Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

I reinstalled BF4 again because other people were into it. BF4 doesn't hold up as well as my nostalgia does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yami Fenrir posted:

Agreed. I hope the whole claim of "more destructible environment" is true. Bring back BC2's "we accidental'd the entire village" dice!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj-401T8JXM&t=307s :haw:

I also just reinstalled BF4 yesterday. I have 8 whole hours logged in BF1 and now 16 on BF4 after playing a bunch yesterday and this morning... But uhhhh is there no way to customize my class loadouts other than loading into a game and waiting around on the Deploy screen????

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Philman posted:

I reinstalled BF4 again because other people were into it. BF4 doesn't hold up as well as my nostalgia does.

Yeah, my biggest issue so far is the movement feels slow and clunky.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

BF4 was built around battlelog so you need to do that stuff on the battlelog website. the UI you see today was added way after BF1 was launched because they stopped using battlelog to launch the game.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

jisforjosh posted:

Yeah, my biggest issue so far is the movement feels slow and clunky.

yeah, that would be my single biggest issue too. the movement feels slow compared to how quickly you die. I feel like you can rotate quickly but cant move forwards, backwards, and laterally, as quickly as in newer games. there are also all the little movement improvements they made between BF4->BFV that are missing which you wouldn't notice if you didn't ever have them.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Philman posted:

BF4 was built around battlelog so you need to do that stuff on the battlelog website. the UI you see today was added way after BF1 was launched because they stopped using battlelog to launch the game.

Ahh, I was surprised when there was an in-game server browser, I would've sworn BF4 still used Battlelog. Glad to see they removed it, but dang that's pretty annoying to have to go to a website to manage this stuff now.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Playing bf4 the past week, the crazy thing to me is just how good it really was. I went on a few year forced hiatus from shooters after bf4 due to nothing good being out and then went fortnite-apex-warzone until last fall or so when I again was tired of all available offerings.

Going back now, the maps are so good. Ah, maps! what a novel concept. Not just one big half assed piece of garbage on repeat, actual varying places to shoot people! And you can hate Metro if you like, but then you have your Zavods, Hainans, Paracels, Golmuds, etc. I wonder will people finally be tiring enough of the BR formula to give 2042 a chance at success outside of hangers-on like us.

I did find the audio was crappy though, and I realized I didn't have war tapes enabled. What a huge difference to the audio quality and immersiveness.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Does anyone know how to change emblems now? I seem to be stuck with the SNAFU emblem instead of my BUTT clan emblem

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
The one thing I'm actually liking about BF4 compared to 1/V is how clunky the movement is. The pacing of the latest games is part of the problem due to how easily people can run around the map like madmen.

One thing I'm remembering about BF4 is how few of the maps have any loving cover, though.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

What is the deal with BF4's "recent" server browser tab just... not listing most servers? It happened like three times now that I played on a good server, quit out, went to recent to favourite it, and it just plain wasn't there. The only ones that actually are listed are weird gimmick servers (bolt-actions only, hardcore, five billion tickets, etc.) that I visited by accident and bailed out of immediately.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
getting back into BF4 is fun because there's so many players and the maps are great, but Hardline has much better movement and gunplay- it's just that it's limited to infantry maps and they're aren't many players

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Going back to 4. Finally remembering how to play a bit and at least mostly maintain a positive k/d. The big thing that stands out is how washed out everything looks. Like it's surprisingly difficult to see a drat thing.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

dog nougat posted:

Going back to 4. Finally remembering how to play a bit and at least mostly maintain a positive k/d. The big thing that stands out is how washed out everything looks. Like it's surprisingly difficult to see a drat thing.

Yeah the game definitely benefits from ReShade/SweetFX/Nvidia Filters for seeing people

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

just got like a dozen kills in BF4 with the MAV by using it to blow up enemy c4. drat this game is still good

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

just got like a dozen kills in BF4 with the MAV by using it to blow up enemy c4. drat this game is still good

This is basically the only way I can have fun on Silk Road.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

That map is laser lock city. Get a PLD plus support plus Javelin crew and just go nuts.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

for silk, i do prefer to be the one putting c4 on their bike and bombing tanks nonstop

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

jisforjosh posted:

Yeah the game definitely benefits from ReShade/SweetFX/Nvidia Filters for seeing people

Unfortunately I'm on ps4, so not a drat thing I can do about it. Just permanently stuck with the default horrible contrast settings.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Jumping on again on PC now, origin is same as here. I mostly play hardcore though unless we can get a dependable squad together that all wants otherwise

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Death to all tanks.

Shape charges on fast vehicles forever and ever.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

pour one out for those of us playing BF4 on xbox locked to 720P60.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Chronojam posted:

That map is laser lock city. Get a PLD plus support plus Javelin crew and just go nuts.

Sure but that requires effort to organize. If there's C4 bombing going on it can just be you and your MAV.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Played my first few rounds of bf4 in forever and it's still as easy as it was in 1999 or whenever it was new

Was surprised to see that I had the QBU-88 equipped for all the classes, but it is still a beast for every range and using it was like coming home. Hope the DMRs in nubf feel half as good, because none in bf5 really did.

The two shot kill SLRs in bf5, like the selbie and ZH are really powerful but you can't spam them at long distances like you can my special bullpuppy boy

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Wow by the time BF2042 comes out I will have unlocked ONE new gun in BF4 at this rate

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah it absolutely sucks

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
We have all these guns for you to play with! Isn't it great?

Not now though

No no no, idiot

Maybe in a month? Maybe two months? You have to work for these toys, moron

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah BF4 was the grindiest fuckin game. It took way too long for me to get the guns that I wanted out of the gate. I still don't have most of the LMGs unlocked lmao

At least for Assault they gave you the SCAR-H fairly early and that gun was just unfair at medium range.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

yeah drat I forgot BF4 has one of the worst unlock systems in video game history lol.

There's basically zero chance 2042 won't be a carbon copy of COD's progression system, battle pass and MTX though. Which is fine tbh. It's better than any approach BF has done.

Although to be fair I think BF5 pioneered the $20 skin though. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I remember my jaw dropping the first time I saw how much it cost to get some character skin in that game. Which is the norm now.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

And because of it, Riot charges like $70 for skin bundles in Valorant. Sometimes more!

Orv
May 4, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

yeah drat I forgot BF4 has one of the worst unlock systems in video game history lol.

There's basically zero chance 2042 won't be a carbon copy of COD's progression system, battle pass and MTX though. Which is fine tbh. It's better than any approach BF has done.

Although to be fair I think BF5 pioneered the $20 skin though. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I remember my jaw dropping the first time I saw how much it cost to get some character skin in that game. Which is the norm now.

Rainbow Six Siege superskins are $18 a pop since 2016 I believe? And League of Legends has had $30 skins for years.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Warzone dared me to pay 20 bucks apiece for either John McClane or Rambo in the last season. That poo poo is hilarious. Not in a million years, EA and/or Activision.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
$30?

thats cute

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

That's not developer-set though. That's entirely a secondary market thing.

A factory new Dragon Lore AWP has its value for the same reason a bitcoin is worth $40000 $35000 $25000 $30000.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
FWIW while it's been ages I don't think the weapon grind was that bad?

It's not like you'll be switching guns every respawn anyway (if anything, having to get like 250 kills with every gun to unlock scopes and stuff is a worse offender than the weapon grind itself) so it's mostly just something that happens on the side. And the starting weapons are usually pretty solid anyway.

The class and vehicle kit grinds now, though, those were stupid and locked stuff away that made other people straight up better than you (the rocket protection system for tanks and such being probably the worst offender)

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Like many others, I jumped back into Battlefield 4 recently to play around (I played a ton of 3 but didn't stick around for 4 after it's obscenely buggy launch window)

This just happened and I had that "ONLY IN BATTLEFIELD" tagline flash through my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4xvpUyCFFE

Wasn't what I had planned but.... hey, whatever works! :haw:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

the grind was that bad because they sold Battlefield Premium which gave you better progression and they also sold fast track MTX poo poo that unlocked all items for a specific class or vehicle.

and they kept doubling down on that poo poo until Battlefront II.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Wasn't the fast pass stuff introduced fairly late in the game's lifecycle?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Anyone still playing cs obviously suffers from severe dementia and should be exploited as such

Bob Wins
Oct 25, 2010
One thing I hate in modern shooters is the whole "shooting an unsilenced weapon makes you show up on the mini map" bit. It was nice not to have it in BF1 but with the return to modern times I bet it will be back to bug me again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

codo27 posted:

Anyone still playing cs obviously suffers from severe dementia and should be exploited as such

Essentially paper and dice gamers

Yes my first custom title was counter strike related don't worry about it