Oh comics, I knew you Horatio.

https://twitter.com/Steph_Smash/status/1417146197773594625?s=20

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
No one in their momma is not gonna read it??

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

site posted:

No one in their momma is not gonna read it??
Didn't realize there was so many literate fetuses.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Phillips is writing Harley Quinn, right? What did she do correct to piss off this dork?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Phillips is writing Harley Quinn, right? What did she do correct to piss off this dork?

Probably just being a woman writing a comic was enough. I haven't read her Harley Quinn, maybe there's a panel where Harley is wearing sensible shoes, or is full clothed?

Kinda want this shirt now.

https://twitter.com/Steph_Smash/status/1417174458037678083?s=20

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i like her HQ so far but there isn't anything going on it to even get mad about. so yeah, just woman writing a book is a crime, etc, etc

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Saw some recent Dilbert comics posted on another site and good Lord is it some dire stuff, this might just be the most severe drop in quality for a newspaper comic(by a single creator) from its peak I've ever seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Saw some recent Dilbert comics posted on another site and good Lord is it some dire stuff, this might just be the most severe drop in quality for a newspaper comic(by a single creator) from its peak I've ever seen

When you go full Mr. A, you have to start at the level of a Ditko to still look fine.